Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 April 2020 - 04:50 AM)

Actually on the subject, I've hard a lot of people refer to a 2011 film called Contagion that they think is relevant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 April 2020 - 01:11 AM)

Ah well, I'll stick to the classic British sitcoms: One Foot in the Grave, Til Death Do Us Part and They Think It's All Over.

@  TM2-Megatron : (05 April 2020 - 12:53 AM)

There's always the original, cheesy as it is

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 April 2020 - 12:10 AM)

Dunno... Tonight one of the major networks showed a movie with plagues.. including that listening to their leader causes the first born to die. ;P So nah.. I think the Stand could work. :D

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 April 2020 - 09:18 PM)

That's probably the last thing anyone needs to see, at the moment. Maybe when we get to the end of June/beginning of July and we can venture back out, it might be possible to find some enjoyment in The Stand.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 April 2020 - 02:08 PM)

I suppose the CBS adaptation of Stephen Kings The Stand will be delayed.

@  Rycochet : (04 April 2020 - 11:26 AM)

We'll always be together. Together in electric dreams.

@  Rycochet : (04 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Please remember that in these times of social distancing, we'll always be together however far it seems.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 12:41 PM)

It arrived! Yay!

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Given how the virus lasts about 3-4 days on metals and plastics, it's about the only way to go about getting stuff right now. I ordered a monitor mount for my desk and the delivery has been pushed back twice already.

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 April 2020 - 11:04 AM)

He ordered it online, says it was to keep those delivery boys in business. I did the same a week ago with some Transformers Studio Series figures off Kapow. Don't know if it's wise or not considering.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 09:12 AM)

You'd be the first. Everyone else has either been frustrated cause the one they wanted was sold out (like during boxing week.) or rushing to replace something broken.

@  RYNO : (03 April 2020 - 08:53 AM)

I actually walked into a store the other day and just randomly decided to buy at 32inch TV. It was just a Vizio, and grabbed a Mounting Bracket for it. No duress. Just a spur of the moment wanted a TV for my master bedroom.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 07:31 AM)

Conversely: I've never met a person who wasn't buying a TV under duress... so... yeah.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 07:20 AM)

I think I've met maybe two people other than myself who count cables before buying a TV.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (03 April 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Seriously.. HDMI splitters and switches are so bloody finicky, but most tvs don't have enough inputs.

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 April 2020 - 05:09 AM)

Just spent a hour trying to get my brothers new Samsung TV to read his Playstation and Blu Ray player only to find he was using a HDMI splitter.

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 April 2020 - 11:07 AM)

I could never master oral bullshittery. But in my day I was quite adept with the written word.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 April 2020 - 11:32 PM)

You have mastered the art of Bulljive. You must use this power only for good, or entertainment.

@  Sabrblade : (01 April 2020 - 08:58 PM)

This morning, for one of my online classes, I had to give a positive oral presentation about a play that I hated having to watch. I went into it completely unprepared and just winged it. My professor LOVED my presentation and thought it was excellent. She believed every word I said and honestly thought that I enjoyed that miserable play. Best April Fools ever!

@  ▲ndrusi : (01 April 2020 - 10:06 AM)

Happy Everyone Thinks They're A Comedian Now Day!

@  Donocropolis : (31 March 2020 - 05:45 AM)

Who, I might add, has never been photographed together with Byteman. Just sayin'.

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 10:27 PM)

Bruce Wayne's cyberpunk cousin?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 09:27 PM)

Laser Wayne

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 09:08 PM)

Luther Unum

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 07:09 PM)

Or Lee Derwon.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:51 PM)

Not to be confused with Leader I

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was Leader Uno

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was the OTHER Leader 1

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 March 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Or Sideways.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 05:26 PM)

On the other hand, this is Armada we're talking about. It could have actually been Metroplex.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 March 2020 - 11:08 PM)

Oh yeah, that was Fort Max. My bad.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:12 PM)

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Peritus_Maximus

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Christmas Maximus?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM)

At least the ozone layer is healing. unless this is a 0.0000000001% thing it's sounds like good news.

