Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

In case anyone's wondering.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Also, she pronounces her own name "Zuh-see".

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I think I'd read a while back she was born in Berlin

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I thought Zazie Beetz was really fantastic in Deadpool 2. Really looking forward to seeing her in Joker.

@  Liege : (20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM)

Any sightings of Ratchet at U.S. Walgreens yet? A couple of stores around me have recently restocked their toy aisles but no Ratchets yet at those ones.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:54 AM)

You don't even hear a hint of an accent, and she only very rarely chooses some odd wording where she probably wasn't familiar with the more appropriate alternative due to its relative obscurity.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:41 AM)

Just watched what's possibly the most relaxed interview ever of a German Youtuber interviewing Zazie while walking around Berlin. Turns out she was born in Berlin and spent quite some time in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:39 AM)

Actors and actresses I had no idea speak fluent German, part 4.231: Zazie Beetz from Deadpool 2.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

Photo

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - James Gunn is Back!

137 replies to this topic

#121 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knights Final Fantasy!

• Staff
  • 13408 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:36 AM

This a great news! And shows that when you are openly repentent for past words and actions, then you can be seen to be forgiven. Despite being vilified in the court of public opinion.

I have loved both Guardians films, because they have so much Heart to them. They're about a misfit family of misfits, bouncing around the universe, having grand adventures and making mistakes. The break, the reform, they save the galaxy!

fslookup.jpg

#122 Slamdance

Slamdance
  • Protoform
  • 13 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:38 AM

The cynic in me says that Gunn was probably never actually fired and instead made a deal with Disney to lay low for a while to wait out the people who stirred up this whole "controversy" in the first place. It would explain a lot that happened in the aftermath of Gunn's firing, like how there were zero rumors of directors meeting with Disney to take over Guardians 3. 

That, or (going even further down the rabbit hole) Disney didn't want to risk the president weighing in on the merger with Fox because a bunch of his super fans on Twitter got pissy about Gunn's politics. 

Either way, I don't really care. I'm glad he's back. The Guardian movies are fun romps that I've thoroughly enjoyed. 

I really hope he still does Suicide Squad 2, though.

#123 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25268 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:14 PM

Marvel after finding out James Gunn started working for DC: pic.twitter.com/Gt3F2MiBDL— Liam 💥 (@DCMarvelUnite) March 15, 2019

Earth is Kill because Santa.

#124 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10440 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:47 PM

At least James Gunn was able to say he was sorry for things that happened years ago, the past is the past now, to quote a monkey, "you can either run from it, or learn from it" and James learnt from it and said he was sorry, unlike some other people in Hollywood! This is good news for the MCU, hopefully the MCU will not impode after End Game, but things will be tough as they try to establish a new set of heroes to be the Avengers as most of the current actors playing the characters will be leaving after End Game but what the future of the MCU holds is anyone's guess and I suspect it be hard for Disney & Marvel to make the money they are likely to make on End Game with other properties for a while.

You meant 'learned', not 'learnt'. And the word is 'implode'.

Next up in the MCU proper X-Men

I think F4 comes before X-men, they are likely to make references to mutants and that but X-men, I think will likely be appearing late in phase 4 unless they appear in phase 5, they are likely to want to get the story just right and leave a gap of a few years so that we can get Dark Phoenix out of our systems before bring them back in full force!

I suspect that Disney will make an attempt at the Fantastic Four before they try one with the X-Men, if only because the latter's had a successful film franchise. Beyond that, it's pretty much a given that we'll get at least one sequel to the Black Panther and Doctor Strange films in the next phase, and we're likely to see a sequel to Captain Marvel as well. And that's ignoring all the other properties Marvel could make a movie for. 

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#125 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27952 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

You know I'm really happy for Gunn being back but I have to wonder what Mike Cernovich's reaction is gonna be.  Let's find out shall we?

It's exactly what you think it is.

Mike Cernovich urged Media Matters for America to launch a boycott against Disney on Friday after the announcement that the Mouse House had decided to re-hire James Gunn to write and direct “Guardians of the Galaxy 3.”

“Disney’s rehiring of James Gunn presents an excellent opportunity for Angelo Carusone and Media Matters to show they are principled fighters for social justice,” Cernovich told TheWrap. “I eagerly await joining Media Matters’ boycott of ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3.'”

“What James Gunn said is worse than anything Tucker Carlson or anyone else has said. The left doesn’t care and isn’t sincere,” Cernovich tweetedFriday.

As TheWrap previously reported in July 2018, Disney cut ties with Gunn after Cernovich and others uncovered numerous old tweets from the director talking about rape and pedophilia.Reps for Media Matters directed TheWrap to their past reporting on Cernovich’s past remarks. 

