Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 08:42 AM)

Well we

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2020 - 06:58 PM)

Bold of you all to assume we won't wipe ourselves out in 50 years.

@  Benbot : (22 January 2020 - 04:27 PM)

There will be no UBI, people will just live in a ditch while they celebrate owning the libs.

@  Rycochet : (22 January 2020 - 03:24 PM)

In 50 years, retail will be dead because all stores are staffless fully automated operations controlled by Amazon. The UBI will be less than a fifth of what it actually costs to live after two decades of cuts and.a steadfast refusal to match inflation.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 January 2020 - 02:55 PM)

In fifty years retail will be a thing of the past through robots, printers and Universal Basic Income.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (21 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

Big retailers just don't want money anymore, so let's not give them any,

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:12 PM)

This place is a madhouse, feels like being cloned.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 January 2020 - 03:38 PM)

I took one step beyond the outer limits to the twilight zone.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 10:19 AM)

All retail is basically the same.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2020 - 10:00 AM)

Walmart just needs to go bankrupt already.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:19 AM)

They didn't put the 35th anniversary stuff back out until after new year. I'm no retail expert, but I feel like having stock on the shelf is better than the back. Especially toys at christmas time.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Yeah, my local walmart took away the 35th anniversary endcap weeks before Christmas and left the Transformer section empty well past Christmas.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Mine only has the 35th Anniversary Voyagers. A whole lot of them.

@  Telly : (19 January 2020 - 11:35 PM)

just be happy your walmart even stocks voyagers. mine doesnt

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 January 2020 - 08:53 PM)

Figures that Walmart finally restocks Studio Voyagers...with Wave ONE

@  ThunderWear : (19 January 2020 - 09:27 AM)

I snagged Rainmakers for half off.  They make me want jolly ranchers.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:34 AM)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to say I despise Ebay for showing the list prices in US money.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:23 AM)

Well there is an overpriced limited edition, but I don't want to pay that much money for it.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:21 AM)

Well great. The one Usagi Yojimbo volume I don't have and it's out of stock.

@  Rycochet : (17 January 2020 - 06:15 PM)

I both love and hate that the Alien franchise seems to have had more luck finding a niche as a line of children's toys than it has at producing worthwhile films.

@  Donocropolis : (17 January 2020 - 06:35 AM)

I've seen them on the shelves at Walmart. They're pretty great looking retro Aliens toys. https://www.walmart....-Vary/934039489

@  fourteenwings : (17 January 2020 - 01:11 AM)

IIRC somebody on here mentioned an unbranded Alien toy a couple of weeks ago? It seems like it was actually part of a collection for the Alien movie series by Lanard. Mattel's making some stuff too.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 January 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Is it really a worse name than say, HMS Spanker?

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 January 2020 - 02:36 PM)

'Boaty McBoatface' was a actual thing?! Wow.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2020 - 02:00 PM)

Might be worth bringing back this thread.

@  ThunderWear : (14 January 2020 - 01:53 PM)

Of course I had the idea to download all the pdfs like a week too late. Anyone got an archive?

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 January 2020 - 12:48 PM)

The Collector Club is dead. Seems like it all came down shortly after New Year

@  ThunderWear : (13 January 2020 - 11:06 PM)

I can't get to the collector club website. anyone else? I was literally going to download all the fiction to finish reading.

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 January 2020 - 04:50 AM)

News today is all 'there's a CHANCE it would snow in July' and 'dogs COULD bite back'.

@  Benbot : (12 January 2020 - 10:05 PM)

Holy crap, do many people get hurt by them?

@  wonko the sane? : (12 January 2020 - 02:11 PM)

Even in fallout, they never carpet bombed with nukes.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 January 2020 - 12:43 PM)

I hope the stockpiled nuclear weapons of the US and Russia are accounted for then.

@  Nevermore : (12 January 2020 - 12:22 PM)

Geez. 1760 (!) bombs from World War II that had not detonated and were still armed have been found. That's only the numbers for the federal state of Germany I live in, and only for the first three quarters of 2019. For all of 2018, the total number was 2811 (!!) bombs.

