Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:52 AM)

The recent ongoing series didn't start until what, 2013?

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:51 AM)

Then was continued as a five-issue mini-series ("Local Heroes"), then came a 16-issue maxi-series ("The Dark Age"), plus a couple of standalone specials and two-parters...

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:50 AM)

It started out as a series, but due to Busiek's health problems (?), it was put on hold after six issues, then got relaunched with a new #1, had several delays (again because of Busiek's health issues), was discontinued after #22...

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:49 AM)

I don't get why people are making such a big deal out of Astro City becoming a series of graphic novels now. I mean, it's not like it's always been a steady ongoing series.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 08:19 PM)

I'm also only reading the trades. So I'm still missing... two volumes that are currently only available as hardcovers? Three?

@  Trpodeca : (17 January 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Astro City is great. Since I only read the trades, there probably won't be a big change for me.

@  ZakuConvoy : (17 January 2019 - 05:34 PM)

I have. Great series. Hopefully the transition to OGNs will be a smooth one.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 07:20 AM)

Anyone here reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City?

@  Verity Carlo : (16 January 2019 - 01:12 PM)

https://sites.google...ations---part-1awwwww shit

@  Benbot : (16 January 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Remember the Noid? He steals pizzas!

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:47 AM)

That said, the old "Nester" character from Nintendo Power IS owned by Nintendo, and I could see a homage in there

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:46 AM)

Because technically DiC created the character, Nintendo does not own him.

@  Paladin : (16 January 2019 - 10:28 AM)

sidebar- why is "Captain N" not in Smash yet? that seems like such an easy option.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2019 - 09:18 AM)

The 90's mario cartoons had exactly three character aspects to work with: fat, italian and plumber. He wasn't exactly wrenching pipes in every episode, so they had to do something...

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 January 2019 - 07:31 AM)

It's in another castle.

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:24 AM)

i HOpE sHe mADe LotSA SPAGHETTI

@  Locoman : (16 January 2019 - 06:17 AM)

Mario, wherever you are, HEEEEEEEELP!

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:07 AM)

That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario *wheeze*

@  Pennpenn : (16 January 2019 - 02:24 AM)

It's too hot here.

@  Echowarrior : (15 January 2019 - 11:03 PM)

I liked the Super Mario Brothers Super Show the best myself.

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 10:35 PM)

There's always the three Mario cartoons DiC made back in the 80s.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 09:48 PM)

So they could make a show that everyone would scream was an adventure time knockoff? I get what you're saying, but I can't see it being well received.

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 January 2019 - 08:45 PM)

@xellos We get to many of those in Hollywood movies.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM)

Re:Creators!

Photo

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Everyone is Here! ( Except Waluigi)

384 replies to this topic

#41 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 4922 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:56 AM

Up to this point, I think all characters have appeared in conjunction with video games before any other media. There is no Captain N video game.

I have to agree with D Buster on Captain N.  He never appeared in a video game, which is a must for a character to appear in Smash Bros.

Well I get what you are saying, but technically. R.O.B. isn't from a game. He's an accessory.

I know R.O.B. is a bit different situation/story then Captain N, but I'm still hopeful.

Now, to be fair I do doubt he'll be included, but that doesn't change the fact I really want him in.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#42 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 25640 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:36 AM

Up to this point, I think all characters have appeared in conjunction with video games before any other media. There is no Captain N video game.

I have to agree with D Buster on Captain N.  He never appeared in a video game, which is a must for a character to appear in Smash Bros.

Well I get what you are saying, but technically. R.O.B. isn't from a game. He's an accessory.

I know R.O.B. is a bit different situation/story then Captain N, but I'm still hopeful.

Now, to be fair I do doubt he'll be included, but that doesn't change the fact I really want him in.

I didn't say that a character had to be in a game. I said "appeared in conjunction with a game". That applies to R.O.B., who first appeared in conjunction with Gyromite and Stack Up, and is featured on the box art for both games.

Edited by D Buster Prime, 09 August 2018 - 11:38 AM.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#43 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1554 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:48 PM

The Castlevania trailer didn't hit me with as much of an OMG moment as the Mega Man trailer did, but the excitement is still really sticking with me. I'm really looking forward to trying out the Belmonts. I love that they're bringing the bosses in as stage hazards, with particular focus on including all the bosses from the original game. And I can't wait to hear all the music arrangements. 34 songs for a single fighter (+ echo) and stage is kinda crazy, but it's a great kind of crazy. I was planning on not buying any more games before Christmas to save some money, but I'm really starting to doubt I can hold out even just those couple extra weeks.