The quote from Cernovich is a reference to the liberal watchdog group’s long history of targeting Fox News stars for advertiser boycotts over their on-air remarks and the group’s recent efforts dredging up past embarrassing statements from primetime host Tucker Carlson.

“The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios,said in a statement at the time.

Gunn himself also apologized for the remarks, saying in a statement of his own that he had been joking.

“Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor,” Gunn wrote in a series of tweets. “In the past, I have apologized for humor of mine that hurt people. I truly felt sorry and meant every word of my apologies.”

The tweets from Gunn came mostly from a period between 2008 and 2011.

“Expendables is so manly I f–ed the s–t out of the p—y boy next to me,” he wrote in one.

“The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!'” he wrote in another.

There were many more which have since been deleted.

From the moment they originally dropped Gunn, Disney faced pressure from Hollywood stars — including from the “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise — to reverse the decision.

Dave Bautista, who stars as Drax in the “Guardians” films, decried the decision saying on Twitter that it was “pretty nauseating” being employed for Disney after it bowed to “a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis.”

“It’s a bitter-sweet conversation — um, no it’s a bitter-bitter conversation because I’m not really happy with what they’ve done with James Gunn,” Bautista said on “The Jonathan Ross Show” in August, 2018. “They’re putting the movie off. It’s on hold indefinitely. To be honest with you I don’t know if I want to work for Disney.”

Bautista did not immediately respond to request for comment from TheWrap.

Not gonna lie, I really thought Cernovich would realize he's been beat and just go do something else.  Instead he's just gonna double down, dig his feet into the ground, and hold his breath until he turns blue.

Ironbite-I really feel for the last 3 brain cells he's killing.

xC9l3eY.gif

#126 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8452 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

nah he was never going to drop it. The entire reason they went after Gunn in the first place was try and hug with the people who support cancel culture and Disney rehiring Gunn back was pretty much what was expected and waited for. Not that its going to really do anything.

#127 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knights Final Fantasy!

• Staff
  • 13408 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

Cernovich. What a freaking jackass.

fslookup.jpg

#128 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1248 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

The only humorous thing is him taunting Media Matters, since they both exist for the same things (far opposites aside).

I hate how political crap gets.  Now it is a game of "Got ya!" played by these guys and many on both sides, and no one cares about context or how people/things have changed since whatever the current "gatcha" is.

I'm one that will sit back, see he has apologized, and (so far) have seen nothing of the like since then, so, yeah, he makes great movies, give him a chance.  I would love seeing more of this happen across the board.

I just hope GotG3 keeps up with the great 80's music.  I was hoping Captain Marvel would have had more 90's songs, but given the pacing and context, it worked.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#129 Doin It To Ham

Doin It To Ham

HAMHOLE

• Supporter
  • 4251 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

Hey, someone survived PoundMeToo! There is hope!

#130 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8550 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:00 PM

You meant 'learned', not 'learnt'.

https://en.oxforddic...arnt-vs-learned

#131 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10440 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:42 PM

You meant 'learned', not 'learnt'.

https://en.oxforddic...arnt-vs-learned

Okay, fine, but I was still right about the misspelling.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#132 000

• Citizen
  • 2803 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

Deadline interviewed James Gunn about this whole experience, it's a really good read.

https://deadline.com...ews-1202610248/

#133 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9743 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:42 PM

"confirmed"

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#134 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 8550 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

It's on YouTube so it must be true.

#135 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

Any chance for Silver Surfer and Starjammers?

#136 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 8550 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

It would certainly be interesting if they can intro or at least tease us with Silver Surfer and other such cosmic characters in GOTG before they ever show up in their more traditional settings (e.g. FF and X-Men).

Quite frankly, I want to know why all the Infinity Stones were all concentrated within the Milky Way galaxy and not scattered throughout the hundred billion other galaxies in the observable universe.  The MCU has a scale problem that needs to be addressed if they really want to go cosmic.

Edited by Pale Rider, 15 May 2019 - 09:37 PM.

#137 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 707 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:38 AM

It's the same scale problem that everything has once they go beyond Earth, nobody knows the difference between a solar system, galaxy and universe.

#138 Monocle

Monocle

ASM Contributing Editor

• Citizen
  • 4116 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

Feig has said a number of times in the past that he does want a Silver Surfer film, so it is only a matter of time till we see him I think.  That is where we would also likely meet Galactus.  Speaking of which, I doubt he would be an overarching big bad, but having him around would be a very good thing for the MCU. Kang is a similar example, he would be a great villain for one film, but couldn't carry a big arc.

They got Doom now , he is the best overarching villain they could hope to get.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users