@  CVReynolds : (11 January 2020 - 11:05 PM)

I've been wanting a Tarantulas that turns into a more realistic tarantula for a long time. Maybe Takara will someday do a Masterpiece, which would be neat. But I really want to see a modernized look like in the IDW comics.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 January 2020 - 09:43 PM)

We need more Waspinators.. and rattraps.

@  Ashley : (11 January 2020 - 07:09 PM)

I'm on board with that

@  Dekafox : (11 January 2020 - 06:17 PM)

What I'm hearing is we need Cyberverse Waspinator

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 January 2020 - 01:27 AM)

He's appeared across more branding changes than Waspinator, so maybe it's more the other way around.

@  Ashley : (10 January 2020 - 12:01 AM)

is C3PO the Waspinator of Star Wars? he'll live forever, because it's funny for him to suffer

@  Sabrblade : (09 January 2020 - 11:52 PM)

He's still waiting for them to be funny.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 January 2020 - 10:35 PM)

Why?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 04:02 PM)

I've been watching South Park, Family Guy and The Simpsons with a straight face for a decade now.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 January 2020 - 03:18 PM)

If that's what it takes to get you to take the medication, sure.

@  Bass X0 : (09 January 2020 - 01:52 PM)

If I go crazy, will you still call me Superman?

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 11:37 AM)

I mean, it is easier to protect HDDs, and you can retransfer the data over and over forever?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (09 January 2020 - 10:45 AM)

Not in this comparison. He's making his own files, so they're (presumably) not restricted by DRM, so he can copy them as many times as he wants. It's potentially more reliable in the long term than hoping the specific copies you originally bought never accrue any damage for the rest of your life.

@  Echowarrior : (09 January 2020 - 10:44 AM)

I prefer physical copies too. Easier to protect something physical and tangible.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 09:55 AM)

I prefer having physical copies.

Photo
- - - - -

Frustrated with windows 10. So I'mma vent a bit.

50 replies to this topic

#1 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42618 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

Alright, it's been a long day with this festering pile of horse dung, and I'm going to share the journey!

In early february, I upgraded my system to windows 10. I didn't really want to, but I had purchased a rather expensive game controller, and needed to "upgrade" from windows 7 to make full use of the thing, because, of course, the software would only run on windows 10.

I got maybe 3 weeks of normal run time out of it before I ran into a constant stream of failed updates. These failed updates would be not only be constantly rebooting the machine, but increasing the boot time because it would try to start, try to update, fail, and consequently have to restart and then UNDO the attempted changes. Bringing start up time from about a minute to 5 minutes a piece, and restarting at least three times a day in an attempt to update.

While I was able to get some of them installed properly, it would routinely fail within a few days and start the process over again, and because it couldn't get in the cumulative updates, my system was falling farther and farther behind on supposedly necessary system and security updates. To make matter worse, the routine failures of the windows updater is a known problem to microsoft, who simply refuses to admit there's a problem. Consequently; the only help that exists for these failed updates is what the individual users can work out solutions and then share. Finally, I stopped caring, and stopped trying to fix it. It was stressing and frustrating for nothing. Thankfully, my internet isn't metered, because upwards of 2 gigs a day of downloading shit from microsoft would get expensive otherwise. That's right. It would redownload the update every single time it failed.

Skip ahead a bit. I'm gearing up for the addition of VR equipment to my system. I went and put "something like minecraft but with VR" into google, and discovered to my joy that the windows 10 edition of minecraft actually does support the three major styles of VR system. Awesome, being an early adopter of minecraft AND having maintained my mojang account, I was entitled to the windows 10 cut free. Hop onto the windows store (ugh. this stupid hugging thing never works.) to download and sure enough: minecraft fails to install off the windows store. Put the error code into google, and get told a couple of apparently common reasons it's screwing up and how to fix them. Run through them all making absolutely no difference. I cannot get the windows store to download the game I legitimately own, and there is absolutely no help to be found.

I reason it out a touch. It's possible that because my system is so far behind in system updates, that I can't download it. Alright, I need to update the system. So I look it up. Apparently, there is an update assistant to get people up to the last major edition. There's even three different ways to install it. So I get to work on it.

Go on, guess my results. Go on.

