Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:05 PM)

i wish theyd dub double zeta. thats the only one im missing for the "amuro vs char" thing (and chars not even in it so...). but given some of the things ive heard about it, its probly best that they dont dub it

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:02 PM)

and im on vacation next week so ill have lots of time to watch all this lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:01 PM)

@zaku ive got war in the pocket on standard dvd already. amazon didnt have it on blu ray. bonus points to it for having character designs by haruhiku mikimoto. and this collecction is only "new" in as much as its new to me on blu ray. ive had burnt dvd copies of it all for years

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 09:44 PM)

Yeah, 00 was pretty good, and I recently watched Build Divers, and found it really fun. Got both limited editions of IBO... still need to watch them...

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:30 PM)

00 is also pretty good, basically a refined version of the Wing concept, and IBO is great.

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:29 PM)

I'll be the requisite "Build Fighters is actually pretty good" chime in

@  MEDdMI : (24 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

G Gundam was the best. Horse mecha! Piloted by.... a HORSE!

@  ZakuConvoy : (24 April 2019 - 07:31 PM)

I'd probably recommend tracking down 0080 War in the Pocket to go along with your new collection, but you might have enough to watch for right now.

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

G Gundam will likely always rank first for me, as it is the one I find the most fun, but 8th MS was great for being the most "realistic" of the UC stuff.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:17 PM)

the only other gundam series ive watched-which was also the FIRST gundam series i watched-is wing (and ill probly get that on blu ray soon too). i know i havent watched everything tied to it, but the UC is quite enough for me lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:14 PM)

i think 8th team is my favorite, but cant say why. maybe it has something to do with them not being newtypes. i dont particularly like that concept

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:11 PM)

8th M Team, 0083, and Zeta are my favorites of the original timeline. Have yet to watch Origin, but it is loooow on my list, as I never particularly liked Char. Quattro Bajeena was actually kinda cool, though.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 05:49 PM)

so i just did something insane. i bought gundam origin, first gundam, 08th ms team, operation stardust, zeta gundam AND chars counterattack on bluray...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Hollywood stereotypes, eh? Don't get me started on how sheerly unrealistic that can be, and how badly Hollywood loves to stick to them.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:44 PM)

Also, fun fact: To me, Dutch is the language that sounds harsh compared to German.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:37 PM)

Generally, nobody shouts at each other in Germany unless they're either a) morons or b) doing it for comedic effect.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:36 PM)

... based on an outdated way of speaking (I mean, does anyone in the US still speak like Joe Friday?)... which might also have been at least partially a regional thing.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Generally, many native English speakers' primary conception of the German language and its perceived harshness comes from Hollywood movies... created by non-native German speakers, with non-native German actors giving their impression of what they think the German language sounds like...

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:33 PM)

I might be severely biased, but as a native German speaker, I think the perception of the "harsh German language" is at least in part due to a myth created by Hollywood.

@  Pinkcolliebot : (24 April 2019 - 05:32 PM)

I wish I knew if that Blue autobot in the background in the movie Bumblebee was Blurr.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Blood is blue before coming into contact with air from outside.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 April 2019 - 09:50 AM)

I had to use a whole ten percent of my brain to understand that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 April 2019 - 08:32 AM)

I think I saw a debunking of that like at least a decade ago when I still relied on TV for things.

@  Paladin : (24 April 2019 - 08:21 AM)

isn't the whole "lemmings jump to their death" thing proven false now too???

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2019 - 03:05 AM)

It's like how the whole "alpha male" thing doesn't really show up in wolf packs in the wild.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 01:54 AM)

Aaaaand another myth busted.

@  CORVUS : (24 April 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Quite welcome! :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 09:51 PM)

@Corvus Huh, did not know that part. Thanks for imparting knowledge!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 09:27 PM)

No because it's true.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 April 2019 - 09:17 PM)

Would I be jaded if i said that's a good lesson about people as well?

@  CORVUS : (23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM)

Overstated risk. Most observations of sexual cannibalism in the Praying Mantis occurred in captivity, versus nature. When entomologists began observing them in nature instead, they found that sexual cannibalism took place around 30% of the time. Basically, if a male Mantis avoids thin, hungry females, his chances are pretty good. #yesimanerd

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

Are you a male mantis?

@  MEDdMI : (23 April 2019 - 07:27 PM)

Death by snu snu

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 06:40 PM)

There's a joke about going out with a bang to be made here.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 06:38 PM)

I would hope getting laid is preferred over dying :p

@  Nevermore : (23 April 2019 - 05:20 PM)

Don't we all want to get laid?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 04:53 PM)

I'd spend the first few loops just taking an extended nap.

