Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Otaku : (23 October 2018 - 09:12 AM)

Now, I'm not saying that Cybertronians ought to have human life-spans, just that "millions of years" is too long.  Though I suppose it makes the "Oh, I suddenly remembered [plot point]!" moments credible because where do you store all the memories in an easily accessed form?  If you do remember even most things clearly... might that not be maddening?

@  Otaku : (23 October 2018 - 09:09 AM)

The "millions of years old" thing is probably the most alien aspect of Cybertronians.  It pushes my suspension of disbelief for anything remotely human to live that long and still be sane, or maybe even functional.  I think of how aging has affected my own view and sure, some of it is biological maturation, but a lot of it is experience.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2018 - 07:11 AM)

But they don't really have a childhood either. They go online and all maturation is literally job experience.

@  Shrug : (23 October 2018 - 06:47 AM)

Well, they're practically immortal. That kind of lifespan doesn't exactly push growing up.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 October 2018 - 04:00 AM)

They can't handle physical scale, did you think temporal scale would fare any better?

@  Pennpenn : (23 October 2018 - 03:44 AM)

Maybe it's that they're functionally intelligent, but don't ever really mature much psychologically. That and presumably the original writers gave as much of a shit about deep time as they did about space geometry.

@  Whirl Maximus : (23 October 2018 - 02:03 AM)

I'm mixed about the millions of years thing, it's somewhat at odds when transformers are humanized as they often are.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 October 2018 - 11:59 PM)

Are any of the Transformers terribly bright, really? This is a spacefaring civilization that's millions of years old that seem to be fighting a perpetual war for no particular reason. Transformers are stupider than humans

@  wonko the sane? : (22 October 2018 - 08:31 PM)

Depends on the machine. Are you recruiting them, or MAKING them?

@  Cybersnark : (22 October 2018 - 08:30 PM)

... And not terribly bright.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 October 2018 - 07:51 PM)

Makes sense for robot soldiers: you would want something fast, low profile, but lots of power.

@  Waspinator : (22 October 2018 - 06:31 PM)

If we go by the Prime cartoon, sports cars apparently ARE the expendable troop of choice.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 October 2018 - 04:29 PM)

Just fold 'em into a box and slap some wheels on it, they'll figure it out.

@  Pennpenn : (22 October 2018 - 01:57 AM)

Given that by the time we're up to in the story Functionalism had been dead for millions of years and many of the people around were made during and for the war, it's probably more likely that "sports car shaped thing" was an easy to make alt mode for expendable troops.

@  MEDdMI : (21 October 2018 - 09:52 PM)

maybe there's underground demolition derbies too

@  Locoman : (21 October 2018 - 09:25 PM)

Every single sports car was one of those two jobs? Considering how many there seem to be....

@  RichardT1977 : (21 October 2018 - 07:34 PM)

Athletic Entertainment

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 October 2018 - 03:32 PM)

It's mentioned in one issue that Bumblebee was a courier. The only other fast cars I can remember seeing in Functionist times were Blur and a couple of Stunticons, as racers.

@  SG Roadbuster : (21 October 2018 - 12:14 PM)

i figured the sports cars were either racers or couriers.

@  Nevermore : (21 October 2018 - 12:13 PM)

Upper Class. They're clearly not made for manual labor.

@  Locoman : (21 October 2018 - 12:09 PM)

Functionism only really makes sense for certain alternate modes like mining or construction equipment; where do things like sports cars fit in?

@  Xellos : (21 October 2018 - 11:51 AM)

At least in the movies they can switch to a (similar) alt mode at will, it seems. Especially if they want to sell more toys per movie.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2018 - 10:44 AM)

They are a race of adaptive machines. Maybe they were expected to change themselves to fit the role?

@  RichardT1977 : (21 October 2018 - 10:06 AM)

IDW-verse discrimination still made more sense than the backstory in TF: Exodus, where everyone's caste was assigned seemingly at random with no regard for their aptitudes (altmode or otherwise)

@  MEDdMI : (21 October 2018 - 07:55 AM)

Lost Light is good too, so far.

@  MEDdMI : (21 October 2018 - 07:54 AM)

I'm not terribly into Transformers in general, but I did mostly enjoy the More Than Meets The Eye series.

@  Nevermore : (21 October 2018 - 05:11 AM)

Which has been in the state constitution since 1946, but was never actually executed according to documents, and is currently not in effect because the German federal constitution, which takes priority over state constitution, has banned the death penalty back in 1949.

