Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

@  Gryllid : (19 July 2019 - 12:39 PM)

There is. It's called "SDCC 2019 thread"

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:24 PM)

no general SDCC thread?

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:08 PM)

I never even bothered to see it.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2019 - 10:30 AM)

O never hated it, the whole thing was an Indiana Jones movie. I didn't care for the CGI, but that's just nature of the beast.

@  Paladin : (19 July 2019 - 07:58 AM)

sidebar- has enough time passed that we can stop irrationally hating "Crystal Skull" yet?

@  Telly : (18 July 2019 - 09:18 PM)

after 38 years and i dont know how many viewings, today is the first time i noticed indiana jones doesnt use a revolver in the bar fight in raiders...

@  Kalidor : (18 July 2019 - 05:33 PM)

@Sabrblade Depends on when you're here. I used to have the backups happen once daily, now I have them happen once per hour so you might often see a hesitation at the top of every hour for 30-45 seconds.

@  Locoman : (18 July 2019 - 05:11 PM)

isn't that just Modern Family

@  Foffy : (18 July 2019 - 04:45 PM)

that's right. my gym teacher is a clown. new series coming to disney channel next fall

@  Foffy : (18 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

all these clowns are making me run really fast.

@  Sabrblade : (18 July 2019 - 12:10 PM)

All this awesome SDCC news is really making these boards run slowly.

@  Bass X0 : (18 July 2019 - 07:54 AM)

Racism must be stopped. No matter the cost.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2019 - 07:49 AM)

Tine to stop buttering it up.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 July 2019 - 09:43 PM)

Well shucks.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 July 2019 - 08:14 PM)

The joke is a husk of its former self.

@  Paladin : (17 July 2019 - 01:15 PM)

Pop.

@  Shrug : (17 July 2019 - 10:15 AM)

Something something... corn bread?

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2019 - 07:21 AM)

Ok, ok. Enough of the puns and let's all thank Kal for the amaizeing job he did.

@  Paladin : (17 July 2019 - 06:24 AM)

by now I think this jokes' been creamed.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2019 - 03:31 AM)

The kernel.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2019 - 03:31 AM)

Who gives the orders in cybernetic warfare?

@  unluckiness : (16 July 2019 - 09:59 PM)

Zea mays

@  Xellos : (16 July 2019 - 09:53 PM)

Isn't that a kernel of truth.

@  Paladin : (16 July 2019 - 08:43 PM)

huh. suddenly the Squawk is popping.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Not placing much stalk in this conversation.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2019 - 06:22 PM)

That's so corny.

@  Shrug : (16 July 2019 - 06:07 PM)

It's absurd how happy I am that a post of mine made the front page of Reddit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Aww, shucks.

@  TriBlurr : (16 July 2019 - 05:45 PM)

Not till I taste the corn

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 05:43 PM)

You guys aren't being very nice. You're supposed to tell me I did "good, really good!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 05:40 PM)

Just don't go beyond the rows.

@  Patch : (16 July 2019 - 05:39 PM)

Left over from the failed Beast Machines sequel, Beast Farmers

@  Patch : (16 July 2019 - 05:39 PM)

It's techno-organic corn

@  TriBlurr : (16 July 2019 - 05:26 PM)

We have a cornfield? Can I get a few ears?

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 12:56 PM)

And lastly, if it becomes too much hassle to deal with - it might just get sent into the cornfield and replaced with a Discord box anyway. So cool it.

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 12:55 PM)

Second thing is we do actually have the ability to ban users specifically from using Shoutbox if it's being abused like that

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 12:55 PM)

Hey all - just a reminder and heads up. The Shoutbox has been kept here as a courtesy because it's what you folks like in lieu of Discord - but a few things to remember is that P&R should stay in P&R and isn't really something that needs to be dragged out here in the most public of spaces.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Done.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars General Discussion - What will the future of the franchise look like?

506 replies to this topic

#261 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16735 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:55 PM

Can we please not? It's in bad taste.

....how?

