Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Picard - streaming on CBS All Access in early 2020

301 replies to this topic

#41 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:45 AM

Voyager was already mining that with Seven of Nine wearing a ridiculous high heel jumpsuit and her Borg implants reduced to the eyebrow thing and the bit on her hand.

Point of order; the Borg didn't appear on Voyager until after First Contact came out. I was specifically waiting for them ever since I heard that Voyager would be in the Delta Quadrant, which has been known as Borg space since TNG.

I'm guessing there was some behind-the-scenes embargo, to avoid the old TNG-era designs while also not revealing the new look until the movie could premiere.

#42 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3077 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

I think it is also a product of the times. Season 1 of DIS ends with the 1701. Back then it seemed like they slowly built up to the big deal
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#43 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 8042 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:54 PM

The Borg Queen to me has always felt like one of those awkward times where late 90s Trek was saying "Some fanservice with your technobabble, sir?"

Voyager was already mining that with Seven of Nine wearing a ridiculous high heel jumpsuit and her Borg implants reduced to the eyebrow thing and the bit on her hand.

The Borg Queen is that problem when writers start exploring an unstoppable popular antagonist. The more you peel off the layers and show relatable links, the more what makes them appealing dies. The Borg are horrific for the same reason zombies or the Cybermen- they're basically marching corpses, with just a vestige of humanity left. They are a relentless hive mind who more than have the technology to back up their ambitions and worst of all they can make you one of them in an instant, your own unique identity snuffed out.

i hate the borg. i used to be "oh shit! its the borg!" now im "oh shit. its the borg...". trying to de-borg hugh in tng was a great episode, but thats where it shouldve stopped. but no. they not only added a borg to voyager, but then they added FOUR MORE with those damn kids. fortunately, three of them left fairly quickly, but that still left iqball or ihop or whatever the hell his name was for a while. it wouldve been different had either character had been interesting, but they werent, and we got maybe a half dozen fair episodes involving them (i still think the voyager conspiracy is a good ep. i like how they spin events into different points of view)

i didnt mind the queen so much in first contact, although that shouldve been the end of her. for a movie, you want a face to be the big bad. having it just be some random, interchangeable drone just doesnt seem right

the borg work best with limited screentime and when theyre treated as the monsters that go bump in the night. they should never be your crewmates

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#44 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26775 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

I hope Jeri Ryan costars as Seven of Nine.

...I was just saying that to be contrary but actually Picard having to work with a Borg could be interesting.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#45 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17030 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

That would be awesome. I mean, they both were borg then not borg. She is probably the only person he could relate that to.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#46 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6222 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

She may have been poured into skin tight clothing for ratings, but I actually always liked 7 of 9 and thought Jeri Ryan was a good actress.

I never really liked Kes. My only regret about her leaving the show is that they didn't have her fly out on a shuttle with Neelix and Kim onboard and have it explode.

#47 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:57 PM

they not only added a borg to voyager, but then they added FOUR MORE with those damn kids. fortunately, three of them left fairly quickly, but that still left iqball or ihop or whatever the hell his name was for a while.

Icheb.

And the biggest wasted opportunity with him is that we never got the "Itchy and Q-ball at Starfleet Academy" spinoff they were so perfectly setting up.

#48 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9160 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:04 PM

I, for one, want Data to stay dead.  If he comes back, it means that he's just a collection of lower-case data that can be transferred to any compatible hardware.  It diminishes his status as a unique being and destroys his progression towards becoming more human.  He didn't have a good death, but I'd rather accept it than undo it.

The thing I'm mostly excited about with this series is seeing the Star Trek universe 20 years after Nemesis.  There's a lot that should have happened in that time.  Voyager brought back a bunch of technology that could be developed. 

I'd say there's a 50/50 chance that the show acknowledges the destruction of Romulus.  I don't think CBS should feel obligated to respect the dumb thing that JJ did.  I kind of hope that remains canon, but I don't think I'll be mad if it's ignored.

In my imaginary version of this series, Picard has left Starfleet to pursue his passion of archaeology.  Romulus has been destroyed, and the remains of the Romulan Star Empire have an uneasy peace with the Federation, with some border worlds joining the Federation.  But a new faction within the former Romulan Empire are staging an uprising.  The Federation calls upon the man who helped open the lines of communication with Romulus 20 years ago in order to help restore peace.  Things happen.  Picard probably dies for peace.

#49 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8550 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:42 AM

She may have been poured into skin tight clothing for ratings, but I actually always liked 7 of 9 and thought Jeri Ryan was a good actress.