@  Dekafox : (23 April 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Endless death time loops certainly happen enough in Star Trek

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 03:50 PM)

That's not what I had in mind but if that is what you would do in that scenario then that is pretty messed up. I would not want to be stuck in a perpetual loop of death. More like getting laid but that is just me.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 01:58 PM)

Happy death day to you!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 01:45 PM)

.... I would love that. To be stuck in an endless loop where no one remembers what happened... The possibilities :D

@  ZakuConvoy : (23 April 2019 - 01:43 PM)

Are you stuck in a Groundhogs Day situation? Because if you are, you need to tell the rest of us so we can take advantage, too.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 11:10 AM)

Lol today needs to end asap so that I can start over tomorrow

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

Photo

Lost Light #18 Discussion

61 replies to this topic

#1 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9482 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:34 AM

Discuss the issue here!

#2 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20873 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:58 AM

Welp quest over. Yay?

ty3jHaa.jpg

#3 Broadside

Broadside

Crack Calibre Laser-Blazer Broadside

• Staff
  • 10854 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:00 AM

And then Hound was a zombie.

3nAcIwa.png

#4 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22654 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:01 AM

So Nightbeat just straight up died, I guess.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#5 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12379 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:05 AM

Chris McFeely said on Twitter that this issue was very Red Dwarf like, and he's correct. Red Dwarf often liked something to turn out to be a fairly innocuous thing from the past gone horribly wrong through abandonment. That things could be more and in some ways less than they seem.

And we shouldn't be surprised really, this is the writer of Eugenesis, and it goes down a very similar ideological path - that your religion is probably just something mundane that has been horribly misunderstood. That some of the trappings of it are quite simple and have been deified by time and myth. MTMTE has always borrowed quite a bit from Eugenesis. Maybe we shouldn't have assumed it would always take more. And I like that.

There's a lot to like here. There's some movement, and some resolution. Some worldbuilding. And lots still to do. While a key mystery is resolved there's still lots going on, and important stuff to tie up. There's some nice character moments too.

On a neutral level I expect some people to hate the Tailgate piece. And if it's not explained later on, I'd hate it too. But I trust it will get a better explanation than "power of love, don't look too hard". Some people will probably compare this to Starbuck in Battlestar, but this isn't really compatible (and Starbuck IS explained, people just don't like the explanation. It's also bittersweet, and not a happy ending out of nowhere).

I name drop for Tyrest means he's probably coming back in the next few issues, which is great. But not mentioning him for yonks and then bringing him up all of a sudden just before his reappearance does feel a bit off pacing wise. All these things we've lost since the page count reduction. Sigh.

The minus side, for what is essentially the closure off of the key plot of the book it's *very* tell don't show. It's a pile of exposition, without even a villain or anything to drive the reveal. And it all comes at once. It's obvious that Roberts got sick of people guessing the twists on message boards in Season 1, but he retreated to giving less hints as a result and that's just no damned fun to actually read because it feels like resolutions come out of nowhere. This would have all felt a bit more natural if a few bits had been dropped previously. Some of this is no doubt because the series is being wrapped up a season early (using Roberts' oft cited "shortcut"), but even then it's another piece where this run of books has been hurt over last few years by IDW's editorial meddling with the renaming mess and the early cancellation. Which seems in part to have been caused by the dropping sales from the renaming mess.

And I'm afraid I've got to say that again the art lets this issue down. I feel like the plunge from space towards Mederi should be this grand vista. This is a hugely important moment. Instead it looks like they're floating towards a beach ball with a supermarket logo on it :-/

#6 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6767 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:03 AM

Well that was interesting. I spent most of the issue thinking "okay this isn't one of the baaad issues, the flirty banter is fun and there's nothing too obnoxious happening" and then bam! We suddenly found the thing by accident and achieved the whole purpose of the original journey?

If it's not another classic Roberts fakeout bullshit, then... I think I'm okay with it. It's a cool low-key resolution to the Knights story and it makes more sense than a lot of other possible conclusions.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#7 DocChloroplast

DocChloroplast

I think you underestimate the depths of my pettiness

• Citizen
  • 793 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:10 AM

Turns out the real Cybertopia was the friends we made along the way.

dFdY.png

Magaroja on TFWiki | Buying POTP Prima Prime, either version

Rest in Peace our darling Rydia, 1998 - Sept. 2, 2018

#8 Broadside

Broadside

• Staff
  • 10854 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

So, about the last page...

Spoiler

3nAcIwa.png

#9 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3848 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:18 AM

I think maybe the idea is that Getaway and company also flew to Mederi?

....... and maybe their secret dream was to become sparkeaters?

#10 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

• Staff
  • 9482 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

This issue was... I dunno. It wasn't at all bad, definitely not disappointing in the way that lots of Lost Light's story endings have been for me, but it didn't really have a huge impact on me either.

