Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Waspinator : (17 December 2018 - 12:29 AM)

I'd say it's more of a crushing sensation than a sucking one.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 December 2018 - 09:57 PM)

Whole heartedly agree.

@  Paladin : (16 December 2018 - 07:22 PM)

migraines suck.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2018 - 04:39 PM)

They may have had it earlier than that; Risa uses weather control tech to maintain its resort-style climate, and it was shown to already be established in the late 22nd century

@  wonko the sane? : (16 December 2018 - 03:13 PM)

By next gen they had weather control on earth, and were even in the process of upgrading the geologic stability network. So yeah: habitat maintenance on the next level.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 December 2018 - 02:51 PM)

Something something invert polarity something technobabble something.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2018 - 02:38 PM)

I imagine World War III managed to decimate enough of the industrial economies that they inadvertently managed to exceed their carbon reduction targets from the Paris Accords, and then by the time Earth got back on its feet after the development of warp drive and first contact with the Vulcans, electricity was able to be generated cleanly and much more efficiently

@  The Doctor Who : (16 December 2018 - 01:48 PM)

I mean, they have futuristic weather control satellites and everything, I would imagine that global warming is a thing of the past in Trek.

@  unluckiness : (16 December 2018 - 09:39 AM)

How's that unrealistic? Not even the ocean wants it.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 December 2018 - 01:35 AM)

The most unrealistic thing (from a U.S. perspective) is that Florida isn't underwater!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 December 2018 - 01:35 AM)

I was reminded today of a funny thing about Star Trek:

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 09:58 PM)

Whatever they can sell it for?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 December 2018 - 09:48 PM)

Geez, WTF do those China sellers on eBay need my phone number for?

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 09:44 PM)

Does the PotP voyager Starscream's chest stick out so far in combiner torso mode? It's kinda weird how much Elita Infinite's back seems so empty up top but very... protruding lower down.

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 01:26 AM)

Trying to fit Elita One's combiner head back into her torso is a pain in the arse (and not just because her torso becomes her arse in combiner torso mode)

@  RichardT1977 : (14 December 2018 - 10:04 PM)

Power corrupts and corruption empowers.

@  Echowarrior : (14 December 2018 - 07:10 PM)

Welcome to real life...at least until enough people get fed up and they break out the guillotines.

@  Pennpenn : (14 December 2018 - 06:58 PM)

It's almost as if the people with the most money have funneled money into making the systems of government and law serve their purposes in retaining their wealth, no matter how harmful, counterintuitive, or just flat out evil they have to be. Huh.

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:49 PM)

https://www.motherjones.com/media/2015/10/mother-jones-vandersloot-melaleuca-lawsuit/

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:45 PM)

Some states have laws against that, but they're in a tiny minority. There are plenty of cases where rich people have gone after journalists and their employers for accurate reporting, lost, but still left their targets saddled with hundreds of thousands ofdollars in legal fees and no hope of recovering anyof the money because a partisan judge has decreed that while they're innocent, they're not innocent enough.

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:43 PM)

The american system is as bad, there are plenty of cases of billionaires or corporations filing libel suits purely to kill reporting or activisim against their activities. SLAPP suits. Strategic Lawsuits against public participation.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2018 - 12:48 PM)

e.g. British libel laws place the burden of proof on the accuser, which is how we wind up with Emirati billionaires suing Western journalists in British courts

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2018 - 12:46 PM)

Never visited the UK in my life, but reading about British laws in the news gives me the vibe that British culture inherently protects the wealthy and established.

@  Anonymous X : (14 December 2018 - 12:39 PM)

Sounds a lot better than labour law in the UK. It's bare minimum standards here, you don't get any employment rights as such in the first two years of employment (and the employer can arbitrarily reset the clock). Unions are limited to a few public sector professions as well; in the private sector, there basically aren't any unions.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:25 PM)

Bonus points if your company has a works council. The employer is required by law to hear the works council prior to giving you your termination. The works council cannot prevent your termination if the employer really insists on going through with it, but if the employer failed to hear the works council, didn't wait for the works council to respond, or failed to tell the works council *all* the relevant details, the termination is legally invalid due to a technicality.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:23 PM)

The employer has to tell you the reason for your termination if you explicitly ask for it, and if you can prove the reason is factually incorrect, the employer may lose the case.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:21 PM)

For all its flaws, I really like a lot about our German labor law. Here, if you're under a permanent contract and have been continually employed for over six months, employers can only fire you for reasons that fall into one of three categories defined by law, and the burden of proof is on the employer's side in a potential court case.