The sequels are entirely believable precisely because there is no "happily ever after." In 30 years the loving couple gets divorced, an idealistic boy turns disillusioned and regretful in middle age, and Neo-Nazis get mainstreamed. That's not "shitting" on a story, it's what happens in stories.

Was I the only person who was not won over by 378 novels about Han winking at Leia? 16 new, ever-more-powerful alien invasion apocalypses when nothing ever fundamentally changed?

#262 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2613 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:23 PM

Grim nihilism just isn't something I look forward to in Star Wars.

#263 chiasaur11

chiasaur11
  • Citizen
  • 3046 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:05 AM

....how?

The sequels are entirely believable precisely because there is no "happily ever after." In 30 years the loving couple gets divorced, an idealistic boy turns disillusioned and regretful in middle age, and Neo-Nazis get mainstreamed. That's not "shitting" on a story, it's what happens in stories.

Was I the only person who was not won over by 378 novels about Han winking at Leia? 16 new, ever-more-powerful alien invasion apocalypses when nothing ever fundamentally changed?

Yes, because when I think realistic, I think a galactic power folding in a wet weekend because someone decided to put their entire military in one solar system, totalitarian governments just shrugging when their contractors sell weapons to their one opponent, military leadership refusing to tell anyone the plan to the point where their most decorated officer launches a mutiny unopposed, and magic laser swords.

You'll notice Last Jedi defenses tend to pivot on a dime from "It's fantasy! It doesn't have to make sense!" when people challenge the logic to "It's realistic!" when people say it's a depressing slog. 

It's just a bad movie, and the comparisons to reality, even aside from questions of their accuracy and tastefulness, fail to keep with Twain's observation. "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." 

#264 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28381 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:08 AM

....how?

There is absolutely WWII allegory in Star Wars, to the point that dog fights from the war were used as stand in footage for Battle of Yavin.

However WWII is a real world conflict where millions died...and Star Wars is a work of fiction about magic space wizards. We don't lay wreaths for the Bothans on remembrance day.

Star Wars is escapist space fantasy. I don't think it's at all wrong to be annoyed when the central arc of the story gets crapped on and I'm not sure how "Shit things happen in real life" excuses it. To me it's as dumb as people who complain Imperial ranks don't mesh with real world military ranks. Star Wars is a fairy tale in a sci fi setting. If I wanted a depressing continuation of it, the Bantam and Del Rey books exist. And those at least handled the passing of the torch mostly better.

#265 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16735 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

There's another sci-fi series I very much got into last year that features a 30-year time skip in which every single thing stayed the same. Same dynamics, same relationships, nobody moved on with their lives, just time for a new wacky space adventure but now the bad guys have had 30 years to prepare an extra-strong weapon.

Not sure I should name it since it's still ongoing, but... It wasn't believable at all. It's the least believable thing in the whole saga.

#266 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17079 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:03 AM

If you don't want the Star Wars universe to work in any way like a real universe... in that time passes over 30 years, both good and bad things happen to people in their lives, new threats rise to allow new heroism, characters age and change and grow and sometimes fail and are hurt but keep going and moving and living... well that's your choice, but it sounds awful to me and I like the living, surprising, moving, meaningful Star Wars universe we've gotten a LOT more.

-ZacWilliam, what your asking for sounds like an inert boring narratively dead "Happily Ever After" in which case no new movie need have been made, where instead we've gotten more wonderful, expanding, living Star Wars.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 26 February 2019 - 04:32 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#267 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2613 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:32 AM

There's another sci-fi series I very much got into last year that features a 30-year time skip in which every single thing stayed the same. Same dynamics, same relationships, nobody moved on with their lives, just time for a new wacky space adventure but now the bad guys have had 30 years to prepare an extra-strong weapon.
Not sure I should name it since it's still ongoing, but... It wasn't believable at all. It's the least believable thing in the whole saga.

Wait are you takling about Star Wars? Because that sounds like the the ST...

