Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 June 2019 - 10:12 PM)

It's like drawing someone in the "superhero landing" pose. It's just part of the cultural vocabulary at this point.

@  Arazyr : (25 June 2019 - 07:14 PM)

I can hear that post... *shudder*

@  B-Fox : (25 June 2019 - 06:09 PM)

So why does Cyberverse sound like . . . *that*?

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Also, the theoretical new image would be a new compostion, it would just be individual bodies, or even just body parts, that are based on existing references by other creators, with the major caveat that there is more than one example for each reference so it's basically more like "following an established trend" than "copying someone's original creation".

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:03 PM)

Well, an homage is usually marked by a signature along the lines of "artist X after artist Y". I wasn't thinking about recreating something particularly memorable, just looking for reference images (just of a pose/perspective/layout) that looks like what I want, then finding more examples that just happen to look very similar, and it cannot be determined which version came "first".

@  ZakuConvoy : (25 June 2019 - 03:09 PM)

What you're describing is more an "homage" than plagiarism, really. I'm assuming you would be using different characters. It's basically like all the comic covers that homage the death of Supergirl cover from Crisis on Infinite Earths...but with different characters. It's not plagiarism, it's a reference. But if several artists have a memorable layout and are all using it, chances are it actually is referencing something memorably original.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Would that still qualify as plagiarism? After all, it could be argued that what I've recreated isn't that original to begin with since several other people have supposedly had the same general idependently from each other.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:54 PM)

And I were then to create a new image, not traced but maybe "swiped", except I wouldn't copy a specific source image, but merely recreate the basic pose and perspective shared between all of them...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:52 PM)

*deleted*

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:49 PM)

And out of sheer coincidence, they all feature very similar ideas, concepts, poses and/or perspectives, supposedly with none of the original creators having copied from one of the others...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:47 PM)

Assuming I were to find not one but two, three, four or even more source images, all of them by different artists, or by different photographers depicting different models...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:45 PM)

Just out of curiosity, a question regarding the concept of plagiarism:

@  Benbot : (25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM)

That game needs a remake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 08:57 AM)

I am Error.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 June 2019 - 08:17 AM)

There is no error. There is only Zuul.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 07:51 AM)

The unicron singularity fixes all continuity errors.. including Power Rangers related ones now!

@  MEDdMI : (25 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

I reject your canon and substitute my own

@  unluckiness : (25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM)

Answer: It doesn't matter because even if there was one, it was never relevant in S1 and it got blown up with his original body

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 June 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Most people think Transformers canon is a series of discrete parallel lines, really it's more like a big ball of canony-wanony... stuff.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 June 2019 - 06:31 PM)

Hate to say this, but the simple answer is that you are thinking too hard and realistically, it does not matter.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2019 - 04:57 PM)

Don't tell me what to do.

@  Paladin : (24 June 2019 - 04:16 PM)

don't cross the streams.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 03:03 PM)

Or is this what AVP meant when he said that condradictory streams formed the JG1 timeline?

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:25 PM)

I don't like that idea.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:24 PM)

In Ask Vector Prime, it was mentioned that in the Beast Wars 2 universe, Convoys all have Energon Matrices and that when Optimus Primal from the Japanese Beast Wars stream was transported to the Beast Wars 2 stream, his history was subtly altered that he too possessed an Energon Matrix. What does this mean? That Beast Wars 2 is actually not canon to the Japanese Beast Wars?

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 08:54 AM)

yeah, I've got a few others that I need to check out/get removed. The nose one is small but annoying since I hit it every time I blow my nose.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Try to get a histopath examination if it isn't too expensive over there. It's probably just a mole but I'd think certainty would be better.

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM)

@unluckiness I know, plan to get it removed but gotta get an appt first

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

oops... typed that in the wrong field. :)

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

gizmoboy

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 03:18 AM)

That is not a good thing, especially in the long term

@  MEDdMI : (23 June 2019 - 10:17 PM)

So who wants to hear about this mole on my nose that I keep scratching open

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 June 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Yeah, it's kind of defeating the purpose of making political discussions more restricted if you're just gonna go at it elsewhere on this site.

@  Telly : (23 June 2019 - 07:06 PM)

that would probly fit better in the p & r thread. its there for things just like this

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:29 PM)

The citizens resisted by buying up all the town's beer reserves so the Nazis would have to stay sober the entire time.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:28 PM)

Meanwhile, congratulations civil resistance, part 2: So a group of Nazis were holding one of their Good Old Times Reenactment festivals in a small East German town.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:26 PM)

It's basically like an anti-Trump candidate winning Texas.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:25 PM)

The mayoral elections of Istanbul are considered to be a key indicator for the political climate in the entire country.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:24 PM)

This time, it was a landslide victory for the opposition's candidate.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:23 PM)

After president Erdogan had a court revoke the results of the mayoral election of Istanbul after the opposition party's candidate had won by a small margin, the election was repeated today.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Congratulations, democracy part 1: Today is a historic day for Turkey.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 June 2019 - 02:31 PM)

Convert, does he timeout?

@  unluckiness : (23 June 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Did he form the feet and legs or the arms and body?

@  Patch : (22 June 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Nah, he was one of the Lions

@  MEDdMI : (22 June 2019 - 04:45 PM)

Is he a Shellformer

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2019 - 12:38 PM)

Supposedly it's about that football player Calvin Johnson.

@  Pennpenn : (22 June 2019 - 07:03 AM)

I'm vaguely confused why there is a Nicki Minaj song in my youtube reccomendations, but even more confused as to why that song (which appears to be from an official account) is called "MEGATRON".

@  Liege : (21 June 2019 - 10:03 PM)

Alpha Q all night long.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 June 2019 - 10:44 AM)

Only if you ask nicely, Silv.

