Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 August 2018 - 08:40 PM)

I saw him on The Trek BBS some months before he hit the Allspark.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 05:47 PM)

He was considered an annoying pest even back then.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 05:47 PM)

I finally managed to dig up some of Jason Irelan's earliest posts, at the Alvaro Comicboards Transformers forum. Dating back to 2003.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 12:43 PM)

The best thing is that repeatedly buying the same cabinet means an increasing routine in assembling the things.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 August 2018 - 10:39 AM)

Welp, beats me. I got four shelves.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 08:38 AM)

Finally I can showcase my collection in an appropriate manner.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 08:38 AM)

I bought thirteen display cabinets for my new apartment from Ikea.

@  RichardT1977 : (19 August 2018 - 12:42 AM)

*groan*...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 August 2018 - 11:43 PM)

Well don't hang up on us, tel us abaud it!

@  Cybersnark : (18 August 2018 - 04:25 PM)

I'm back with a new modem!

@  wonko the sane? : (18 August 2018 - 03:58 PM)

And I just managed to clean out my bed drawers, so I can move on to the next step when I'm ready.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 August 2018 - 03:45 PM)

I doubt I set any records, but now my cat can't jump on my PC and hit the power button or reset button, so... improvement.

@  RichardT1977 : (18 August 2018 - 02:28 PM)

Back in St. Olaf they used to have IKEA building contests...

@  Paladin : (18 August 2018 - 11:44 AM)

enjoy yur affordable Svedish crap.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 August 2018 - 11:33 AM)

Ikea is dangerous. I bought a new desk and a bed frame...

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 August 2018 - 11:19 AM)

Var.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:19 AM)

Oh, and there's also a few percent extra wage for every overtime hour on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:19 AM)

Some people just work an hour extra every day and then request a day off when they have collected enough hours.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:18 AM)

Come in on your day off? Work an hour extra on a normal working day? Counts. What you do with your overtime doesn't matter just as long as you worked overtime in the first place.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:18 AM)

Anything goes - filing a request for financial compensation for your overtime, getting them compensated by spare time either in full "stay at home" days or "go home early" days (always with permission by your superior), it doesn't matter. What matters is that you worked longer than your contract and your official shift plan require you on any given day.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:16 AM)

Now the important thing here is that overtime is clocked daily, so if you work an hour extra (all overtime prior to the Christmas peak season is voluntary) and then immediately work an hour less on the following day (assuming you got your superior's permission), you may have a net zero on your overtime account but still scored one hour for the premium regardless.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:14 AM)

In other news, I unlocked an achievement at work: There is an agreement between the works council and the employer which states that anyone who works 55 overtime hours this year between January and the end of September gets a premium in October.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:12 AM)

Of course, the idiots keep bringing up the fact that DC used it "first", despite us telling them over and over again that who was "first" is completely irrelevant in trademarks.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:10 AM)

Actually they just settled.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2018 - 05:03 AM)

Sounds like Hasbro should win it easily.. They'be been using it constantly for years, so even if DC did have it, they haven't been using and defending their trademark.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 04:54 AM)

Well, haven't in a long time, that is.

And there haven't been any toys based on DC's Teen Titans Bumblebee character until recently.

Because Hasbro is selling toys.

The trademark dispute was specifically about toys.

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2018 - 04:50 AM)

Thought to be fair I didn't even know Hasbro and DC were having a trademark dispute. I thought that was something that would have been settled years ago (and DC wouldn't be doing much with their Bumblebee at the moment given Marvel's using Wasp at the moment)

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2018 - 04:37 AM)

It sounds like the kind of person isn't going to be deflected by petty concerns like "reason" or "facts".

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 04:18 AM)

I told him repeatedly that the insects are completely irrelevant because THEY ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF SELLING TOYS (or ANY business at all, for that matter).

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2018 - 04:08 AM)

Even if he meant that the word "bumblebee" has been used to describe a particular type of insect (which is a much more coherent statement) it's still wrong.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 03:40 AM)

Claiming that Hasbro's trademark has always been for "Autobot Bumblebee" (a quick look at any toy packaging in the past 12 years proves this wrong), Apple the computer company has never held a trademark for "Apple", only for "Apple Computers" (the USPTO database proves this wrong), you cannot trademark common words (the USPTO database proves this wrong), the insects have been using the name "Bumblebee" for thousands of years (insects don't speak English), and ARGHHHH.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 03:38 AM)

Jesus, there's this moron at TFW2005 who has a history of exceptionally outrageous bulls*** claims who is making all sorts of provably false statements in the thread about the Hasbro/DC "Bumblebee" trademark dispute.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 August 2018 - 12:06 AM)

If you stop for gas/directions shortly before getting there and the attendant is unusually creepy and/or inbred, turn back

@  Noideaforaname : (17 August 2018 - 09:49 PM)

Booked a cheap cabin in the stormy mountains filled with alcohol. This is either a great find or the start of a horror film.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 August 2018 - 06:55 PM)

I loved those commercials...

@  Patch : (17 August 2018 - 06:14 PM)

Paladin drank Bud Ice once in the 90s, and the penguins have been after him ever since.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2018 - 01:44 PM)

You weren't using it anyway.

@  Paladin : (17 August 2018 - 12:11 PM)

one by one the penguins steal my sanity...

@  Donocropolis : (17 August 2018 - 06:30 AM)

New band name: The Sabre Worf Hypothesis

@  wonko the sane? : (16 August 2018 - 06:36 AM)

That never goes away. I still have little panic attacks when I see water where it's not supposed to be. I've lived through enough leaking roofs, broken pipes and floods to know it could be a very bad sign.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 August 2018 - 09:20 PM)

Despite my parents explaining that to me when I was a kid, I still half-panic every time I see condensation dripping.