@  Paladin : (13 December 2018 - 05:38 PM)

in brightest day or blackest night?

@  Bass X0 : (13 December 2018 - 05:25 PM)

Finally we get a Greenlight toy.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 December 2018 - 04:58 PM)

See.. In America they would just fire you for having the wrong color shoes on or some BS reason.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:13 AM)

And hey, in addition to the clocked extra hours, I earned an additional 50% overtime bonus.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:12 AM)

This past Saturday, in full expectance of a strike this week, I worked a full extra shift. They assigned me and some of the other volunteers to a totally pointless task, while some ladies were seriously sweeping the floor. When asked how long I was planning to stay, I smiled and said "a full shift!"

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:10 AM)

"You were asking for volunteers, right? I'm staying." - "But we have no more work for you!" - "I don't see how that's *my* problem..."

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:10 AM)

It's possible to use that to troll the employer a little, though... Once they allow voluntary overtime, they cannot backtrack from that. So once you notice you're rapidly running out of work, you just decide to do overtime out of spite.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:08 AM)

Now if there's *no* strike... people eventually run out of work.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:07 AM)

Amazon is prepared for strikes... they just hire way too many people for the Christmas season. If there's a strike, they still have enough (albeit inexperienced) workers.

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2018 - 07:49 PM)

Not one bit :p

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 December 2018 - 06:46 PM)

@Steevy Did you read TM2's post? "Amazon.de".

@  Paladin : (12 December 2018 - 06:37 PM)

just wait until the European economy collapses up its Brexit-shaped asshole.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 December 2018 - 06:22 PM)

Probably not a ton of people, no. Although I'd say I order from one European Amazon site once every month or two, myself. Usually UK, but sometimes Germany as well. France and Italy a couple times, too. There are some good Blu-Ray releases that are exclusive to Europe

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2018 - 06:00 PM)

I'm not sure a European strike is going to impact North American customers.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 December 2018 - 04:13 PM)

Well, somebody must've been working 'cuz I had an order in with Amazon.de that got shipped out the other day

@  Echowarrior : (12 December 2018 - 01:29 PM)

Amazon.

@  Benbot : (12 December 2018 - 01:01 PM)

AOL?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2018 - 08:22 PM)

Also, strike has been extended. So no working for 50 minutes. Would have been fun, though.

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2018 - 08:21 PM)

I said numerous times already that I work at that big American corporation that begins with "A".

@  Waspinator : (11 December 2018 - 07:21 PM)

Preferably the equivalent of Lara Croft or Indiana Jones a thousand years from now

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 December 2018 - 02:26 PM)

The turkeys... The answer is always the Turkeys.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 December 2018 - 02:05 PM)

Who would be the heroes in this situation?

@  Waspinator : (11 December 2018 - 02:03 PM)

When I die, I want my body to be part of a puzzle solution. Like, have my skeleton pointing at the clue the heroes are supposed to find.

Photo

Lost Light #18 Discussion

61 replies to this topic

#1 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9231 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:34 AM

Discuss the issue here!

#2 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20563 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:58 AM

Welp quest over. Yay?

ty3jHaa.jpg

#3 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10665 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:00 AM

And then Hound was a zombie.

unknown.png

#4 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22359 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:01 AM

So Nightbeat just straight up died, I guess.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#5 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12357 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:05 AM

Chris McFeely said on Twitter that this issue was very Red Dwarf like, and he's correct. Red Dwarf often liked something to turn out to be a fairly innocuous thing from the past gone horribly wrong through abandonment. That things could be more and in some ways less than they seem.

