Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Otaku : (23 October 2018 - 09:12 AM)

Now, I'm not saying that Cybertronians ought to have human life-spans, just that "millions of years" is too long.  Though I suppose it makes the "Oh, I suddenly remembered [plot point]!" moments credible because where do you store all the memories in an easily accessed form?  If you do remember even most things clearly... might that not be maddening?

@  Otaku : (23 October 2018 - 09:09 AM)

The "millions of years old" thing is probably the most alien aspect of Cybertronians.  It pushes my suspension of disbelief for anything remotely human to live that long and still be sane, or maybe even functional.  I think of how aging has affected my own view and sure, some of it is biological maturation, but a lot of it is experience.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2018 - 07:11 AM)

But they don't really have a childhood either. They go online and all maturation is literally job experience.

@  Shrug : (23 October 2018 - 06:47 AM)

Well, they're practically immortal. That kind of lifespan doesn't exactly push growing up.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 October 2018 - 04:00 AM)

They can't handle physical scale, did you think temporal scale would fare any better?

@  Pennpenn : (23 October 2018 - 03:44 AM)

Maybe it's that they're functionally intelligent, but don't ever really mature much psychologically. That and presumably the original writers gave as much of a shit about deep time as they did about space geometry.

@  Whirl Maximus : (23 October 2018 - 02:03 AM)

I'm mixed about the millions of years thing, it's somewhat at odds when transformers are humanized as they often are.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 October 2018 - 11:59 PM)

Are any of the Transformers terribly bright, really? This is a spacefaring civilization that's millions of years old that seem to be fighting a perpetual war for no particular reason. Transformers are stupider than humans

@  wonko the sane? : (22 October 2018 - 08:31 PM)

Depends on the machine. Are you recruiting them, or MAKING them?

@  Cybersnark : (22 October 2018 - 08:30 PM)

... And not terribly bright.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 October 2018 - 07:51 PM)

Makes sense for robot soldiers: you would want something fast, low profile, but lots of power.

@  Waspinator : (22 October 2018 - 06:31 PM)

If we go by the Prime cartoon, sports cars apparently ARE the expendable troop of choice.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 October 2018 - 04:29 PM)

Just fold 'em into a box and slap some wheels on it, they'll figure it out.

@  Pennpenn : (22 October 2018 - 01:57 AM)

Given that by the time we're up to in the story Functionalism had been dead for millions of years and many of the people around were made during and for the war, it's probably more likely that "sports car shaped thing" was an easy to make alt mode for expendable troops.

@  MEDdMI : (21 October 2018 - 09:52 PM)

maybe there's underground demolition derbies too

@  Locoman : (21 October 2018 - 09:25 PM)

Every single sports car was one of those two jobs? Considering how many there seem to be....

@  RichardT1977 : (21 October 2018 - 07:34 PM)

Athletic Entertainment

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 October 2018 - 03:32 PM)

It's mentioned in one issue that Bumblebee was a courier. The only other fast cars I can remember seeing in Functionist times were Blur and a couple of Stunticons, as racers.

@  SG Roadbuster : (21 October 2018 - 12:14 PM)

i figured the sports cars were either racers or couriers.

@  Nevermore : (21 October 2018 - 12:13 PM)

Upper Class. They're clearly not made for manual labor.

@  Locoman : (21 October 2018 - 12:09 PM)

Functionism only really makes sense for certain alternate modes like mining or construction equipment; where do things like sports cars fit in?

@  Xellos : (21 October 2018 - 11:51 AM)

At least in the movies they can switch to a (similar) alt mode at will, it seems. Especially if they want to sell more toys per movie.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2018 - 10:44 AM)

They are a race of adaptive machines. Maybe they were expected to change themselves to fit the role?

@  RichardT1977 : (21 October 2018 - 10:06 AM)

IDW-verse discrimination still made more sense than the backstory in TF: Exodus, where everyone's caste was assigned seemingly at random with no regard for their aptitudes (altmode or otherwise)

@  MEDdMI : (21 October 2018 - 07:55 AM)

Lost Light is good too, so far.

