Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Paladin : (21 September 2018 - 11:10 AM)

random thought: has Nintendo ever made a 3DS that looks like a Pokedex? because that seems like a GOLDMINE waiting to happen...

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2018 - 03:23 AM)

Wiigii! Titans Return Grotusque for only 60 Euros (actually 70 but I somehow had an eBay gift card for reasons that escape me) with free shipping from within my own country!

@  Whirl Maximus : (21 September 2018 - 03:02 AM)

That was the plan for Predators too with the Super Predators.

@  Waspinator : (21 September 2018 - 01:46 AM)

So, apparently in the new Predator movie, the Predators don't hunt us for honor or the challenge or anything like that, but because they're stealing human DNA to modify themselves. Congrats Hollywood, on making a monster far less cool and scary.

@  Pennpenn : (20 September 2018 - 08:46 AM)

I only started playing it recently so I don't know what it was like before. Actually surprised they haven't finished the story yet. Then again, unless they introduce another world it's pretty much just Maleficent and whatever the Foretellers are playing at left.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 September 2018 - 08:30 AM)

Geeze.. I reloaded up Kingdom Hearts X for the first time in a long time. That game has massivily inflated from when I played it when it first launced in the US.

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 09:07 AM)

It's an annoying thing to have happen in any game. I'm hoping they actually finish releasing all the story mode parts before 3 comes out.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 06:24 AM)

Ahh. Hadn't played that in a long time.. Since before the PVP I think.

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 04:33 AM)

Kingdom Hearts Union Cross. Specifically the PVP fights.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 04:31 AM)

What game PennPenn

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 03:13 AM)

Man, I love it when you've got limited attempts at something in a game, said game crashes at the end of the thing, so you lose the attempt but don't get any credit.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 08:44 PM)

I know. I'm back to the classic purple for the first time since the comic theme was introduced.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 08:32 PM)

Alright thanks, gonna be weird without the speech bubble boxes but I'll manage.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 07:59 PM)

Nope, ongoing problem for a bunch of us. The mods know, so... just hunker down and wait. In the mean time: changing themes will sort it out for a bit. Only the comic theme is affected.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 05:36 PM)

Is something going on? I'm missing the buttons to go to the newest post and there's no banner for the forum list, it just says "logo" in the corner.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2018 - 06:03 AM)

Leader-1!

@  Whirl Maximus : (18 September 2018 - 02:25 AM)

"huh?" 'chuckle' in every reaction shot. That's all I remember of Armada.

@  Paladin : (16 September 2018 - 07:36 PM)

if youre looking for sympathy its in the dictionary between shit & syphilis.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2018 - 03:10 PM)

Uuuhhhhhh.......

@  Rycochet : (15 September 2018 - 11:56 AM)

Due to it's concentrated lousiness, even small doses of Energon will age you, yes.

@  Lazy Garou : (15 September 2018 - 10:32 AM)

unicron trilogy video was great, but made me feel a hundred years old.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 September 2018 - 07:32 AM)

Awesome. Good job man.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 09:30 PM)

cleaning up, mostly.but the little plastic piece where the power cable hooked up was broken. That I managed to put back together.

@  Patch : (11 September 2018 - 04:48 PM)

So he also has White Castle-like qualities?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2018 - 02:23 PM)

Just keep him away from the plumbing, he's really hard on the pipes.

@  RichardT1977 : (11 September 2018 - 01:22 PM)

Overlord has some castle-like qualities to him

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 12:15 PM)

Fix it, like, found a working power adaptor, or fix it like: there was saudering involved.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 11:58 AM)

that feeling when you fix something and works like a dream. we now have a working snes in my house and I have tested 10 games on it and they all work.

@  Arazyr : (11 September 2018 - 10:44 AM)

...Now I want a Transformer that turns into a castle.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 09:37 AM)

You should be careful man, lots of allsparkers life in castle law states. It's a good way to get shot you know.

@  ▲ndrusi : (11 September 2018 - 09:35 AM)

Which house? Mine? Dammit I thought I locked my door!

@  GrungeWerX : (11 September 2018 - 01:20 AM)

GrungeWerX in tha HOUSE!!! WOOT!!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2018 - 11:54 PM)

There's been consistently good sc-fi flicks; most just fly under the radar as lower-budget or indie pictures

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:28 PM)

If you can forget about that garbage Ghost in the Shell feature...

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:27 PM)

Upgrade is a GREAT dark sci fi throwback film. Kind of feels like the genre has been nailing some good stuff after a LONG time of drek

@  Sabrblade : (10 September 2018 - 06:34 PM)

Hey, Steve is a Vehicon!