Exactly right. All three hugging ways FAIL! All of them get within 5% of done, and inevitably: fail. Sometimes there's an error code. Mostly not. Roll your dice, download it all again and pray, maybe swing a chicken carcass over your tower, cause voodoo makes about as much sense as this shit does.

I'm flat out downloading the ISO for the last major build now. I will burn it to disc, and do a full install that way. Thankfully, nothing but the games I wanted to be optimal and my programs are on the primary drive, the SSD. I'm not losing overly much or anything that can't be quickly replaced. Again: thankfully my internet isn't metered. I'm not looking forward to downloading fallout 4 again, or the nearly 200 mods I have for it, or reinstalling it all, but I just want this stupid, useless piece of shit to actually work RIGHT for once. I'd jump right back to windows 7 if I wasn't about to get an occulus rift.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#2 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2266 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

My understanding is that if you actually get that failing update that Microsoft knows about to install, a large percentage of the time it causes some kind of issue with the USB ports. I officially gave up; I just always tell it "no" when it asks me if I want to restart.  I figure at some point down the road they'll fix the issue, probably by accident with another update.  So for now, I just use it the way it is.

It's still better than 8.0 or 8.1.

While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#3 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1683 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

That... Sounds an awful lot like my experience trying to get Ubuntu running on an old Vista laptop. I'd switch that puppy to Win10 in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pay for the upgrade.

I think the April Windows 10 service pack borked a lot of things. Part of the problem with doing "major" updates twice a year; windows is not OSX and MS is not Apple and they haven't quite figured out how to do things that way.

You're probably better off trying to do a fresh install. Especially since Windows update doesn't seem to be working correctly for you. I've had to do that with each major update up until this last one, because MS would never send the updates to my PC (Anniversary, Creators, etc.). Microsoft - despite being, you know, Microsoft - just doesn't seem to have their acts together. Which is a shame, because Win10 isn't a bad OS, and I can see where they want it to be, but they pushed it out way too early.

Hopefully the fresh install fixes things for you!

~Marduk

#4 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42618 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:43 PM

I'm hoping too. And it's in fact the april update I'm trying to get installed, but doesn't want to. Just gonna have to brute force it. It'll more than likely end in another stream of failed updates: but at least it'll be a different set of problems for a while.

Edited by wonko the sane?, 24 June 2018 - 09:43 PM.

#5 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4463 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:08 AM

I seem to remember getting stuck in a loop of failed updates, once. Can't recall if that was Windows 7 or 10; it was at least a couple years ago. Needless to say, it eventually got sorted out on its own, somehow.

The April update caused me a completely different problem: The entire system freezes up for a fraction of a second every few seconds. I know this mainly because this includes the audio, which stutters. It's basically rendered the system useless for games or media of any sort. If I had another hard drive to spare, I'd see if a fresh install is enough to fix the issue; as it is, I have way more stuff I'd have to back up (if I even still have room to) and reinstall. Luckily for you, it seems to be one of those magical bugs that's caused by me being singled out by the technology gods and affects no one else on the planet.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#6 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42618 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:13 AM

Yeah, cause failing on literally every new system update is that common. I'm still hitting that 1-in-a-million benchmark as most people only have the update fail once in a while. The fact is: windows 10 is built like hot garbage, and the requirements for most people either mean they cannot switch out, or they don't know enough to be able to go after another operating system. Or they just can't afford to switch to the major competition, macs are not cheap.

#7 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42618 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

And microsofts shit show continues!

Last night, before bed, I used the media creation tool (the only official way to download an actual ISO of windows systems.) to bring down the 1803 X64 cut of windows 10, and burned it to disc to use this morning. This morning, I drop in the disc, restart the computer and I swear to hugging god; it was a windows 7 installer. Not only did this waste my limited supply of DVD's (a ever harder to find commodity since verbatim went belly up.), but it's wasted my time. I was going to get the install done this morning, and spend the rest of the day slowly getting all my shit reinstalled. Now I have to figure out where this POS hugged the dog, and download another new copy (this will be the fifth time in 24 hours.) of the new cut of windows 10.

God damn it. I have never wanted to just walk away so badly.