The big revelation only really got a "huh, interesting" out of me. It's a cool sci-fi concept, no doubt, but the lack of connection to anything that's come before and the fact that it was delivered with a Remain-in-Light-tier "everyone sits in a room explaining the plot to each other" sequence kinda took the oomph out of it for me?

Like a bunch of stuff that's happened since the LL relaunch, I guess I have to say "well, he's probably going somewhere with this" and put my initial reaction to one side for the time being.

#11 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 1809 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

Spoiler

To be honest...

Spoiler

#12 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

• Staff
  • 9482 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

My first thought on the ending, especially given the matching pair of Roche covers for next issue, is that we're seeing a "both sides are tricked into seeing the other side as something scary" scenario.

#13 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26478 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:46 AM

I think maybe the idea is that Getaway and company also flew to Mederi?

....... and maybe their secret dream was to become sparkeaters?

Maybe Getaway started twirling his mustache even harder and turned everyone he didn't like into sparkeaters.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#14 Prime Radiant

Prime Radiant

TFWiki: Flawlessvoid.

• Citizen
  • 192 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

I feel a bit underwhelmed by the reveal, such as it is. But looking back, I'm not sure how I expected to feel. I think I wanted the buildup of 6 years' worth of stories to combine into some kind of mega-epiphany. I mean, I was looking for an Enigma-of-Combination-style epiphany.

What I got was an explanation that basically makes sense. As I read it, I was doing a tentative nod, thinking "ehhh yeah okay sure." But it was a far cry from "whoa that senator was Shockwave!?" and "whoa Rodimus helped secretly stash Overlord in the Lost Light!?" It was more like "Okay we know Tarn is Roller. Oh wait he's that guy instead? Ah k."

Also, with the degree of exposition to explain the reveal, I'm less convinced that the remaining outstanding questions (including: Ratchet fading out? Ten could speak? Tailgate is actually here somehow? Did Scorponok, Getaway, and Rodimus all converge onto the same Mederi?) are going to be "show don't tell".

I am looking forward to Pharma being in charge of a murderous medical facility though. And the banter was funny.

Edited by Prime Radiant, 13 June 2018 - 09:55 AM.

Believing I had not miscalculated was the first miscalculation.

#15 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3848 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure that this is going to be the real truth behind Cyberutopia; it all seems a little TOO neatly tied up...

#16 Broadside

Broadside

• Staff
  • 10854 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:05 AM

Spoiler

To be honest...

Spoiler

All plausible! It's just the line "anything but them" that made me think otherwise - Rodimus is outright stating that this is the Worst Possible Scenario.

3nAcIwa.png

#17 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9196 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:17 AM

I'd swear that line, "Not them, please, anything but them!" is a direct quote from something (with the pronouns changed) but I can't place it.

#18 Tailgreat

Tailgreat
  • Citizen
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

I really liked Whirl's small character bit of defending Cyclonus, but god willing there had better be an actual explanation for why Tailgate came back. I like the guy (no duh) but that doesn't mean I want the story to  break its spine to give him a happy ending.

Otherwise I'm guessing a lot of the reveals in this issue are predicated on having read the other IDW Transformers comics because I was lost.

#19 General Tekno

General Tekno

BRUNT; F.C.A.!

• Citizen
  • 2032 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

Well, in any case, we still don't know who Scorponok's boss is.

Or what grabbed Pharma's body.

I do suspect this end of the quest is the "break in case of emergency" Roberts has been holding onto for years though. Not that this is rushed, but that it's an ending he worked out ages ago and is easy to slot in to end the story if need be.

I really liked Whirl's small character bit of defending Cyclonus, but god willing there had better be an actual explanation for why Tailgate came back. I like the guy (no duh) but that doesn't mean I want the story to  break its spine to give him a happy ending.

Otherwise I'm guessing a lot of the reveals in this issue are predicated on having read the other IDW Transformers comics because I was lost.

Not so much? Optimus Prime is doing its own thing with the Primes and setting up Unicron right now.

Roberts actually tweeted last night too that LL isn't tying in with that story, but is its own finale.

banner_2015.png

BT Toons - updates Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Blog | Youtube | Twitter | DeviantArt | Tumblr

#20 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9196 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

Some of this is no doubt because the series is being wrapped up a season early (using Roberts' oft cited "shortcut")

I have to say I think any notion that this is happening "early" or via the cited "shortcut" is blowing things greatly out of proportion. The "shortcut" was for if the hammer dropped suddenly with little time to go, whereas it seems very unlikely either Barber or Roberts entered their third seasons with the belief they would be getting a fourth. Season three/Lost Light essentially set itself on course for this ending as soon as it went out of its way to introduce characters tied to the Grand Architect on the first page of its first issue and everything it's been doing since then has been building to this point.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 13 June 2018 - 10:51 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users