Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

@  wonko the sane? : (12 June 2021 - 09:00 PM)

Just don't drop him.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars General Discussion - RIP David Prowse

1461 replies to this topic

#1421 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 10090 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:12 PM

#1422 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

X-Wing: Mercy Kill

• Retired Staff
  • 10206 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:53 PM

Guess nobody wants Beta Squad.

Ever heard that after "Zoomers" (z) in Western demographic stereotypes comes the "Alphas" (α)?

https://en.wikipedia...eneration_Alpha

I cannot imagine that the next kids down the line in a couple decades will be happy to be termed "Betas".

There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is harmony. There is no death, there is the Force.

-the Jedi Code

#1423 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Ballistic Knight Rises!

• Staff
  • 15293 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:29 AM

Sorry for coming to this a bit late.

I really don't understand the hatred some have for Brie Larson, but I would of course welcome Karen Gillan in almost anything. That said...

I really don't see much point in bringing Mara Jade into the current canon. I LOVED that character, and would have welcomed her return (much as I was thrilled to get Thrawn back), but that ship's sailed. I'm really not interested in Mara without Luke, and what they've done with Luke precludes including Mara as part of his life, IMHO. It certainly wouldn't be likely to be done with Mark Hamill in live-action, EVEN IF they tried to shoehorn it into the canon (please don't).

I think it's for the best that we leave Mara Jade to the "Legends" now.

Was recently thinking about Mara Jade, and I just stumbled across this post. My view (which will likely be contravened by a future story, but oh well) is that Mara Jade could still be plausibly be reintroduced into Disney canon in the ~30 year interim between RotJ and TFA. Just before the rise of Kylo Ren, Mara could have suffered some kind of disastrous event which left her stranded somewhere in deep space with no way to contact anyone. That way, Luke having no morale in TFA / TLJ makes more sense in context because the destruction of the Jedi academy really was the last straw for him.

And then, Mara Jade can return to help restore the Jedi Order under Rey's leadership after TRoS.

(And add some other Legends-original characters to Mara Jade's stranded and mistaken for dead compatriots who conveniently avoid appearing and dying in the sequel trilogy. Kyle Katarn, Kyp Durron, Saba Sebatyne, Lowbacca, K'Kruhk, etc.)

You know, all of that sounds good, apart from ‘Jedi Order’ and ‘Rey’s Leadership’. I’m sorry, but her character just will never work for me. Ever. And Disney just keep making worse and worse retcons to seemingly make her more all powerful. I mean, didn’t they recently retcon her force healing to be so amazing, it can ‘heal you of the Dark Side’. Thus meaning that Kylo didn’t turn from evil himself, she made him better?

fslookup.jpg

#1424 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 13071 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:32 AM

I really don't understand the hatred some have for Brie Larson, but I would of course welcome Karen Gillan in almost anything. That said...

I really don't see much point in bringing Mara Jade into the current canon. I LOVED that character, and would have welcomed her return (much as I was thrilled to get Thrawn back), but that ship's sailed. I'm really not interested in Mara without Luke, and what they've done with Luke precludes including Mara as part of his life, IMHO. It certainly wouldn't be likely to be done with Mark Hamill in live-action, EVEN IF they tried to shoehorn it into the canon (please don't).

Was recently thinking about Mara Jade, and I just stumbled across this post. My view (which will likely be contravened by a future story, but oh well) is that Mara Jade could still be plausibly be reintroduced into Disney canon in the ~30 year interim between RotJ and TFA. Just before the rise of Kylo Ren, Mara could have suffered some kind of disastrous event which left her stranded somewhere in deep space with no way to contact anyone. That way, Luke having no morale in TFA / TLJ makes more sense in context because the destruction of the Jedi academy really was the last straw for him.

And then, Mara Jade can return to help restore the Jedi Order under Rey's leadership after TRoS.

(And add some other Legends-original characters to Mara Jade's stranded and mistaken for dead compatriots who conveniently avoid appearing and dying in the sequel trilogy. Kyle Katarn, Kyp Durron, Saba Sebatyne, Lowbacca, K'Kruhk, etc.)

You know, all of that sounds good, apart from ‘Jedi Order’ and ‘Rey’s Leadership’. I’m sorry, but her character just will never work for me. Ever. And Disney just keep making worse and worse retcons to seemingly make her more all powerful. I mean, didn’t they recently retcon her force healing to be so amazing, it can ‘heal you of the Dark Side’. Thus meaning that Kylo didn’t turn from evil himself, she made him better?

I'm not anti-Disney, but I certainly agree re: Mara Jade. I'm not interested in seeing Disney try to cram her into the gaps between RotJ and TFA, or use her post-Luke. She's a great character, but she just doesn't fit in current canon, and is best left alone. We still have the books of the past.

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 12 April 2021 - 10:33 AM.

#1425 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35501 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:56 AM

I don't understand why Disney would use ANY EU character.  It feels disrespectful to me.  We will appropriate this character, but the stories that made you interested in this character will stay in the dustbin.  I'm looking at Thrawn.

