Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  fourteenwings : (26 April 2019 - 12:11 AM)

After "Secret Wars", Marvel's comic sales dropped for most of their series but it wasn't bad enough to be worried about. I think. What homages, exactly?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (25 April 2019 - 09:31 PM)

Kamen Rider Specter Tutankhamun Soul was definitely a thing.

@  B-Fox : (25 April 2019 - 09:30 PM)

How popular is Marvel's current comics? Because the homages to it got very anemic audience reactions.

@  The Doctor Who : (25 April 2019 - 07:47 PM)

An Egyptian themed version of a popular Japanese TV show: Tutankhamun Rider

@  MEDdMI : (25 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

combine the two options. Grayffles or Waffson

@  Paladin : (25 April 2019 - 05:43 PM)

split the difference- "Ryan" after the Titanium Ranger.

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:10 PM)

The second name choice is "Waffles", named after Goofy's gray tabby cat from Goof Troop. It's a cuter name than "Grayson" and the kitten is definitely adorable, but his colors aren't as close a match to the namesake as one of his sibling's colors are (said sibling is already spoken for, so I can't name that one).

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:07 PM)

The first name choice is "Grayson", because he's gray and a son, and I think the name sounds cool. It also makes me think of Carter Grayson, the Red Ranger from Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue, who was a born leader and one of the coolest Red Rangers.

@  Paladin : (25 April 2019 - 05:07 PM)

"Lamont."

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:06 PM)

I need help deciding on a name for one of the kittens. He's an all-gray cat but is also showing early signs of growing some black stripes in his fur. There are two names I've thought of for him and can't decide which one I like more.

@  Telly : (25 April 2019 - 01:31 PM)

got the second part of first gundam, popped it in and wow! picture miles better than my old dvds. other than the archaic animation (which i dont mind), it looks like it was done recently

@  Xellos : (25 April 2019 - 07:49 AM)

Aye, or at least the movies for Zeta, as they supposedly negate ZZ, kinda like how the Code Geass clip movies retcon some events before the newest one.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:05 PM)

i wish theyd dub double zeta. thats the only one im missing for the "amuro vs char" thing (and chars not even in it so...). but given some of the things ive heard about it, its probly best that they dont dub it

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:02 PM)

and im on vacation next week so ill have lots of time to watch all this lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:01 PM)

@zaku ive got war in the pocket on standard dvd already. amazon didnt have it on blu ray. bonus points to it for having character designs by haruhiku mikimoto. and this collecction is only "new" in as much as its new to me on blu ray. ive had burnt dvd copies of it all for years

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 09:44 PM)

Yeah, 00 was pretty good, and I recently watched Build Divers, and found it really fun. Got both limited editions of IBO... still need to watch them...

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:30 PM)

00 is also pretty good, basically a refined version of the Wing concept, and IBO is great.

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:29 PM)

I'll be the requisite "Build Fighters is actually pretty good" chime in

@  MEDdMI : (24 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

G Gundam was the best. Horse mecha! Piloted by.... a HORSE!

@  ZakuConvoy : (24 April 2019 - 07:31 PM)

I'd probably recommend tracking down 0080 War in the Pocket to go along with your new collection, but you might have enough to watch for right now.

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

G Gundam will likely always rank first for me, as it is the one I find the most fun, but 8th MS was great for being the most "realistic" of the UC stuff.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:17 PM)

the only other gundam series ive watched-which was also the FIRST gundam series i watched-is wing (and ill probly get that on blu ray soon too). i know i havent watched everything tied to it, but the UC is quite enough for me lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:14 PM)

i think 8th team is my favorite, but cant say why. maybe it has something to do with them not being newtypes. i dont particularly like that concept

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:11 PM)

8th M Team, 0083, and Zeta are my favorites of the original timeline. Have yet to watch Origin, but it is loooow on my list, as I never particularly liked Char. Quattro Bajeena was actually kinda cool, though.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 05:49 PM)

so i just did something insane. i bought gundam origin, first gundam, 08th ms team, operation stardust, zeta gundam AND chars counterattack on bluray...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Hollywood stereotypes, eh? Don't get me started on how sheerly unrealistic that can be, and how badly Hollywood loves to stick to them.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:44 PM)

Also, fun fact: To me, Dutch is the language that sounds harsh compared to German.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:37 PM)

Generally, nobody shouts at each other in Germany unless they're either a) morons or b) doing it for comedic effect.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:36 PM)

... based on an outdated way of speaking (I mean, does anyone in the US still speak like Joe Friday?)... which might also have been at least partially a regional thing.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Generally, many native English speakers' primary conception of the German language and its perceived harshness comes from Hollywood movies... created by non-native German speakers, with non-native German actors giving their impression of what they think the German language sounds like...

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:33 PM)

I might be severely biased, but as a native German speaker, I think the perception of the "harsh German language" is at least in part due to a myth created by Hollywood.

