Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Cybersnark : (09 December 2018 - 09:36 PM)

But The Pillows prefer to kill you with Poison Rock'N'Roll

@  Rodimus Supreme : (09 December 2018 - 10:23 AM)

Pillows can kill you softly.

@  Pennpenn : (09 December 2018 - 07:26 AM)

His song.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (09 December 2018 - 05:34 AM)

But is anything killing you softly?

@  Pennpenn : (09 December 2018 - 03:03 AM)

Oh don't be ridiculous. Some things are killing us quickly!

@  Rodimus Supreme : (08 December 2018 - 10:46 PM)

Isn't everything just killing us all slowly?...

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2018 - 09:23 PM)

Except the planet of junk actually fosters life, as opposed to the garbage patch which is just killing us all slowly.

@  RichardT1977 : (08 December 2018 - 11:11 AM)

I realized the other day that the Planet of Junk/Junkion is the interstellar counterpart to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

@  unluckiness : (08 December 2018 - 08:56 AM)

awards are a joke to begin with. One for video games makes it twice so.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 December 2018 - 03:21 AM)

Sorry, I had beans.

@  Waspinator : (07 December 2018 - 11:50 PM)

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2018 - 10:33 PM)

Always hopeful yet discontent, he knows changes aren't permanent, but change is!

@  Pennpenn : (07 December 2018 - 07:16 PM)

Nonsense. Everything changes, the cycle is an illusion.

@  Waspinator : (07 December 2018 - 07:03 PM)

Turning, turning, turning through the years. Minutes into hours, and the hours into years. Nothing changes, nothing ever can. Round about the roundabout. Round and round and back where you began!

@  Pennpenn : (07 December 2018 - 06:56 PM)

The change was you got something off your wishlist. Be happy about that if nothing else!

@  wonko the sane? : (07 December 2018 - 02:09 PM)

I finally got something off my steam wishlist! but managed to add another title immediately: so there was no change. Dang it.

@  Dekafox : (07 December 2018 - 01:46 PM)

They're the thieves everyone is talking about though!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (07 December 2018 - 11:06 AM)

Wrong Phantom thieves!

@  Dekafox : (07 December 2018 - 11:04 AM)

I thought they were just trying to take the Lupin Collection pieces

@  MEDdMI : (07 December 2018 - 09:25 AM)

damn you Phantom Thieves and your "Take Your heart wallet" motto!

@  MEDdMI : (07 December 2018 - 09:23 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw whaaaaa????? :o *sees trailer* AAAAARRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

@  unluckiness : (07 December 2018 - 03:15 AM)

Great, Waspinator got exploded again.

@  Waspinator : (07 December 2018 - 02:39 AM)

Taka, Tora, Batta: Ta-To-Ba! Tatoba, Ta-To-Ba!

@  unluckiness : (07 December 2018 - 12:08 AM)

cyclone

@  Waspinator : (06 December 2018 - 11:39 PM)

that is super weird

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (06 December 2018 - 11:32 PM)

My brain broke!

Joker... From Persona 5... In Smash....

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (06 December 2018 - 10:25 PM)

That doesn't suprise me.. I'm more waiting for Rockstar to pull a Bethesda.

@  Steevy Maximus : (06 December 2018 - 09:46 PM)

Red Dead is running wild over the Game Awards. More than a few have been awarded where I don't feel they should have won.

@  Steevy Maximus : (06 December 2018 - 09:11 PM)

Marvel Ultimate Allience 3 Switch Exclusive for 2019!?

@  unluckiness : (06 December 2018 - 08:57 AM)

The red plastic holding it together kinda worries me. It's the gummi kind of clear plasstic andmoving it feels uncpomfortably close to tearing.

@  Shrug : (06 December 2018 - 08:17 AM)

Yeah, that happened to mine a few weeks ago. Common problem.

