Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 May 2019 - 04:19 PM)

Humor? I 'ardly know 'or!

@  wonko the sane? : (17 May 2019 - 03:51 PM)

I was intemately familiar with humour... but she just wanted to be friends...

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 May 2019 - 12:10 PM)

BZT Time out! Time out! Time ooooooouuuuuut!!!

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 08:23 AM)

Yes. Are you familiar with humor?

@  Sabrblade : (17 May 2019 - 07:50 AM)

You are familiar with The Room, yes?

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 01:14 AM)

nah, tuxedos are formal wear

@  Sabrblade : (16 May 2019 - 10:38 PM)

*...while dressed in a tuxedo*

@  unluckiness : (16 May 2019 - 09:22 PM)

*casually tosses kryptonite island at Lex*

@  Sean Whitmore : (16 May 2019 - 06:21 PM)

O hai Lex.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 04:31 PM)

You're just a little chicken! Cheep cheepcheep cheeEeeeEEEeeeep!

@  Nevermore : (16 May 2019 - 04:20 PM)

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 04:14 PM)

So I guess I shouldn't try to tie in The Room.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 May 2019 - 02:29 PM)

I was just talking cheesy in a dated filmmaking sense, not mind-bogglingly god-awful.

@  Sabrblade : (16 May 2019 - 11:49 AM)

Well, certainly The Last Airbender is worse at being a Superman movie.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Is that better or worse than The Last Airbender? I mean, they're both terrible, but....

@  RichardT1977 : (16 May 2019 - 09:28 AM)

And the worst Superman movie is "Dragonball: Evolution".

@  Paladin : (16 May 2019 - 08:01 AM)

the best Superman movie is "The Iron Giant." You cannot convince me otherwise.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 10:16 PM)

At least even in the first Christopher Reeve movie, when he caught Lois that first time, the background kept scrolling down for a second to indicate it wasn't a sudden stop.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 May 2019 - 10:10 PM)

I guess you had to have been there. I did like the beginning a lot, though; the stuff on Krypton and in Smallville. The movie just got so cheesy once it got to Metropolis, though, it's kind of painful

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 May 2019 - 06:25 PM)

The performances, the cinematography, the significance of a comic book adaptation being treated like a real movie. Silly stuff like that. :)

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 May 2019 - 05:17 PM)

Yeah, I've never really understood what people loved so much about it. Other than the score, of course, which was one of Williams' finest

@  Paladin : (15 May 2019 - 04:06 PM)

and it's not even the dumbest part in that movie.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 May 2019 - 03:16 PM)

Flying Lois around was fine; it was all the Can You Read My Mind nonsense that ruined the scene

@  Sabrblade : (15 May 2019 - 12:08 PM)

The recent Shazam! movie had Billy bumbling his way through learning his powers. But all or most of it was genuinely funny.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 11:27 AM)

But yeah, in retrospect it makes me cringe the way he caught and carried the helicopter in his public debut in the first film...

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 11:25 AM)

(she wasn't in III long enough to be flown around)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 11:25 AM)

You mean the Donner movie, the Donner/Lester movie, and The Quest for Peace (for which I don't know the director)?

@  unluckiness : (15 May 2019 - 11:09 AM)

At least he didn't try to fly lois around like in the Donner movies.

@  Cybersnark : (15 May 2019 - 10:45 AM)

My favourite is still from the first episode of the 90s Superman animated series, where Clark initially tries to catch the falling plane by its tail... which snaps off in his hands because physics doesn't work that way.

@  MEDdMI : (15 May 2019 - 09:46 AM)

I think it'd be boring if a hero could use their powers perfectly right off the bat and not have any unforseen consequences (though I also don't keep up with a lot of superhero stuff, so not familiar with those scenes)

@  Dekafox : (15 May 2019 - 09:23 AM)

Overseas, Kamen Rider Gaim did something similar after Kouta(the main character) got his transformation belt. He tried to do a whole bunch of mundane things with it cause he thought it'd make him better at them and they all go horribly wrong.