#268 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28381 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:27 PM

If you don't want the Star Wars universe to work in any way like a real universe in that time passes over 30 years, both good and bad things both happen to people in their lives, new threats rise to allow new heroism, characters age and change and grow and sometimes fail and are hurt but keep going and moving and living... well that's your choice, but it sounds awful to me and I like the living, surprising, moving, meaningful Star Wars universe we've gotten a LOT more.

-ZacWilliam, what your asking for sounds like an inert boring narratively dead "Happily Ever After" in which case no new movie need have been made, where instead we've gotten more wonderful, expanding, living Star Wars.

So because I don't care for how Disney handled things I want the sequels to be frozen in time? Way to leap there.

Also, as for this notion that a happy ending is out of place- go and watch the end of ROTJ. Anakin is absolved and put to rest. The Empire is defeated and the heroes gather in celebration, watched over by the fallen Jedi whose conflict they resolved. It's an ending with closure and textbook happy ending.

#269 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8544 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

Regarding the current discussion in this thread, this is a good read:

From “A New Hope” to no hope at all: “Star Wars,” Tolkien and the sinister and depressing reality of expanded universes

#270 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17079 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:11 PM

If you don't want the Star Wars universe to work in any way like a real universe in that time passes over 30 years, both good and bad things both happen to people in their lives, new threats rise to allow new heroism, characters age and change and grow and sometimes fail and are hurt but keep going and moving and living... well that's your choice, but it sounds awful to me and I like the living, surprising, moving, meaningful Star Wars universe we've gotten a LOT more.

So because I don't care for how Disney handled things I want the sequels to be frozen in time? Way to leap there.

Also, as for this notion that a happy ending is out of place- go and watch the end of ROTJ. Anakin is absolved and put to rest. The Empire is defeated and the heroes gather in celebration, watched over by the fallen Jedi whose conflict they resolved. It's an ending with closure and textbook happy ending.

That's what you asked for in your earlier tweets. Shrug.

The end of Jedi is ONLY a "happy ending" if you let the story y'know END there. If you want to continue the story in any meaningful way it isn't, can't be and shouldn't be. It's been said that happy endings are easy to find, you just have to find the right spot to put the book down, walk away and do something else.

If you don't, if you continue the story for another 30+ years then no you can't just have that forever because that is neither life nor story. And certainly not a meaningful version of either.

-ZacWilliam, Star Wars is adventure and fun and heroism danger and myth and those things need bad things to happen, need new villains and new threats to arrive and challenge and damage the old characters, so there is new struggle, new heroism, and, yes New Hope, as they pass the torch to the next generation.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 26 February 2019 - 04:13 PM.

#271 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5136 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:18 PM

Grim nihilism just isn't something I look forward to in Star Wars.

Exactly.  The entire story involving our original heroes is that nothing they ever did mattered, they had shitty lives, and then they died.  Thanks, Disney.  I can forgive a LOT--hell, I still watch Discovery--but I can't forgive throwing Han, Luke and Leia under the bus like that.  I would much rather they have just let story of the original trilogy characters stand as of ROTJ and instead they resume the struggle some 500 ABY.  

#272 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17079 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:26 PM

If that is how you value their beating the Empire, saving countless lives and buying the galaxy 30 years of peace and themselves 30 years of life, good and bad, life simply because new troubles then arose and challenged them and they heroically stood up and fought those again and inspired others to do so, then I honestly feel sorry for you.

(And, Rogue One aside, if you see "Grim nihilism" in these mostly joyously fun, frequently very funny space adventure movies I think you maybe kinda tone deaf and blind)

-ZacWilliam, anyway that's all a depressing way to veiw the fact that time passes and life happens and heroes keep going and keep being heroes.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 26 February 2019 - 04:30 PM.

#273 chiasaur11

chiasaur11
  • Citizen
  • 3046 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:05 PM

If that is how you value their beating the Empire, saving countless lives and buying the galaxy 30 years of peace and themselves 30 years of life, good and bad, life simply because new troubles then arose and challenged them and they heroically stood up and fought those again and inspired others to do so, then I honestly feel sorry for you.