@  Pennpenn : (06 December 2018 - 08:05 AM)

Oh for cryin' out loud, the yellow part on the back hinge of my TR Weirdwolf broke. Bleh. At least the red is still there I guess.

@  unluckiness : (06 December 2018 - 04:59 AM)

Man, I still haven't gotten past Rock Tunnel.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (06 December 2018 - 03:28 AM)

You know nothing.. NOTHING! Eevee is our lord and savior! He will give us the cuteness we need! ;) No seriously.. Both Pika and Eevee in the games are way OP and Eevee can learn elemental moves to replace evolving.

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 December 2018 - 03:22 AM)

It's cute, what other point does it need?

@  Pennpenn : (06 December 2018 - 03:17 AM)

I can get Pikachu not evolving, the species has had decades of not evolving. But Eevee without evolution seems... pointless?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (06 December 2018 - 03:15 AM)

Neither can Pikachu... And you don't need Eevee to evolve!

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 December 2018 - 03:15 AM)

Neither of them can evolve as starters.

@  Pennpenn : (06 December 2018 - 02:30 AM)

Also damn it my mouse wheel broke. What a pisser.

@  Pennpenn : (06 December 2018 - 02:30 AM)

It can't evolve.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (06 December 2018 - 02:29 AM)

How dare you! You KNOW Eevee is the obvious choice!

@  wonko the sane? : (05 December 2018 - 05:48 PM)

Finished mine a few days ago, and just bought myself (I really shouldn't have, but did anyway.) let's go pikachu with the pokeball.

@  Cybersnark : (05 December 2018 - 03:47 PM)

Mostly. There's a book en route to my mom's house from the UK and I don't know if it'll arrive before January.

@  Cybersnark : (05 December 2018 - 03:46 PM)

Christmas shopping: complete.

@  RichardT1977 : (05 December 2018 - 12:37 PM)

(which would lead to a bunch of bad jokes about him selling a line of cashews, almonds, and pecans)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (05 December 2018 - 12:37 PM)

That would make sense per the precedent of Kamen Rider OOO ("Kamen Raidā Ōzu").

@  RichardT1977 : (05 December 2018 - 12:35 PM)

Wouldn't it be pronounced "Kamen Rider D's"?

@  fourteenwings : (05 December 2018 - 11:37 AM)

Kamen Rider Dream Drop Distance?

@  Sabrblade : (05 December 2018 - 09:57 AM)

Kamen Rider DDD, or "3D" as it would be pronounced.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 December 2018 - 06:50 AM)

Dedede is secretly a Kamen Rider? You know what? Why not. I honestly wouldn't be suprised!

Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars General Discussion - What will the future of the franchise look like?

198 replies to this topic

#1 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 27555 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:38 PM

MOD EDIT: discussion split from here:

https://www.allspark...ival/?p=3763109

I'm not too surprised. The word is that after Solo bombed Kennedy was told in no uncertain terms Disney aren't happy with her because under her the franchise has steadily lost money. This feels like throwing fans a bone with something pre-her they knew was in demand.

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 20 July 2018 - 12:32 PM.

#2 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 63447 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:59 PM

I'm not too surprised. The word is that after Solo bombed Kennedy was told in no uncertain terms Disney aren't happy with her because under her the franchise has steadily lost money. This feels like throwing fans a bone with something pre-her they knew was in demand.

How do people think it lost money? I'm genuinely curious as to why people may think this after the success of the recent films. Not being confrontational, just wanted to know why.

ACItEK8.png

#3 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 44374 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:09 PM

Indeed. Just based off the box office takes for the Post-Disney films, they've nearly doubled their investment. The four Disney era films combined cost about a billion to make. The international take home for those four films is around 4 billion. Heck, Solo was a $100 million success. That's not even bothering to look at merchandise speculations.

So I really don't understand the idea that Star Wars is somehow failing under Kennedy.

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#4 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22035 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:04 PM

Yeah, um, what? That rumor is absurdly mismatched with a reality where Star Wars is regularly making hundreds of millions of dollars.