I wish they'd kept her more Borgified for a while though.  I get that they wanted to ratchet up her sex appeal to 11, but I think they could have started out with her hair first which would have given her a "sexy zombie" look without taking away that pseudo-Gigeresque she started out with.

#50 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10647 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:21 AM

I, for one, want Data to stay dead.  If he comes back, it means that he's just a collection of lower-case data that can be transferred to any compatible hardware.  It diminishes his status as a unique being and destroys his progression towards becoming more human.  He didn't have a good death, but I'd rather accept it than undo it.

"The Schizoid Man" and "Inheritance" (and The Search for Spock, for that matter) have already long established that, as far as the Trek universe goes, even organic consciousness can be transferred, both to other organic brains as well as into compatible artificial neural nets. I wouldn't say it diminishes anything; just indicates that the understanding of how the brain works has progressed to the point where that's possible.

#51 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22350 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:32 AM

Didn't Data get remade from B-4 in the Kelvin movie prequel comics?

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#52 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5257 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:56 AM

Yeah but those aren't canon.

#53 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9160 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:27 AM

"The Schizoid Man" and "Inheritance" (and The Search for Spock, for that matter) have already long established that, as far as the Trek universe goes, even organic consciousness can be transferred, both to other organic brains as well as into compatible artificial neural nets. I wouldn't say it diminishes anything; just indicates that the understanding of how the brain works has progressed to the point where that's possible.

Maybe I’m nitpicking (I am a Star Trek fan, after all), but while copying a mind is possible, I don’t think that the copied mind is literally the original person, even if it thinks it is. That might be a difference that makes no difference, but it would feel really cheap to me to bring back Data in that way.

In Spock’s case, his copied consciousness ended up back where it started. So that makes post-resurrection Spock a second generation copy and/or a whole original. I think the post-resurrection training indicates that the transfer was imperfect. But because the original body and brain are involved, it makes sense to accept him as the original Spock.

I would also reference DS9’s “Life Support,” where Bareil is injured and as he declines, his brain is slowly replaced with a positronic implant. It becomes clear that even though he retains his memories, he loses his humanity (Bajoranity). This indicates that there is a difference between a brain and a copy of a brain.

#54 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17030 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

Which is why Q saving Data avoids that issue. Data is Data.
Say that data's memories and B4'a body were used to usher in an AI revolution. You can make that still mean something other than a cop out to get the D man back.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#55 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10647 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:11 PM

I would also reference DS9’s “Life Support,” where Bareil is injured and as he declines, his brain is slowly replaced with a positronic implant. It becomes clear that even though he retains his memories, he loses his humanity (Bajoranity). This indicates that there is a difference between a brain and a copy of a brain.

That was an interesting one... though I enjoy the episode in general, I feel that aspect of it kind of descended into schlock territory. Prior to that, it was always pretty clear that the Soong-type androids were the only successful applications of positronic technology; what DS9 probably meant to say was "cybernetic", but the writer either got confused or just wanted to throw "positronic" in there was a TNG connection. It's canon, though, so we have to account for it somehow.

I'll say this; Julian Bashir is no Dr. Soong; nor even an Ira Graves-tier intellect (not even close, despite his genetic enhancements). Both those men developed ways of transitioning an active, living consciousness into an artificial neural net. Their work, techniques and technologies are virtually unknown in the wider Federation, given how reclusive both became as they got older; and even the specialists who may still remember their earlier work and know a bit more about them still don't actually have a working understanding of their greatest breakthroughs. Hell even Geordi, who probably spent more time working on Data than anyone except Dr. Soong himself, only has a rudimentary understanding of how his brain works and certainly couldn't create a stable neural net himself (the Holy Grail, as it were, and not even Data could do that).

We also don't know exactly which parts, or even how much of Bareil's brain tissue was replaced with "positronic" (cybernetic) implants. It was actually quite a disturbing episode, IMO, and a bit out of character for Star Trek, even for DS9. Whatever implants he did receive were likely very crude, designed to mimic the basic functions of the tissue they replaced. Since nobody other than Dr. Soong has successfully created a stable artificial neural net (which is what houses the actual consciousness), it's safe to assume that Bareil didn't receive anything like that. None of the organic brain regions responsible for memory or personality were probably replaced; but perhaps sections that allowed those regions to interact and express themselves were compromised.

