Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass X÷ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

@  repowers : (11 June 2021 - 11:29 PM)

Bass XO has been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

@  Echowarrior : (11 June 2021 - 09:25 PM)

Do not taunt Bass XO.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 June 2021 - 09:02 PM)

Please consult a technician before using Bass XO. Do not operate Bass XO while consuming alcohol.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 June 2021 - 04:48 PM)

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Bass XO. The last doctor is on my list.

@  Dekafox : (11 June 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Bass XO is available at these fine retailers.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 June 2021 - 02:01 AM)

Bass XO is not to be confused with Bay Sexo.

@  Fenix Twilight : (10 June 2021 - 08:38 PM)

It's good to be back, after that outage I think I'll try to post more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 June 2021 - 12:16 PM)

I think Hasbro Pulse is broken. Dang Star Wars nerds!

@  tigerhawk : (10 June 2021 - 04:46 AM)

When I googled 'space bridge' I was disappointed. Maybe in a hundred years.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 June 2021 - 04:05 PM)

Bass XO is backward compatible with the Sega Master System.

@  Donocropolis : (09 June 2021 - 05:37 AM)

Bass XO has 9" long, dagger-like teeth and a 12,000 lb. bite force

@  repowers : (08 June 2021 - 07:26 PM)

Bass XO doesn't feel pain. He can't be reasoned with!

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 June 2021 - 02:57 PM)

Bass XO has no known weaknesses.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2021 - 06:15 AM)

Base XO is definitely unstoppable.

@  Donocropolis : (07 June 2021 - 04:30 PM)

What about magnets? No one knows how they work or what they can do.

@  Bass X0 : (07 June 2021 - 02:22 PM)

Yes Cybershark, and now no force in the universe can stop us.

@  Cybersnark : (07 June 2021 - 10:03 AM)

Aaaan we're back!

@  Telly : (06 June 2021 - 09:07 PM)

its alive! AAAALIIIIIIVEEEEEE! *maniacal laugh*

@  repowers : (06 June 2021 - 02:18 PM)

WHAT!!! ALLSPARK!!! you IN LIVE!!!!!!

@  Donocropolis : (06 June 2021 - 01:53 PM)

Indeed. I was missing it.

@  Shockwave 75 : (06 June 2021 - 11:35 AM)

So glad the boards are back!

@  Echowarrior : (06 June 2021 - 07:45 AM)

It's alive! Alive!

@  wonko the sane? : (05 June 2021 - 08:32 PM)

Aw man, I missed this place...

@  Sabrblade : (05 June 2021 - 08:31 PM)

Now here in Manhattan, the spell is broken! And we live again!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (05 June 2021 - 08:16 PM)

Groovy.

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 07:23 PM)

How is everyone

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 06:42 PM)

test

@  tigerhawk : (24 May 2021 - 07:42 AM)

I'm making progress with tweezers. It's no great loss given Dai Atlas minor roles anyway, I really do prefer this mold for Titans Overlord and Sky Shadow,

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2021 - 09:57 PM)

Had that happen once. Drilled a 1 mmhole in the peg and superglued a rivet into it for something to pull on.

@  tigerhawk : (22 May 2021 - 09:44 PM)

pliers, superglue, heat, nothing has worked so far but I had to take yesterday off due to pfizer side effects.

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2021 - 07:04 AM)

is there enough plastic sticking out to yank it out with pliers?

@  tigerhawk : (21 May 2021 - 01:05 PM)

Oh great my Legends Dai Atlas fell and the gun snapped in two, the handle is stuck in the port on top of the vehicle mode.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:14 AM)

Also, our compound terms are legendary among foreigners, because we throw them together as a single word, with no spaces and usually without hyphens too.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:12 AM)

You can have straightforward sentences that are a literal word-replace translation of stuff like "I go to school", but once you throw in perfect tense and prepositions, you end up with insane constructions where the main verb is at the very end of a very long sentence, so you have to listen to the whole sentence until you have any clue what is going on.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:10 AM)

And I stand by that. German sentence structure can be utterly insane.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:10 AM)

