Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

@  RichardT1977 : (14 April 2019 - 06:37 PM)

So it's like a prequel to Cabaret?

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 04:02 PM)

And man, characters are smoking literally EVERYWHERE.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:27 PM)

Also, full frontal male nudity. (There's been quite a bit of female nudity since episode 1.)

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:26 PM)

Episode 6, and Hitler is randomly name-checked.

@  Xellos : (14 April 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Runa runa!

@  Sabrblade : (14 April 2019 - 09:10 AM)

Wocka wocka!

@  The Doctor Who : (14 April 2019 - 06:59 AM)

Lewd

@  Paladin : (14 April 2019 - 06:57 AM)

troutstick.

@  MEDdMI : (14 April 2019 - 06:34 AM)

With a trout.

@  Xellos : (14 April 2019 - 05:44 AM)

With a stick?

Photo

Devil May Cry 5

102 replies to this topic

#1 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

Releasing on March 8th, 2019!

Just thought I'd make an actual thread since there's new footage and I'm super hyped.

Original E3 announcement trailer:

New Gamescom 2018 footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmZdyeCRgus

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~Coco Chanel

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#2 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The New Year brings New Powers!

• Staff
  • 12559 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

I cannot wait for this!

fslookup.jpg

#3 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:50 AM

They'd previously talked about how the Devil Breakers can be destroyed by enemies, but I am slightly surprised how many ways you have to deliberately break them for effects.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#4 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1331 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:38 AM

Looks like Nero has a total of eight (two sets of four) to start with, and there's probably going to be more types and capacity upgrades.

Still, this is the first combat resource that can really be depleted that I can recall in the series.  Sure, some attacks deplete meters, but those could be refilled just by fighting.  Breaker drops look to be generous, but they still depend on item drops.  It's an interesting change, although I'm not sure how fun it'll be.  If nothing else, it'll encourage players to run through all the types rather than relying on just one.

Unfortunately, fools are often planproof.

#5 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

We can apparently buy more from Nico's shop mid-mission (that's what calling her on the phone is for), but it's not in the demo. Not that I'm disagreeing; how exactly they balance the Devil Breaker's "resource management" aspect will be very important.

THFpTSB.jpg

Edited by HomelessOne, 22 August 2018 - 02:49 PM.

#6 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19254 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:21 PM

Looks like Nero has a total of eight (two sets of four) to start with, and there's probably going to be more types and capacity upgrades.

Still, this is the first combat resource that can really be depleted that I can recall in the series.  Sure, some attacks deplete meters, but those could be refilled just by fighting.  Breaker drops look to be generous, but they still depend on item drops.  It's an interesting change, although I'm not sure how fun it'll be.  If nothing else, it'll encourage players to run through all the types rather than relying on just one.

The Breaker drops in the gameplay demo seemed pretty placeholder-y, liberally sprinkled throughout the level so you wouldn't have to worry about managing them too much.  I don't think they'll just be lying on the ground randomly in the final game.

Dante's new bike looks cool.  At least, now he doesn't have to borrow (and destroy) Lady's bike.  Twin buzzsaw swords!

Edited by mx-01 archon, 23 August 2018 - 02:22 PM.

#7 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

Actually they will be lying on the ground randomly in the final game, I just imagine not as frequently as we saw in the demo. The director talked about it in an interview not long after e3.

Can you tell us about Nero's new prosthetic arm?

Okabe: The "Devil Breaker", the prosthetic arm created by Nico, will change the game drastically. Devil Breaker has some slots for cartridges, and you can carry them when the mission begins. They are very powerful, but fragile. You have to dodge enemy attacks or they will break very easily, so you need to put a new cartridge when one breaks. There are some cartridges placed in each level, and you can also buy them from Nico who will arrive in a van. The arm is one of Nero's core mechanics in this game.

Edited by HomelessOne, 23 August 2018 - 04:38 PM.

#8 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19254 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:58 PM

I meant more like they wouldn't just be there for no reason, but placed like most DMC powerups, in breakables and such.

From what I can tell, though, even if you're a bit careless with your Breaker usage, you won't be left completely in the deep end.  It looks like the Whip Arm is the back-up weapon, its reel serving as the attachment point for all the other Breakers.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 23 August 2018 - 05:00 PM.

#9 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:09 PM

#10 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:27 AM

The official site's descriptions are so bombastic I felt they needed to be shared.