@  Nevermore : (21 October 2018 - 05:09 AM)

Huh. So next weekend, when the German state of Hesse will have its state election, there will also be a ballot about changing the state constitution... and one of the proposed changes will be abolishing the death penalty.

@  Waspinator : (21 October 2018 - 03:44 AM)

I really need to read those comics

@  Pennpenn : (21 October 2018 - 03:28 AM)

Up to and including the fact that certain alternate modes could end up being classified as "surplus to requirements" and systematically murdered.

@  Pennpenn : (21 October 2018 - 03:26 AM)

And in IDW comics where it is/was literally a form of apartheid where your alternate mode pretty much dictated how you were treated by society, what jobs you could pursue, pretty much everything.

@  Waspinator : (21 October 2018 - 02:24 AM)

We do get hints of that from time to time in Transformers, with stuff like some jets acting smug towards cars and whatnot.

@  RichardT1977 : (20 October 2018 - 08:10 PM)

"No shotgun of Mine is going to marry a rocket launcher" sounds like something that Targetmasters (or WFC Siege Micromasters) might say...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 08:06 PM)

The characters are actually kinda nice. Sure a bunch of them are from New Jersey, but you get a few aliens too.. But if you do that, you might want to go digital delux verisons.

@  Xellos : (20 October 2018 - 06:38 PM)

My only issue is that the aside from Fox, the looks of the characters are kinda bland. If anything, I'll at least get it on Black Friday, as they almost always have deals on the toys to life stuff.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 06:07 PM)

Well I can tell you, if you are going physical version because you want the toys. The Switch version has the best Ship mount as you just slide the joycons into it. The PS4 ship mount is wired. The game itself is very good in my opionion. In some ways it starts to turn into an RTS without being an RTS. You've got to start focus on keeping your planets from being taken back over. It has a LOT to do. It does have some repitive missions, because well, trying to let you level up all pilots and ships and such. The switch version -ALSO- has starfox only missions and the characters are incorporated into the story.

@  Xellos : (20 October 2018 - 06:03 PM)

How is Starlink anyways? Been thinking of getting the Switch version for StarFox, which is quite unusal for me, as I almost always pick the PS4 versions (favorite controller and I already have so many Trophys on it).

@  Waspinator : (20 October 2018 - 05:42 PM)

No shotgun of mine is going to marry a rocket launcher!

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 October 2018 - 05:22 PM)

Should they be allowed to marry outside of their own caliber?

@  Waspinator : (20 October 2018 - 05:18 PM)

I'm conflicted on the subject of marriage rights for shotguns.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 03:24 PM)

You say, "Damn it, what do you think this is, a shotgun wedding?"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 03:23 PM)

What do you do if someone wants to bring their concealed-carry to your American wedding?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 01:58 PM)

Benbot, I was streaming the PS4 version of Starlink

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 01:25 PM)

Ergo their reporting will have its own slant on the facts as they choose, not the most neutral way possible.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 01:24 PM)

I find it sad to realize that the prestigious New York Times which I trusted a lot as a kid in fact has its own editorial agenda.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:20 PM)

The end result is NOT that stupid bullshit gets equal coverage as reasonable arguments. That would be problematic in itself (the "false balance" bias), but the provlem is that the controversial stupid bullshit gets MORE coverage than the reasonable arguments.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:17 PM)

The media doesn't want to miss the opportunity to report on a controversy, and as a consequence makes sure that the controversial statements reach an audience.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:17 PM)

Because they realized that saying controversial shit is guaranteed to get coverage.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:16 PM)

It's the same here in Germany. Our right-wing moron party is still a political minority, yet they succeed in driving the topics the media keeps reporting.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:15 PM)

The main problem was that Trump was banking on controversy, and the media was reporting controversy because it gave them ratings.

Photo
- - - - -

S8, Ep 16: "Friendship University".......................(SPOILERS)

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

Ponies & Freedom Are The Right of ALL Sentient Beings!

• Supporter
  • 4270 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

twilight_and_rarity_by_laszl-dbqbnld.png

THE EARLY EDITION!

Because, Crikey, Australia Gets It First!

1 week before the US airing!

Another new episode flying in early.

And it's going to be a Twilight/Rarity combo!

What will these two be facing?

Will Twilight have to deal with a rival school?

The Australian airing will be on Boomerang,

Sunday, August 5th (Saturday, 4th for US)

at 8:30 a.m. AEST

or

Check the Pony Countdown Clock,

for airing times in your local timezone,

if you want to try and locate a stream,

for people outside of Australia.