So now that Castlevania's out of the way, what other franchises would make sense as the next big one to include? So far, we have Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Simon/Richter. Who's left to make a big splash? Master Chief? Kratos? Someone from Assassin's Creed?

It would never happen, but the character that next comes to mind that I'd love to see would be BoF Ryu. The Altered Beast centurion could be neat too.

#44 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 4922 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:07 PM

I didn't say that a character had to be in a game. I said "appeared in conjunction with a game". That applies to R.O.B., who first appeared in conjunction with Gyromite and Stack Up, and is featured on the box art for both games.

Well technically Captain N appeared in conjunction with many games. Many were featured in his show.

R.O.B. still wasn't IN a game. He was just used to play a couple, and I wouldn't think Captain N would be that strange compared to R.O.B.

Yes because Captain N was only in a cartoon, the chances of him being in the game are pretty slim, but I'm optimistic and saying it's not impossible.

Still highly unlikely sadly.

(Though if you have to have a game to get in, ironically Nester has a bigger chance as he does have a game to his name.)

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#45 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 7461 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:03 PM

I'd honestly say at this point what makes Captain N the most unlikely is that it's from a piece of ancillary media that Japan never even got in the first place.

But then, we're in a timeline where people are seriously discussing the viability of Kevin Keene in Smash, and that fact utterly delights me.

#46 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14495 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

But then, we're in a timeline where people are seriously discussing the viability of Kevin Keene in Smash, and that fact utterly delights me.

So, let's talk about it. You'd assume that the Zapper is going to be his main weapon, and then his specials would be the different Power Pad abilities from his belt buckle, right? I remember him calling up a bat before and some sort of glowing power ball.

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 09 August 2018 - 02:30 PM.

Yep.

#47 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35910 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

So that means we can get Gameboy in the lineup?

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#48 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7612 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:37 PM

Assist trophy.

Well thats assuming Kevin is fully playable. I'd be perfectly happy with him being an Assist amd jist fprgetting Gameboy (the character)

But of course we'd need King Hippo and Eggplant Wizard to show up

#49 unluckiness

unluckiness

WARGARBARBL

• Citizen
  • 17851 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:16 PM

I wonder if the other guest companies will get additional fighters and echoes to be equal to konamis representation. Ken and Shadow are easy enough tweaks to existing characters. Then there are the rumors of Tekken characters...

If course, Capcom had two this generation vs Sega and Namcos one so IDK.

pDHhVB1.jpg

#50 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 25640 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:35 PM

I have a feeling that several assist trophies will become playable characters via DLC, but this won't be revealed until well after launch.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#51 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22079 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:58 PM

I have a feeling that several assist trophies will become playable characters via DLC, but this won't be revealed until well after launch.

Fingers crossed for Shovel Knight, then. x ]

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#52 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 25640 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:14 PM

I'm looking forward to that, as well.as characters like Bomberman and Waluigi as DLC.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#53 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7748 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:20 PM

Then there are the rumors of Tekken characters...

On the one hand, characters from other fighting games bore the hell out of me. We already know their fighting style and we can play as them in their own games whenever we want. I want to see how Paperboy or the chef from BurgerTime fights.

On the other hand, I also kind of feel like having Street Fighter represented means there should be a Mortal Kombat character too.

Edited by Sean Whitmore, 09 August 2018 - 11:20 PM.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

#54 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:14 AM

OK, I just had an idea for what I'd really like to see. Forget Trevor as a second echo of Simon. What I'd love to see would be a bunch of the Belmonts as alternate costumes for Simon and Richter, just like how the Koopalings are alternate costumes for Bowser Jr. Maybe something like Christopher, Trevor, and Julius from Simon, along with Sonia, Juste, and Leon from Richter. Probably more modeling work than they're willing to put in, but I would love to see that happen.

#55 unluckiness

unluckiness

WARGARBARBL

• Citizen
  • 17851 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:33 AM

Still cant believe the trailer flubbed Richters line.

pDHhVB1.jpg

#56 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14495 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

Well thats assuming Kevin is fully playable. I'd be perfectly happy with him being an Assist amd jist fprgetting Gameboy (the character)

I was just thinking that this morning. I think the reason why Shovel Knight is only an assist is because the games never really took off in Japan, and Caption N never broadcast there. If characters like Zero are only going to be assists then the best chance we'd have of even MAYBE seeing Kevin would be as an Assist Trophy, and like you, I'd be more than happy with that.

