Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (22 September 2018 - 01:53 PM)

So apparently some models of air-conditioner are on trays inside the case, so they can be removed for easy access to the internals. I did not know that two hours ago: and have since cleaned three. It's been a learning kind of day.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (22 September 2018 - 09:15 AM)

There's probably been a Pokedex-themed 3DS cover.

@  Noideaforaname : (21 September 2018 - 04:34 PM)

I still got that Pikachu Edition Gameboy Color from back in the day. Yellow and Blue and with Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Togepi on the screen.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2018 - 04:30 PM)

Quote of the day: I either need bourbon or aspirin, and I'm pretty sure the liquor cabinet is closer than the medicine chest.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 September 2018 - 02:38 PM)

I don't recall any Pokedex themed DS or Game Boy, but plenty of Pokemon-themed ones. My favourite, and the one I've got myself, was the Pokemon Red/Blue themed 3DS with the swappable faceplates that came out around the time the original games were made available via digital download

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 September 2018 - 02:30 PM)

I'm fairly certain Nintendo has done PokÚball red and white, but I don't know about specific PokÚdex colors.

@  Paladin : (21 September 2018 - 11:10 AM)

random thought: has Nintendo ever made a 3DS that looks like a Pokedex? because that seems like a GOLDMINE waiting to happen...

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2018 - 03:23 AM)

Wiigii! Titans Return Grotusque for only 60 Euros (actually 70 but I somehow had an eBay gift card for reasons that escape me) with free shipping from within my own country!

@  Whirl Maximus : (21 September 2018 - 03:02 AM)

That was the plan for Predators too with the Super Predators.

@  Waspinator : (21 September 2018 - 01:46 AM)

So, apparently in the new Predator movie, the Predators don't hunt us for honor or the challenge or anything like that, but because they're stealing human DNA to modify themselves. Congrats Hollywood, on making a monster far less cool and scary.

@  Pennpenn : (20 September 2018 - 08:46 AM)

I only started playing it recently so I don't know what it was like before. Actually surprised they haven't finished the story yet. Then again, unless they introduce another world it's pretty much just Maleficent and whatever the Foretellers are playing at left.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 September 2018 - 08:30 AM)

Geeze.. I reloaded up Kingdom Hearts X for the first time in a long time. That game has massivily inflated from when I played it when it first launced in the US.

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 09:07 AM)

It's an annoying thing to have happen in any game. I'm hoping they actually finish releasing all the story mode parts before 3 comes out.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 06:24 AM)

Ahh. Hadn't played that in a long time.. Since before the PVP I think.

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 04:33 AM)

Kingdom Hearts Union Cross. Specifically the PVP fights.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 04:31 AM)

What game PennPenn

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 03:13 AM)

Man, I love it when you've got limited attempts at something in a game, said game crashes at the end of the thing, so you lose the attempt but don't get any credit.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 08:44 PM)

I know. I'm back to the classic purple for the first time since the comic theme was introduced.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 08:32 PM)

Alright thanks, gonna be weird without the speech bubble boxes but I'll manage.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 07:59 PM)

Nope, ongoing problem for a bunch of us. The mods know, so... just hunker down and wait. In the mean time: changing themes will sort it out for a bit. Only the comic theme is affected.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 05:36 PM)

Is something going on? I'm missing the buttons to go to the newest post and there's no banner for the forum list, it just says "logo" in the corner.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2018 - 06:03 AM)

Leader-1!

@  Whirl Maximus : (18 September 2018 - 02:25 AM)

"huh?" 'chuckle' in every reaction shot. That's all I remember of Armada.

@  Paladin : (16 September 2018 - 07:36 PM)

if youre looking for sympathy its in the dictionary between shit & syphilis.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2018 - 03:10 PM)

Uuuhhhhhh.......

@  Rycochet : (15 September 2018 - 11:56 AM)

Due to it's concentrated lousiness, even small doses of Energon will age you, yes.

@  Lazy Garou : (15 September 2018 - 10:32 AM)

unicron trilogy video was great, but made me feel a hundred years old.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 September 2018 - 07:32 AM)

Awesome. Good job man.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 09:30 PM)

cleaning up, mostly.but the little plastic piece where the power cable hooked up was broken. That I managed to put back together.

@  Patch : (11 September 2018 - 04:48 PM)

So he also has White Castle-like qualities?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2018 - 02:23 PM)

Just keep him away from the plumbing, he's really hard on the pipes.

