Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Picard - streaming on CBS All Access in early 2020

301 replies to this topic

#21 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38968 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:09 PM

To me it had the best combat in both space and hand to hand of any of films(up to that point because Spock vs Khan was epic). The borg were a ton more dangerous than they ever were in the series. And personally, I like the Borg Queen as a living avatar of the collective. Cochran steals every scene that he is in, so most of the planet side scenes are great to me.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#22 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, First Contact was the Borg Queen done right.

Voyager picked up the concept and proceeded to ignore what the movie explicitly established (the Queen isn't the "ruler" of the Collective, she's a handpuppet being worn by an eldritch abomination).

#23 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9734 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:19 PM

Man, over 20 years on and the arguments on First Contact introducing the Queen to the Borg are never going to end, are they?

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 15 August 2018 - 09:19 PM.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#24 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27938 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:25 PM

Why should they?  They took what is supposed to be a faceless, emotionless entity and gave us the fact that it still can't get over Picard.

Ironbite-despite every evidence that they really should.

xC9l3eY.gif

#25 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38968 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:11 AM

Man, over 20 years on and the arguments on First Contact introducing the Queen to the Borg are never going to end, are they?

Not if I have anything to say about it!

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#26 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34232 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, First Contact was the Borg Queen done right.

Voyager picked up the concept and proceeded to ignore what the movie explicitly established (the Queen isn't the "ruler" of the Collective, she's a handpuppet being worn by an eldritch abomination).

While I like that explanation, I have seen the movie many times and that has never occurred to me.  I don't think it fits, though.  Why did all the Borg die when the handpuppet died?

#27 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27938 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

She's the collective's man focus node.  When they went back to the past to undo the future that is Aku, the Borg got cut off from the rest of the Collective save for this tiny piece.

Ironbite-the piece that had a boner for Loctus.

xC9l3eY.gif

#28 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1927 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:20 PM

Here is an idea...I know it gets into bad fanfiction...but here goes.

Q could have saved Data before he went boom.  He set him up in a remote planet to explore his humanity.  Data looses his mind in isolation and realizes that a being that had the mind of a human and the body of a machine was the superior life form.  He knew the Borg failed because they had the mind of a machine, and human parts.  He experiments with this concept and realizes he can create the bodies and "free" minds to go into them.  He begins a quest to "help" humanity by helping it to the next stage of evolution.  He travels around capturing humans and downloading them.  Some take well and some do not.  Many little "cyber" kingdoms pop up as people use their newfound strength to subjugate others.

A federation starship stumbles on a kingdom and find the origin.

Starfleet knows that only one man can reason with Data...Picard.  So the pull him from retirement.

This ship transports him and they chase down Data.

In following him, they run across many kingdoms and problems.  Each episode could be a different problem to solve as each "antagonist" is just a person with a different part of their personality amplified.  There would be many opportunities for morality plays and pondering.  It would also give the opportunity to wrap up each episode an allow stand alone adventures.  Each of the new crew could shine and bring their own brand of problem solving to this.

The ultimate moral question is "Is it right to change someone for the better, against their will?"  In the final episode, Q, Picard and Data can debate this in true Next Gen fashion.

I could watch that.

"Expect me when I arrive" - G'kar
Ryougabot

#29 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17030 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:41 PM

If I had my way, Data would have been made a real boy by Q and has spent the last thirty years living on some distant federation colony. He could even have a family. Through a series of events he rejoins starfleet and adventures ensue.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#30 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11853 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

She's the collective's man focus node.  When they went back to the past to undo the future that is Aku, the Borg got cut off from the rest of the Collective save for this tiny piece.

Ironbite-the piece that had a boner for Loctus.

Well it WAS the MAN focus mode... (assuming it was a typo for 'main' instead of an intentional joke)
From the Page of Cage!

#31 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2135 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

I really want this series to bring Data back. He was my favorite character and his death was a tragedy. That being said, the description upthread of how the novels brought him back really feels...overly complex and fanwanky, and just...not good, at least on paper. I'd rather they just go with what happened in IDW's Countdown comic where

Spoiler
. I'd also like to note that everyone (including the actor) forgot that he said on TNG that part of his design caused him to appear to naturally age.