Really excited for more Clone Wars, and I will be very happy if the story they tell makes Revenge of the Sith ultimately redundant, as it deserves.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#5 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 27555 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:17 PM

We're talking about a company that paid billions for this franchise. The rumours basically imply she's been criticised because Solo bombed and Disney are apparently comparing Star Wars to the success of the MCU.
They're apparently also not happy the entitled man baby crap went into overdrive based on her direction for the franchise but if that parts true I don't think it can be fully blamed on her.

And no, I didn't pick this up from some random hate blog. The sources on this were also on top of the Sony hack a while back.

#6 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6038 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:31 PM

Rumors gonna rumor.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#7 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 44374 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:17 AM

The rumours basically imply she's been criticised because Solo bombed and Disney are apparently comparing Star Wars to the success of the MCU.

Except Solo didn't bomb. It under-performed certainly, but still made Disney $100 million profit. Other studios wish they had Disney's problems.

But I will admit there's something to be said about the rate of performance. If Disney was expecting Star Wars to be like the MCU, they're going to be in for a rude awakening. One thing Lucas had right was the marketing of the franchise - make people wait. Let the pot simmer for a bit before giving it another stir. Banging out new movies and shows every year is a great means of producing a burnout. Marvel seems immune at the moment, but Marvel also isn't brokering competition. Warner Bros is struggling to keep the DC franchises relevant (Not even Batman can bolster all of them), and the CW has hit critical mass with its Arrowverse.

Sometimes less is more.

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#8 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 26686 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

So let me get this straight.  Because Solo didn't make ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD!, this means it bombed and that under Kennedy, the franchise is losing money because one movie didn't make ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD!?  Fanboys are idiots.

Ironbite-and have no clue how businesses work.

xC9l3eY.gif

#9 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2175 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:09 AM

Three SW films in a row make over 1 billion each, fourth arguably doesn't break even. This is fine.

Really, though, Clone Wars had a LOT of material that went to waste from the buyout. Its really quite natural that Disney would go back to it to fill out its new streaming service.
(Also, they'd've been working on this since before Solo even came out, so the whole thing's kinda moot, heh)

Edited by Noideaforaname, 20 July 2018 - 09:16 AM.

#10 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38504 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:14 AM

Indeed. Just based off the box office takes for the Post-Disney films, they've nearly doubled their investment. The four Disney era films combined cost about a billion to make. The international take home for those four films is around 4 billion. Heck, Solo was a $100 million success. That's not even bothering to look at merchandise speculations.

So I really don't understand the idea that Star Wars is somehow failing under Kennedy.

Every article I have seen on the internet says that the movie under-performance cost Disney $50 million. I see no mention of it making $100 Million. It reportedly cost Disney $250 million to make the film and it only made $212 Domestically. Internationally it made another $173, but international markets take a lot larger cut of the films than the domestic markets. Once the film hits home media, I am sure that Disney will get its money back but so far the film did take a loss theatrically.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#11 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1786 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

It was never about overall box office performance, it is about efficiency.  If $1 invested in makes $2, that film operates at 50%.  Every decision has an efficiency, some are high, some are low.  I business has to decide how they are spending their limited resources.  Solo operated at 50% and costed 1M to make.  Disney may have had other options that operated at 25%, but only cost .25M to make.  If they put money into those, they could produce 4 smaller projects and make a total of 4M rather than one that makes 2M.  That is what killed Kennedy.  She convinced them that they should fund Solo rather than Frozen 2, the Clone Wars cartoon, the "Incredible Radishes", and the "Mtn Dew Chronicles".  Solo didn't do well and Disney walked away from 4M.  When the accountants saw that, Disney had to make a decision to keep throwing money at Kennedy, or "have her resign"

"Expect me when I arrive" - G'kar
Ryougabot

#12 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10655 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:01 AM

Well, it was Kennedy's distaste for what Miller and Lord were doing that led to Solo ending up as the most expensive Star Wars film ever, so... IF true, I don't think she's necessarily the WORST person to blame.
But then I don't like Kennedy much anyway because she's supposedly responsible for Nothing But White Female Leads.

unknown.png

#13 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1786 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

Well, it was Kennedy's distaste for what Miller and Lord were doing that led to Solo ending up as the most expensive Star Wars film ever, so... IF true, I don't think she's necessarily the WORST person to blame.
But then I don't like Kennedy much anyway because she's supposedly responsible for Nothing But White Female Leads.