And we shouldn't be surprised really, this is the writer of Eugenesis, and it goes down a very similar ideological path - that your religion is probably just something mundane that has been horribly misunderstood. That some of the trappings of it are quite simple and have been deified by time and myth. MTMTE has always borrowed quite a bit from Eugenesis. Maybe we shouldn't have assumed it would always take more. And I like that.

There's a lot to like here. There's some movement, and some resolution. Some worldbuilding. And lots still to do. While a key mystery is resolved there's still lots going on, and important stuff to tie up. There's some nice character moments too.

On a neutral level I expect some people to hate the Tailgate piece. And if it's not explained later on, I'd hate it too. But I trust it will get a better explanation than "power of love, don't look too hard". Some people will probably compare this to Starbuck in Battlestar, but this isn't really compatible (and Starbuck IS explained, people just don't like the explanation. It's also bittersweet, and not a happy ending out of nowhere).

I name drop for Tyrest means he's probably coming back in the next few issues, which is great. But not mentioning him for yonks and then bringing him up all of a sudden just before his reappearance does feel a bit off pacing wise. All these things we've lost since the page count reduction. Sigh.

The minus side, for what is essentially the closure off of the key plot of the book it's *very* tell don't show. It's a pile of exposition, without even a villain or anything to drive the reveal. And it all comes at once. It's obvious that Roberts got sick of people guessing the twists on message boards in Season 1, but he retreated to giving less hints as a result and that's just no damned fun to actually read because it feels like resolutions come out of nowhere. This would have all felt a bit more natural if a few bits had been dropped previously. Some of this is no doubt because the series is being wrapped up a season early (using Roberts' oft cited "shortcut"), but even then it's another piece where this run of books has been hurt over last few years by IDW's editorial meddling with the renaming mess and the early cancellation. Which seems in part to have been caused by the dropping sales from the renaming mess.

And I'm afraid I've got to say that again the art lets this issue down. I feel like the plunge from space towards Mederi should be this grand vista. This is a hugely important moment. Instead it looks like they're floating towards a beach ball with a supermarket logo on it :-/

#6 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6257 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:03 AM

Well that was interesting. I spent most of the issue thinking "okay this isn't one of the baaad issues, the flirty banter is fun and there's nothing too obnoxious happening" and then bam! We suddenly found the thing by accident and achieved the whole purpose of the original journey?

If it's not another classic Roberts fakeout bullshit, then... I think I'm okay with it. It's a cool low-key resolution to the Knights story and it makes more sense than a lot of other possible conclusions.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#7 DocChloroplast

DocChloroplast

I think you underestimate the depths of my pettiness

• Citizen
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:10 AM

Turns out the real Cybertopia was the friends we made along the way.

dFdY.png

Magaroja on TFWiki | Buying POTP Prima Prime, either version

Rest in Peace our darling Rydia, 1998 - Sept. 2, 2018

#8 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10665 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

So, about the last page...

Spoiler

unknown.png

#9 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3595 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:18 AM

I think maybe the idea is that Getaway and company also flew to Mederi?

....... and maybe their secret dream was to become sparkeaters?

"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#10 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

• Staff
  • 9231 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

This issue was... I dunno. It wasn't at all bad, definitely not disappointing in the way that lots of Lost Light's story endings have been for me, but it didn't really have a huge impact on me either.

The big revelation only really got a "huh, interesting" out of me. It's a cool sci-fi concept, no doubt, but the lack of connection to anything that's come before and the fact that it was delivered with a Remain-in-Light-tier "everyone sits in a room explaining the plot to each other" sequence kinda took the oomph out of it for me?

Like a bunch of stuff that's happened since the LL relaunch, I guess I have to say "well, he's probably going somewhere with this" and put my initial reaction to one side for the time being.

#11 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 1769 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

Spoiler

To be honest...

Spoiler

#12 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

• Staff
  • 9231 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

My first thought on the ending, especially given the matching pair of Roche covers for next issue, is that we're seeing a "both sides are tricked into seeing the other side as something scary" scenario.