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:27 AM)

(But only pretty sure, not 100% sure.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Pretty sure y'all were thinking of Fortress Maximus yesterday.

@  Bass X0 : (28 March 2020 - 12:38 AM)

Dare! Dare to believe you can survive 2020!

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 March 2020 - 08:18 PM)

Baja Blast is back at retail!

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 03:47 PM)

Shame he wasn't around more. He seemed like such a jolly, happy soul.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 02:16 PM)

No, he was definitely Metroplex. You could tell because he was in Metroplex's distinctive red and green coloration.

@  Paladin : (27 March 2020 - 02:11 PM)

that was Leader-1. or possibly Jolt. maybe Grindor...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 01:57 PM)

Metroplex was in Armada, in a flashback. He was the same size as everybody else. I thought that was the joke.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (27 March 2020 - 12:39 PM)

@Rodimus Supreme: Gah! You are right! How'd I get that mixed up? x.x;

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 12:14 PM)

There is no Metroplex. Only Zuul.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:13 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: There is no Armada Metroplex, he was in Cybertron.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:12 AM)

And they'd be better off just retooling Metroplex and Fortress Maximus to be somewhat more accurate and changing/adding parts for interaction with later play gimmicks.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:11 AM)

I honestly would prefer that for scale purposes.

@  Cyoti : (27 March 2020 - 11:07 AM)

They can redo all the CW combiners as Titan Class figures like Predaking/Devastator.

@  Dekafox : (27 March 2020 - 07:52 AM)

They could just redo Metroplex again too. Especially if it's going to be S3 based. They could also do another Primus to go with the coming Unicron.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Picard - Season 1 Spoilers Inside!

1032 replies to this topic

#921 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34704 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:53 PM

Having 500 exactly the same Starfleet ships was lame.  I think it was simply lazy.

#922 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

We the North

• Supporter
  • 62785 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:55 PM

yeah, this wasn't a great show...

red, green, and blue options at the end there LOL

Somebody get Q on the phone for season 2 and get this shit fixed 

#923 Telly

Telly

Needs things explained to him sometimes...

• Retired Staff
  • 8493 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:07 AM

i dont have all access so i havent seen any of this, but

Spoiler

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#924 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8528 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:27 AM

Woof. Well that was certainly an ending. But one that has been well received as far as I can tell? I personally don't get it. But at this stage I've kinda gotten used to series I used to love going off in bizarre seemingly terrible directions and getting praise for it so I'm just gonna have to tuck this one away into the "series i try to ignore existed" list along with other things like season 6 of scrubs. not that scrubs 6 was well received but you get my drift.

#925 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 17385 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:03 AM

The praise probably comes from the fact that people have and always will love the next generation cast, and despite the bizarre and convoluted road it took to get there...

Spoiler

Http://www.scatterville.com

#926 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Meow and some such

• Supporter
  • 4703 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:18 AM

In regards to Data:

Spoiler

WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!
Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787
Pokémon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345
Actual friends: um....

#927 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34704 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:22 AM

(considering, in this world, using a transporter may or may not kill you and produce a copy of you, I'm less worried about this question)

I was going to mention that.  Gene Roddenberry put teleportation into Star Trek at the outset to save money on Shuttlecraft and save story time and we're so used to it.  Jean-Luc Picard has been disintegrated thousands of times, always replaced by a copy that has his memories and attitudes and values.

Why they don't make extra copies of important people or just immediately replace someone who dies on an away mission I do not know.  Why after discovering Jean-Luc's brain abnormality they cannot just fix it the next time he is being built molecule by molecule I do not know.

#928 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8528 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:29 AM

"Why they don't make extra copies of important people or just immediately replace someone who dies on an away mission I do not know."

Because despite having all these technologies that could do exactly that (replicators, transporters) the series acts like making a copy intentionally is some impossible thing that only has happened by pure luck and is completely impossible to understand. Which makes zero sense when all this stuff goes through computers but that's the excuse. That and the pure amount of data needed to copy I suppose. DS9 had an episode whre several people got their memories stuck in the station memory and their transporter patterns stuck in the holodeck and it basically crippled the station holding all that information at once. And that's an entire space station, maybe a starship simply couldn't contain it for that long? Then again Scotty kept his entire self trapped in the pattern of a transport vessel for 75 years so hey who knows.

