Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 08:28 AM)

Is there an English equivalent for what we Germans call "deductions in the B rating"? Context: Someone did something and suceeded on a technical level (as in, achieved the intended goal), but failed to some degree in the details, i.e. there was some collateral damage, or while a technical success, the end result is an aestetic failure. It can be used highly ironically, as in "barely achieved the intended goal, but failed so much in every aspect that's not purely technical that it might as well be considered an utter failure altogether." The German term is derived from the old judging syste in figure skating, which gave separate ratings for "technical merit" and "presentation", with the latter being the origin of the German term.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 November 2019 - 02:32 AM)

Huh. I did not know before today that "medieval" had an alternate spelling "mediaeval". Like "paleontology" and "palaeontology".

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM)

'Beast Wars in underrated' the comment went. I exploded.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Absolutely.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

So... you can look like a cop from the 70's AND a huge nerd at the same time?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM)

I feel like the best way to carry the Switch would be an under-arm torso holster.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM)

It's not. hell. If the 3DS zelda case just stretched a LITTLE more it would fit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 November 2019 - 03:38 AM)

I feel like the Switch Lite is a bit big to have hanging on your belt like that, but I don't take my Switch out with me often anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I must be the only one who wants a switch lite case with a belt loop. o.O

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2019 - 03:03 PM)

I'm gonna have "Chainsaw Buffet" and "Candy For the Cannibal" by Lordi playing in my head all night.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Trick or treaters can only consent to cannibalism in Germania.

@  Sabrblade : (07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Hey, if the trick or treaters can't take some loving insults, that's their problem.

@  Arazyr : (07 November 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Just make sure to put the leftovers in the fridge, so they don't get spoiled.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I love children... but I can never eat a whole one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM)

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

@  Paladin : (07 November 2019 - 09:46 AM)

...you don't roast the trick or treaters, do you....

Photo
- - - - -

Hasbro's SDCC Teaser - Optimus with Axe

51 replies to this topic

#41 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1703 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:02 AM

Yeah we were explicitly told that if Wheeljack happens, he'll look exactly like he did in the first scene of the cartoon.

#42 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28967 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:02 AM

That Optimus looks like he'd like to axe us a question.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#43 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26058 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:35 AM

I'm sure the question has nothing to do with faces, because he just takes them without asking.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#44 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19713 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:23 AM

its a jigglypuff seen from above

xOyvpt9.png

#45 SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster
  • Citizen
  • 542 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:38 AM

I'm going to be kind of disappointed if Optimus' new figure every year is just G1 1984 Optimus' robot mode in the most complete literal sense every damn time.  Like... you guys can change up the body.  Seriously, we'll still know who he is just by the helmet.

Hasbro had something about moving to the aesthetic the whole world likes. I forget the wording. But I assumed they meant the movie look, somehow adapted to tetrajets. Instead this looks like Sunbow G1.

Did we just completely forget that the Transformers franchise has been run by the seemingly 80s-obsessed transplanted G.I. Joe crew for nearly 4 years now?

I'd love something truly fresh, but then, I'd also love western releases of the Beast Wars Masterpiece line, and as long as John Warden and Co. are in charge, I doubt either are gonna happen...

The same GIJoe crew that ran the franchise into the ground with endless rehashes of Real American Hero, who refused to innovate or experiment?

Gee, that sounds awfully familiar.

#46 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39131 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:47 AM

And we'll have Optimus having basically the same varying-levels-of-entire-G1-body silhouette across three different lines, which is... yeah.

Save me, movie toys.  Save me.

But if it's a PotP Optimus reshelled to have a Cybertronian mode I'd be a little more likely to buy it. If just for a non-Earth mode for Orion Pax.

I think that's probably the only way they'd get me to buy another through-and-through, not-really-updated-in-any-meaningful-way G1 Prime again.  At least have him turn into something different looking.

Third, that is G1 truck man Optimus Prime, and I thought this was on Cybertron. Are they going back to the days before Dreamwave, when sci fi vehicles turned into robots very obviously made of 1980s earth stuff? I am surprised. I guess it gets around licensing the vehicles.

Their tease was Floating Shoebox Wheeljack, so I expect that to be exactly it.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#47 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22894 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:29 AM

I'm going to be kind of disappointed if Optimus' new figure every year is just G1 1984 Optimus' robot mode in the most complete literal sense every damn time.  Like... you guys can change up the body.  Seriously, we'll still know who he is just by the helmet.

