Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 06:31 PM)

I stopped reading it.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 06:04 PM)

If talking about it here is all it takes to get you, why hasn't the oreo thread killed you yet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL. Of your stomach.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

Hey man, how you deal with yo problems is yo bidness.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 04:08 PM)

I did no such thing! I am innocent of the pop tart corruption!

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 02:57 PM)

You guys made me buy cinnamon roll Pop Tarts today.

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:38 PM)

@D Immortalis Just fill the bag with air first and pop that? XP Oh, and you won't like that I grew up microwaving them more often than actually toasting. ;)

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:37 PM)

@MEDdMI Yeah, the even more artificial flavors like S'more are the ones that usually taste good cold. There exceptions... I think it was Sugar Cookie that needed to be toasted...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 02:19 PM)

And.. Amazon is borked.

@  Donocropolis : (16 July 2018 - 05:55 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw - Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered him and P/CP

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 01:41 AM)

Repugnus up

@  Paladin : (15 July 2018 - 07:41 PM)

or add peanut butter.

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 07:33 PM)

Nuke them enough in the microwave....?

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 06:43 PM)

if po tarts dont POP then they become a lie.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 05:10 PM)

I typically just went for the traditional flavours... I think mostly Rasberry or Strawberry. I'll have to pick up a box next time I'm out

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

@Otaku I've tried that too with a few of them. I liked the soda flavored ones they had. Too bad they were limited. :(

@  Otaku : (15 July 2018 - 03:48 PM)

@D Immortalis Most Pop-Tarts I like are better eaten frozen... and the only reason I started doing that is because Pop-Tarts commercials told me to try them that way. XD

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 03:03 PM)

woohoo, just got my tickets to see From Ashes To New and Hollywood Undead on the 26th!

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 10:07 AM)

oh wow Jazz has heel spurs.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 July 2018 - 06:32 AM)

That's basically what happened to me. I was on that aisle for completely other reasons, caught sight of them in my peripheral, and then... just couldn't stop thinking about them.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 02:47 AM)

Hungry for pop tarts now - haven't had those in years

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

anyone that doesnt put theit pop tarts in a toaster is a heretic.

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

Do they still make the cinnamon-brown sugar ones?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 09:03 PM)

Yup. And?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 08:29 PM)

Aren't Pop Tarts like, totally junk for you by the definition of the word?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 08:27 PM)

Four IS standard... but it's been so long I had forgotten.

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 July 2018 - 07:29 PM)

Bah, wonko, I remember when 4 was STANDARD

@  Paladin : (14 July 2018 - 04:10 PM)

https://twitter.com/NickRoche/status/1018234094310879234 people suck...

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 01:10 PM)

Me: opening a box of pop tarts. "Oh my god! There's FOUR in here?!?! Score!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 10:22 AM)

Well, some people are into shopping, anyway.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 10:22 AM)

Taiwanese Costco also has lots of things that shoppers would want!

@  unluckiness : (14 July 2018 - 10:18 AM)

The Taiwan Costco I visited once was nice but I have to question why our guide thought it'd be a good place to bring tourists.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 09:40 AM)

Lower prices, lower taxes, bigger selection... yeah, I can see that happening.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 09:14 AM)

Didn't a Washington Costco make the news a couple years ago for being sheerly flooded with customers from British Columbia?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 July 2018 - 01:25 AM)

That's cool. There's a Sam's Club in Niagara Falls, where I tend to cross the border, but I've never been in. I'm a Costco member, but not Sam's Club; and unfortunately Costco makes sure there aren't any locations in the US too near the Canadian border

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 07:02 PM)

Nope, not the battle damaged version. He got it from his cousin, whose family has a camping ground in... I wanna say new york state, but I'm probably wrong. Just across the border anyway.

@  Nevermore : (13 July 2018 - 06:36 PM)

Sam's Club exclusive was the battle damaged version, right?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 July 2018 - 06:34 PM)

He's got friends on the other side.

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 July 2018 - 06:08 PM)

where'd your nephew get a US retailer exclusive

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 04:39 PM)

Alright, I managed to identify him. The 2007 voyager class that was apparently exclusive to sam's club.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 04:20 PM)

Well, that was a nice surprise. Me nephew (the 10 year old.) just gave me an optimus prime that's minorly older than he is.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 10:25 AM)

Nah, even better. He'll be a memory of the mission briefing. Just a voice over. Four different figures in the toyline, but not actually in the movie.

@  unluckiness : (13 July 2018 - 10:06 AM)

I am 110% sure that Optimus will show up, even as a transmission or something. At least maybe we can get a cybertronian form this time.

@  Pennpenn : (13 July 2018 - 09:55 AM)

At least one Optimus sodding Prime.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 06:57 AM)

Same way as always: completely unrelated figures and models that weren't even in the movie.

