Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

Photo
- - - - -

Fourth Kelvin Star Trek film by S.J. Clarkson - Pine and Hemsworth no longer on board?

136 replies to this topic

#121 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45476 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

I still can't believe Beyond wasn't a bigger hit. I loved that movie.

As much as I loved Into Darkness, it's the movie that was wrapped in a shitty, Wrath of Khan wrapper. Going back to that well after the TNG era did nothing BUT try to copy its formula lost the interest of a lot of movie goers and those Trek fans (like myself) who grew disenfranchised in that era. It was a sense of "Oh, they're doing this formula again?"

Beyond was what the second film of the franchise ought to have been, even though Into Darkness was needed to get Kirk from the 09 film to the Kirk we saw in Beyond.

It was just too little, too late. And even then with Pine's career exploding after Beyond, it was always iffy as to whether or not he'd go back to a franchise like Trek, that notoriously tends to stagnate the careers of the actors who partake in it. Bakula had to wait nine years before he was a lead actor in a series again.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#122 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25105 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

I remember watching "Beyond" and thinking it was better than "Into Darkness," but otherwise I can't remember a thing that happened in it.

Kirk rode a dirtbike and then they blew up a bunch of spiky spaceships by rolling down the windows and blasting Beastie Boys
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#123 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11076 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

There was also an Enterprise reference, and an ugly space station that didn't make a lick of practical sense.

#124 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 2803 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:57 PM

I didn't watch Beyond until late last year, just because that awful trailer plus Into Darkness left such a sour taste in my mouth.  I didn't expect to love it as much as I did, it's that movie alone that makes me want another 3 movies with this cast.

Not a perfect movie by any means though, particularly due to a severe misuse of Idris Elba.

#125 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12379 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

It was just too little, too late. And even then with Pine's career exploding after Beyond, it was always iffy as to whether or not he'd go back to a franchise like Trek, that notoriously tends to stagnate the careers of the actors who partake in it. Bakula had to wait nine years before he was a lead actor in a series again.

Most actors would kill to have ONE multi-year-running series they could claim to have starred in. By the end of Enterprise, Bakula already had two. I'm not weeping for him. 

#126 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45476 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

an ugly space station that didn't make a lick of practical sense.

Yeah, almost like it was a habitat they specifically stated was built from the ground up in space, so it didn't have to conform to standard gravitational limitations of geometry.

Yorktown's by no means a pretty station, but it was unique. And at least it was something other than San Fransisco that was being devastated in an Abramsverse Trek movie. I'm going to assume the city holds a substantial Romulan population for how much of a beating it takes (Nero's drill and Vengeance literally crashing on top of it).

Edited by Rust, 11 January 2019 - 05:27 PM.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know

#127 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11076 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, almost like it was a habitat they specifically stated was built from the ground up in space, so it didn't have to conform to standard gravitational limitations of geometry.

Yeah, because artificial gravity is finger-wavey magic and doesn't need to have coherent internal logic in the science fiction franchise.

There's also the fact that the (non-pressurized) space docks are RIGHT HUGGING NEXT to the wide open civilian areas, separated only by sheets of transparent aluminum.

And that the atmosphere is held in by a massive forcefield bubble which would instantly disappear if something causes the power to flicker.

#128 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45476 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

Yup. If we want to get into technical quackery in Trek, we could be at this for quite a while.

Though what's funny is I originally was citing how Voyager had a Holodeck system (Presumably quite the energy hog) not tied into the main reactor, but TNG had a Holodeck system that allowed the construction of solid light components that could seize control of aforementioned main reactor. Then it hit me, the reason Voyager's Holodeck isn't tied into the network is BECAUSE OF what Barclay did in TNG.

So you win this round, Voyager writing staff. *Shakes fist*

Edited by Rust, 11 January 2019 - 06:11 PM.

#129 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10579 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

I'm not sure whether how it's powered matters; all the holodecks on Starfleet ships are connected to the main computer core, and via that a clever enough user could hack their way to controlling anything else connected to it, including the M/AM reactor.

#130 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6201 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:37 AM

Holodecks seem antiquated now given the possibilities of virtual reality, think The Matrix or San Junipero in Black Mirror or virtual space in Caprica.

Voyager only had two for a hundred and fifty people, the Enterprise D had a few, Memory Alpha says Seven but I once heard it had four, such things would probably have reservations.

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#131 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3097 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

Just found this video.

#132 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10579 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:55 PM

Holodecks seem antiquated now given the possibilities of virtual reality, think The Matrix or San Junipero in Black Mirror or virtual space in Caprica.

Voyager only had two for a hundred and fifty people, the Enterprise D had a few, Memory Alpha says Seven but I once heard it had four, such things would probably have reservations.

Well, holodecks provide an actual physical space and material objects through which to live out one's fantasies. There will always be people who would value the physical, visceral experience of that compared to something like The Matrix, which just interfaces with your brain to create the illusion of whatever environment is desired. Sure, you can learn Kung Fu in the matrix; but in doing so your physical body won't attain the conditioning needed to actually practice it in the real world. Not so for the holodeck.

#133 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11076 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

Also note that holodecks aren't used just for fantasies; we also see them used for training, research, and social/diplomatic functions that can't be performed elsewhere.

#134 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45476 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

I still fundamentally question how a society with holodecks and replicators does not devolve into hedonistic anarchy, Human nature being what it is. That being said, one of my principle defenses in the criticism to Into Darkness with Marcus using Khan to develop the Vengeance and how a 300 year old being who predates Warp Travel could be of use on that front is that after World War III and the Post Atomic Horror that followed it, Human psyche fundamentally changed in such a way that our modern natures and inclinations became almost alien to the generations who lived after.

Or maybe the core worlds of the Federation are in a state of hedonistic anarchy, given the commonality of world governments being usurped by alien infiltrators on a depressingly routine basis.

#135 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36051 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

Star Trek was built on optimism and idealism, Its why we make peace with the Vulcans when they land, rather then shoot them. So human nature likely has shifted. Faced with the brink of extinction in a post-apocalyptic world humanity decided to be better to recover itself, rather then 'hug it' and start waging war against the universe. As we are in the real world, could never lead to the kind of world that Star Trek presents. So to compare the human nature that we know to Star Trek is pointless.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#136 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10579 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

Once you're a few generations into a post-scarcity society of people who've never known real want of anything, and who know with every fiber of their being that regardless of what happens, the necessities of life will always be available to them, I think you'd probably see some significant shifts in behavior compared to modern people. The kind of greed we see today, in a world where people are still fighting for limited resources and many don't know if they'll have food or a roof over their head from one night to the next (even in the world's richest country, to say nothing of its poorest), would become very rare.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 12 January 2019 - 01:32 PM.

#137 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11076 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

Also note that, in every society, the two biggest questions are "what behaviour will be punished?" and "what behaviour will be rewarded?" After a few generations (and backed up by access to education and the means to avoid poverty), learned behaviours like values and morality tend to become mostly self-sustaining. People in the Federation clearly value productive labour and social engagement for its own sake, with people like Reg Barclay (prone to holo-addiction) or Tom Paris (with his reckless daredevil tendencies) being outliers who are given counselling and (ideally) led toward a place where their abilities can be used productively.

(Also consider that the Vulcans are probably experts in long-term social engineering, given how Surak's teachings have become normalized across all strata of Vulcan society, and they played an active role in Earth's reconstruction and the eventual formation of the Federation.)

It's less a matter of changing human nature and more about creating a society where things like unchecked avarice, bigotry, and cruelty will get you arrested and not, y'know, elected president.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)