@  Pinkcolliebot : (24 April 2019 - 05:32 PM)

I wish I knew if that Blue autobot in the background in the movie Bumblebee was Blurr.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Blood is blue before coming into contact with air from outside.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 April 2019 - 09:50 AM)

I had to use a whole ten percent of my brain to understand that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 April 2019 - 08:32 AM)

I think I saw a debunking of that like at least a decade ago when I still relied on TV for things.

@  Paladin : (24 April 2019 - 08:21 AM)

isn't the whole "lemmings jump to their death" thing proven false now too???

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2019 - 03:05 AM)

It's like how the whole "alpha male" thing doesn't really show up in wolf packs in the wild.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 01:54 AM)

Aaaaand another myth busted.

@  CORVUS : (24 April 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Quite welcome! :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 09:51 PM)

@Corvus Huh, did not know that part. Thanks for imparting knowledge!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 09:27 PM)

No because it's true.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 April 2019 - 09:17 PM)

Would I be jaded if i said that's a good lesson about people as well?

@  CORVUS : (23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM)

Overstated risk. Most observations of sexual cannibalism in the Praying Mantis occurred in captivity, versus nature. When entomologists began observing them in nature instead, they found that sexual cannibalism took place around 30% of the time. Basically, if a male Mantis avoids thin, hungry females, his chances are pretty good. #yesimanerd

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

Are you a male mantis?

@  MEDdMI : (23 April 2019 - 07:27 PM)

Death by snu snu

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 06:40 PM)

There's a joke about going out with a bang to be made here.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 06:38 PM)

I would hope getting laid is preferred over dying :p

@  Nevermore : (23 April 2019 - 05:20 PM)

Don't we all want to get laid?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 04:53 PM)

I'd spend the first few loops just taking an extended nap.

@  Dekafox : (23 April 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Endless death time loops certainly happen enough in Star Trek

Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars General Discussion - What will the future of the franchise look like?

383 replies to this topic

#21 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16845 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

Force Awakens was awesome.

Rogue One was good.

Last Jedi was pretty close to the best Star Wars film ever.

Solo was lots of fun.

Star Wars is fine.

-ZacWilliam, and will likely continue to be so.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#22 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34978 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

Well, it was Kennedy's distaste for what Miller and Lord were doing that led to Solo ending up as the most expensive Star Wars film ever, so... IF true, I don't think she's necessarily the WORST person to blame.
But then I don't like Kennedy much anyway because she's supposedly responsible for Nothing But White Female Leads.

does that come from any legitimate source or is it just speculation based on her appearance? Because I've only seen that in the context that people are constantly accusing her of trying to self insert herself.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#23 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2476 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

Star Wars is fine.

c4jt321.png

#24 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28134 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:46 AM

Force Awakens was awesome.

Rogue One was good.

Last Jedi was pretty close to the best Star Wars film ever.

Solo was lots of fun.

Star Wars is fine.

-ZacWilliam, and will likely continue to be so.

Zac, you do know other people have different opinions, right?

Because sometimes I'm really not sure.

#25 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22234 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:07 AM

I think it's a bit too early to panic or cry victory or whatever, but don't let me harsh your buzz.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#26 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28134 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:13 AM

Claim victory on what?

For my part the Disney era has been a lot of meh. Be it the movies or Rebels none of it has really spoken to me and that's not for lack of trying. I gave TFA, RO and TLJ generally positive reviews.

At the same time I know there are people who adore the Disney era and they're not wrong to do so. Variety is what makes life worth living.

I do however chafe at sweeping gushing or negative comments where someone acts like their personal opinion is the deciding one.

#27 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16654 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

It is overly generous to even call it a "rumor" that Disney could possibly be considering firing Kathleen Kennedy, or that Disney, one of the most powerful brands in the world with name recognition higher than "water", would ever value fanboy sniveling more than $1.3 billion.

Solo is the first SW film to underperform. That is the only thing Disney could possibly be concerned about, assuming they even are. The complaints about TLJ do not exist in their world. They barely exist at all.

Edited by Thylacine 2000, 21 July 2018 - 03:41 PM.

#28 chiasaur11

chiasaur11
  • Citizen
  • 3041 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:15 AM

It is overly generous to even call it a "rumor" that Disney could possibly be considering firing Kathleen Kennedy, or that Disney, one of the most powerful brands in the world with name recognition higher than "water", would ever value fanboy sniveling more than $1.3 billion.

Solo is the first SW film to underperform. That is the only thing Disney could possibly be concerned about, assuming they even are. The complaints about TLJ do not exist in their world. They barely exist at all.

No. Solo is the first Star Wars movie to lose money in its theatrical run.

The Last Jedi was the first Star Wars to underperform. (Well, the first Disney Star Wars. I'd have to refresh my memory on the box office for the prequels to be sure on them.)

Underperforming isn't flopping, after all. It just means the studio was working under the assumption they'd wind up with dollar value X when all's said and done, but they got less than X instead. And the Last Jedi wound up taking in a lot less money than early estimates suggested, primarily due to weak legs.