#8 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14617 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:25 AM

As someone who helps provide support for 150 unsupervised PCs across three locations, yeah, Windows' recent updates can shove it.

Yep.

#9 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50637 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

That... Sounds an awful lot like my experience trying to get Ubuntu running on an old Vista laptop.

This is frankly the biggest thing I think with these kinds of threads, in that no matter how good or bad the OS, there will be things you have to know, things you have to be ginger with, and things that can still unexpectedly eat themselves or have unexpected conflicts despite the best of plans. 

I haven't had any serious problems in my limited use of Windows 10 myself outside of the upgrade tool from 7 being a total loss. Updates are terribly frequent and frustrating but haven't caused any actual problems for me other than, you know, the update tool considering itself the highest priority in the universe, and I understand why Microsoft doesn't allow a lot of user input on that no matter how frustrating it happens to be for me.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#10 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42618 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

FINALLY got the 1803 update installed, and am in the process of getting all my other software back onto the system. The longest bit will be the games, but only two of them were actually on the SSD, so I just need steam to finish updating so I can point it towards the alternate harddrive directory and at least get some of my games back. But it'll be a long wait on fallout 4 and skyrim to get back down.

It also turns out that I the seemingly windows 7 disc I downloaded  wasn't the right iso. Apparently the media creation tool went and stuck the proper one in documents instead of downloads, so I burned an old disc image from way back when. Still about an hour behind where I would have liked to be, but at least I'm back online, and hopefully have the worst of this "attempt and fail, repeat ad nauseum" bullshit behind me.

#11 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6377 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:26 AM

What I really like are the major Windows 10 updates restoring network share settings to their defaults and re-enabling the Windows managed default printer feature.

#12 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42618 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:41 AM

I'm thoroughly enjoying the fact that all the major windows updates restores all the default installed crap I had already taken the time to scrape out of the system. Bloat up the updates nicely that one.

Edit: and apparently, they changed how you turn off all the live tiles. I don't want that crap hanging off my start menu. I used shortcuts for a reason!

Edit2: At least I was right. I am currently downloading minecraft windows 10 edition as we speak. Hell of a long way to go for virtual blocks.

Edit3: And I absolutely love how the windows store is lying to me. "Oh yeah, I'm pulling your software down at 20.6 MBS. You'll have it in no time!" I've never even gotten on 1 mbs on this throttled, capped and thoroughly overwatched connection. If your connection crashed, just hugging tell me you crashed and I'll restart you. Don't lie to me.

Edited by wonko the sane?, 25 June 2018 - 10:51 AM.

#13 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4660 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

If Apple hadn't completely neglected its Mac division these past couple years...I'm REALLY not sure I would have bothered replacing the $100 Lenovo from last Christmas with a Dell XPS 13.  But I'm damn sure not about to spend a grand on a computer with specs 2-4(!) years.

I've found Windows 10 to work well enough, better than my experiences in the Vista era, but I have NEVER found a sound reason to regret making a Mac my "core" machine.  It's not perfect, but I have had less issues with my iMacs than I ever had with ANY Windows machine EVER.  It still baffles me people at work who have Apple everything, except a Mac.

Thus far I've not had any major issues with Windows 10 aside from being a bloated mess which requires WAY more attention than it really should.  Updates also take far longer than they should given my internet connection and are excessive to a ridiculous point.

#14 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1683 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

I'm thoroughly enjoying the fact that all the major windows updates restores all the default installed crap I had already taken the time to scrape out of the system. Bloat up the updates nicely that one.

What I find hilarious is that this doesn't happen uniformly.

I uninstalled Candy Crush immediately after getting Windows 10.  Haven't seen it come back since.  Meanwhile you can find like a million posts online complaining about it happening every time.  It's like MS is doing some sort of weird social experiment or something, trying to see who breaks first.

Win10 is so close to being good, but it fails at even the basic things (Photos is still unusable and it launched in 2015).