@  abates : (10 September 2018 - 04:44 PM)

I thought it was spelled "Stege".

@  Arazyr : (10 September 2018 - 02:10 PM)

So, "I before E, except after Siege"? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 September 2018 - 01:59 PM)

Memorandum to all: the word "siege" is spelled with the "i" before the "e".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (08 September 2018 - 12:55 PM)

Happy birthday to Star Trek and Star Trek: The Animated Series!

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2018 - 07:55 AM)

*smacks TMM upside the head*

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 September 2018 - 02:51 AM)

& Knuckles.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2018 - 11:01 PM)

Re: Coded?

@  Waspinator : (07 September 2018 - 09:14 PM)

Final Fantasy: The Movie: The Game: Pocket Edition HD Boogaloo

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (07 September 2018 - 01:03 AM)

Funny thing is, I think the pocket edition graphics give the game more personality.

@  MEDdMI : (06 September 2018 - 11:10 PM)

Final Finception

@  Waspinator : (06 September 2018 - 10:29 PM)

They've made a PS4 version of Final Fantasy 15 Pocket Edition. For those keeping score, it's the PS4 version of a smartphone version of a PS4 game.

@  wonko the sane? : (05 September 2018 - 09:20 PM)

Ah HA! turns out the trick to installing the rift software was to run it as an admin. Stupid windows 10.

@  wonko the sane? : (05 September 2018 - 04:58 PM)

Awright! I got the display port working! Which means I can now connect my occulus rift!

@  MEDdMI : (04 September 2018 - 10:38 PM)

*just stares*

Photo
- - - - -

Are forums dying?

39 replies to this topic

#1 CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob
  • Citizen
  • 56 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

Do you think forums are becoming obsolete, because of Reddit, Twitter, Discord etc?

#2 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mrs. Who

• Supporter
  • 16201 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Probably mostly the ones that can't sustain themselves as forums.

Like, the Allspark is probably big enough and busy enough that it's not going anywhere, but I can totally see smaller, low volume forums just switching over to other systems.

nzo8WYb.png

#3 tec

tec

Its a Gunda..oh its a Samus

• Supporter
  • 28486 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:05 PM

This place seems to run at a fast clip

I would never see my self at redit in fact I never been there I have no need to

I hate Discord just as much as I hate Facebook to hell with that mess

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#4 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Feeling nutty, but also grainy

• Administrator
  • 47105 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:08 PM

Probably mostly the ones that can't sustain themselves as forums.

Like, the Allspark is probably big enough and busy enough that it's not going anywhere, but I can totally see smaller, low volume forums just switching over to other systems.

We've definitely lost traffic over the years, though. I think what remains to be seen is whether forums as a whole still have a niche that will keep them as a necessary part of the landscape. I think you're right that some individual forum communities could essentially outlive forums as a whole, but I think that in that scenario, where forums are just not a mode in which people expect to engage with something, it'd just be a harder and harder sell to bring in new members over time. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#5 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 2686 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:58 PM

I prefer an well-organized and moderated forum to any of the alternatives listed.  (Well, I've never tried Discord, but I really don't have the interest to either.)

Don't like how Reddit seems to encourage upvotes over actual discussion.  It works fine for images/memes, but I think discussions should rise and fall based on people's desire to contribute, rather than just clicking a button and running away.

Twitter feels like too much of a free-for-all and definitely lacks the kind of organization that I like.

I'm never going to use Facebook to engage in my hobbies because I like my anonymity.

I figure forums will die out eventually as fewer and fewer people will want to spend the money and time to really get it right, when the other options above are more popular and do a "good enough" job as-is.  That'll be a sad day, but no sense in worrying about it now.

#6 CORVUS

CORVUS

Why are you Earthlings so difficult?

• Supporter
  • 32090 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:10 PM

Ah, yeah, absolutely. And they've been dying for years.

Many smaller forums have gone the way of the dodo and shut down, or hang in this limbo state where they are still there, but nobody posts anymore.

As was mentioned, big forums are probably going to survive, but yeah. There's definitely been attrition.

"Don’t you see? Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it." - The Eleventh Doctor

#7 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 25378 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:14 PM

Bulletin Boards, Usenet, and AOL chat rooms have all fallen by the wayside.

All I know is that I like it here, and hope to stick around for as long as possible.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#8 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 27141 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:31 PM

I think there's a technical and emotional response.