#929 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34704 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:33 AM

When the story needs it, the story gets it.  But if I were the king the next series would introduce that they figured out how to do it.  The first case might be an ethical dilemma and would be unnecessary given the second, but on the very first episode of a new show that I was running someone would get killed on an away mission and when they others beamed back up they would immediately run into the guy that died back aboard ship.  He wouldn't remember anything after beaming down, but would know that he got killed.  A crewmate would comment that they didn't use to have the capability to do this.

--==--

That fleet of several hundred identical fastest and toughest ships...Does Starfleet have a fleet of warships now that are not exploring anything but just waiting to go take care of a conflict?

Edited by Axaday, 27 March 2020 - 10:35 AM.

#930 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 17385 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:16 AM

Honestly, after all the chaos they have experienced over the past 20 years and what amounts to the federation's most violent terrorist attack ever happening on mars...maybe?
Http://www.scatterville.com

#931 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23129 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:58 AM

I'm starting to think this isn't a very good show.

Yeah, it just wasn't a very good show.

It felt like a plot-driven show where the characters often behaved only how they had to in order to further the plot... but the plot was weird and the developments were often, for lack of a better word, silly. And the pacing was totally off for a serial that should feel like "a movie in 10 parts." The first half of the season was all "Picard, you son of a bitch, I'm in!" and FINALLY getting to space, and then we crammed an entire apocalpyse story into two final episodes.

There were moments I liked, there were characters I sometimes liked (when they were consistent), and I liked pretty much everything about Episode 6 "The Impossible Box." But overall... meh. Two stars out of four.

More specific thoughts:

• Poor Hugh. One of the best episodes of TNG, with one of the most intriguing characters who deserved a good follow-up. His impact is ignored in "First Contact," and here he's brought back, given almost no character development other than "I'm a happy xB whose name you know!", and immediately killed so that... I dunno, 7 of 9 could be mad? Like she already was? What a shame.
  • Dr. Jurati seems like a case of the writers creating a character, giving her an arc, and then falling in love with the actress and deciding to ignore it. I get it, Alison Pill is very difficult not to like, and her character and Elron often provided welcome light and humor to the show. But she killed Maddox, felt bad, and everyone sort of decided she had been fully brainwashed and didn't know what she was doing? Without really saying it? They just started acting like it had never happened. So bizarre.
  • Putting Picard into an identical 94-year-old robot body is one of the developments I can't help but refer to as "silly." It happened because it had to, because 1. The writers set themselves up for a limited series where the lead dies at the end, and 2. Picard is played by a real human actor. In "real life," surely they would have dialed him back a few years? "It's your body, Jean-Luc, but we just aged you back to 'Insurrection' when you were riding around on those dune buggies. Remember how you liked those dune-buggies, Jean-Luc?" But no, obviously Patrick Stewart is the guy playing the role, and he can't de-age 20 years, so here we are. It's a very silly solution to a problem they never should have created.

#932 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34704 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:33 PM

Even on the final episode, we saw work being done to fix that Borg cube.  It is being repaired.  Now I don't know how long it was between that main day there and the actual end of the season when they warped away, but it seems very strange that this got dropped.  Seven is leaving with the main characters.  Whose Borg Cube is that now and what will they do with it?

#933 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9381 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:34 PM

Having 500 exactly the same Starfleet ships was lame.  I think it was simply lazy.

I'm more inclined to attribute it to budget restrictions or deadlines than laziness.  As mentioned above, it could be intentional that Starfleet has this big fleet of ships hanging around now just in case.

i dont have all access so i havent seen any of this, but

Spoiler

Spoiler

In regards to Data:

Spoiler

Time's Arrow comes to mind.