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 10 August 2018 - 08:43 AM.

Yep.

#57 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35910 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

Random never happen idea: Kevin uses the Zapper as his main weapon, yes? Echo Fighter of Fox or Falco... It's not a perfect fit, but it'd mostly work for the basics...

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#58 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4295 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

Still think Nester has a chance, after all, he DID get a game:

https://en.wikipedia...s_Funky_Bowling

Hell, maybe take down multiple homages at once?  IF I were doing this, I'd design Nester as the ultimate 90s "cool guy" with a backwards cap and jacket.  Give him the Powerglive and zapper and build a move set around that.  And his alternate decos?  Variations on Nintendo marketing slogans like "Play it Loud", "Playing with Power", "Get N or Get Out" and the final alternate deco would be the Captain N homage.

Maybe not what fans really want, but probably the most practical all things considered.

#59 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 7461 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:33 PM

Nester might have a game, but I honestly lump in with Kevin for the reason that said games never got to Japan, and if the games don't get to Japan they might as well not exist to Smash Bros.  Duck Hunt represents the Light Gun, but that's limited to Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, and Wild Gunman.  But games like To The Earth or Gumshoe don't even get a trophy.  Heck, Barker Bob's Trick Shooting is the only other game the Duck Hunt dog is besides VS Duck Hunt and that gets nothing to its credit either!

Likewise, look at Kid Icarus Uprising: the game constantly emphasizes Pit's last adventure was 25 years ago-- completely ignoring the US exclusive Gameboy title "Of Myths and Monsters".  

So Nester, whose only real "appearance" in anything was having his design used as Lark in Pilotwings 64... well... 

#60 Otaku

Otaku

The Repentant Fool

• Citizen
  • 2500 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:49 PM

Nester might have a game, but I honestly lump in with Kevin for the reason that said games never got to Japan, and if the games don't get to Japan they might as well not exist to Smash Bros.  Duck Hunt represents the Light Gun, but that's limited to Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, and Wild Gunman.  But games like To The Earth or Gumshoe don't even get a trophy.  Heck, Barker Bob's Trick Shooting is the only other game the Duck Hunt dog is besides VS Duck Hunt and that gets nothing to its credit either!

Likewise, look at Kid Icarus Uprising: the game constantly emphasizes Pit's last adventure was 25 years ago-- completely ignoring the US exclusive Gameboy title "Of Myths and Monsters".  

So Nester, whose only real "appearance" in anything was having his design used as Lark in Pilotwings 64... well... 

Both supporting and contradicting your point, because life is funny like that:

Nintendo is a Japanese company, and even if it wasn't, the Japanese market is incredibly important when it comes to video games (among other things).  It is perfectly reasonable for perceived popular opinion from Japan to influence Nintendo's decisions.  Yet, I was under the impression that Ridley would never be a playable character and Shovel Knight would never show up at all in Smash Bros. because neither is popular enough in Japan.  So sometimes, Nintendo goes against what "Japan" seems to want.

That something never released in Japan explains a character's lack of popularity, but when we're dealing with games that are so old, I don't think it becomes a credible reason alone for exclusion.  Nester's Funky Bowling never released in Japan, they didn't get Nintendo Power (of if they did, it wasn't like the North American version) so they don't know Nester and if they know Howard, it is because he's basically the alter ego of Howard Phillips (former face of Nintendo of America).  If for some reason, one or both of these characters suddenly became hugely popular in Japan, the fact that Howard never appeared in a game and that Nester never appeared in a Japanese game (and appeared in only an obscure one elsewhere) would not keep either character from appearing in Smash Bros.  Other factors could; I don't know who owns the rights to either Howard or Nester.  Oh, and I know no one brought up Howard, but the two were best as a duo.  Well, maybe Nester with his son would also work.

Anyway, the main thing I'm hoping for now is that we see more crossover between Assist Trophies, Boss Characters, Characters, and Stage Enemies (Hazards).  Right now, a character appearing as one means it won't appear as another except for the recently revealed Rathalos and (IIRC) some Pokémon.  As soon as we have more crossover between any and all of these, seeing a character appear as one stops being so bittersweet.  Becoming an Assist Trophy, Boss Character, or Stage Enemy becomes a potential step towards becoming a playable Character.  The first step is the easiest; not getting an existing Assist Trophy, Boss Character, or Stage Enemy as a playable character, but having some playable characters also show up as one or multiple of those three.  After all, the needed assets are already in the game at this point.

The Allspark, where most of my commenting "hang-ups" were born!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users