Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 June 2019 - 10:12 PM)

It's like drawing someone in the "superhero landing" pose. It's just part of the cultural vocabulary at this point.

@  Arazyr : (25 June 2019 - 07:14 PM)

I can hear that post... *shudder*

@  B-Fox : (25 June 2019 - 06:09 PM)

So why does Cyberverse sound like . . . *that*?

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Also, the theoretical new image would be a new compostion, it would just be individual bodies, or even just body parts, that are based on existing references by other creators, with the major caveat that there is more than one example for each reference so it's basically more like "following an established trend" than "copying someone's original creation".

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:03 PM)

Well, an homage is usually marked by a signature along the lines of "artist X after artist Y". I wasn't thinking about recreating something particularly memorable, just looking for reference images (just of a pose/perspective/layout) that looks like what I want, then finding more examples that just happen to look very similar, and it cannot be determined which version came "first".

@  ZakuConvoy : (25 June 2019 - 03:09 PM)

What you're describing is more an "homage" than plagiarism, really. I'm assuming you would be using different characters. It's basically like all the comic covers that homage the death of Supergirl cover from Crisis on Infinite Earths...but with different characters. It's not plagiarism, it's a reference. But if several artists have a memorable layout and are all using it, chances are it actually is referencing something memorably original.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Would that still qualify as plagiarism? After all, it could be argued that what I've recreated isn't that original to begin with since several other people have supposedly had the same general idependently from each other.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:54 PM)

And I were then to create a new image, not traced but maybe "swiped", except I wouldn't copy a specific source image, but merely recreate the basic pose and perspective shared between all of them...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:52 PM)

*deleted*

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:49 PM)

And out of sheer coincidence, they all feature very similar ideas, concepts, poses and/or perspectives, supposedly with none of the original creators having copied from one of the others...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:47 PM)

Assuming I were to find not one but two, three, four or even more source images, all of them by different artists, or by different photographers depicting different models...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:45 PM)

Just out of curiosity, a question regarding the concept of plagiarism:

@  Benbot : (25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM)

That game needs a remake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 08:57 AM)

I am Error.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 June 2019 - 08:17 AM)

There is no error. There is only Zuul.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 07:51 AM)

The unicron singularity fixes all continuity errors.. including Power Rangers related ones now!

@  MEDdMI : (25 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

I reject your canon and substitute my own

@  unluckiness : (25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM)

Answer: It doesn't matter because even if there was one, it was never relevant in S1 and it got blown up with his original body

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 June 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Most people think Transformers canon is a series of discrete parallel lines, really it's more like a big ball of canony-wanony... stuff.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 June 2019 - 06:31 PM)

Hate to say this, but the simple answer is that you are thinking too hard and realistically, it does not matter.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2019 - 04:57 PM)

Don't tell me what to do.

@  Paladin : (24 June 2019 - 04:16 PM)

don't cross the streams.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 03:03 PM)

Or is this what AVP meant when he said that condradictory streams formed the JG1 timeline?

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:25 PM)

I don't like that idea.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:24 PM)

In Ask Vector Prime, it was mentioned that in the Beast Wars 2 universe, Convoys all have Energon Matrices and that when Optimus Primal from the Japanese Beast Wars stream was transported to the Beast Wars 2 stream, his history was subtly altered that he too possessed an Energon Matrix. What does this mean? That Beast Wars 2 is actually not canon to the Japanese Beast Wars?

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 08:54 AM)

yeah, I've got a few others that I need to check out/get removed. The nose one is small but annoying since I hit it every time I blow my nose.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Try to get a histopath examination if it isn't too expensive over there. It's probably just a mole but I'd think certainty would be better.

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM)

@unluckiness I know, plan to get it removed but gotta get an appt first

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

oops... typed that in the wrong field. :)

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

gizmoboy

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 03:18 AM)

That is not a good thing, especially in the long term

@  MEDdMI : (23 June 2019 - 10:17 PM)

So who wants to hear about this mole on my nose that I keep scratching open

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 June 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Yeah, it's kind of defeating the purpose of making political discussions more restricted if you're just gonna go at it elsewhere on this site.