#1426 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 9553 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:09 AM

after the way they treated the original characters, i hope they NEVER use eu characters. i would rather they all linger in "irrelevant" print stories than see them get butchered

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#1427 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Ballistic Knight Rises!

• Staff
  • 15293 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:49 AM

That does seem to be their modus operandi doesn’t it? They chucked out all of the EU. Just si they can then turn around and cherry pick the ‘best bits’ to reinterpret into the “New” canon.

fslookup.jpg

#1428 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8504 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:07 PM

Vulcan Reporter is claiming Star Wars Detours is finally coming to Disney+ in May

https://www.thevulca...y-plus-release/

#1429 Daith

Daith

Is this the Way?...

• Supporter
  • 10079 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

Hmmm 10 days too late for an April Fools joke..... Actually dang that would have been the perfect release date. :D

Edited by Daith, 12 April 2021 - 04:36 PM.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#1430 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3622 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:16 PM

Rey's a lost cause. They've already sacrificed Lucas' films and even the Sequel trilogy in an attempt to prop up their own OC main character, which just completely fell flat. Bringing back the old-canon crew to 'fix' that story line will only drag them down.

(seriously folks, just read the EU)

#1431 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1633 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:44 AM

Rey's a lost cause. They've already sacrificed Lucas' films and even the Sequel trilogy in an attempt to prop up their own OC main character, which just completely fell flat. Bringing back the old-canon crew to 'fix' that story line will only drag them down.

(seriously folks, just read the EU)

Is she though? Because all the little girls I know who loved TFA and especially loved Rey still love Rey now
You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#1432 Ironbite

Ironbite

TIME JUDGED ALL!

• Supporter
  • 29935 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:59 AM

Oh no!  You've brought logic to this fight!

xC9l3eY.gif

#1433 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49668 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:50 AM

I'm really tired of people dunking on Rey for having the audacity of being the Main Character of a Star Wars film not named Skywalker. Nothing Rey does in the films is any different from what Anakin or Luke do in their respective films save for the fact Rey managed to keep all her limbs throughout the films. Which apparently is somehow evidence that Rey's OP...because she managed to avoid being reckless.

Edited by Rust, 13 April 2021 - 11:51 AM.

#1434 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3622 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:24 PM

I just find Rey intensely dull, even more so after getting into the EU. I mean hell, the NJO having a character wear shoes was this major turning point in their development. Rey, I don't even know if she wants to bring back the Jedi Order or not. Sure that's what I expect on a meta level, but not from anything in-universe.

#1435 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49668 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

Well of course Rey's not going to compare to the EU. The EU had 36 years of development put into it and numerous novels and authors.

The Sequel Trilogy on the whole is only 6 years old.

As for whether or not Rey's going to bring back the Jedi, that's more an issue with far too much information being left to secondary media which is a glaring flaw of the entire design (such what it was and how much of it there was) of said Trilogy. Alderaan got more of a on screen presence in the original Star Wars than whatever five planets got blowed up in Force Awakens.

Edited by Rust, 13 April 2021 - 04:15 PM.

#1436 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 13071 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

I don't understand why Disney would use ANY EU character.  It feels disrespectful to me.  We will appropriate this character, but the stories that made you interested in this character will stay in the dustbin.  I'm looking at Thrawn.

Not my attitude at all. I LOVE seeing Thrawn in current canon. Timothy Zahn, the creator of the character, has continued to be involved, so I'm not the least bit worried about a lack of respect.

#1437 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1633 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:22 PM

How do you feel about the vast majority of DC Comics? All those characters were always corporate assets anyway, like all work for hire creations
You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#1438 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 25034 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:12 PM

How do you feel about the vast majority of DC Comics? All those characters were always corporate assets anyway, like all work for hire creations

Or even anything that's had new continuities. Was it "disrespectful" to "appropriate" Bulkhead for Prime after Animated ended?

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 13 April 2021 - 06:20 PM.

#1439 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8371 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:19 PM

I love that Rebels was considered worthy of babysitting Thrawn for a while. 

Why WOULDN'T Disney cherrypick from a canon they discarded? That's what literally every long-enough-running fiction farm does. DC wiped out half their shit in a Crisis and then inevitably began an endless process of reinstating the bits that somebody wanted back (and then removing them again, rinse and repeat - DC has a PROBLEM). This is the story of basically All Transformers Fiction. 

The SW EU is not really comparable to a comics universe though - two million novels spinning out of a blockbuster movie franchise will never truly be a respected canon, no matter what anyone says on the matter. Those novels, regardless of franchise, are disposable busywork to keep a tiny sliver of hardcore fanbase occupied between films/TV seasons/"real" stuff. And that extended universe can be brilliant, and loved, and whatever, but it will absolutely never be a priority to the people who are responsible for churning out the movies. At best it's ignored, at worst it's recognised as an enemy who's limiting the stories you want to tell. I think for Star Wars it was probably ultimately somewhere in the middle - it's big, it's beloved, but we just want to tidy up a bit and start with a clean(er) slate. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#1440 Zillatron

Zillatron

Lord of the Energon Harvest

• Citizen
  • 6442 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:40 PM

The nerdrage butthurt is getting a little strong in here.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users