@  MEDdMI : (21 October 2018 - 07:54 AM)

I'm not terribly into Transformers in general, but I did mostly enjoy the More Than Meets The Eye series.

@  Nevermore : (21 October 2018 - 05:11 AM)

Which has been in the state constitution since 1946, but was never actually executed according to documents, and is currently not in effect because the German federal constitution, which takes priority over state constitution, has banned the death penalty back in 1949.

@  Nevermore : (21 October 2018 - 05:09 AM)

Huh. So next weekend, when the German state of Hesse will have its state election, there will also be a ballot about changing the state constitution... and one of the proposed changes will be abolishing the death penalty.

@  Waspinator : (21 October 2018 - 03:44 AM)

I really need to read those comics

@  Pennpenn : (21 October 2018 - 03:28 AM)

Up to and including the fact that certain alternate modes could end up being classified as "surplus to requirements" and systematically murdered.

@  Pennpenn : (21 October 2018 - 03:26 AM)

And in IDW comics where it is/was literally a form of apartheid where your alternate mode pretty much dictated how you were treated by society, what jobs you could pursue, pretty much everything.

@  Waspinator : (21 October 2018 - 02:24 AM)

We do get hints of that from time to time in Transformers, with stuff like some jets acting smug towards cars and whatnot.

@  RichardT1977 : (20 October 2018 - 08:10 PM)

"No shotgun of Mine is going to marry a rocket launcher" sounds like something that Targetmasters (or WFC Siege Micromasters) might say...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 08:06 PM)

The characters are actually kinda nice. Sure a bunch of them are from New Jersey, but you get a few aliens too.. But if you do that, you might want to go digital delux verisons.

@  Xellos : (20 October 2018 - 06:38 PM)

My only issue is that the aside from Fox, the looks of the characters are kinda bland. If anything, I'll at least get it on Black Friday, as they almost always have deals on the toys to life stuff.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 06:07 PM)

Well I can tell you, if you are going physical version because you want the toys. The Switch version has the best Ship mount as you just slide the joycons into it. The PS4 ship mount is wired. The game itself is very good in my opionion. In some ways it starts to turn into an RTS without being an RTS. You've got to start focus on keeping your planets from being taken back over. It has a LOT to do. It does have some repitive missions, because well, trying to let you level up all pilots and ships and such. The switch version -ALSO- has starfox only missions and the characters are incorporated into the story.

@  Xellos : (20 October 2018 - 06:03 PM)

How is Starlink anyways? Been thinking of getting the Switch version for StarFox, which is quite unusal for me, as I almost always pick the PS4 versions (favorite controller and I already have so many Trophys on it).

@  Waspinator : (20 October 2018 - 05:42 PM)

No shotgun of mine is going to marry a rocket launcher!

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 October 2018 - 05:22 PM)

Should they be allowed to marry outside of their own caliber?

@  Waspinator : (20 October 2018 - 05:18 PM)

I'm conflicted on the subject of marriage rights for shotguns.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 03:24 PM)

You say, "Damn it, what do you think this is, a shotgun wedding?"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 03:23 PM)

What do you do if someone wants to bring their concealed-carry to your American wedding?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 01:58 PM)

Benbot, I was streaming the PS4 version of Starlink

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 01:25 PM)

Ergo their reporting will have its own slant on the facts as they choose, not the most neutral way possible.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 01:24 PM)

I find it sad to realize that the prestigious New York Times which I trusted a lot as a kid in fact has its own editorial agenda.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:20 PM)

The end result is NOT that stupid bullshit gets equal coverage as reasonable arguments. That would be problematic in itself (the "false balance" bias), but the provlem is that the controversial stupid bullshit gets MORE coverage than the reasonable arguments.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:17 PM)

The media doesn't want to miss the opportunity to report on a controversy, and as a consequence makes sure that the controversial statements reach an audience.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:17 PM)

Because they realized that saying controversial shit is guaranteed to get coverage.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:16 PM)

It's the same here in Germany. Our right-wing moron party is still a political minority, yet they succeed in driving the topics the media keeps reporting.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:15 PM)

The main problem was that Trump was banking on controversy, and the media was reporting controversy because it gave them ratings.