#934 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1323 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:45 PM

• Putting Picard into an identical 94-year-old robot body is one of the developments I can't help but refer to as "silly." It happened because it had to, because 1. The writers set themselves up for a limited series where the lead dies at the end, and 2. Picard is played by a real human actor. In "real life," surely they would have dialed him back a few years? "It's your body, Jean-Luc, but we just aged you back to 'Insurrection' when you were riding around on those dune buggies. Remember how you liked those dune-buggies, Jean-Luc?" But no, obviously Patrick Stewart is the guy playing the role, and he can't de-age 20 years, so here we are. It's a very silly solution to a problem they never should have created.

That's the Armin Tamzarian of it.  So we find out Principal Skinner isn't actually Principal Skinner, he's Armin Tamzarian.  But at the end of the episode the real Skinner is out of the picture and status is quo so the whole thing is moot.  Picard is dead but he's back in an identical meat robo body that has no advantages to it so the death means about as much as the Tamzarian reveal

LOOKDOWN.png

#935 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23129 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:55 PM

Yup, I immediately understood your analogy after seeing the finale. In a way, it's a very TNG-style return to status quo solution at the end of an episode... but like, one of the sillier TNG episodes. Like, "well, what if I shoot my gramma's dead Scottish ghost boyfriend's candle with a phaser?" kind of solutions.

#936 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34704 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

The whole thing with Picard was very Armin Tamzarian

Now I understand this straight to the end.

-=-=-

It would have been really weird, after the conversation with Data, for Picard to set off on his new immortal life.

But at the same time it seems really weird to save him from Irumodic syndrome while also programming him to die in 10-20 years no matter what happens.  I don't know how you program a machine that could last hundreds of years to stop working.  Apple maybe knows.  Does he just shut down one day or is his body all set to start having organs weaken and fail.  I understand the whole "If you live forever you find out life is meaningless" thing, but something seems really cruel about making him a 10-20 year body designed to fail for no reason other than that living forever isn't as great as it sounds.

A non-terminal robot body isn't living forever.  Data lived like 50 years.  Lore lived about 40.  B-4 lived a few days.  Dahj lived about 3 years?  Humans have an outside limit of something like 120 years, but almost all of us die before that because of poor maintenance, random malfunctions, or hazardous events.  If Data hadn't been nothing but a thought in a box, I think he would have liked to go on living a while longer and see what else happened.

Did Dr Jurati teach AI everything he needed to know to do himself?

Edited by Axaday, 27 March 2020 - 01:12 PM.

#937 Telly

Telly

Needs things explained to him sometimes...

• Retired Staff
  • 8493 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:32 PM

When the story needs it, the story gets it.  But if I were the king the next series would introduce that they figured out how to do it.  The first case might be an ethical dilemma and would be unnecessary given the second, but on the very first episode of a new show that I was running someone would get killed on an away mission and when they others beamed back up they would immediately run into the guy that died back aboard ship.  He wouldn't remember anything after beaming down, but would know that he got killed.  A crewmate would comment that they didn't use to have the capability to do this.

thatd kill all the drama/suspense of a show. we wouldnt worry about people dying so there would be no tension when they get into a tight spot. that makes for boring television in shows like this

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#938 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34704 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:22 PM

thatd kill all the drama/suspense of a show. we wouldnt worry about people dying so there would be no tension when they get into a tight spot. that makes for boring television in shows like this

Put yourself in the shoes of the people operating a starship?  They don't want to be in tight spots.

You'd still have to worry about the ship blowing up or your actions causing a war.  You just wouldn't have to worry about plants that shoot poisonous darts.  Or old friends who are salt-sucking monsters.  And I don't think those are hazards people should have to worry about.

#939 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10739 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:24 PM

yeah, this wasn't a great show...

I'm starting to think this isn't a very good show.

Yeah, it just wasn't a very good show.

alex-kurtzman-3.jpg

#940 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9381 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:40 PM

Synths are always created in pairs.  Does that mean we have a spare Picard somewhere now?

He can hang out with Tom Riker.

Edited by Mouse_Pad, 27 March 2020 - 02:41 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users