(And, Rogue One aside, if you see "Grim nihilism" in these mostly joyously fun, frequently very funny space adventure movies I think you maybe kinda tone deaf and blind)

-ZacWilliam, anyway that's all a depressing way to veiw the fact that time passes and life happens and heroes keep going and keep being heroes.

Beating the Empire means a whole lot less when the First Order takes over after. It's a very "The Man with an Unclean Spirit" end to the whole affair, you know? Or, in Lewis's words, what good does it do to cast out Mammon when Moloch takes his place?

With the state of the galaxy even before the First Order's victory, it's hard to feel like the thirty years were good ones, with expanded universe material making it worse.

The Force Awakens was a rollicking adventure that had some unfortunate connotations if you actually thought about it, but the Last Jedi is a death march with (bad) jokes. Slavery is unstoppable, good and evil are merely relative, the heroes are almost entirely wiped out, the villains refuse redemption, Luke abandons his ideals, accomplishes nothing, and dies from Force Skyping too hard. 

Worse, the film sets in stone the idea of the battle between dark and light as eternal, the Force forever driving a cycle of pain to the point one is tempted to simply say Kreia was right and be done with it.

#274 WLG3

WLG3
  • Citizen
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:22 PM

"Abondons his ideals, accomplishes nothing, and dies from force Skyping" sure is a weird way of looking at him saving everyone he cares about, keeping hope alive, and sacrificing himself heroically - yet peacefully! - in order to do so.

#275 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9004 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

Ummmm okay. So Good beats evil. Everyone stays happy forever without effort to keep any other evil from rising to take its place. Sorry not buying it. Even before Disney the EU made it clear the struggle for the galaxy would continue for years. I'll admit Disney's version doesn't look to allow Han, Luke and Leia much happiness at all. It sucks especially knowing what had been replaced in it's wake but even then it's not like they ever had much of a respite between threats in the galaxy.

#276 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2613 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:45 PM

Good beats evil. New evil arises, but good still gets to actually enjoy their victory while also facing off against new evil. It isn't all just taken away offscreen before the sequel even begins.

I mean, Aliens 3 did exactly that and nobody likes that one...

#277 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16735 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:30 AM

Wait are you takling about Star Wars? Because that sounds like the the ST...

....wait, so how quickly did you go from "the ST ruined everything by changing too much" to "the ST didn't change anything at all" just for the sake of a dumb zinger?

#278 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17079 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:39 AM

There was 30 years between RotJ and FA. They had plenty of time for life and happiness. That's not nothing.

Nor was it "all" taken away before the Sequels start. We do begin with the new evil already on the rise and the old heroes scattered dealing with it as best they can but that's so we can jump right into the action with the new heroes/generation.

-ZacWilliam, like how Star Wars began with the Empire in power and Luke and co getting right into action and learning from the old generation (OB, Yoda) as they go. Cause that good fantasy adventure movie narrative structure. Heck that's textbook Joseph Cambell

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 27 February 2019 - 07:41 AM.

#279 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22273 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

Campbell's "journey" model doesn't specify whether or not the bad guys are in power at the start.

It doesn't even specify whether anyone is good or evil.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 27 February 2019 - 10:04 AM.

#280 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1597 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:58 AM

Maybe I'm poorly remembering my early EU, but it wasn't exactly a "and the heroes lived happily ever after" story either.  They got, what, 5 years before Thrawn showed up? Then Luke starts the Academy on Yavin IV, has a student decide to murder a bunch of people, and then gets stuck in a weird force coma with Exar Kun.  That's not including stuff I've forgotten or the arrival of the Vong which murderized a good chunk of the galaxy (I think - I had dropped out by then). 

It wasn't exactly a happy universe.

It also didn't give us Luke Force-Haunting his Nephew, which better be a thing, Disney. It better

I mean, Aliens 3 did exactly that and nobody likes that one...

*Raises Hand*

~Marduk

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users