@  RichardT1977 : (11 September 2018 - 01:22 PM)

Overlord has some castle-like qualities to him

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 12:15 PM)

Fix it, like, found a working power adaptor, or fix it like: there was saudering involved.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 11:58 AM)

that feeling when you fix something and works like a dream. we now have a working snes in my house and I have tested 10 games on it and they all work.

@  Arazyr : (11 September 2018 - 10:44 AM)

...Now I want a Transformer that turns into a castle.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 09:37 AM)

You should be careful man, lots of allsparkers life in castle law states. It's a good way to get shot you know.

@  ▲ndrusi : (11 September 2018 - 09:35 AM)

Which house? Mine? Dammit I thought I locked my door!

@  GrungeWerX : (11 September 2018 - 01:20 AM)

GrungeWerX in tha HOUSE!!! WOOT!!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2018 - 11:54 PM)

There's been consistently good sc-fi flicks; most just fly under the radar as lower-budget or indie pictures

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:28 PM)

If you can forget about that garbage Ghost in the Shell feature...

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:27 PM)

Upgrade is a GREAT dark sci fi throwback film. Kind of feels like the genre has been nailing some good stuff after a LONG time of drek

@  Sabrblade : (10 September 2018 - 06:34 PM)

Hey, Steve is a Vehicon!

@  abates : (10 September 2018 - 04:44 PM)

I thought it was spelled "Stege".

@  Arazyr : (10 September 2018 - 02:10 PM)

So, "I before E, except after Siege"? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 September 2018 - 01:59 PM)

Memorandum to all: the word "siege" is spelled with the "i" before the "e".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (08 September 2018 - 12:55 PM)

Happy birthday to Star Trek and Star Trek: The Animated Series!

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2018 - 07:55 AM)

*smacks TMM upside the head*

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 September 2018 - 02:51 AM)

& Knuckles.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2018 - 11:01 PM)

Re: Coded?

@  Waspinator : (07 September 2018 - 09:14 PM)

Final Fantasy: The Movie: The Game: Pocket Edition HD Boogaloo

Photo
- - - - -

Isn't this Illegal?

Time Off PTO Illegal

17 replies to this topic

#1 Kayeon

Kayeon
  • Retired Staff
  • 4456 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

Soo..... My boss has the schedule set up to where no one is allowed to request PTO for 3 and a half months because some girl is going to be on maternity leave. Isn't it illegal for her to take our Paid time off away for over 3 months? She's doing this to everyone in the office not just me.
If you have Steven Universe leaks please let me know. I need them.

#2 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34105 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:33 PM

I don't think your job is required to give you PTO.  It may be a contract violation, but I don't think it is illegal.

#3 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5102 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

You can check your local laws on the issue, but the US and most states within have no guaranteed PTO requirements.

#4 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 21890 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:44 PM

I mean, it should be, but...

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#5 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4184 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

It doesn't sound like she's "taking it away", so much as she's refusing to grant use of it. IE, no vacations for anyone until this other person returns from maternity leave.  However, if your PTO follows similar rules as mine, you should still me accruing it as you've always done.

I think there's a distinction to be made in that.  As far as "legality"...probably not illegal, though you could argue with higher management whether it violates any parts of your employment contract.

Edited by Steevy Maximus, 12 June 2018 - 05:48 PM.

#6 deewelch

deewelch
  • Protoform
  • 7 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:07 PM

That is illegal for not giving anyone to have their leave within 3 months?

#7 Kayeon

Kayeon
  • Retired Staff
  • 4456 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

So basically she's just screwing us, but nothing illegal is being done....

Well hug.

Edited by Kayeon, 12 June 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#8 Kayeon

Kayeon
  • Retired Staff
  • 4456 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:13 PM

So my next question is, if you guys were in this situation would you start looking for another job or would you tough it out for 3 and a half months?

#9 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6505 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

So my next question is, if you guys were in this situation would you start looking for another job or would you tough it out for 3 and a half months?

If you have never had time off black outs I feel like you have been very priviliged in your employment, or very limited work experience.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#10 Kayeon

Kayeon
  • Retired Staff
  • 4456 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

I'd say limited. I've only really had two other jobs my entire life and they never did this so it's all new to me.

#11 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 43949 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:08 PM

Sounds like the place is pretty chronically understaffed if one maternity leave can cause a time off block of three months. That being said, three months is hardly that long a timescale all things considered. That's about what I deal with yearly when the holiday season rolls around. One of the "perks" of the working world.

