Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 06:31 PM)

I stopped reading it.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 06:04 PM)

If talking about it here is all it takes to get you, why hasn't the oreo thread killed you yet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL. Of your stomach.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

Hey man, how you deal with yo problems is yo bidness.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 04:08 PM)

I did no such thing! I am innocent of the pop tart corruption!

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 02:57 PM)

You guys made me buy cinnamon roll Pop Tarts today.

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:38 PM)

@D Immortalis Just fill the bag with air first and pop that? XP Oh, and you won't like that I grew up microwaving them more often than actually toasting. ;)

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:37 PM)

@MEDdMI Yeah, the even more artificial flavors like S'more are the ones that usually taste good cold. There exceptions... I think it was Sugar Cookie that needed to be toasted...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 02:19 PM)

And.. Amazon is borked.

@  Donocropolis : (16 July 2018 - 05:55 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw - Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered him and P/CP

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 01:41 AM)

Repugnus up

@  Paladin : (15 July 2018 - 07:41 PM)

or add peanut butter.

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 07:33 PM)

Nuke them enough in the microwave....?

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 06:43 PM)

if po tarts dont POP then they become a lie.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 05:10 PM)

I typically just went for the traditional flavours... I think mostly Rasberry or Strawberry. I'll have to pick up a box next time I'm out

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

@Otaku I've tried that too with a few of them. I liked the soda flavored ones they had. Too bad they were limited. :(

@  Otaku : (15 July 2018 - 03:48 PM)

@D Immortalis Most Pop-Tarts I like are better eaten frozen... and the only reason I started doing that is because Pop-Tarts commercials told me to try them that way. XD

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 03:03 PM)

woohoo, just got my tickets to see From Ashes To New and Hollywood Undead on the 26th!

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 10:07 AM)

oh wow Jazz has heel spurs.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 July 2018 - 06:32 AM)

That's basically what happened to me. I was on that aisle for completely other reasons, caught sight of them in my peripheral, and then... just couldn't stop thinking about them.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 02:47 AM)

Hungry for pop tarts now - haven't had those in years

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

anyone that doesnt put theit pop tarts in a toaster is a heretic.

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

Do they still make the cinnamon-brown sugar ones?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 09:03 PM)

Yup. And?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 08:29 PM)

Aren't Pop Tarts like, totally junk for you by the definition of the word?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 08:27 PM)

Four IS standard... but it's been so long I had forgotten.

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 July 2018 - 07:29 PM)

Bah, wonko, I remember when 4 was STANDARD

@  Paladin : (14 July 2018 - 04:10 PM)

https://twitter.com/NickRoche/status/1018234094310879234 people suck...

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 01:10 PM)

Me: opening a box of pop tarts. "Oh my god! There's FOUR in here?!?! Score!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 10:22 AM)

Well, some people are into shopping, anyway.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 10:22 AM)

Taiwanese Costco also has lots of things that shoppers would want!

@  unluckiness : (14 July 2018 - 10:18 AM)

The Taiwan Costco I visited once was nice but I have to question why our guide thought it'd be a good place to bring tourists.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 09:40 AM)

Lower prices, lower taxes, bigger selection... yeah, I can see that happening.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 09:14 AM)

Didn't a Washington Costco make the news a couple years ago for being sheerly flooded with customers from British Columbia?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 July 2018 - 01:25 AM)

That's cool. There's a Sam's Club in Niagara Falls, where I tend to cross the border, but I've never been in. I'm a Costco member, but not Sam's Club; and unfortunately Costco makes sure there aren't any locations in the US too near the Canadian border

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 07:02 PM)

Nope, not the battle damaged version. He got it from his cousin, whose family has a camping ground in... I wanna say new york state, but I'm probably wrong. Just across the border anyway.

@  Nevermore : (13 July 2018 - 06:36 PM)

Sam's Club exclusive was the battle damaged version, right?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 July 2018 - 06:34 PM)

He's got friends on the other side.

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 July 2018 - 06:08 PM)

where'd your nephew get a US retailer exclusive

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 04:39 PM)

Alright, I managed to identify him. The 2007 voyager class that was apparently exclusive to sam's club.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 04:20 PM)

Well, that was a nice surprise. Me nephew (the 10 year old.) just gave me an optimus prime that's minorly older than he is.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 10:25 AM)

Nah, even better. He'll be a memory of the mission briefing. Just a voice over. Four different figures in the toyline, but not actually in the movie.