~Marduk (and File Explorer is just a sea of white and terrible fonts)

#15 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42618 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

Photo's, mail, groove, calendar, most of their core software is, at best, utter garbage, and at worst unusable garbage. Cortana was just an attempt to keep up with siri, and I never use it. I go to great lengths to not only shut it off, but strip it as completely from usage as it possible. And the audacity of some of it. Solitaire was their most used program, and was free and largely unchanged until windows 10, now you have to have a subscription to turn off the ads... in solitaire. It's solitaire, the entire point is to be left ALONE.

Plus they went and stripped out lots of basic core and aesthetic functionality that people still want and find useful. Like the ability to dictate which images to use in the one folder on the desktop slideshow, and the in built dual monitor support (but to be fair, they pulled out the best version of that back in 7. XP had the best version of it I had ever seen.). Not everyone has a touch screen, wants a touch screen, or wants those stupid tiles: but you cannot turn them off outright.

The microsoft help forums have been full of people complaining that they want a windows 10 that works and acts like windows 7 since 10 dropped, and their requests have been outright ignored as it's not what microsoft wants to do with their GUI. Fine, it is theirs to do with as they please: but surely they can see that more people than not hate the failed LCARS thing they have going now.

Edited by wonko the sane?, 25 June 2018 - 11:58 AM.

#16 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1683 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

Photos is one of two reasons that I'll be looking to OSX for my next computer, budget allowing. You can't reliably get Windows Live Photo Gallery anymore and I'm 100% not interested in subscribing to Adobe just so I can manage my collection of bad toy pictures.

(The other is Win10 fonts. They just aren't as easy to read as OSX, and I need to do everything I can to avoid eye strain these days.)

MS shipped it too early. They panicked over the bad Win8 press and instead of taking the time to completely rewrite their OS and ship it, they decided to do it piecemeal. So nothing really seems ready or "complete," especially when it comes to universal apps, which should have been ready day one.

It's not a bad OS. It's just not great.

~Marduk

#17 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50637 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

I don't get it personally. People wanted a Windows that looked and worked like Windows 7 since Windows 8 dropped. Microsoft released such a system and called it Windows 10. 

I'm also not sure what you mean about the dual monitor support. I've never had to fuss with anything beyond telling it which display was on which side and which to make the primary.

I have exactly one thing pinned to my Start menu, and it's the recycle bin, since it's inexplicably included in neither the search and launch nor the locations list in Windows Explorer. I have no tiles. 

I find the remaining split between modern UI apps and the rest of the system pretty laughable, especially when it's the settings managers for overlapping things, the store was DoA, and God knows the nagifications are tiring, but nothing is any worse than I expect from Windows.

It's cosmetically different in the way that 7 is from Vista from XP, because that's how reality. But it's the same damn thing as Win7.

Edit: A decent default photos app would be nice but surely there's a third-party one out there amongst the eleventy billion Start menu hacks?

Edited by Copper Bezel, 25 June 2018 - 12:15 PM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#18 RackhamTheBugbear

RackhamTheBugbear

Have you seen a purple bard around here?

• Citizen
  • 1837 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:21 PM

This is the literal reason why I went to linux and never looked back.
Look, look... I'm going to be honest with you. 99 percent of everything I say and create is a reference.

Also apparently I sound like Dusty Rhodes.

#19 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50637 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

Is it really? The main boot on my main machine that I use 99% of the time is Ubuntu. I hear literally all of the same complaints all of the time and have roughly the same problems, except the ones where Windows is simply a flawed design at a fundamental level in ways that have been true since, like, the NT kernel was written. 

#20 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1683 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:14 PM

Edit: A decent default photos app would be nice but surely there's a third-party one out there amongst the eleventy billion Start menu hacks?

Last I checked there are editors and some managers, but nothing quite like Windows Live Photo Gallery or OSX Photos.  That may have changed, though. 

Photos is good at what it does.  I guess it just doesn't work for me, personally. Keywords are still done via File Explorer, and Photos doesn't seem to let you search by keyword, so I'm not really sure how it's supposed to "organize" things.

I like Windows 10 for what it is.  Heck, I like it better than Windows 7 (note: I liked Vista, so I'm not sure my opinion is valid here :D).  After being mostly OS X since 2012, I'm probably just more used to Apple's annoying quirks than Microsoft's.

~Marduk (And the font thing, but that's mostly my eyes)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users