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#12 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20452 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:03 AM

At the newspaper I'm with? 

Deadlines are deadlines, period. We're so short-handed that if you're scheduled to do something you've got to get it done unless you've arranged for someone to cover for you. 

In a worst-case scenario those of us on stringer or reporter duty can be covering multiple events in a single day, while as a courier I've had to do parts of someone else's route on top of my own route. My blown knee? I was an hour into my route one night when I went to take a step, only to find that the ground wasn't underneath my foot like it was supposed to be; my knee buckled under the impact of my landing, but since the other couriers were already in the middle of their routes and my kin were all asleep, I had to deal with it. Three hours later, I was limping so badly that all but the most oblivious of people noticed.  

Even the editorial staff will log into the cloud and get things dealt with while they're ostensibly on vacation, or else they'll have to hustle to get everything done well ahead of time so that they can go ahead and go. 

I myself try to keep a collection of one-off columns (that is, columns not tied to current events or other columns) and "retro" movie reviews handy as fail-safes in case something happens on my end. 

So yeah - it's the working world. 

#13 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 37523 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:54 AM

...I don't think that has anything to do with this.

In any case, do you have an employee handbook?  That usually outlines the options for PTO and how it can be handled.  I've run into time off blackouts, but never for as long as 14 weeks.  Like, three at most.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#14 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18362 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

About the only thing they can't do is stop you from calling in sick, but they can require you to provide a Dr's note to prove you weren't BS'ing. And they can still use it against you if it happens too frequently. About the only legal protection is if you file an official FMLA request, at which point they're not allowed to do anything about it. But depending on what state you live in there's a good chance it has right-to-work laws which means you can be fired for pretty much any other reason and it doesn't matter.

I haven't had vacation in about three years, and any additional "days off" are just swapped with one of the other pilots so we can make sure the plane is always covered. It's just the nature of the business. 

And yeah, PTO black-out dates are common practice in most businesses. You can't use them over holidays, or during certain specific times of year. I do agree it's a little odd that your company is so short-staffed that one person going on leave locks the place down, but even that isn't that unusual.

Your company should have a couple of posters hung up somewhere (usually the break room), which spells out the federal and state law specific to you. If it's not on that poster, they can do what they want.

Edited by Dake, 13 June 2018 - 10:14 AM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#15 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 34824 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:55 AM

Went through similar shit at Indiana University. Not maternity leaves but stuff like rolling out important new software so no one could take PTO for months at a time. It sucked.

Basically if you're in a right to work state especially it's all legal. Also legal is hanging on just long enough to draw unemployment and then getting fired because you tell your boss exactly what you think of them, loudly, in front of everyone. Just a thought.

...was there really any doubt which team I'm supporting this year? :D

40757877211_906a7c9dcd_o.jpg

#16 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 43949 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, but that makes future employment that much more difficult. "Disagreements with management" can be a red flag that lingers.

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#17 Glenn

Glenn

Sitting next to me may result in Smart-ass poisoning

• Supporter
  • 9530 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

Unless you bring it up yourself, "disagreements with management" is not something prospective employers would ever know about you.

#18 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34105 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:58 AM

None of us can tell you that.  I certainly wouldn't quite MY job because that happened.  But then you probably wouldn't be asking the question if there weren't other things about your job that had you close to wanting to quit.

Lots of jobs just get 5-10 days off a year.  So voluntarily going 3 months at a time without taking off is pretty normal.  May I presume that you wouldn't have brought all of this up if it weren't because there is something specific that you want to take off for in the next 3 months?  Where I work, we schedule our PTO for the next year in November and December.  It isn't impossible to schedule it later, but it is likely to be impossible to get the days you want off later, because there are rules about how many can be gone at a time.  Sometimes someone gets crunched by that when they find something they want to do and cannot get the time off for it.  In the years before I got on permanent day shift, I missed weddings, parties, a concert I wanted to attend, holiday get-togethers and such.  None of those were worth quitting my job over because I had the job where I wanted to stay.

I don't recall knowing anything about you that you haven't shared in this thread.  This may not be the job where you want to stick for your career.  I don't know how old you are or what you're doing or what you'd like to be doing.  But with all that said, I believe if you haven't found a job where you want to stay for your career you should be spending some of your free time thinking about where and what that job would be and planning how you would be able to get there.  Even if it weren't for the maternity leave.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users