Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 January 2019 - 08:45 PM)

@xellos We get to many of those in Hollywood movies.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM)

Re:Creators!

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 07:47 PM)

There is also Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, where people regularly get summoned to a fantasy world, then eventually sent back with their accumulated powers (and the main character smuggles the demon lord's daugher by his request, which is a no-no)

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 07:23 PM)

We need more inverse isekais, like The Devil is a Part-Timer

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 04:11 PM)

I feel like Tron is pushing it but I can't actually come up with an argument to that effect

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

To Arazyr- I don't see why it wouldn't be.

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 02:11 PM)

Just like how TRON and Captain N are early examples of "getting transported into a video game"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2019 - 02:07 PM)

That would explain why it's so common for isekai settings to be blatantly RPG-inspired.

@  Arazyr : (14 January 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Would the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon count as isekai? 8^)

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:06 PM)

I am in the exceedingly unpleasant position of knowing what you're talking about

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:05 PM)

So I'll just say I can consume the series without endorsing the real-life lie that false rape accusations are common and successful.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:04 PM)

I would go on to talk about that, but alas, that would spoil significant future story details about the accuser.

@  B-Fox : (14 January 2019 - 12:03 PM)

Shield Hero dared to have a male character falsely accused of rape, right?

@  B-Fox : (14 January 2019 - 12:02 PM)

At least now people will stop shitting on slice-of-life shows....

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:01 PM)

listen just because it has shield in its name does not mean you need to ally with it

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:01 PM)

oh good lord

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:00 PM)

In fact, the Shield Hero series does not portray slavery as a good thing nor keep the initial slave characters down for the count.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:00 PM)

If you're referring to The Rising of the Shield Hero, the backlash from some Western fans is misaimed, IMO.

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 11:59 AM)

I wish I was more surprised that "slavery apologetics" is a thing. Still disgusted.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 11:53 AM)

But surely we all know the best isekai is Captain N.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 11:49 AM)

This morning I saw one of my friends express disbelief at having an opportunity to say "yet another slavery apologist isekai"

@  Lancer : (14 January 2019 - 11:21 AM)

Although recently they explicably acquire a harem by purchasing them as slaves, which makes it that much worse

@  Lancer : (14 January 2019 - 11:21 AM)

I think what people hate is the modern trend of isekai taking place in generic-ass fantasy settings with bland, oft-overpowered male protagonists that inexplicably acquire a harem.

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 11:07 AM)

Does Kingdom Hearts count? On the one hand it's a serial world hopping adventure, on the other hand all the worlds are contained within the same overworld that the characters have always been in, just unaware of.

Photo
- - - - -

Fourth Kelvin Star Trek film by S.J. Clarkson - Pine and Hemsworth no longer on board?

136 replies to this topic

#1 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 8529 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:30 PM

Evidently, Paramount's negotiations with Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth are breaking down over financials.

https://www.hollywoo...ks-fall-1133802

Clarification for anyone confused about "Star Trek 4": as I understand the state of post-Beyond theatrical Trek, Quentin Tarantino's upcoming Trek film was announced first, in December 2017, but subsequently, in April 2018, S.J. Clarkson was announced to be directing a separate Trek film, and that Clarkson's film would enter production and presumably see release before Tarantino's.

General Star Trek thread here.

Tarantino Star Trek thread here.

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 11 August 2018 - 12:31 PM.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#2 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38558 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

A pity, but I would be up for a return to the Primeverse. Give me a movie about the Titan! 

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#3 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1322 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:07 PM

I think the Kelvin universe was a great experiment, and gave us the 'beyond' film which I really enjoyed. But if nothing else we should be really thankful it gave Star Trek a shot up the arm again and re-ignited new series for us to happen.

It's a Newcomic (apparently)

#4 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 44602 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:58 PM

It's disappointing, but both Hemsworth and Pine are bigger stars now then they were in '09, and it's irrational to expect them to have enough love of the Trek brand to take a pay hit and thus devalue themselves going forward.

I say at least get John Cho aboard to do a Kelvinverse Captain Sulu film.

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#5 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 2754 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:20 PM

My theory: James Cameron has been playing an elaborate 4D chess game to ensure that Zoe Saldana will have no choice but to make Avatar sequels for the rest of her life.

