Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 October 2019 - 06:40 AM)

What's it like to have management that's willing to listen to things they don't want to hear? I've never seen that.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:41 AM)

I manage to argue within the company's own internal logic and point out the flaws, shortcomings and discrepancies between "official company policy" and "everyday company reality".

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:40 AM)

Many of my coworkers are scared to even talk to managers. I often discuss company matters with them I disagree with, and it isn't a rare occurrence that they say "yeah, you're right..."

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:38 AM)

I know how to watch my tone, and I prefer to keep things straightforward and factual, never to attack the person, always the problem itself.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:37 AM)

The good thing for me is ever since a minor hiccup many years ago when I was still non-permanent, I've always managed to along just fine with my various superiors (I've been through over a dozen already). And that's despite my outspokenness, my blunt honesty and my oftentimes harsh criticism.

@  Sabrblade : (18 October 2019 - 11:04 PM)

With visuals presented by the Cybernet Space Cube

@  Dekafox : (18 October 2019 - 04:51 PM)

And don't forget to sign up for a cybersecurity seminar while you're there

@  Dekafox : (18 October 2019 - 04:47 PM)

Well you can always strap on some cyberlimbs and go into cyberspace for a cyberpunk experience

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 October 2019 - 04:28 PM)

You know that "cyber" doesn't mean "cyborg", right?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 October 2019 - 04:16 PM)

So where's the Cyborgs on CYBERtron?

@  The Doctor Who : (18 October 2019 - 03:47 PM)

Click here and we can send you notifications about your desire to discontinue notifications!

@  Benbot : (18 October 2019 - 10:40 AM)

Why does every damn website want to send me notifications? NO, no one wants your popups! Quit asking!

@  Echowarrior : (18 October 2019 - 09:19 AM)

Amazon in the US has pretty good benefits, though, and even the temp workers had forty hours a week to start with. Even with minimum wage, that's pretty good pay.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2019 - 01:20 AM)

Oh, the turnover rates are high here as well.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Amazon.com and .ca, on the other hand, can be pretty terrible. I know from your squawkbox posts that you guys have your issues with Amazon over there, although you're lucky to have stronger government regulations and a union there. I gather the warehouse workers in the USA and Canada have it pretty crappy, with very high turnover, close to minimum wage pay, and no unions

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 09:38 PM)

Amazon.de doesn't really have the same issue. I've ordered from them (and UK, FR, IT and JP) several times, and their packaging is much better

@  Nevermore : (17 October 2019 - 05:22 PM)

I'm not sure how it works on the customer's end. As packers, we sometimes have items that are flagged as "overwrap", which means we absolutely have to put them into a box even if they're already in pretty sturdy manufacturer packaging.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 03:05 PM)

Yeah, I really do wish amazon had an option to upgrade packaging for an extra buck or something. I hate their bubble mailers

@  Benbot : (17 October 2019 - 07:17 AM)

That's how it works. I just hope my order from Amazon doesn't arrive crushed because they idiotically stuffed it in an envelope.

@  Telly : (16 October 2019 - 10:48 PM)

my walmart is acting true to form. as soon as mirage arrives from amazon, my walmart gets his entire wave in after months of having wave 1 clogging the pegs....

@  Nevermore : (16 October 2019 - 05:18 PM)

I stirred up some trouble at work, complained about the blatant neglect of employee safety. Was asked to take photos and write down the locations so the matter could be properly escalated. Made me feel a little better.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2019 - 02:55 PM)

I got stabbed in the eyelid by a mudwasp, pulled down a tree, and then got ice cream. You know, all told: not a bad day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Burrunjor

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

@  TriBlurr : (13 October 2019 - 12:16 AM)

Honor-Roll

@  Arazyr : (11 October 2019 - 08:18 AM)

I like that one.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Oh, how about Dropout?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Hey Everyone I'm beginning to put together The TF Roll Out Short Hot Rod's Presentation!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 02:35 PM)

Truant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM)

Haslab Unicron may change the direction of Cyberverse or the netflix series.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Picard - streaming on CBS All Access in early 2020

353 replies to this topic

#1 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9816 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:36 PM

In anticipation of this project reaching fruition, I am splitting off Picard series discussion into its own thread.

Announcement at STLV 2018:

Non-region-locked version:

News in a text article from Variety:

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 11 August 2018 - 06:19 PM.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#2 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23055 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:34 PM

We still have no idea what the actual series concept is, right? It could be Picard in space commanding a starship with one or two other returning cast members and a new crew, Picard retired in France tending to his family's vineyard, or Admiral Picard as an occasional guest star as a professor in the rumored Starfleet Academy show?

#3 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3519 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

We still have no idea what the actual series concept is, right? It could be Picard in space commanding a starship with one or two other returning cast members and a new crew, Picard retired in France tending to his family's vineyard, or Admiral Picard as an occasional guest star as a professor in the rumored Starfleet Academy show?