For those wanting to wait until the US airing,

The new episode will be on Saturday, August 11th

at 11:30 a.m. EST / 8:30 a.m. PST

SYNOPSIS!

starswirl_the_bearded_by_nohotbeverages-

FRIENDSHIP UNIVERSITY:

When Twilight discovers there's another school of friendship,

she and Rarity go to investigate and are shocked to discover

that Twilight's idol and Pillar of Old Equestria, Starswirl the Bearded,

is enrolled at Friendship University!

rarity_and_twilight_sparkle_hugging_by_c

Come visit us in our Allsparkle Discord Chat as the new episode airs in the US!

Edited by Guardian Prime, 02 August 2018 - 11:05 AM.

#2 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 9862 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:04 AM

I'm sorta looking forward to this one. Sorta.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#3 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

• Citizen
  • 9862 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:28 PM

Well, it aired in Australia, and it's on Youtube.

Spoiler

Not a bad episode, but not a great one. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season more than I was this episode, however.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#4 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 4769 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:19 AM

Spoiler

Edited by videomaster21XX, 06 August 2018 - 12:20 AM.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#5 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40143 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:49 AM

Spoiler

#6 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 4769 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:31 AM

Spoiler

That's not how it came across to me. She seemed genuinely convinced it was enough.

Spoiler

#7 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40143 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

Spoiler

That's not how it came across to me. She seemed genuinely convinced it was enough.

So she really sold a bad idea to twilight? It's flim and flam; you can't con them with with an eyepatch, especially not an eyepatch on an alicorn. After what applejack and fluttershy went through, they know this.

I'm not saying she did it maliciously, I'm not saying she did it on purpose, but that's what happened, and it worked. Twilight got found, and they didn't even think to pay attention for an accomplice.

#8 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 4769 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

Well what I'm saying is it really seems like Rarity thought the eyepatch would work. Not that she did it on purpose, and frankly I don't see her doing that. Rarity really doesn't seem the type to sell out her friends. Hence why I kinda tilt my head at the whole thing. Just seems a bit too silly for Rarity.

Now Pinkie. Pinkie I'd buy trying this.

Spoiler

#9 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

• Citizen
  • 9862 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

One could argue that Rarity was counting on Flim and Flam being unobservant, like most other ponies in Equestria. Seriously, they seem all too eager to ignore the fact that Twilight's in their midst unless it's specifically called out to them.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...

#10 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 35899 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

Guardian Prime Today at 11:23 AM
Mornin'

FnuAw Today at 11:25 AM
Morning.

Dvandom Today at 11:27 AM
Allo

Scavenger Today at 11:30 AM

Dvandom Today at 11:31 AM
"Who installed all these waterfalls all over the place? Equestria was flat when I last explored it...."
*My Little Dali"

Scavenger Today at 11:33 AM
..are they actually gonna do a diploma mill stroy?

FnuAw Today at 11:34 AM
I must learn to turn off my phone on Saturday mornings.

Dvandom Today at 11:36 AM
Yeah, in Las Pegasus it's definitely a diploma mill.
Flim and Flam
Eyup
At least they used existing characters instead of making up a new pony who everyone would be reading as an expy of (political figure).
Neighsay has thrown away his professional ethics just to get back at Twi.

FnuAw Today at 11:41 AM
I don't know what kids are supposed to take from some of these episodes, but they're going to be surprised when they revisit this show as nostalgic adults.

Dvandom Today at 11:42 AM
Especially when future-tumblr points out that this episode about a pony supremacist trying to hijack the educational system aired on the first anniversary of the Charolotte nazi march.

Scavenger Today at 11:43 AM
well, that's a bit...coincidental?

Guardian Prime Today at 11:43 AM
I didn't even realize that.

FnuAw Today at 11:43 AM
Political overtones are way more fun when they're coincidental.

Dvandom Today at 11:44 AM
And then there will be the conspiracy theories that the air order weirdness lately was just so this could happen.
Now, if Twi really trusted Starswirl, she'd just go home and wait for him to bring the whole edifice down around Flim and Flam.
Instead, she'll learn to trust him by act three, after spending this act in hijinks.
(Oh, someone with gambling resorts starts a diploma mill, shocking)

Scavenger Today at 11:46 AM
you know, Twilight's title is princess of friendship, but she's also princess of magic...perhaps she should learn that "banish to the moon" spell.

Dvandom Today at 11:46 AM
"Flim and Flam are cons" is a far weaker hook than "Neighsay is a racist" if Twi wants to convince Starswirl.
Oh boy, wacky hijinks.
Snikt

FnuAw Today at 11:48 AM
This stream is too laggy to follow. But it's resulting in some amazing faces.