It all boils down to Star Trek

CHANG: Captain Kirk, are you aware that as the Captain of a starship you are required to be responsible for the actions of your men?
KIRK: I am.
CHANG: And if it should be proved that members of your crew did in fact carry out such an assassination?...
McCOY: Jim! They're setting us up! Your honours!...
COLONEL WORF: Do not answer!
KLINGON JUDGE: Captain Kirk, you will answer the question.
KIRK: As Captain ...I am responsible for the conduct of the crew under my command.
CHANG: Your honours, the State rests.

Ryougabot

#14 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1551 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

That's actually the scene that kept coming to mind for me in all the Holdo/Poe discussions.  :D

On topic, I think it's also worth noting that financial people are ridiculously big on trends. For example, revenue reports are always provided not just in terms of an actual dollar amount, but how much that figure changed from the same year/quarter/month from a year ago. It's not enough to make money. You have to continuously increase how much money you're making. With that in mind, I can very easily imagine some of the corporate bosses at Disney being very unhappy with this picture.

Edit: I have no idea what's up with the chart scaling, but I only just noticed it. Looks like it's trying to show double the actual values for some reason. Oh well, not worth the effort to fix it since the actual data is there and the trends are clear enough.

Attached Thumbnails

• Star Wars Box Office.png

Edited by Exatron, 20 July 2018 - 11:34 AM.

#15 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1786 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:54 AM

That's actually the scene that kept coming to mind for me in all the Holdo/Poe discussions.  :D

On topic, I think it's also worth noting that financial people are ridiculously big on trends. For example, revenue reports are always provided not just in terms of an actual dollar amount, but how much that figure changed from the same year/quarter/month from a year ago. It's not enough to make money. You have to continuously increase how much money you're making. With that in mind, I can very easily imagine some of the corporate bosses at Disney being very unhappy with this picture.

Edit: I have no idea what's up with the chart scaling, but I only just noticed it. Looks like it's trying to show double the actual values for some reason. Oh well, not worth the effort to fix it since the actual data is there and the trends are clear enough.

Couple that with the price to make, and the efficiency trend is worse.  Per man hour, Disney makes less on Star Wars than STV sequels.  They may get a better GP if they send those SW experts over to create a TV show with revenue from syndication and advertiser slots.  You could also use the program as a vehicle for toy sales.

I wonder if they have some way to do that...oh yeah :)

Ryougabot

#16 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 63447 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

Nothing But White Brunette British Female Leads.

Fixed that for you.

Definitely seems like there's a very obvious pattern. 

Take out the British part and then you have the original and prequels as well.

A little diversity would be nice.

ACItEK8.png

#17 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 8312 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

With renewed extensive discussion on Star Wars as a whole, I have split those posts into this dedicated thread.

For Star Wars: The Force Awakens discussion, see here.

For Star Wars: The Last Jedi discussion, see here.

For Star Wars Episode IX discussion, see here.

For Rogue One: A Star Wars Story discussion, see here.

For Solo: A Star Wars Story discussion, see here.

For Star Wars: The Clone Wars revival discussion, see here.

For Star Wars Rebels discussion, see here.

For Star Wars: Resistance discussion, see here.

For The Mandalorian series discussion, see here.

For Cassian Andor series discussion, see here.

For Star Wars toy discussion, see here.

And for Star Trek general discussion, see here.