#6 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10523 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:26 PM

The horror... I mean they may only get paid a few times what an ordinary person works for 15-20 years to earn instead of 10-20x.  :rolleyes

Don't get me wrong; both seem like nice enough guys... especially Hemsworth. But really, celebrity salary disputes and worries over devaluing themselves doesn't make the list of things I'll ever give two shits about, to be completely honest.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 11 August 2018 - 11:27 PM.

#7 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34134 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:13 AM

Hemsworth?  Time travel?

#8 tec

tec

Come on summer!

• Supporter
  • 29325 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:59 AM

There going back and doing Best Destiny :D

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#9 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 44602 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:57 PM

The horror... I mean they may only get paid a few times what an ordinary person works for 15-20 years to earn instead of 10-20x.  :rolleyes

Don't get me wrong; both seem like nice enough guys... especially Hemsworth. But really, celebrity salary disputes and worries over devaluing themselves doesn't make the list of things I'll ever give two shits about, to be completely honest.

I don't disagree in the slightest, but that's the world in which they live. And in that world, Trek is a shlocky property that has a rabid fanbase that has had multiple documentaries devoted to it in which former cast members showcase some of the strangest things they've ever been given.

I'm enough of a realist to comprehend in today's social media world, that's just asking for trouble.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#10 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10523 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

I mean, they'll either do the film or they won't. No harm either way... three films is a good run for any series, and oftentimes 3 seems to be just enough before it all turns to crap.

Personally, if I had either of their net worths and was a professional actor, I'd only be doing roles because I enjoyed them and the characters were fun to play. Not for the paycheque. I don't think they need to worry about the Abramsverse Trek films ruining their careers, though; that isn't the old nerdy Trek. Plus Chris Hemsworth's status has been solidified by the MCU forevermore.

#11 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 26943 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:44 PM

Yeah sorry Paramount.  Pine and Helmsworth basically said goodbye to you long ago.

Ironbite-especially Helmsworth.

xC9l3eY.gif

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 44602 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:02 PM

Personally, if I had either of their net worths and was a professional actor, I'd only be doing roles because I enjoyed them and the characters were fun to play. Not for the paycheque.

Again, I agree. But also again, there's no indication either of them have much love for the Trek brand.

It's a dang shame, because I really did love Pine's Kirk.

#13 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10523 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:06 PM

Well, Hemsworth was in Trek for all of 5 minutes. I'm kind of shocked he was; I had to go back and check. Personally, I see no reason why he'd want to return, either.

As far as Pine goes, I liked his Kirk (not as much as I liked Urban's McCoy), but if he didn't enjoy the role or doesn't feel as if coming back and working with that cast again would be enjoyable enough for it to be worth taking a "lesser" salary, that's his call. If he doesn't return, though, I don't think they should try to continue without him.

#14 Dekafox

Dekafox

熱血最強

• Citizen
  • 1102 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:30 AM

They could always borrow from the Prime universe and have a new actor step in as Decker to take over the Enterprise, like what was supposed to happen in what became the first movie.

#15 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8213 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:31 AM

Stick a fork in the Kelvinverse already. It's run its course.

#16 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38558 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

I agree that Urban as McCoy was amazing and Quinto did a great job as Spock, so I will definitely miss them as the characters. The others, not so much.

They could always borrow from the Prime universe and have a new actor step in as Decker to take over the Enterprise, like what was supposed to happen in what became the first movie.

That would be a neat idea, bu who would be a good actor for the role? 

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#17 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16551 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

It's only frustrating because if these movies end, what happens to this continuity? It sits here and gets ignored? They should try to at least make some kind of fourth film to do something cool and wrap it up.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#18 Donocropolis

Donocropolis

Broom broom!

• Citizen
  • 3025 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

It's only frustrating because if these movies end, what happens to this continuity? It sits here and gets ignored? They should try to at least make some kind of fourth film to do something cool and wrap it up.

This one apparently does plan to have time travel and Kirk's father, so maybe the Enterprise goes back in time, stops the Narada early, and erases their own splinter timeline.

#19 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12154 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:05 PM

I know *I'm* happy to sit here and ignore the Kelvinverse.

(ESPECIALLY if they're letting Tarantino near it).

#20 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16551 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

I mean I'm looking forward to Quentin's take because it'll be something we haven't gotten before.
Http://www.scatterville.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users