@  Paladin : (15 May 2019 - 08:59 AM)

superspeed causes enormous friction on fabric. the 1990 Flash had the same issue and it was mentioned in "The Incredibles" too...

@  fourteenwings : (15 May 2019 - 08:45 AM)

Arrow didn't have one (though Oliver got hurt a lot in flashbacks), Supergirl already had her powers, LoT gang also already had their powers mostly and in Black Lightning discovering your powers seems to be more associated with emotional trauma than anything comedic

@  fourteenwings : (15 May 2019 - 08:43 AM)

In the Arrowverse shows... I guess The Flash accidentally ran so fast he shredded his clothes? (totally not a chance to showcase Grant Gustin's "I'm not Glee kid anymore!" physique)

Photo

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - James Gunn is Back!

138 replies to this topic

#21 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38727 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:41 PM

Front Paged!

https://www.allspark...f-the-galaxy-3/

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#22 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1158 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

6Hr7HXq.jpg

Edited by AgentOrange, 20 July 2018 - 06:59 PM.

LOOKDOWN.png

#23 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2524 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

Rocket's even MORE alone now.

This situation is... strange. On one hand Gunn's tweets were horrible, the kind of jokes you just don't make, and he made a LOT of them. But then there's this issue of losing your job, your source of income, for something you said on the internet decades ago, dredged up by someone looking for trouble. Like, are we all obligated to scour through every comment we've ever made just to make sure they're "correct" (getting a little aways from the actual topic, I'll admit)? That's full on paranoia now. OH GOD I said 'gay' as an insult on a long-defunct messageboard that can still be accessed via the way back machine, what if someone finds out?!

#24 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1158 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

Rocket's even MORE alone now.

This situation is... strange. On one hand Gunn's tweets were horrible, the kind of jokes you just don't make, and he made a LOT of them. But then there's this issue of losing your job, your source of income, for something you said on the internet decades ago, dredged up by someone looking for trouble. Like, are we all obligated to scour through every comment we've ever made just to make sure they're "correct" (getting a little aways from the actual topic, I'll admit)? That's full on paranoia now. OH GOD I said 'gay' as an insult on a long-defunct messageboard that can still be accessed via the way back machine, what if someone finds out?!

It was good enough to get Billy Bush shitcanned and he just laughed along with the comments, didn't make them. Don't recall much of a fuss about that.
LOOKDOWN.png

#25 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27538 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

That's because nobody was seriously thinking Trump was gonna win and well.....here we are.

Ironbite-but that's off topic so...

xC9l3eY.gif

#26 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32651 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:34 PM

Gunn apologized for this shit way back in 2012. But hey, what good is an apology when society starts to decide that hypocrisy is a virtue, and forgiveness is for suckers?

“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#27 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6065 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:42 PM

The Alt-righters have to be grinning and patting themselves on the back.  Of course if Twitter suddenly goes belly up or just outs bans them, that's karma for ya.

Ironbite-be interesting to see who they get to direct Vol.3.

#28 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10176 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:06 PM

For the record? What Gunn tweeted was rude and crude and stupid. Do I think that someone should be judged for doing something rude and crude a couple decades previous? No, not really - there's plenty of stupid stuff I did a couple decades previous, and I feel like I'm still getting judged for it. Do I think that Disney should have dropped him from the third GotG film? Not sure, but I'm not surprised that it happened.

As for this Alt-Right guy? Frag him.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#29 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

May Mayhem

• Supporter
  • 61153 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:03 PM

the scary thing is we've all been saying things like "I'm not sure if I ..." 

and we should be sure ... what happened here wasn't right. 

"Does the Boss look different to you?" "She Looks Hot." "So that's a no then?"

#30 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10578 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:34 PM

Disappointing that Disney would have such a knee-jerk reaction over decade-old tweets, but with any luck Taika Waititi can take over GotG given how perfectly Thor Ragnorok matches its tone.