In any case, we live in an interesting era, to be sure.

I can hardly wait to see what news comes out of Disney next.

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 25 November 2018 - 02:34 AM.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#18 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1786 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

And they say the fandom is not divided...

Ryougabot

#19 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2598 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

How do people think it lost money? I'm genuinely curious as to why people may think this after the success of the recent films. Not being confrontational, just wanted to know why.

It boils down to the fact many fans felt betrayed by the Last Jedi film, it failed to answer their burning questions that were posed in the Force Awakens, it wasted a lot of time on a meaningless side story to get a hacker when in the past its been shown droids can do these things, its pretty much a SLOW Chase through Space that could of been over within about 30min, to me it felt like a bad remake of a Battlestar Galatica (Reimgained series) ep, where the Cylons would show up every 30 min and they had to jump away to safety. Last Jedi killed off the most important legacy charater in a manner that dishounored him, it killed the charater who many believed to be the primary villian of the trilogy, without seconds thoughts to his back story, it wasted Rey's time on that world with Luke, it had two charaters who pretty much cost many people in the resistance, their lives, one by failing to tell people what the plan is or directing the other ships to jump to lightspeed in different directions, the other, just to steal a kiss from a guy she only just met a few hours ago, when he was willing to give up his life to prevent the First Order from getting access to the base.

I can, Kennedy is a buiness person without the vision, like JJ Adrams has, thus she pretty much been rubber stamping a lot of things and making bad choices, simply because she doesn't understand the brand she been in charge of. She also failed to reign in Rian Johnson who been out of control on Twitter and trying to explain his choices in the Last Jedi, but he also been insuilting fans, she made a bad sitution worse a couple of times, like saying, she doesn't like Luke Skywalker or feel with him, there also a comment I heard about where she says something about your NOT a fan if you only go and see the films or watch the TV series or buy the toys and stuff! This pretty much upset fans greatly and is causing things to go downhill!

The general sitution is that Rian & Kathleen have set fire to something that was not meant to be set fire to and as they try to put the fire out, they only throw on things that make it worse and as a result the brand of Star Wars as suffered greatly which lead to many fans not bothering with Solo, plus many fans likely have their own ideas of Han Solo's adventures prior to meeting Luke & Obi Wan, its pretty much the story no one asked for ror felt was wanted unlike Rouge One which felt right at home as a bridge film that help set the stage for a New Hope events. Of course, Kathleen, from what I understand/heard about, got a major scolling from the head of Disney, behind private doors with the heads of Pixar and Marvel listening in but not saying anything, so currently the future of the brand rests upon Ep9 and Disney knows there must be a serious change of leadership at Lucas film and what I last knew of (as of a couple of days ago), Kathleen is currently hard to replace, not because of how she does the job, but getting a replacement, a lot of people do not want to take over because they see the fandom as Toxic when the reailty is that its the people currently in charge are toxic.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#20 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 2987 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

It boils down to the fact many fans felt betrayed by the Last Jedi film, it failed to answer their burning questions that were posed in the Force Awakens, it wasted a lot of time on a meaningless side story to get a hacker when in the past its been shown droids can do these things, its pretty much a SLOW Chase through Space that could of been over within about 30min, to me it felt like a bad remake of a Battlestar Galatica (Reimgained series) ep, where the Cylons would show up every 30 min and they had to jump away to safety. Last Jedi killed off the most important legacy charater in a manner that dishounored him, it killed the charater who many believed to be the primary villian of the trilogy, without seconds thoughts to his back story, it wasted Rey's time on that world with Luke, it had two charaters who pretty much cost many people in the resistance, their lives, one by failing to tell people what the plan is or directing the other ships to jump to lightspeed in different directions, the other, just to steal a kiss from a guy she only just met a few hours ago, when he was willing to give up his life to prevent the First Order from getting access to the base.

That's what you get from J.J. Abrams a lot of questions and no payoff.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users