Photo

Unicron #3 Discussion

36 replies to this topic

#1 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9121 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

Discuss the issue here!

Spoiler-free review on the front page:
https://www.allspark...view-unicron-3/

#2 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6027 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

Massive spoilers!!!!!:

(for the backup)

Spoiler

WsuGTl1.jpg

#3 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10545 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

Sitterson's been making a pretty big stink on social media, implying that IDW deliberately cut short SSF to appease reactionaries, so I can see why they wouldn't try to get him back.

#4 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Staff
  • 7925 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:18 PM

Whoa!

Victorion gets wrecked by Monstructor!

Epic!

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#5 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16427 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:39 PM

This was the first issue of the whole "end" saga, from all 3 titles since May or so, that made me sad.

#6 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2484 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:36 AM

Soundwave trying to give his people a fighting chance, even after they've abandoned him, was a good moment.

Spoiler

Edited by Wildwade, 08 August 2018 - 04:37 AM.

#7 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9121 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:06 AM

Yeah, Soundwave's play at the end of this issue was really nice, drawing on both the "empathic man of the people" and "wily master of information" characterisations that've been used for him in this continuity.

Edited by Jalaguy, 08 August 2018 - 05:07 AM.

#8 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22205 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:27 AM

Hell yeah, Monstructor!

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#9 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3456 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:44 AM

Victorion, no!

I guess the Talisman cameo during OP 10 doesn't really fit into continuity anymore, does it?
"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#10 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16427 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:12 AM

Monstructor and Omega Supreme are really the only conspicuous IDW TFs who never got new toys this whole time, aren't they?

EDIT: and Crankcase

Edited by Thylacine 2000, 08 August 2018 - 02:04 PM.

#11 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12339 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

It's kind of an odd art decision to have the last page be Cybertron being torn apart and then not be able to see it for a cutout of surprised expressions.

#12 Johnny Here

Johnny Here
  • Citizen
  • 643 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:55 AM

Lol @ You Guys are gross.
Its true.

#13 TF14

TF14
  • Citizen
  • 536 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:56 AM

I like how you really get a feel for how much Bumblebee is enjoying being alive and being able to interact with other people again. Even with the apocalypse looming overheads.

Check out howtohero.tumblr.com where I discuss the finer points of superhero life. 

#14 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 8748 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

I'm still not getting what exactly makes the Maximals of Maximo while also being of Onyx.

#15 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1574 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:02 PM

I'm still not getting what exactly makes the Maximals of Maximo while also being of Onyx.

They're a lie. That's the whole gag.

#16 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2484 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:02 PM

I feel like there's some Dire Wraith in Bludgeon, Monstructor, and the Maximals now.  They all certainly look like they do that splky mutating thing that Stardrive does.

#17 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1574 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:03 PM

I feel like there's some Dire Wraith in Bludgeon, Monstructor, and the Maximals now.  They all certainly look like they do that splky mutating thing that Stardrive does.

Bludgeom amd the Maximals look it, but Monstructor pretty much always looks this messed up

#18 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Staff
  • 7925 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:24 PM

Monstructor the monster, hurr hurr.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#19 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3456 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:26 PM

I"m pretty sure the implication is that once Liege Maximo joined up with Onyx, he gave him control of his Maximals, possibly to preserve his illusion as the "master of beasts."

And we know that there are other non-Maximal Transformers that served him, like Rhinox, and the various generics who were part of the real Onyx's flock...

Edited by Locoman, 08 August 2018 - 02:27 PM.

"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#20 Prime Radiant

Prime Radiant

TFWiki: Flawlessvoid.

• Citizen
  • 135 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:34 PM

When Bumblebee started telling everyone about the vision he saw, someone replied "Bumblebee, old friend"--and I couldn't tell if the speech bubble were pointing to Optimus or Starscream, who's been chatting with his spirit for a while now.

I'm sure it was Optimus, but I really enjoyed that moment of not knowing and figuring it could've been either.

Believing I had not miscalculated was the first miscalculation.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users