Fun fact: When I was teaching German kids English, I kept telling them that English grammar and especially sentence structure is more logical than German.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:17 AM)

e.g. Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den was by a Chinese guy pointing out the weirdness in his own language, rather than the frustrations of somebody learning Chinese as their second. So English isn't the only case where native speakers might enocunter funky issues.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:17 AM)

Then I shall concede, and retire.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:14 AM)

I'm not sure if that's even all that unique to English.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:07 AM)

Which is why I specified those comparing learning it to learning other languages as a second language.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:04 AM)

And I don't think "ancedotal frustration" means much, considering that every language has complaints from people trying to learn it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:03 AM)

The fact that these stand out certainly makes Japanese "not a smoothie". And it's only consistent within more recent loanwords. Older ones stick out in a different way.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:00 AM)

Even writing them generally in katakana is a consistent treatment, and gives someone learning the language a general expected approach. I'd say the anecdotal frustration with English by those learning it compared to learning other languages as a second language is a demonstration that this sort of consistency and organization was not a valued thing in the past few centuries of the language's development.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 12:28 AM)

Frankly, it just sounds like you think other languages seem a certain way because you don't look into them all that much.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 12:28 AM)

It's pretty pervasive in Japanese as well, with how these feature into everyday speech.. And I don't know what you even mean by "deep", since writing them in a particular character set basically calls attention to not just their derivative nature, but their relative recency as well.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 12:25 AM)

Indeed, every language has those artifacts if you examine deeply enough, but in English they're not deep, and they're pervasive.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 May 2021 - 11:56 PM)

like Japanese using three different script types together, and more recent word borrowings tend to be in katakana.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 May 2021 - 11:51 PM)

I don't know what you mean by "cohesively". Borrowings are probably obvious if you know what to look for.

Photo
- - - - -

SDCC 2018 Transformers set: Studio Series Bumblebee with...Dile and Saur from Headmasters?

138 replies to this topic

#121 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

Looks like Ben Lai of HK-TF has a review copy:

https://www.facebook...57601982034148/

37121046_10216837965682930_2261413896113

Oof, that's some rough mold degradation there.  The original had a defined mouth.  So did the bootlegs.  Welp, I guess it definitely means they found the original molds, though.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#122 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

Msging with Phil Donnelly, who said he asked John Warden about how they got the dinocassettes back.

They're completely new tooling.

They're extrapolated from the original wooden two-ups, so they should be fairly accurate to the originals, but...

...they are new tooling.

*reads up*

also that might be why the combined form doesn't have a mouth

#123 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 13067 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:18 PM

Msging with Phil Donnelly, who said he asked John Warden about how they got the dinocassettes back.

They're completely new tooling.

They're extrapolated from the original wooden two-ups, so they should be fairly accurate to the originals, but...

...they are new tooling.
*reads up*

also that might be why the combined form doesn't have a mouth

Interesting. That they messed up the face/mouth is a mild disappointment, but I’m not keen on complaining over such a clear effort to resurrect these toys from the dead.

#124 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:24 PM

The fact they did this for freaking Dile and Zaur is mystifying.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#125 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

X-Wing: Mercy Kill

• Retired Staff
  • 10201 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:40 PM

Well, to be fair, Wardens team masturbates to the 80s.

There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is harmony. There is no death, there is the Force.

-the Jedi Code

#126 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12550 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:52 PM

Not really?

I mean... the dinocassettes are kind of holy grails in TF collecting. They're expensive, even the KOs are expensive. They're tail-enders from Japan and part of an already-established play pattern, and conveniently they ALSO fit in with the 80s theme of the giant-ass movie they're clearly hoping revives the flagging movie series.

You've got the nigh-guaranteed buys of a LOT of classic TF collectors with these, plus the likely buys of a lot more casuals when you're up front with "hey these toys were SUPER RARE now you can own them!"

And going the new-mold route means you can re-use the molds a lot more now to amortize the costs. I'd be shocked if we didn't see at least one TakTom release of them.

Honestly I'd say going that far was one of the best moves this team has made... and a damn great move for ANY team.