#13 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26035 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:46 AM

I think maybe the idea is that Getaway and company also flew to Mederi?

....... and maybe their secret dream was to become sparkeaters?

Maybe Getaway started twirling his mustache even harder and turned everyone he didn't like into sparkeaters.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#14 Prime Radiant

Prime Radiant

TFWiki: Flawlessvoid.

• Citizen
  • 172 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

I feel a bit underwhelmed by the reveal, such as it is. But looking back, I'm not sure how I expected to feel. I think I wanted the buildup of 6 years' worth of stories to combine into some kind of mega-epiphany. I mean, I was looking for an Enigma-of-Combination-style epiphany.

What I got was an explanation that basically makes sense. As I read it, I was doing a tentative nod, thinking "ehhh yeah okay sure." But it was a far cry from "whoa that senator was Shockwave!?" and "whoa Rodimus helped secretly stash Overlord in the Lost Light!?" It was more like "Okay we know Tarn is Roller. Oh wait he's that guy instead? Ah k."

Also, with the degree of exposition to explain the reveal, I'm less convinced that the remaining outstanding questions (including: Ratchet fading out? Ten could speak? Tailgate is actually here somehow? Did Scorponok, Getaway, and Rodimus all converge onto the same Mederi?) are going to be "show don't tell".

I am looking forward to Pharma being in charge of a murderous medical facility though. And the banter was funny.

Edited by Prime Radiant, 13 June 2018 - 09:55 AM.

Believing I had not miscalculated was the first miscalculation.

#15 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3595 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure that this is going to be the real truth behind Cyberutopia; it all seems a little TOO neatly tied up...
"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#16 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10665 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:05 AM

Spoiler

To be honest...

Spoiler

All plausible! It's just the line "anything but them" that made me think otherwise - Rodimus is outright stating that this is the Worst Possible Scenario.

unknown.png

#17 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9141 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:17 AM

I'd swear that line, "Not them, please, anything but them!" is a direct quote from something (with the pronouns changed) but I can't place it.

#18 Tailgreat

Tailgreat
  • Citizen
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

I really liked Whirl's small character bit of defending Cyclonus, but god willing there had better be an actual explanation for why Tailgate came back. I like the guy (no duh) but that doesn't mean I want the story to  break its spine to give him a happy ending.

Otherwise I'm guessing a lot of the reveals in this issue are predicated on having read the other IDW Transformers comics because I was lost.

#19 General Tekno

General Tekno

BRUNT; F.C.A.!

• Citizen
  • 2028 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

Well, in any case, we still don't know who Scorponok's boss is.

Or what grabbed Pharma's body.

I do suspect this end of the quest is the "break in case of emergency" Roberts has been holding onto for years though. Not that this is rushed, but that it's an ending he worked out ages ago and is easy to slot in to end the story if need be.

I really liked Whirl's small character bit of defending Cyclonus, but god willing there had better be an actual explanation for why Tailgate came back. I like the guy (no duh) but that doesn't mean I want the story to  break its spine to give him a happy ending.

Otherwise I'm guessing a lot of the reveals in this issue are predicated on having read the other IDW Transformers comics because I was lost.

Not so much? Optimus Prime is doing its own thing with the Primes and setting up Unicron right now.

Roberts actually tweeted last night too that LL isn't tying in with that story, but is its own finale.

banner_2015.png

BT Toons - updates Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Blog | Youtube | Twitter | DeviantArt | Tumblr

#20 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9141 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

Some of this is no doubt because the series is being wrapped up a season early (using Roberts' oft cited "shortcut")

I have to say I think any notion that this is happening "early" or via the cited "shortcut" is blowing things greatly out of proportion. The "shortcut" was for if the hammer dropped suddenly with little time to go, whereas it seems very unlikely either Barber or Roberts entered their third seasons with the belief they would be getting a fourth. Season three/Lost Light essentially set itself on course for this ending as soon as it went out of its way to introduce characters tied to the Grand Architect on the first page of its first issue and everything it's been doing since then has been building to this point.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 13 June 2018 - 10:51 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users