@  Telly : (23 June 2019 - 07:06 PM)

that would probly fit better in the p & r thread. its there for things just like this

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:29 PM)

The citizens resisted by buying up all the town's beer reserves so the Nazis would have to stay sober the entire time.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:28 PM)

Meanwhile, congratulations civil resistance, part 2: So a group of Nazis were holding one of their Good Old Times Reenactment festivals in a small East German town.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:26 PM)

It's basically like an anti-Trump candidate winning Texas.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:25 PM)

The mayoral elections of Istanbul are considered to be a key indicator for the political climate in the entire country.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:24 PM)

This time, it was a landslide victory for the opposition's candidate.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:23 PM)

After president Erdogan had a court revoke the results of the mayoral election of Istanbul after the opposition party's candidate had won by a small margin, the election was repeated today.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Congratulations, democracy part 1: Today is a historic day for Turkey.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 June 2019 - 02:31 PM)

Convert, does he timeout?

@  unluckiness : (23 June 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Did he form the feet and legs or the arms and body?

@  Patch : (22 June 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Nah, he was one of the Lions

@  MEDdMI : (22 June 2019 - 04:45 PM)

Is he a Shellformer

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2019 - 12:38 PM)

Supposedly it's about that football player Calvin Johnson.

@  Pennpenn : (22 June 2019 - 07:03 AM)

I'm vaguely confused why there is a Nicki Minaj song in my youtube reccomendations, but even more confused as to why that song (which appears to be from an official account) is called "MEGATRON".

@  Liege : (21 June 2019 - 10:03 PM)

Alpha Q all night long.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 June 2019 - 10:44 AM)

Only if you ask nicely, Silv.

@  RichardT1977 : (21 June 2019 - 09:42 AM)

1998 Zilla is the Gaijin era.

Photo
- - - - -

Upcoming Picard Star Trek TV series featuring Patrick Stewart

149 replies to this topic

#121 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12426 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

I mean, Pocket's license is specifically tied to the film/TV franchise. They have to account for the new series, even if it doesn't have to account for them, which means they'll inevitably need to either course-correct or retcon. For that matter, that's been why they've been dragging their feet getting to Hobus, to see what the official canon has to say about that event.

The license has specifically forbidden them from getting as far as the events of Hobus. They haven't been waiting for the official canon. They flat-out couldn't go there.

And, no, they don't HAVE to account fro the new series. They'd just drop the outdated canon and start up with the new. No need to reference stuff that's been invalidated at all.

In fact, they've done it before.

New teaser trailer dropped! It is pretty good! Not much content in it other than he was an Admiral when he retired.

Leaving aside the novel discontinuity entirely (and, again, I never expected them to retain it), I have trouble believing Picard would ever have accepted a promotion to Admiral.

That said, i'm intrigued to see where this goes.

#122 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38613 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

Everyone knows Starfleet Admirals are all evil anyway.  The shows told me so, several times.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#123 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11116 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:05 PM

And, no, they don't HAVE to account fro the new series. They'd just drop the outdated canon and start up with the new.

That's what I mean; they can't just ignore the new series and keep doing the old (as they could with the Abramsverse because it's explicitly a different continuity). One way or another, the books being published next year will include the Picard series as part of the canon.

The only question is if the Picard series will explicitly rule out anything from the novels. Because if it doesn't, I guarantee the TrekLit writers and editors will find ways to make it fit.

#124 tec

tec

Put a little spring in your step

• Supporter
  • 30446 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:19 PM

*Watches Terminator Teaser*...meh

*Watches Star Trek Picard teaser get goose bumps and chills*  Now thats what I'm talking about!!

Edited by tec, 23 May 2019 - 03:20 PM.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#125 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 30446 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

The teaser if you wanna just see it here

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#126 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12426 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

And, no, they don't HAVE to account fro the new series. They'd just drop the outdated canon and start up with the new.

That's what I mean; they can't just ignore the new series and keep doing the old (as they could with the Abramsverse because it's explicitly a different continuity). One way or another, the books being published next year will include the Picard series as part of the canon.