That unless he took Kirk's words to heart, don't let them promote or do anything that takes him off the bridge of the ship

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#4 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

• Retired Staff
  • 23055 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:17 PM

While I have no objections to that line in particular, I'd be perfectly fine with the new show pretending the Next Generation movies never happened.

#5 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9816 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

Correct. No story details whatsoever save for Patrick Stewart returning as Jean-Luc Picard in a timeframe after Star Trek Nemesis.

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 11 August 2018 - 06:20 PM.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

#6 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1395 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:26 AM

While I have no objections to that line in particular, I'd be perfectly fine with the new show pretending the Next Generation movies never happened.

Be fair.

Let's just pretend NEMESIS didn't happen. the rest were enjoyable.

It's a Newcomic (apparently)

#7 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17054 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

Just say Q saved Data as a favor for Picard and all is right again.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#8 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5350 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

Is this going to be an actual series?  With Stewart's status, I was assuming this would be just one or two episodes of an anthology, or perhaps a short miniseries lasting ~6 episodes or so.  What do you think it's going to be?  

#9 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5350 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

I would be totally fine with that.  Or if they wanted to go the book route, that's acceptable.  But I want to see someone other than Spiner playing the character, unless they can CG-unage him and he's totally on board.  I definitely want him on board in some fashion, but given what he has always said about aging while playing an ageless character, and going so far as co-writing Data's death, it seems stupid to just come back without some accommodation.  

#10 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10666 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

I would be totally fine with that.  Or if they wanted to go the book route, that's acceptable.  But I want to see someone other than Spiner playing the character, unless they can CG-unage him and he's totally on board.  I definitely want him on board in some fashion, but given what he has always said about aging while playing an ageless character, and going so far as co-writing Data's death, it seems stupid to just come back without some accommodation.  

If Spiner were interested in coming back, the book route provides a sufficient reason for Data no longer appearing ageless, and gives the character a lot more room for development.

#11 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17054 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:05 PM

I would have Q give Data his humanity. He was saved and got to live as a person until whenever Picard sees him again.

What do the books say about him? I never dabbled in those.

#12 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10666 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:31 PM

I would have Q give Data his humanity. He was saved and got to live as a person until whenever Picard sees him again.

What do the books say about him? I never dabbled in those.

Spoiler

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 12 August 2018 - 05:43 PM.

#13 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9816 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:45 PM

Ah, the 2012 TNG Cold Equations novel trilogy by David Mack.

Mack does excellent work.

I also like how in 2017's Section 31 - Control,

Spoiler

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

#14 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17054 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:46 PM

That's so intense. Very involved and detailed. Thanks for saving me the google.

I don't know how I feel about it, but it's only as crazy as someone putting their brain inside one of their friends only to have their vessel rejuvenated by a freak device on a fake planet.

#15 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11298 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:51 PM

Short version:
Spoiler

Honestly, I'd be fine with just leaving Data offscreen and not mentioning him. This is supposed to be "a new chapter," so it's unlikely Picard will be aboard the Enterprise. That suggests he'll be surrounded by new characters. Best to keep the TNG cast away from this non-TNG show. The most I'd want to see is Worf making a brief one-episode cameo to reveal that he's now the Enterprise's Captain.

The real sticking point for me is Beverly and René, who should be with him (I know "All Good Things" posited an end to their marriage, but A) that's non-canon now, and B) now that Han/Leia has been destroyed, I need at least one of my childhood heroes to have a successful marriage).

#16 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10666 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

It's a fantastic read, if you get the opportunity or find it in your local library. That, as well as the Destiny trilogy, were some of the first Star Trek stories to get me truly excited about Trek again in a long while. They reference the past without feeling too fanwanky, and contain some really solid and interesting story ideas for the future.

It's why I hope the upcoming Picard series takes at least some cues from the recent books, as it's pretty obvious while reading them that so much care and love for Trek went into the writing.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 12 August 2018 - 06:02 PM.

#17 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28055 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

On the one hand, we're going back to an era of Trek where things were fun and original.  On the other hand, we're basically retreading old ground.  I love Sir Patrick I really do.  I just don't think going back to Picard is the right move for the franchise.

Ironbite-stepping past Voyager would but we keep wallowing in the past for some reason.

xC9l3eY.gif

#18 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

• Retired Staff
  • 23055 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:38 PM

Be fair.

Let's just pretend NEMESIS didn't happen. the rest were enjoyable.

Nah, I pretty much hated all of them. Well, "Generations" was okay. By which I mean, it wasn't a great movie and didn't really make sense, but at least it wasn't super boring ("Insurrection"), a complete betrayal of characters and plotlines from the series ("First Contact"), or all of the above ("Nemesis").

At least, that's how I remember them. It's been a while since I've seen any of them, but I sure hated them when they came out. So I'm hoping this new series gives me better post-TNG Picard stories than they did.

#19 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39021 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

I still say that First Contact is the best Star Trek movie of all of them, including the TOS films and the Kelvinverse series.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#20 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5350 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

I like First Contact, but it is an extremely flawed film and its existence robbed us of a proper Borg movie, so it doesn't even break the top three for me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users