Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

Photo

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - James Gunn is Back!

138 replies to this topic

#121 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The New Year brings New Powers!

• Staff
  • 12758 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:36 AM

This a great news! And shows that when you are openly repentent for past words and actions, then you can be seen to be forgiven. Despite being vilified in the court of public opinion.

I have loved both Guardians films, because they have so much Heart to them. They're about a misfit family of misfits, bouncing around the universe, having grand adventures and making mistakes. The break, the reform, they save the galaxy!

fslookup.jpg

#122 Slamdance

Slamdance
  • Protoform
  • 11 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:38 AM

The cynic in me says that Gunn was probably never actually fired and instead made a deal with Disney to lay low for a while to wait out the people who stirred up this whole "controversy" in the first place. It would explain a lot that happened in the aftermath of Gunn's firing, like how there were zero rumors of directors meeting with Disney to take over Guardians 3. 

That, or (going even further down the rabbit hole) Disney didn't want to risk the president weighing in on the merger with Fox because a bunch of his super fans on Twitter got pissy about Gunn's politics. 

Either way, I don't really care. I'm glad he's back. The Guardian movies are fun romps that I've thoroughly enjoyed. 

I really hope he still does Suicide Squad 2, though.

#123 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25105 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:14 PM

Marvel after finding out James Gunn started working for DC: pic.twitter.com/Gt3F2MiBDL— Liam 💥 (@DCMarvelUnite) March 15, 2019

Earth is Kill because Santa.

#124 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10188 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:47 PM

At least James Gunn was able to say he was sorry for things that happened years ago, the past is the past now, to quote a monkey, "you can either run from it, or learn from it" and James learnt from it and said he was sorry, unlike some other people in Hollywood! This is good news for the MCU, hopefully the MCU will not impode after End Game, but things will be tough as they try to establish a new set of heroes to be the Avengers as most of the current actors playing the characters will be leaving after End Game but what the future of the MCU holds is anyone's guess and I suspect it be hard for Disney & Marvel to make the money they are likely to make on End Game with other properties for a while.

You meant 'learned', not 'learnt'. And the word is 'implode'.

Next up in the MCU proper X-Men

I think F4 comes before X-men, they are likely to make references to mutants and that but X-men, I think will likely be appearing late in phase 4 unless they appear in phase 5, they are likely to want to get the story just right and leave a gap of a few years so that we can get Dark Phoenix out of our systems before bring them back in full force!

I suspect that Disney will make an attempt at the Fantastic Four before they try one with the X-Men, if only because the latter's had a successful film franchise. Beyond that, it's pretty much a given that we'll get at least one sequel to the Black Panther and Doctor Strange films in the next phase, and we're likely to see a sequel to Captain Marvel as well. And that's ignoring all the other properties Marvel could make a movie for. 

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#125 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27555 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

You know I'm really happy for Gunn being back but I have to wonder what Mike Cernovich's reaction is gonna be.  Let's find out shall we?

It's exactly what you think it is.

Mike Cernovich urged Media Matters for America to launch a boycott against Disney on Friday after the announcement that the Mouse House had decided to re-hire James Gunn to write and direct “Guardians of the Galaxy 3.”

“Disney’s rehiring of James Gunn presents an excellent opportunity for Angelo Carusone and Media Matters to show they are principled fighters for social justice,” Cernovich told TheWrap. “I eagerly await joining Media Matters’ boycott of ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3.'”

“What James Gunn said is worse than anything Tucker Carlson or anyone else has said. The left doesn’t care and isn’t sincere,” Cernovich tweetedFriday.

As TheWrap previously reported in July 2018, Disney cut ties with Gunn after Cernovich and others uncovered numerous old tweets from the director talking about rape and pedophilia.Reps for Media Matters directed TheWrap to their past reporting on Cernovich’s past remarks. 

The quote from Cernovich is a reference to the liberal watchdog group’s long history of targeting Fox News stars for advertiser boycotts over their on-air remarks and the group’s recent efforts dredging up past embarrassing statements from primetime host Tucker Carlson.

“The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios,said in a statement at the time.

Gunn himself also apologized for the remarks, saying in a statement of his own that he had been joking.

“Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor,” Gunn wrote in a series of tweets. “In the past, I have apologized for humor of mine that hurt people. I truly felt sorry and meant every word of my apologies.”