The only question is if the Picard series will explicitly rule out anything from the novels. Because if it doesn't, I guarantee the TrekLit writers and editors will find ways to make it fit.

Most minor of spoilers:

Spoiler

• tec likes this

#127 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5088 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:36 PM

I know it's not a lot to go on, but that little teaser trailer doesn't give me high hopes the writers and producers know what they're doing.  Picard isn't supposed to be a tragic character, but they keep trying to turn him into one.  I don't want to see another situation like Luke Skywalker where they turn our bold, optimistic hero into a bitter, sad old man just living his last days alone in isolation.  That just isn't Jean-Luc Picard.  

#128 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 18047 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

I dunno, you can do most anything with a character... Picard could be an interesting conflicted character under the right circumstances.

'WHAT TERRIBLE THING MADE YOU RETIRE FROM THE GROUP YOU ONCE LOVED?!?' is not those circumstances.  It's a tired, tired, tired cliche and really just emphasizes that all their budget went to Patrick Stewart and they had none left over for good writers.

nzo8WYb.png

#129 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34217 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:51 AM

I thought Patrick Stewart hadn’t aged since the 80s, but you can tell in that teaser that he started up again at some point.

#130 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9426 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:06 AM

If the trailer uploaded by CBS All Access is region-locked, then try these:

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#131 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3150 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

The teaser looks kind of promising, I get the feeling they'll do what Arrow was doing, having two stories running at the same time, one story be set in the present day for Picard while the other will show flash backs to the rescure that is mentioned in the trailer and the battle it hints at.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#132 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3009 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

Behind Picard...there are....four...lights???
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#133 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:04 AM

But will Picard run over aliens in a dune-buggy?

Edited by Trpodeca, 24 May 2019 - 08:04 AM.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#134 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38825 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

You have to remember, that Kirk told him not be an admiral in 2371, when he had been a captain for decades! His first ship, he was captain of for 22 years, and then he got to be the captain of the Enterprise for decades. He is the perfect person to be an admiral, and he probably was ready to be one at that point. Kirk didn't enjoy being an admiral because of who he was. He wanted to be in control, at the helm of his ship, battling aliens, discovering new worlds, and banging their women. That was Kirk. Picard was an entirely different person.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#135 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3009 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:33 AM

True and when you think about the context, fans had watched Kirk for over 25 years by that point. Picard? 7.

In universe Picard was far more experienced than Kirk. In the real world, Picard was the newbie. It was written for us; Picard probably noted the comment and moved on.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#136 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12426 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

Maybe I'm too tied to the characterization of Picard in the novels. Picard in the novels had no interest in becoming admiral, quite explicitly.

He's an explorer at heart. Being tied to a desk would have been anathema to him.

He doesn't have to resemble Kirk to share Kirk's antipathy to becoming admiral.

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 24 May 2019 - 11:38 AM.

#137 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 30446 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

Sometimes its not even your choice sometimes its pushed apon you and maybe thats what happened here we will see when it airs

Edited by tec, 24 May 2019 - 01:01 PM.

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#138 Fenrir

Fenrir
  • Citizen
  • 800 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

I don't see why anyone who ever aspired to be a starship captain would want to become an admiral.  That doesn't seem like any kind of upgrade.

(Well, I can see why Janeway might be done with captaining, but in normal circumstances, no.)

Edited by Fenrir, 24 May 2019 - 03:16 PM.

#139 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12426 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:20 PM

Sometimes its not even your choice sometimes its pushed apon you and maybe thats what happened here we will see when it airs

Oh, I agree. Mostly just trying to push back against this idea that Picard (not being Kirk) would have just ignored him.

#140 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38825 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

Maybe I'm too tied to the characterization of Picard in the novels. Picard in the novels had no interest in becoming admiral, quite explicitly.

He's an explorer at heart. Being tied to a desk would have been anathema to him.

He doesn't have to resemble Kirk to share Kirk's antipathy to becoming admiral.

As an admiral, he would still have a ship. Ross had one, Riker had one, and he could have one and be in charge of exploration. Just because he is an admiral doesn't mean that he has to stay at a desk on a star base or Earth.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users