It used to be hard to run a forum. Sure anyone could start up an ezboard but that came with no promise of an actual community. Plus it was much harder to find stuff online so establishing yourself as a landmark meant most would end up with you.

Now though? With competing social apps? With people going online just about anywhere? Forums are antiquated.

Just a few years ago I was involved with updating the TZ forums. The basic brief I was given was to make it more like Facebook. A chat client, in-browser games, stat trophies, etc. Tons of little rewards and distractions because trends were telling us it was what kept attention now.

Probably doesn't help that newer competing news sites snuck up and outdid us. I'm proud as hug to work for TZ but when people discuss us now it's largely to say we're past our prime.

Community wise most moved on. A lot of the people who ran the place when I first joined were college students. They graduated, started careers...shooting the shit discussing cartoons just didn't fit in anymore.

I think toy forums like this survive partly because it's a hobby that thrives on being aware. New wave spotted here! New toy has a problem, oh no! But wait, here's how to fix it! Etc

#9 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16414 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:47 PM

About five years too late to be asking this question.  Any forums that are still around are likely to continue sticking around, because the fit a niche.  Other forms of social media really aren't well-suited to extended more-or-less linear discussion.  Google Plus kinda sorta tried that, but it didn't really kill anything.

The only real downside of forum code is that it's not really suited for killfiling people who you don't want to see posts from.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#10 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5099 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:50 PM

Don't think forums will ever completely die, though usage numbers will probably end up like irc. Frankly I prefer forums over massive social media sites. Always have.

#11 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 24463 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:59 PM

Forums are dying but certain communities will continue to exist.

I think the biggest threat to fan forums is the concept of official subreddits. I mean, say you play an MMO or whatever, you'd be more inclined to post on the official subreddit where someone who works on the game might see your post than some fan forum.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#12 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 27141 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:13 AM

I worked on the official US Gundam forums.

The rest of the staff were dicks who wanted the community to be subservient to us.

#13 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4203 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:24 AM

Haha, they hated me there.

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~Coco Chanel

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#14 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2037 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

I know I've measurably come on here less since the Allspark Discord started up. Multiple times a day went to just checking in once. Still, there's enough here I can't get on discord that I don't see myself ever fully dropping it.

#15 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 10344 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

Everything has its time & everyone dies.

SUPERHERO TIME!!!! Ruining Jokes For Everyone! TWITTER: Paladin4221

#16 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 26117 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

Except me.  I'll be here forever.

xC9l3eY.gif

#17 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

The sage, the fool, the sinner

• Supporter
  • 42051 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

Have fun floating alone in the endless nothing once the last stars burn out.

#18 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 5927 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:02 PM

Forums aren't as popular as they used to be, but I think the format has its merits. ReEdit & Facebook don't appeal to me in the slightest.  Twitter is well & good, but I can't have the same sort of conversations via Twitter.  I've not any experience w/ Discord, but it doesn't look like it's for me either.

On a forum, I can post a question, or make a comment & can come back 1 week later & and catch up on the direction where the conversation went.  On other formats, this isn't as always as easy to do.  I generally prefer the easy laid back feel of forums, over something that requires more of a real time communication.

My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#19 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4665 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

I don't know what I'd do if Allspark went away.  I spend so much time here.

#20 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mrs. Who

• Supporter
  • 16201 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

We've definitely lost traffic over the years, though.

Fair. I don't have access to the numbers or really know what peak Allspark would look like.

I think what remains to be seen is whether forums as a whole still have a niche that will keep them as a necessary part of the landscape. I think you're right that some individual forum communities could essentially outlive forums as a whole, but I think that in that scenario, where forums are just not a mode in which people expect to engage with something, it'd just be a harder and harder sell to bring in new members over time. 

I think what we're seeing is similar to what happened to Tripod and Geocities websites.  That is to say that, when the ability to easily create web forums debuted, it was the easiest way for people to get together in a relatively well organized group.  EZ-Board and similar services made it something anyone could do and so everyone did.  Since then, a lot more options have sprung up and people are naturally moving to the niches that better suit them. Social media has become a diverse and prominent thing and people just don't need the forum structure as much as they used to.

I'm not sure forums are on their way out entirely, though.  Forums have their benefits and I don't see those being taken away by anything else on the market, except maybe Discord.  But even then, Discord doesn't offer quite the level of organization that a forum does.

So, yeah, forums are almost certainly getting less popular, but I'm not sure they're dying, per se.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 10 July 2018 - 07:43 PM.

nzo8WYb.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users