@  unluckiness : (13 July 2018 - 10:06 AM)

I am 110% sure that Optimus will show up, even as a transmission or something. At least maybe we can get a cybertronian form this time.

@  Pennpenn : (13 July 2018 - 09:55 AM)

At least one Optimus sodding Prime.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 06:57 AM)

Same way as always: completely unrelated figures and models that weren't even in the movie.

@  unluckiness : (12 July 2018 - 11:47 PM)

I think that's a given, though, given the small number of transformers in Bee Movie, I wonder how they'll fill the toyline

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 July 2018 - 02:07 PM)

Yeah. I'm hoping with the new film, we might get something closer to the deluxe range

@  NotVeryKnightly : (12 July 2018 - 01:20 PM)

Isn't the Masterpiece the only recent VW G1-looking Bee?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 July 2018 - 11:02 AM)

Especially when they are questioned directly and respond by dodging the question.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 July 2018 - 11:01 AM)

Watching hypocrites parade their high ground is equally amusing and cringeworthy.

Photo

A crazy idea about VR that just might work

8 replies to this topic

#1 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 3780 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:41 AM

I was thinking about VR recently. How it's biggest hurdle is the motion sickness that most users get when they try to control a character that can move around while they sit in one place. One solution to this is "room-space VR", where rich people who can afford to add a whole extra room to their house put sensors around the room and actually physically move around in it. But they're still limited to that small space, and moving any further requires them to teleport around like a hyperactive wizzrobe. The only way to get around this limitation would be to play in a huge space that's elaborately laid out to match the game's map.

And that's when it hit me: Such spaces already exist, and I bet they're hurting for business these days. Yep, I'm talking about laser tag arenas. Imagine if we could take that experience and combine it with VR?

Here's what I'm picturing: Someone designs and programs a multiplayer video game with a single map, whose basic geometry is then recreated inside the building using the kind of cheap materials typical of a laser tag arena. Location trackers are mounted in the corners to triangulate players' locations. A rack of high-end computers is installed to serve as the server and clients, rendering everyone's viewports and streaming them wirelessly to their headsets. Instead of light sensors, players wear a crude mo-cap suit composed of a chest plate, gloves, spats, elbow pads and knee pads fitted with Wiimote-style motion detectors. With this, the server can be aware of the exact location, facing angle, and rough pose of every player at all times and can recreate their avatar accordingly. The player's gun, also fitted with motion sensors, has an extra button on the top allowing the player to cycle between different virtual weapons.

As far as gameplay, I'm still a bit stumped, mostly because I'm used to games that give players limited "health" and force them to "respawn" if they run out. Obviously you can't do that when you're relying on players occupying physical space from the start of the round to the end. The most you could really do is temporarily disable their weapons, and perhaps force them to run to one of several "recharge stations" to get them back. But there's loads of potential here. Any number of the classic FPS game modes, from capture the flag to territory control to Splatoon's Turf Wars, could be loosely recreated. And if you have a big group that rented out the facility for a whole afternoon, you could switch between modes and shuffle teams at will with the push of a button, because it's all done using software.

I dunno. Maybe I'm a hopeless dreamer, or maybe I'm missing an obvious reason why this couldn't work, but it feels like this could really be the next big thing. If it took off, it wouldn't even have to be limited to former laser tag arenas; there's lots of real estate in the US waiting to be exploited. All those empty Kmart and Toys-R-Us stores? Big enough to host a small version of those Battle Royale things that the kids are into these days. Abandoned malls? Imagine a co-op game that recreates the classic mall zombie invasion.

Thoughts? Ideas? Questions? Complaints?

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#2 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 19887 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:18 AM

Isn't this what they call "Augmented reality"?

I mean, I'm not too familiar on the details or what games it's used for but the basic idea sounds similar.

#3 Glenn

Glenn

Sitting next to me may result in Smart-ass poisoning

• Supporter
  • 9296 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:21 AM

So.. your 'fix' for VR is basically... 'go outside and play'?

#4 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 39423 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:17 AM

Well, folks keep bitching that kids don't get enough exercise. Running from zombies is exercise!

#5 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 4469 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

My guess is the biggest issue is cost of setting this all up. It sounds expensive, like really expensive.

Also I've never actually gotten to do laser tag. Do you have to sign a waiver in case of injury?