This really is a shitty era in which we live.

#31 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16817 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:04 PM

What will be worse in the long run. The outrage over what he said, the outrage he got fired for it a decade later or people's indifference to it happening?

I...don't know how the world works anymore and I was already grasping at logic.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#32 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10176 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:37 PM

The indifference. That's the worst thing.

Seriously, we live in an age where hypocrisy has gone rampant and unfought. People need to call it what it is, stand up, and fight it. Or at least acknowledge it.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#33 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8208 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:45 PM

Gunn was fired? More like out Gunned... this is really bad :(

What does his brother say? The model for Rocket?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#34 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10578 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:07 AM

It's truly just a world of extremists these days, and there's no room for anyone with a rational, measured opinion. It's just one of the many reasons why I take so few stances on anything in the world, anymore; no matter what you say you're somebody's mortal enemy.

I hope GotG V3 is still a success, but what a crappy way for Gunn to go out. Doubt he'll work again for a good, long while.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 21 July 2018 - 01:09 AM.

#35 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:13 AM

Me: "I have some time to kill. I wonder what's happening on Twitter?"

*two hours later*

"Did... Did I just see James Gunn's career disintegrate in real time?" 

:doh

Yeah - I was on Twitter this morning when the brunt of it was still happening. I think by 10 AM local it was hot enough to make the "trending" list. 

It's kinda surreal, actually. Still a bit hard to process, but so are the tweets themselves. 

#36 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6820 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:09 AM

I will have more to say but for right now all I will say is this..@JamesGunn is one of the most loving,caring,good natured people I have ever met. Hes gentle and kind and cares deeply for people and animals. Hes made mistakes. We all have. Im NOT ok with whats happening to him Dave Bautista (@DaveBautista) July 21, 2018

I don't know what the statute of limitations is on Really Stupid Jokes. I feel like this is rough though. Hard to imagine what those two movies would have been like without him - it seems likely that Disney GOTG's success largely to Gunn. I probably wouldn't HIRE someone if I'd seen those tweets, but when he's already done years of excellent and successful work and his colleagues will vouch for him... would I instantly sack him? Shrug. I wonder what the rest of the cast will say, and whether they have any sway.

Edited by Maruten, 21 July 2018 - 02:15 AM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#37 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51631 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:48 AM

Disney firing a guy over some incredibly offensive jokes from a decade ago that he ALREADY apologized for but still cast and pay millions of dollars to Johnny Depp is pretty much the height of hypocrisy.

card-strongarm.jpg

#38 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The New Year brings New Powers!

• Staff
  • 12738 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:29 AM

This. So much this.

Had Gunn never apologised for making such bad taste jokes, my opinion would be different. He did though, fully. Pointing out, like many of us have said about ourselves, we were different people years ago. To see him vilified for some stupid and pureile stuff this guy went digging for just so he could get offended and do the social media equivalent of going "Aha! This guy is an unrepentant sicko! Lynch him!" is just sad.

To see Disney cave to the blatant hypocrisy is depressing..

Edited by GodSentinelOmega, 21 July 2018 - 09:46 AM.

fslookup.jpg

#39 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32651 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:14 AM

Disney firing a guy over some incredibly offensive jokes from a decade ago that he ALREADY apologized for but still cast and pay millions of dollars to Johnny Depp is pretty much the height of hypocrisy.

That one hadn't even occurred to me yet, but you're absolutely right.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#40 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22296 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:38 AM

Dude, just look at RDJ in the 90's.

I MEAN

hug Twitter. The blue checkmarks should NOT make the decisions with their mob mentality. There needs to be a campaign. Why not have the entire cast of GotG walk out of the MCU if they don't rehire Gunn?

Hell, everyone should stand behind him.

Also, do yourself a favor. If you've got Twitter? Go use a mass deleter. I've found one that purges everything until the last three months. That should work nicely.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 21 July 2018 - 06:39 AM.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users