The tweets from Gunn came mostly from a period between 2008 and 2011.

“Expendables is so manly I f–ed the s–t out of the p—y boy next to me,” he wrote in one.

“The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!'” he wrote in another.

There were many more which have since been deleted.

From the moment they originally dropped Gunn, Disney faced pressure from Hollywood stars — including from the “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise — to reverse the decision.

Dave Bautista, who stars as Drax in the “Guardians” films, decried the decision saying on Twitter that it was “pretty nauseating” being employed for Disney after it bowed to “a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis.”

“It’s a bitter-sweet conversation — um, no it’s a bitter-bitter conversation because I’m not really happy with what they’ve done with James Gunn,” Bautista said on “The Jonathan Ross Show” in August, 2018. “They’re putting the movie off. It’s on hold indefinitely. To be honest with you I don’t know if I want to work for Disney.”

Bautista did not immediately respond to request for comment from TheWrap.

Not gonna lie, I really thought Cernovich would realize he's been beat and just go do something else.  Instead he's just gonna double down, dig his feet into the ground, and hold his breath until he turns blue.

Ironbite-I really feel for the last 3 brain cells he's killing.

xC9l3eY.gif

#126 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8373 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

nah he was never going to drop it. The entire reason they went after Gunn in the first place was try and hug with the people who support cancel culture and Disney rehiring Gunn back was pretty much what was expected and waited for. Not that its going to really do anything.

#127 Dante

Dante

Handsome like an F-22 fighter jet

• Citizen
  • 13565 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

Meh.  Seems like they only fired him to appease FOX and now that the deal is closed in the last market they feel no obligation to hold up the charade.

#128 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The New Year brings New Powers!

• Staff
  • 12758 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

Cernovich. What a freaking jackass.

fslookup.jpg

#129 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1150 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

The only humorous thing is him taunting Media Matters, since they both exist for the same things (far opposites aside).

I hate how political crap gets.  Now it is a game of "Got ya!" played by these guys and many on both sides, and no one cares about context or how people/things have changed since whatever the current "gatcha" is.

I'm one that will sit back, see he has apologized, and (so far) have seen nothing of the like since then, so, yeah, he makes great movies, give him a chance.  I would love seeing more of this happen across the board.

I just hope GotG3 keeps up with the great 80's music.  I was hoping Captain Marvel would have had more 90's songs, but given the pacing and context, it worked.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#130 Ya Kid K MK VII

Ya Kid K MK VII

Mic check onetwo onetwo

• Supporter
  • 4069 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

Hey, someone survived PoundMeToo! There is hope!

#131 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8430 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:00 PM

You meant 'learned', not 'learnt'.

https://en.oxforddic...arnt-vs-learned

#132 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10188 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:42 PM

You meant 'learned', not 'learnt'.

https://en.oxforddic...arnt-vs-learned

Okay, fine, but I was still right about the misspelling.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#133 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 2803 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

Deadline interviewed James Gunn about this whole experience, it's a really good read.

https://deadline.com...ews-1202610248/

#134 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9335 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:42 PM

"confirmed"

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#135 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 8430 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

It's on YouTube so it must be true.

#136 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

Any chance for Silver Surfer and Starjammers?

#137 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 8430 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

It would certainly be interesting if they can intro or at least tease us with Silver Surfer and other such cosmic characters in GOTG before they ever show up in their more traditional settings (e.g. FF and X-Men).

Quite frankly, I want to know why all the Infinity Stones were all concentrated within the Milky Way galaxy and not scattered throughout the hundred billion other galaxies in the observable universe.  The MCU has a scale problem that needs to be addressed if they really want to go cosmic.

Edited by Pale Rider, 15 May 2019 - 09:37 PM.

#138 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:38 AM

It's the same scale problem that everything has once they go beyond Earth, nobody knows the difference between a solar system, galaxy and universe.

#139 Monocle

Monocle

ASM Contributing Editor

• Citizen
  • 4079 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

Feig has said a number of times in the past that he does want a Silver Surfer film, so it is only a matter of time till we see him I think.  That is where we would also likely meet Galactus.  Speaking of which, I doubt he would be an overarching big bad, but having him around would be a very good thing for the MCU. Kang is a similar example, he would be a great villain for one film, but couldn't carry a big arc.

They got Doom now , he is the best overarching villain they could hope to get.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users