That being also said, though, I don't need him to come back to the show necessarily, I'd be fine with Picard being like, "yeah, he's fine, he recovered, he's out there doing his thing somewhere."

#32 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5257 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

As much as I want Data back, having Q intervene in a non-Q story would fundamentally break Star Trek.  How can there ever be any tension or consequences if there is a literal god standing by to rescue our heroes?  

#33 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

I really want this series to bring Data back. He was my favorite character and his death was a tragedy. That being said, the description upthread of how the novels brought him back really feels...overly complex and fanwanky, and just...not good, at least on paper. I'd rather they just go with what happened in IDW's Countdown comic where

Spoiler
. I'd also like to note that everyone (including the actor) forgot that he said on TNG that part of his design caused him to appear to naturally age.

That being also said, though, I don't need him to come back to the show necessarily, I'd be fine with Picard being like, "yeah, he's fine, he recovered, he's out there doing his thing somewhere."

I agree with the fanwankery, but this entire series is meant to appeal to nostalgia of the 90's.  It would be a cheap way for them to maximize their profits...and make a show

As much as I want Data back, having Q intervene in a non-Q story would fundamentally break Star Trek.  How can there ever be any tension or consequences if there is a literal god standing by to rescue our heroes?  

I don't think he is rescuing Data, he is using him to create a crisis and further test Picard.

Granted, this is not the best idea, but probably similar to something CBS would try.

"Expect me when I arrive" - G'kar
Ryougabot

#34 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17030 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:24 PM

A one off to fix a stupid decision would be fine by me. I normally agree. And it's nor like Q mucking around is out of character where Jean Luc is concerned. He is his favorite human.

#35 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:39 PM

The trouble with Data "reasserting" himself through B4 is that it means Data killed his mentally-disabled brother and stole his body.

(And that's ignoring the practical considerations of getting the positronic equivalent of a supercomputer's OS to run on an 80s-era Commodore.)

#36 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10647 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:57 PM

Yes, B4's body really isn't designed to house Data's consciousness... and certainly doesn't contain the hardware necessary for it to actually express itself properly. The Cold Equations novel addressed all this, too... even had it been possible, Dr. Soong stated unequivocally that he was unwilling to sacrifice B4 to save Data or vice versa, considering both of them his children and deserving of existence. During the process that restored Data, B4 also received numerous software enhancements that would allow him to function at a more competent level going forwards.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 22 August 2018 - 02:59 PM.

#37 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9734 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

You know what fanwank I would literally pay to see in this series? For the show to spend its budget bringing back a Voyager cast member just to have the character canonically declare, "Oh yeah once during the Delta Quadrant journey Tom accidentally took some really powerful drugs. Had a ridiculous dream about exceeding warp 10 and mutating with the Captain to become lizard things."

Worst. Episode. Ever.

Decanonize now!

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#38 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17030 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

Isn't is possible by this point starfleet would be full AI's, too? I mean, speaking of Voyager, studying the emergency medical hologram should really make that a possibility.

Edited by NICK TYRANNO, 26 August 2018 - 09:23 PM.

• 000 likes this

#39 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28543 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:05 AM

The Borg Queen to me has always felt like one of those awkward times where late 90s Trek was saying "Some fanservice with your technobabble, sir?"

Voyager was already mining that with Seven of Nine wearing a ridiculous high heel jumpsuit and her Borg implants reduced to the eyebrow thing and the bit on her hand.

The Borg Queen is that problem when writers start exploring an unstoppable popular antagonist. The more you peel off the layers and show relatable links, the more what makes them appealing dies. The Borg are horrific for the same reason zombies or the Cybermen- they're basically marching corpses, with just a vestige of humanity left. They are a relentless hive mind who more than have the technology to back up their ambitions and worst of all they can make you one of them in an instant, your own unique identity snuffed out.

#40 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:48 AM

Worst. Episode. Ever.

Not even the worst episode of that season.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users