@  RichardT1977 : (21 June 2019 - 09:42 AM)

1998 Zilla is the Gaijin era.

Photo
- - - - -

Upcoming Picard Star Trek TV series featuring Patrick Stewart

149 replies to this topic

#101 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5088 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:29 PM

They just want people to be very clear on what they're getting.  There are many potential things worth worrying/complaining about; this isn't one of them.

#102 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34217 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:07 PM

Make it so. #StarTrekPicard is coming to @CBSAllAccess. pic.twitter.com/CozpNKLxpQ

— Star Trek on CBS All Access (@startrekcbs) May 15, 2019
<script async src="https://platform.twi....com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I did not expect that to just be a black screen turning into the logo that you see before clicking play.

#103 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9104 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

This is the first time that we've had a Star Trek series centered solely around one character.  Particularly one who's already a cultural icon.  It's not creative, but it makes sense.  It's going to get the attention of casual fans.

#104 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9104 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:32 PM

Looks like the Starfleet uniforms have the TNG silhouette with a high collar and separate shirt/pants with the color layout of Voyager jumpsuits.  Possibly with AGT commbadges, but I can't be sure.

Attached Thumbnails

• NhN6Hwo.jpg

#105 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38825 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

Finally saw the clip. It was just a few seconds that shows an Ensign asking Picard his name, and Picard just giving him this humorous look. 

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#106 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7870 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

Looks like the Starfleet uniforms have the TNG silhouette with a high collar and separate shirt/pants with the color layout of Voyager jumpsuits.  Possibly with AGT commbadges, but I can't be sure.

probly a flashback or time travel. cant see them going back to the old uniform style

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#107 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11116 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

No, those are completely new uniforms, not just re-used/reproduced costumes.

Remember that this is 20 years after the "new" uniform design seen in the TNG movies. It's time for a change.

(As for a practical, production-based reason, high-collared costumes are probably easier to deal with than the layered grey-shouldered uniforms.)

#108 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:33 PM

Strange they'd go back to the colored yoke, though, very similar to VOY's uniforms (which were also 2 piece, whereas I believe DS9's early uniforms were jumpsuits). I definitely prefer the TNG movie style gray yoke with colored undershirt to denote division.

#109 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7870 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:48 PM

No, those are completely new uniforms, not just re-used/reproduced costumes.

Remember that this is 20 years after the "new" uniform design seen in the TNG movies. It's time for a change.

not really a change though is it? i mean, its basically a redesigned ds9/voyager uniform and seems like a step backwards. im not saying i dont like them. its just weve seen a similar design before and i was hoping for something new

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#110 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34217 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

My favorite uniforms were the movie 2-6 and the gray shoulders. But if there is any point in showing department on the clothing, you probably want to see it from back and sides, not just a little neck.

#111 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Staff
  • 38825 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

I am halfway convinced that Star Fleet's uniform designer is secretly Q, constantly changing up the uniforms on a whim. 

And as crazy as the idea sounds, there is some alpha cannon to support this idea. 

Edited by The Predaking, 19 May 2019 - 10:36 AM.

#112 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:23 PM

My favorite uniforms were the movie 2-6 and the gray shoulders. But if there is any point in showing department on the clothing, you probably want to see it from back and sides, not just a little neck.

On the FC/DS9 uniforms, in addition to the undershirt, they also have a division colored stripe on the cuffs, so it should be easy enough to tell regardless of the angle.

#113 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9425 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

Now idea how long this camrip of the clip will stay on YouTube:

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#114 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3009 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

Man. That really is the Countdown uniform isn't it. Here's to hoping they acknowledge some of the novel canon too...

"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#115 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5088 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

Interesting!  Not my favorite design, but it's hard to tell how they will really look in detail from that clip.

#116 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11116 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

For those interested in the math: 20 years after Nemesis (2379) is 2399. The Hobus supernova (and Spock's disappearance) was in 2387.

The (now-obliviated) alternate future seen in "All Good Things" was 2395. Star Trek Online takes place in 2409.

According to both the novelverse and STO, Picard's son Rene was born in 2381, so he'd be 18. Old enough that Jean-Luc and Beverly wouldn't need to be watching over him, so he need not turn up at all.

The current "present day" in the novels is late 2386 (as of the latest Titan novel), so there's plenty of room (13 years) for TrekLit writers to build a bridge from the Pocketverse to Picard, assuming the new series doesn't do anything too crazy.

Barring changes to Picard's personal history (like saying he retired immediately after the Shinzon incident, or never married Beverly, or something), the only real sticking points would be DS9,
Spoiler

and Data's resurrection.
Spoiler

A lot of the other big changes in the novels are sufficiently ambiguously handled that they could be easily retconned as the Federation having incomplete information (which, in at least one case, was already explicitly established), or just smoothed over in the 13-year gap.

Edited by Cybersnark, 20 May 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#117 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5088 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:48 PM

I suspect no attempt will be made by the show or the current Pocketverse to merge the two continuities.  And F Star Trek Online.  

#118 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12426 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:53 PM

Without spoiling anything, the latest TNG novel seems to be setting up the possibility for a change in the Pocketverse status quo. It makes me wonder if they're writing the next chapter with the new series specifically in mind.

This would please me, but I can't say I'm truly expecting it.

#119 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11116 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:56 AM

I mean, Pocket's license is specifically tied to the film/TV franchise. They have to account for the new series, even if it doesn't have to account for them, which means they'll inevitably need to either course-correct or retcon. For that matter, that's been why they've been dragging their feet getting to Hobus, to see what the official canon has to say about that event.

#120 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Staff
  • 38825 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

New teaser trailer dropped! It is pretty good! Not much content in it other than he was an Admiral when he retired.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users