Hasbro had something about moving to the aesthetic the whole world likes. I forget the wording. But I assumed they meant the movie look, somehow adapted to tetrajets. Instead this looks like Sunbow G1.

Did we just completely forget that the Transformers franchise has been run by the seemingly 80s-obsessed transplanted G.I. Joe crew for nearly 4 years now?

I'd love something truly fresh, but then, I'd also love western releases of the Beast Wars Masterpiece line, and as long as John Warden and Co. are in charge, I doubt either are gonna happen...

The same GIJoe crew that ran the franchise into the ground with endless rehashes of Real American Hero, who refused to innovate or experiment?

Gee, that sounds awfully familiar.

This seems worth mentioning here:

Warden's tenure on GI Joe was probably the least nostalgia wankfest its had since before the 25th line started. He oversaw Pursuit of Cobra and the 30th stuff that sought to modernize and re-envision a lot of its characters. While adding new ones. 

I wasn't alwys a fan of how he did it or his choices for some of the characters, but that was a step in the right direction... and then they took like twenty steps back.

Also, are you suggesting that kids decided not to buy something entirely because it looked like something from decades past they might not even recognize anyway? Would making someone look different have totally saved the brand regardless of how all the recent media versions ended up mismanaged or less than popular and that army men with cumbersome amounts of tiny accessories might not be the most kid-friendly play experience?

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 12 July 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#48 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39131 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

You're kind of missing the issue (as did Nightviper in that original Joe post) that it's less about "that kids decided not to buy something entirely because it looked like something from decades past" than it is putting that nigh-identical form on the shelves ten times in a row.  Much like Bumbleglut under Archer and the 200X He-Man line, a load of Bumblebees and Optimuses and whoever else packaged in robot mode with nearly the same silhouette every single time causes consumer apathy because most don't see the difference between "Urban Combat Fancy Jacket Duke" and "Olive Drab Camo Jacket Duke".

It leads to the dreaded parental, "You've already got a Snake Eyes.  Let's go."

#49 Telly

Telly

Like a tiny sandwich...

• Retired Staff
  • 8191 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:15 PM

but this snake-eyes has a SWORD!!!

i saw a TON of snake-eyes, dukes and cobra commanders clogging the shelves here. the new figures always sold quickly, but not those

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#50 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42411 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

That's kind of a Marketing decision. They pick the types of characters then the designers narrow it down.

So if Marketing wants an Autobot Construction Vehicle, the designers can make it Scoop. If Marketing want a new bad guy, the designers can make Tombstone.

If Marketing want more core brand characters... the designers have to figure out what kind of new coat Snake-Eyes is wearing.

There is a five and take as designers pitch ideas to Marketing, but those are usually new things which is why they need to be pitched as a proposal.

#51 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22894 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:48 PM

You're kind of missing the issue (as did Nightviper in that original Joe post) that it's less about "that kids decided not to buy something entirely because it looked like something from decades past" than it is putting that nigh-identical form on the shelves ten times in a row.  Much like Bumbleglut under Archer and the 200X He-Man line, a load of Bumblebees and Optimuses and whoever else packaged in robot mode with nearly the same silhouette every single time causes consumer apathy because most don't see the difference between "Urban Combat Fancy Jacket Duke" and "Olive Drab Camo Jacket Duke".

It leads to the dreaded parental, "You've already got a Snake Eyes.  Let's go."

All of that has far more to do with what was out recently rather than the question of whether or not anything resembles the '80s, though. Like, Bumblebee overproduction happened mostly independent of any initiative to make him look more G1.

Nearly every time this complaint happens always emphasizes looking like the '80s rather than glut in general. Your post might be the first I've seen to consider it a similar problem as live-action Bumbleglut. SG Roadbuster's doesn't since it's specifically complaining about the TF team of recent years.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 12 July 2018 - 05:01 PM.

#52 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39131 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:11 PM

They're pretty closely tied together, since, like I said, we're going to have at least three Optimus Primes on the shelves at the same time that that all have the same silhouette because the current team is trying to go for a nostalgia hit instead of getting adventurous.  I also kind of blame this burnout on packaging everything in robot mode, which makes them blend in on the action figure aisle, but that's held through two teams and probably isn't going to change.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users