Beyond that, though, Disney didn't just buy Star Wars for movies, and the non-movie merch has been taking some pretty big hits too. 

I'm not saying the rumors Kennedy's out are anything beyond fanboy wishful thinking right now, but the ship is not sailing well. Production on every film except the Last Jedi was a mess, and they've fired about as many directors as have finished films. 

Disney likes making money. Disney dislikes losing money. I don't know what they're doing, exactly, but there's no way there weren't a lot of numbers crunched and a lot of data gathered to try to figure out why Star Wars went from invincible to less successful than Ant Man.

#29 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34978 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:16 AM

The Last Jedi was the first Star Wars to underperform. (Well, the first Disney Star Wars. I'd have to refresh my memory on the box office for the prequels to be sure on them.)

Citation needed.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#30 Shrug

Shrug

scoot scoot

• Citizen
  • 1059 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

And one thing to consider is that in corporate America making less money is only slightly better than not making money.  What's better than 1.3 billion?  1.4 billion.

Not that I think rumors of anyone getting the ax have any truth to them, it's just odd to see someone claim it can't be true because Disney is happy with making some money instead of all of the money.  This isn't your Aunt Beru and her garage sale, it's a bunch of suits who live to profit.

#31 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3076 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:09 AM

They should go back to doing a movie every three years and go back to putting out books and comics.  Let the franchise lie fallow for awhile.

#32 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1152 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

They should go back to doing a movie every three years and go back to putting out books and comics.  Let the franchise lie fallow for awhile.

"Go back" to putting out books and comics?
LOOKDOWN.png

#33 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2476 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:46 AM

I mean, they JUST announced a whole lot of new books and comics the other day.

kGIz2AA.jpg

Han meets Hondo!

2RJseMq.jpg

Vader tells scary stories about demon Ewoks!

tFl6DS7.jpg

Lando... stumbles into Dune?

#34 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11037 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

"If you're looking for Tatooine, it's thataway."

#35 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3076 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

I mean, they JUST announced a whole lot of new books and comics the other day.

kGIz2AA.jpg

Han meets Hondo!

2RJseMq.jpg

Vader tells scary stories about demon Ewoks!

tFl6DS7.jpg

I figured Vader would tell scary stories about sand.

#36 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11037 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

I mean, I can imagine Kylo Ren getting beaten up by Ewoks when he goes to recover Vader's helmet. . .

#37 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7765 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

Id love to see that one
When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#38 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28134 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

*sniffle* "Hux, b-bring me my shuttle..."
"I will remind you that I am not your errand boy, Ren. And-...are you crying?"
*longer sniffle"N-no. It must be..be a bad line."
"You ARE crying! Aw, what's wrong? The ickle teddy bears too much for the Knight of Ren?"
"I SAID I'M NOT!"

#39 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34978 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:13 PM

*sniffle* "Hux, b-bring me my shuttle..."
"I will remind you that I am not your errand boy, Ren. And-...are you crying?"
*longer sniffle"N-no. It must be..be a bad line."
"You ARE crying! Aw, what's wrong? The ickle teddy bears too much for the Knight of Ren?"
"I SAID I'M NOT!"

Ren sounds more like Hux here, to be honest.

#40 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6037 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:23 PM

Indeed. Just based off the box office takes for the Post-Disney films, they've nearly doubled their investment. The four Disney era films combined cost about a billion to make. The international take home for those four films is around 4 billion. Heck, Solo was a $100 million success. That's not even bothering to look at merchandise speculations.

So I really don't understand the idea that Star Wars is somehow failing under Kennedy.

Every article I have seen on the internet says that the movie under-performance cost Disney $50 million. I see no mention of it making $100 Million. It reportedly cost Disney $250 million to make the film and it only made $212 Domestically. Internationally it made another $173, but international markets take a lot larger cut of the films than the domestic markets. Once the film hits home media, I am sure that Disney will get its money back but so far the film did take a loss theatrically.

Even if it did make that, you don't spend $4 billion buying a franchise so you can release films that profit $100 million. No one's expecting the side films to make as much as the main ones, but it's still a tentpole release that they expect to rake in gobs of cash cause it's Star Wars. $100 million profit on Star Wars is a failure any way you slice it. Rogue One did over a billion worldwide and what will this one make? $400 mil? Maybe $500 mil? R1 did more than that in NA alone.

I haven't seen Solo, but from the trailer it looked bland starring the blandiest bland guy as Solo. There's no substitute for Harrison Ford. What they should've done is just gone with a Lando movie. Free rein on the backstory, no offense to Billy Dee Williams but those ain't exactly big shoes to fill, and just based on only seeing him in one SNL skit Donald Glover actually seemed to be brimming with talent and charisma.

But maybe when I get around to seeing it I'll eat a plate full of crow and blame poor marketing.

Edited by Teufel, 22 July 2018 - 09:32 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users