Dvandom Today at 11:48 AM
Huh, "next level." Scientology riff?

FnuAw Today at 11:49 AM
I'm just going to read a transcript.

Scavenger Today at 11:50 AM
Again, part of the monarchy made of all powerful god princesesses.....
just send them to the moon
Dave, have you tried getting your students to feed you grapes?

FnuAw Today at 11:52 AM
It would be quite a plot twist if it turns out the princesses had no real administrative power this whole time.

Dvandom Today at 11:53 AM
"This island will keep us safe from the rabble after The Event...."
Scav: No, but they have brought cake.

FnuAw Today at 11:54 AM
Well I don't know how good this episode is but the transcript is terrific.

Dvandom Today at 11:56 AM
Alpha Pony?
Good product, but overcharging.
F&F clearly didn't plan to be able to flush the evidence quickly.
Odd that she didn't recognize her own lessons.
Disguises work better when no one knows who you are anyway.

Scavenger Today at 12:00 PM
well twilight never saw the lessons..rarity did

Dvandom Today at 12:01 PM
Twi did see some while wearing the eyepatch and snooping.

Scavenger Today at 12:01 PM
i think she saw marketing material, as opposed to the "work sheets"

Dvandom Today at 12:02 PM
(Also doesn't say much for Rarity reading the lesson plans if she found so much "new" in F&F's copies.)

FnuAw Today at 12:02 PM
That transcript suggested some visuals I must see.

Dvandom Today at 12:03 PM
Such as?

Scavenger Today at 12:03 PM
i think only Twilight has read the lesson plans

FnuAw Today at 12:04 PM
The disguises.

Dvandom Today at 12:04 PM
I half expected Rarity to be wearing a Music Band t-shirt.

Scavenger Today at 12:07 PM
has rarity ever had a flim/flam story?

Dvandom Today at 12:07 PM
No, they're almost always AJ -focus.

FnuAw Today at 12:09 PM
I like how they refuse to write Flim and Flam as entirely one dimensional. The product was overpriced and unoriginal, but not worthless.

Dvandom Today at 12:11 PM
Yep. Most of their scams are undone by cutting corners later on, rather than by having a bad product to begin with (other than the tonic, which was their only real snake oil IIRC).
Moral for the kids: just because something gets a celebrity endorsement doesn't mean it's on the up-and-up.

Scavenger Today at 12:22 PM
maybe it's don't trust higher education

Dvandom Today at 12:27 PM
Small college towns are better than big city campuses?

Scavenger Today at 12:28 PM
paperwork is evil?
If a teacher gives you a test, they're pulling a scam, so you should refuse to take it and send them to the moon!

B5ofTKU.jpg

#11 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16483 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:20 PM

(I keep mixing up Charlotte and Charlottesville, derp.)

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#12 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35696 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:13 AM

masters_of_disguise_by_inuhoshi_to_darkp

https://www.devianta...deviation_stack

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#13 Caldwin

Caldwin

Untouchable

• Supporter
  • 23152 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

Oh...Flim and Flam...snooooooooore!

Just couldn't get into this one. Flim and Flam muscle in on someone else's territory and tries to make them go out of business. Everybody buys into the glitter and our main cast becomes outcasts. Turns out Flim and Flam were cheating everyone and the scam implodes.

Can't help but think I've seen this one before...a few times.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#14 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 35899 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:51 AM

We got to see Rarity with a messy mane though, and that's worth it no matter how many times we see it.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#15 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 7683 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

Saw it. Before they said Last Pegasus, I thought it was Neighsay who'd be the villain.

Flim and Flam are cool to see again BUT they kinda lost steam because their first song was their best song and there's expectations. Everything else after that wasnt as memorable (the tonic ep didn't have a song. Same with the argument ep. What were they arguing about anyway?)

Wait, Twilight wrote a book but it's not available to the general public? Once she said it, I thought it was accepted that it's well known and either sold in stores or in a library. Shouldn't the info be available to everycreature (I hate that use, haha. Everyone!)?

Something I noticed was the university was so dull looking. The backgrounds were so dull. I'd think Flim and Flam would do so much better decorating.

Also I didn't figure the work sheet plan cuz I thought it was 'get everybody to do good stuff for them' like how Rarity waited on Flam's whim in class. Then I thought it was Starswirl who was making the lessons for free but the two were charging for them after.

Could have used more 'pop' like the song song and backgrounds but cool on Detective Rarity and Twilight again. Yeah, the patch only was dumb tho, haha

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users