As far as copies vs an original goes, the transporter in Trek has the same issue; real-life teleportation (were it possible on a macro scale) is said to result in the destruction of the original and the creation of a copy at the destination. But Trek's transporters have been said not to work this way; that the "reconstructed" person or object is the original, the same actual energy being "beamed" to the destination and used to rebuild the matter in the same exact way. Most would say that being disassembled at a molecular or atomic level would effectively "kill" you, no matter how well you're put back together, but who's to say, really? Consider that 500 years ago if you lost an arm or finger it was gone for good... today, if you're lucky and doctors work quickly, you may get it back. It's made clear that Ira Graves believes just as strongly that his method of consciousness transfer is just that; a true transfer rather than a copy. It's safe to assume that Dr. Soong believed the same of the process he used to save his wife (and in the books, himself as well).

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 01 September 2018 - 12:35 PM.

#56 Donocropolis

Donocropolis

Broom broom!

• Citizen
  • 3107 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:40 PM

"The Inner Light" was on a couple of days ago.  I wouldn't mind seeing more reference to this episode in an upcoming Picard story.  He lived for decades as another man, had a wife, children, grandchildren.  There's no way that it wouldn't have a lasting impact on him. 

#57 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25247 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:39 AM

... Dammit, now I need

1)IHOP to still exist in this era
2)Borg as staff
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#58 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9160 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 01:40 PM

That was an interesting one... though I enjoy the episode in general, I feel that aspect of it kind of descended into schlock territory. Prior to that, it was always pretty clear that the Soong-type androids were the only successful applications of positronic technology; what DS9 probably meant to say was "cybernetic", but the writer either got confused or just wanted to throw "positronic" in there was a TNG connection. It's canon, though, so we have to account for it somehow.

I'll say this; Julian Bashir is no Dr. Soong; nor even an Ira Graves-tier intellect (not even close, despite his genetic enhancements). Both those men developed ways of transitioning an active, living consciousness into an artificial neural net. Their work, techniques and technologies are virtually unknown in the wider Federation, given how reclusive both became as they got older; and even the specialists who may still remember their earlier work and know a bit more about them still don't actually have a working understanding of their greatest breakthroughs. Hell even Geordi, who probably spent more time working on Data than anyone except Dr. Soong himself, only has a rudimentary understanding of how his brain works and certainly couldn't create a stable neural net himself (the Holy Grail, as it were, and not even Data could do that).

We also don't know exactly which parts, or even how much of Bareil's brain tissue was replaced with "positronic" (cybernetic) implants. It was actually quite a disturbing episode, IMO, and a bit out of character for Star Trek, even for DS9. Whatever implants he did receive were likely very crude, designed to mimic the basic functions of the tissue they replaced. Since nobody other than Dr. Soong has successfully created a stable artificial neural net (which is what houses the actual consciousness), it's safe to assume that Bareil didn't receive anything like that. None of the organic brain regions responsible for memory or personality were probably replaced; but perhaps sections that allowed those regions to interact and express themselves were compromised.

As far as copies vs an original goes, the transporter in Trek has the same issue; real-life teleportation (were it possible on a macro scale) is said to result in the destruction of the original and the creation of a copy at the destination. But Trek's transporters have been said not to work this way; that the "reconstructed" person or object is the original, the same actual energy being "beamed" to the destination and used to rebuild the matter in the same exact way. Most would say that being disassembled at a molecular or atomic level would effectively "kill" you, no matter how well you're put back together, but who's to say, really? Consider that 500 years ago if you lost an arm or finger it was gone for good... today, if you're lucky and doctors work quickly, you may get it back. It's made clear that Ira Graves believes just as strongly that his method of consciousness transfer is just that; a true transfer rather than a copy. It's safe to assume that Dr. Soong believed the same of the process he used to save his wife (and in the books, himself as well).

It's a philosophical question, really.  What is a person?  Is a person simply the some of their experiences?  Or is a person a unique and inseparable combination of mind and body?  I favor the latter.

#59 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10647 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 02:25 PM

I prefer the former and I view a physical body as just another type of machine, currently inseparable, but only because we lack an understanding of how a lot of it works. I suspect they won't remain inseparable forever, although I don't expect that breakthrough in any of our lifetimes. But hey, that's what cryogenics is for :p.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 02 September 2018 - 03:07 PM.

#60 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9160 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:43 PM

Voyager’s Doctor is noteworthy. He is explicitly software-only and hardware-agnostic. He can exist in Voyager’s computer or in a 29th century mobile emitter. He can be backed up and run on alien hardware.

I don’t know what that means, really. Life can take many forms.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users