Devil Breaker

New power for a broken hunter

A weaponized prosthetic arm made by Nico to replace Nero's missing limb.
High output performance makes them break easily, so Nero usually carries multiple Devil Breakers into battle, swapping out broken arms for new ones.
The base of the Devil Breaker contains the Wire Snatch ability, which pulls smaller foes to him or sends him rocketing towards larger targets, living or otherwise.

---

Overture

Iconic demon shocker

The first Devil Breaker built by Nico.
An orthodox weapon compared to the other arms, damaging enemies with electric bursts. Its name is derived from this straightforward functionality.
The first Devil Breaker available in the game, this arm is easy for starting players to use.

---

Gerbera

Obliterating recoil laser

A Devil Breaker that launches shockwaves from its petal-shaped complex reverberatory furnace. The recoil can be used for instantaneous movement, and converging the shockwaves makes it fire a high-output energy beam. Beautiful design belies tremendous firepower.

---

Ragtime

Versatile time stopper

This arm was crafted from special materials obtained from a powerful foe.
Creates special force fields that warp and slow the flow of time for all within them.
Convenient for taking on multiple foes at once, the utility of this Devil Breaker varies based on your play style.

---

Punch Line

Flying haymaker

Rare demonic minerals give this Devil Breaker jet propulsion power, packing incredible destructive force behind each blow. The arm can detach to fly around autonomously, during which Nero can ride it. Slam into demons in this mode for even more damage.

---

Buster Arm

Replicated Devil Bringer

Nico tried to recreate Nero's lost demonic arm, resulting in a powerhouse capable of throwing enemies with devastating force. This brute strength comes at the price of reduced durability, but the chance to toss around massive demons is well worth it.

Edited by HomelessOne, 24 August 2018 - 03:27 AM.

#11 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The New Year brings New Powers!

• Staff
  • 12559 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:05 AM

So Neros lost his Devil Arm? I'm guessing that means he's lost Yamato too.

This is an interesting dynamic. I hope the story is crazy enough to live up to this.

fslookup.jpg

#12 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, if you go back to the e3 trailer there's a sequence near the end where we see a "mysterious" figure tear the Devil Bringer off.

Nero can wear his hood, and the classic revving taunt now fills an Exceed bar:

https://i.imgur.com/aWE48wf.gifv

#13 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 593 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:55 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about Nero losing the 'easy and fun' gameplay to Dante's 'difficult but ultimately satisfying'. Maybe V will take up Nero's old role?

Yeah, if you go back to the e3 trailer there's a sequence near the end where we see a "mysterious" figure tear the Devil Bringer off.

I mean, it's more that Nero gets torn off the Devil Bringer, mysterious-hooded-stranger-who's-totally-Vergil holds onto the arm and pushes Nero away.

#14 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5010 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 24 August 2018 - 09:28 PM

I'm a little TORN (sorry) about Nero losing his devil arm. I do like what I see with the Devil Breakers, but not really a fan of them being limited use. I kinda feel I'd want to find a way to just have one permanently and be done with it. I'm sure when I actually get to play the game though, I'll likely come around.

I'm really curious as to what's happened to Kyrie.

And look, I'm sorry but from what little I've seen of her, I really do NOT like this Nico girl. >_>

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#15 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:25 AM

u8Vz0Ha.jpg

#16 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:44 AM

We've had confirmation that this comes after DMC2, which continues the trend of no two games in the series being next to each other in the timeline. Hopefully this also means that we'll see Lucia at some point too, she's the only playable character that was left out of 4SE.

#17 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

Another good look at Gerbera's aerial charged attack.

#18 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:55 PM

https://gematsu.com/...eakers-gameplay

Of note they show off most of the functions of the Tomboy ("Exceed Arm" in pic before), Helter Skelter ("Drill Arm"), and the Rawhide ("Whip Arm") Devil Breakers. Punch Line and Ragtime also get some proper gameplay showing, so we get a better idea of exactly how they work.

Edited by HomelessOne, 31 August 2018 - 11:11 PM.

#19 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:02 PM

Someone who has most certainly violated an NDA of some sort has been sharing pics and footage from a playtest copy of the game. If you're the sort that wants to avoid spoilers I'd tread very carefully, as they're popping up all over.

#20 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28124 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:34 AM

Releasing on March 8th, 2019!

Just thought I'd make an actual thread since there's new footage and I'm super hyped.

It's pretty adorable.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users