Gonna be honest the 'abandoned mall' turned into something where you can fight off a zombie horde sounds amazing. Imagine the scenario being cycled out. Like instead of zombies it's aliens, maybe even buy a license and have the xenomorphs from the famous Alien franchise, or ghosts you have to 'capture'.

Issues I can see is if the headset malfunctions and doesn't display a fellow player correctly or just plan shuts off or even doesn't display you to others. You are going to get a LOT of people smashing into each other, which can cause injury and possible lawsuits.(Or I suppose even not displaying where a wall/object is correctly would cause people to run smack into it. That could really cause problems)

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#6 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 39423 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

I've done lots of lazertag over the years: granted nothing recently. But unless the policy requirements have changed, I never signed anything. And the fact that to legally agree to something you have to be either 18 or accompanied by an adult. Of course, the laws are different up here than the states, so... yeah. Case by case I guess.

#7 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 3780 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

Issues I can see is if the headset malfunctions and doesn't display a fellow player correctly or just plan shuts off or even doesn't display you to others. You are going to get a LOT of people smashing into each other, which can cause injury and possible lawsuits.(Or I suppose even not displaying where a wall/object is correctly would cause people to run smack into it. That could really cause problems)

I was going to say it would be very hard for a video game to glitch out in such a spectacular way that players' avatars just straight-up disappear from each other's view, but I have somehow had this very exact thing happen to me more than once playing TF2. Other forms of desync ought to be noticeable to players, though, and we'd definitely need a pre-game safety spiel something like "If your viewport ever freezes, goes blank, or appears to lose sync with your movements, stop right where you are and wait. If the problem isn't fixed after ten seconds, remove your headset and flip the panic switch. An attendant will stop the simulation."

Theme parks toss their guests around at excesses of 100 miles an hour every day, in machines composed of millions of moving parts, and you still hardly ever hear about accidents. And the way they manage this is by being aware of everything that could possibly go wrong and having failsafes in place for every single one, plus a few extra just to be sure.

Here are the failsafes that I've thought of, all of which I'd plan to include because you can never have too many:

• Using a computer that runs on a custom, minimal Linux OS because Windows is to blame for like 90% of all computer problems everywhere ever
  • Ideally, also building the game engine entirely from scratch so programmers can start with just the bare essentials and ensure that those work perfectly before they start adding more complex stuff like realistic rendering
  • Making the motion sensors sensitive enough that the game can distinguish between a player who isn't moving and a sensor that has stopped responding (or gotten stuck in a loop)
  • Programming the game to immediately end the simulation for all players if any part of anyone's suit stops responding for more than a second
  • Having a booth where a staff member can monitor every player's intended viewport at once, with instructions to end the simulation if they see any obvious problems
  • The aforementioned panic switch is connected to a completely separate, low-tech comm system accessible from the booth so that it's not reliant on the player's likely-malfunctioning suit transponder
  • Including a radio in the booth that can override everyone's earphones to provide safety or emergency instructions, in case anyone still has their headsets on during a shutdown

But most importantly,

• Testing this thing for like a year before it's ever released to the public so we have plenty of time to iron out the bugs that would make any of the above measures necessary, because excessive downtime isn't going to do anyone any favors either

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#8 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 39423 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

It was already said, but should be said again.

The technology has wicked potential, and I can easily something like starting to pop-up... in like a decade. It's still ludicrously expensive, and the hardware needed to run it on scale will be equally expensive.

A decent intermediary step would simply be augmented reality games, where all you would need are the glasses and headset and the wireless tie to the computer. Much smaller requirements, and MUCH less dangerous in case of a critical fail since the majority of the scene would still be physical stuff like an actual lazer tag arena. You still get the flexibility of options as well since you can control what goes on the glasses.

#9 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 4469 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:50 PM

I was going to say it would be very hard for a video game to glitch out in such a spectacular way that players' avatars just straight-up disappear from each other's view, but I have somehow had this very exact thing happen to me more than once playing TF2. Other forms of desync ought to be noticeable to players, though, and we'd definitely need a pre-game safety spiel something like "If your viewport ever freezes, goes blank, or appears to lose sync with your movements, stop right where you are and wait. If the problem isn't fixed after ten seconds, remove your headset and flip the panic switch. An attendant will stop the simulation."

The issue there is what if you aren't showing up to other people? Standing still will do nothing, here comes a guy running at top speed and crashes into you because the system isn't displaying you properly to their headset.

I can see augmented reality coming first, and that's not a bad first step.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users