@  unluckiness : (12 July 2018 - 11:47 PM)

I think that's a given, though, given the small number of transformers in Bee Movie, I wonder how they'll fill the toyline

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 July 2018 - 02:07 PM)

Yeah. I'm hoping with the new film, we might get something closer to the deluxe range

@  NotVeryKnightly : (12 July 2018 - 01:20 PM)

Isn't the Masterpiece the only recent VW G1-looking Bee?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 July 2018 - 11:02 AM)

Especially when they are questioned directly and respond by dodging the question.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 July 2018 - 11:01 AM)

Watching hypocrites parade their high ground is equally amusing and cringeworthy.

Photo

Lost Light #20 Discussion

47 replies to this topic

#1 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 8998 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:31 AM

Discuss the issue here!

#2 Creedence

Creedence
  • Citizen
  • 8652 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:30 AM

Star Saber: That's it?

#3 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2403 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:41 AM

Meh.

Unsatisfying on a few levels.  Roberts flubbed his chance to do anything interesting with Getaway. 

#4 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9081 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:47 AM

Star Saber absolutely falls into "why did you even bother bringing him back in the first place" territory, but the rest of it - Rodimus's paint burning away, Getaway getting munched to death - was on point stuff I enjoyed.

I'm acutely aware, though, of the fact that despite its essential role in this finale, the Christmas special story has never been reprinted in an MTMTE/LL trade paperback...

Edited by Chris McFeely, 11 July 2018 - 05:48 AM.

#5 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3198 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:53 AM

I thought the scraplet twist was pretty clever.

Getaway kind of went downhill as a villain after the mutineers trilogy, but I did like how he went out.
"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#6 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 975 posts
  • Location:Portland, Oregon. They promised me giant robot battles. I don't see any giant robot battles.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:10 AM

Star Saber earned the right to some serious comeuppance before dying, and I'm a little miffed he didn't get it; he's been an overtly hateful, murderous monster from the moment we met him. Instead he gets to be his same arrogant self right up to the last instant. Still, I relished that glory shot of Cyclonus chopping him in half.

So we still haven't seen Pharma. Hrmmmm.

Edited by repowers, 11 July 2018 - 08:16 PM.

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

#7 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20312 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

Yay Getaway got et. That was satisfying, which was good because I was totally not satisfied with most the rest of it.

I did laugh at the scraplet twist though.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#8 Anguirus

Anguirus
  • Citizen
  • 581 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

THAT Star Saber panel was the kind of fist-pumping breath-catching what-did-i-just-read moment that has happened, like, only 10 other times in this continuity. It was great BECAUSE it was sudden and shocking. Frankly there wasn't panel time for every villain to lament their ways on the way out the door and Star Saber is the least developed and interesting of the lot.

Granted, by the transitive property that means Cyclonus p0wns Defensor, but Roberts just plain straight-out did Defensor dirty in the first place. Just murdered him right the hell down to First Aid.

Everything else was good but the final page was lacking Nibbler crying "everyone out of the universe!"

Oh, and they still haven't revealed the Grand Architect? That had better be SOMETHING at this point. I think even Pharma would land flat.

My Transformers movie reviews: http://deadshirt.net/tag/guns-drugs-energon/

#9 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 5140 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:30 AM

No complaints here, Star Saber was always just muscle for Tyrest, crazy religious muscle, and now he gets to die like a dog. I'm fine with him going out, Cyclonus isn't the kind of guy that would waste time humiliating him anyway.

Thank god this issue had an actualy good artist too because so many scenes would've fallen flat in the hands of the usual artist.

#10 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1480 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

I've been seeing people lay blame at the lackluster fights at the artists feet and like...

bad fight choreography is not exactly something I associate with Casey hugging Coller

#11 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 21848 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:03 PM

Yeah, Roberts is just bad at fight scenes. Always has been.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#12 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2364 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

I never liked Rodimus' color scheme, glad to see it gone.

Also, not just happy to see Star Saber go out like a bitch; If JG1 fans hated his depiction, they should hate him going out like a generic even more.

"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#13 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2403 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

I think Coller's art is perfectly serviceable... but at the same time I consider it lacking a bit in flair or dynamism as compared to guys like Guidi or Matere who draw in a similar style.

Rodimus saving Getaway kind of rang hollow to me.  Rodimus has been kind of a jerk for this entire run, and deciding to be better at the last second seems like the sort of cliched thing that Roberts usually tries to avoid.

Edited by Wildwade, 11 July 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#14 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34299 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

At the end of it all re: Star Saber, Im just left asking what was the point?

What was the point of ANY of it? Why turn a major character from a particular series and turn him into a twisted, hateful fun house mirror version of himself and then do jack all with him? Why just use him as a generic adversary to show Cyclonuss bad assery? Why never address his backstory with the Circle of Light with the one character that actually has a connection to the Circle of Light? Why never elaborate on his violent religious fundamentalist history or relate it to whats going on in the present?

What purpose did completely changing this guy serve? What contribution did the character make to the series whatsoever? The fact is you could remove him entirely from the series and replace him with some random dude with a random name and absolutely nothing would change.