M "I Mean I Got My Set Preordered" Sipher

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#127 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18606 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:06 PM

Will pretend that these happening somehow magically makes a Trainbots/Raiden reissue more likely to happen.

-ZacWilliam, let me pretend...

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 21 July 2018 - 08:07 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#128 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

• Retired Staff
  • 10201 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:34 PM

Toreinbotto, shuppatsu shinkō!

(Weeps because no one will get why I posted this phrase in particular......)

There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is harmony. There is no death, there is the Force.

-the Jedi Code

#129 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 9314 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:04 AM

Will pretend that these happening somehow magically makes a Trainbots/Raiden reissue more likely to happen.

-ZacWilliam, let me pretend...

If people think everything the new team does is a complete inverse of what the old design team did, maybe there's a chance we're in the bizarro world where someone at Hasbro says "Kids LIKE trains!"

#130 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:12 AM

Not really?

I mean... the dinocassettes are kind of holy grails in TF collecting. They're expensive, even the KOs are expensive. They're tail-enders from Japan and part of an already-established play pattern, and conveniently they ALSO fit in with the 80s theme of the giant-ass movie they're clearly hoping revives the flagging movie series.

You've got the nigh-guaranteed buys of a LOT of classic TF collectors with these, plus the likely buys of a lot more casuals when you're up front with "hey these toys were SUPER RARE now you can own them!"

And going the new-mold route means you can re-use the molds a lot more now to amortize the costs. I'd be shocked if we didn't see at least one TakTom release of them.

Honestly I'd say going that far was one of the best moves this team has made... and a damn great move for ANY team.

M "I Mean I Got My Set Preordered" Sipher

I guess that makes sense. I was thinking of it too much in the area of "they weren't in the show so no one likely cares about them."

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#131 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42583 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:44 AM

They work with the 80s branding of the new movie. They work with the plot of the new movie (ie cassettes are key features in a scene or two). Another huge movie franchise, Guardians of the Galaxy, is heavily marketed on the image of the cassette as well. Combiners just sold two entire toylines for Hasbro. Dinosaurs are awesome and have also been used to sell recent toy lines.

Really it's the perfect collision of things to make this happen.

Edited by NightViper, 22 July 2018 - 06:44 AM.

#132 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 1010 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:01 AM

That's... pretty amazing. And if they're willing to do that for the tapes, and are pushing a new reissue line... implications are good?

Anyone got a set yet? I was looking at them again, and realised why the 'Metal Position' stickers - I'm not obsessed with them, I swear... - look so odd. Look at the original Saur, that area is flat, but on the new versions, it's curved, presumably for reinforcement around the pins. That surely means they won't be able to fit into anything anymore?

G1toy_saur.jpg

#133 lightsyder

lightsyder
  • Citizen
  • 1321 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:20 AM

Did they indicate whether or not they recreated the molds for the other dini cassette set as well?

#134 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

• Retired Staff
  • 10201 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:29 AM

https://twitter.com/...923369698549761

Dpy8Ns-X4AAsn0Z.jpg

Anyone own both sets and can tell me if Legout? Regguauto? is labeled in the instructions? And if so, does the same apply for his Decepticon twin? (Otuaugger?)

-the Jedi Code

#135 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 19378 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:07 AM

Neither of them is called anything in the instructions, but Camaro Bee's box namedrops "Legout" in one of the fake song titles on the back.

#136 SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster
  • Citizen
  • 776 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:21 AM

Probably wayyyy to soon to speculate on the 2019 sdcc exclusives, but I can't help but wonder if Hasbro is gonna bring back Noise and Graphy

#137 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 9217 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

Excuse me, I think you mean Noizu and Gurafi.

#138 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42583 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

And Uzion and Ifarug?

(Now I'm wondering how to say that: "If-a-rug" or "I-fahr-oog")

#139 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

• Retired Staff
  • 10201 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:21 AM

So Hasbro's Studio Series 19 Bumblebee Vol. 1 Retro Rock Garage will have a Japanese release at Tokyo Comic Con 2018 as Studio Series SS-EX Bumblebee Retro Rock Garage Set.

-the Jedi Code

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users