Stuff like the OG Star Saber has no personality or Hes just a generic hero/Optimus Prime clone as justifications are irrelevant at this point, because Star Saber himself was irrelevant. There was no need for this at all. There was no need for him at all. He doesnt even contribute a bit of unique world building or backstory.

So. Again. What was the POINT of all that?

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#15 Clutch

Clutch
  • Citizen
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

Rodimus' paint burning off was a nice thematic bit, but I do have to admit it's bittersweet since I really liked him in those colors.

#16 Primer Prime

Primer Prime

SPEAK!

• Citizen
  • 989 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:10 PM

Rodimus realizing he's not living up to the image he has of himself only after others pointing is out (advertently or inadvertently, in this case) and doing something dramatic to prove otherwise is a pretty consistent character trait for him. I wouldn't exactly call that cliche'd writing. 

I'm getting impatient for the Grand Architect Reveal. I'm calling it now though: with the Quintessons being used in Unicron and the Roberts claiming the Lost Light finale is an independent plotline, the Grand Architect(s) is(are) the IDW-Prime Functionist Council, or at least somehow related to them.

#17 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

• Citizen
  • 5140 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

What was the point of ANY of it? Why turn a major character from a particular series and turn him into a twisted, hateful fun house mirror version of himself and then do jack all with him? Why just use him as a generic adversary to show Cyclonuss bad assery? Why never address his backstory with the Circle of Light with the one character that actually has a connection to the Circle of Light? Why never elaborate on his violent religious fundamentalist history or relate it to whats going on in the present?

What purpose did completely changing this guy serve? What contribution did the character make to the series whatsoever? The fact is you could remove him entirely from the series and replace him with some random dude with a random name and absolutely nothing would change.

Stuff like the OG Star Saber has no personality or Hes just a generic hero/Optimus Prime clone as justifications are irrelevant at this point, because Star Saber himself was irrelevant. There was no need for this at all. There was no need for him at all. He doesnt even contribute a bit of unique world building or backstory.

What point is there needed? Characters get new interpretations all the time. We have fan favorites that people can't decide what their personality should be.

Roberts thought that using a guy that fights for justice as a righteous warrior would be neat, so he did it, that's all there is to it, he doesn't need to justify himself for that anymore than anyone that has ever twisted a character in media before.

#18 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 25575 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

Star Saber absolutely falls into "why did you even bother bringing him back in the first place" territory,

Also, not just happy to see Star Saber go out like a bitch; If JG1 fans hated his depiction, they should hate him going out like a generic even more.

Totally baseless conspiracy theory time: Roberts is being petty and brought back Star Saber just to double down on making JG1 fans angry.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#19 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34299 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:03 PM

What point is there needed? Characters get new interpretations all the time. We have fan favorites that people can't decide what their personality should be.

Roberts thought that using a guy that fights for justice as a righteous warrior would be neat, so he did it, that's all there is to it, he doesn't need to justify himself for that anymore than anyone that has ever twisted a character in media before.

A character needs to be more than just an end unto themselves. I've disliked the direction they took, but Swerve and Tailgate are as different as night and day from the original selves but had a purpose unto themselves that justified it in the end that contributed to the series and its themes. Star Saber did a fat lot of nothing, and what story hooks he did have with the Circle of Light went mostly unrealized with the way Dai Atlas was killed off anticlimactically and subsequently ignoring any potential with, say, Drift in favor of using him as what is little more than a Monster of the Week against Cyclonus. Twice.

Changing him so drastically is one thing, but doing it and making him utterly pointless is another.

Edited by Tyranno, 11 July 2018 - 02:03 PM.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#20 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

• Citizen
  • 5140 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

A character needs to be more than just an end unto themselves. I've disliked the direction they took, but Swerve and Tailgate are as different as night and day from the original selves but had a purpose unto themselves that justified it in the end that contributed to the series and its themes. Star Saber did a fat lot of nothing, and what story hooks he did have with the Circle of Light went mostly unrealized with the way Dai Atlas was killed off anticlimactically and subsequently ignoring any potential with, say, Drift in favor of using him as what is little more than a Monster of the Week against Cyclonus. Twice.

Changing him so drastically is one thing, but doing it and making him utterly pointless is another.

I don't particularly care about any of the flagposts you've set or will set about that when you're the same guy that has defended with tooth and bone in here shows and other media with a significantly high count of "characters with no point" simply because you have nostalgia for them or what not. Sincerely don't care enough to go on that note with you since I don't think you're objective or honest about this kind of stuff. So I will disregard what you have to say on that note on purpose.

I'm just saying that Roberts doesn't need justification to do what he did, it's Transformers, literally anyone that isn't the face of a movie poster has been fairgame to shift around for a long time now and even then we have apparently "main" franchise characters being twisted for a purpose in media. To pretend otherwise is delusional and to take issue of what Roberts did with Star Saber on a conceptual level is just silly, if not immature. I just saw two characters I love become corpses in cameos on OP 20 but I thankfully have self-awareness to the level where I can brush that aside instantly.

Edited by Boomhauer, 11 July 2018 - 02:12 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users