@  Shrug : (15 August 2018 - 08:23 PM)

Yup. If the water happens to be on the left or right of the vehicle, make sure to remember that. That way it's real easy to tell if it's something else dripping.

@  Nevermore : (15 August 2018 - 05:15 PM)

So I checked online and it appears... it's totally normal, that's apparently condensed water from the air conditioning.

@  Nevermore : (15 August 2018 - 05:14 PM)

Phew!" For a moment I thought I was in real trouble because when I arrived at home and drove my car into the garage, there was a trail of large wet spots.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2018 - 08:01 AM)

The showerhead exploded off the pipe this morning. So yeah... think it's going to be a "great" day.

@  Donocropolis : (13 August 2018 - 09:44 PM)

Luckily, it was "Wheel Horse Lawnmower"

@  Donocropolis : (13 August 2018 - 09:44 PM)

I knew that my father was getting old when he finally posted a facebook status that was clearly a search term.

Photo
- - - - -

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power - New Netflix Series

191 replies to this topic

#1 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46809 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:45 AM

So there was another EW reveal today. This franchise has always been a couple of removes away for me, but it's Dreamworks doing another Netflix show, so it's hard for that too go too terribly wrong, right?

she-ra.jpg?resize=340%2C500&ssl=1

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#2 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 2861 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:51 AM

Is she pansexual?

#3 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 5885 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:57 AM

Lot of awesome people in the cast. I hope they can manage something cool that can pull itself free of the shadow of He-Man.

But also has lots of He-Man? NO

At any rate... bring it on. They can save He-Man for the inevitable "MOTU: Go Roar".

WsuGTl1.jpg

#4 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 20146 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:06 AM

But also has lots of He-Man? NO

Eh? The cast list doesn't mention anyone playing Adam or Skeletor.

#5 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 5885 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:28 AM

I may have worded that confusingly, I didn't mean to suggest that I thought He-Man would be present; I was saying "I hope they make a show good enough that people don't spend the whole time waiting for He-Man, but also I will be one of those people and I would probably like to see He-Man but I don't want to do this show that disservice". NOTE: THIS POST MAY NOT HAVE EFFECTIVELY CLARIFIED MY POINT

It seems weird for them to resurrect a He-Man spinoff without putting a little He-Man in it, but also from what little we know about this show it seems crazy to think they'd lead with anything heavily Adamy because that would really kind of dilute Adora's whole thing, right? It's hard to imagine that this will be a show that says "here's a chick who bounced out of a boything". However they choose to address Adam - if they ever do - I'm sure they'll execute it well, but I wouldn't want to guess what that would look like at this point. For all we know the pilot will be packed with surprise MOTU junk, though I doubt it!

There will inevitably be people watching who just can't get past Where Is He-Man, and I will struggle to avoid being one of them because I'm old and to me these characters go together by default, but one imagines I'm not necessarily the demo the show is keen to capture. Seems like there's a solid team behind this show and hopefully they'll hit it out of the park and nobody will give a shit about He-Man.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#6 unluckiness

unluckiness

THEY'RE IN MAH BELLY

• Apprentice Staff
  • 17448 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:40 AM

I dunno, if the He-Man franchise proper isnt popular enough to support itself, I dont expect a He-man spinoff to do any better. I guess the netflix distribution could make the difference but Im skeptical of its chances for success.

And maybe they can actually use the swords as swords this time

pDHhVB1.jpg

#7 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46809 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:50 AM

Yeah, there's at least as much nostalgia out there for She-Ra as for He-Man and they've always seemed like pretty independent products based on the same model to me. This isn't a case like the Venom movie where I think they're necessarily going to lose something by leaving out the parent franchise. I definitely don't think either is more dependent on the other, so I'd think if you can try and fail to reboot MotU, you can try to reboot She-Ra, too.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#8 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 20146 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

Ignoring any relevant context or whatever I think the names "She-ra" and "Hordak" sound better than "He-man" and "Skeletor".

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 19 May 2018 - 06:59 AM.

#9 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

i am come to do Business! Only Business!

• Staff
  • 11396 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:56 AM

The "...and the Princessess of Power" is new. I mean, She-Ra was The Princess of Power. This seems like its going in an interesting direction.

Was the original She-Ra in another world, seperate from Eternia? If so then i can certainly see how they can introduce Adora with little or no He-Man baggage. Possibly.

EDIT: I'd say Skeletor is on a par with Hordak for cool villain name. But , She-Ra is better than He Man.

Edited by GodSentinelOmega, 19 May 2018 - 07:01 AM.

fslookup.jpg

#10 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 62775 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

I'm looking forward to this.

#11 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46809 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

Was the original She-Ra in another world, seperate from Eternia? If so then i can certainly see how they can introduce Adora with little or no He-Man baggage. Possibly.

Yeah, it's a whole parallel thing.  Fighting Hordak in place of Skeletor on Etheria in place of Eternia, transforms using her own Sword of Protection instead of the Power Sword, which has to do with Castle Grayskull but also the Crystal Castle. She's introduced as He-Man's long-lost brother and meets him for her introduction, but otherwise it's just this entire rebranded set of MotU things and no interaction with MotU.

#12 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2396 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:25 AM

My thoughts to this are, it could be really good or really bad. I never saw much of the original He-man series, even less of She-ra, I saw some of that futurtic spin off of He-man, where he not longer looks like a barbarian but I don't recall it that well, I saw the last He-man series completely and I couldn't understand why it didn't get a third season because it was pretty good, but then I could say the same about the Thundercats series from a few years ago, that was pretty good. Anyway, I think the idea behind this She-ra series is to help balance out the sucess that is Voltron, Voltron is kind of aimmed at boys primary with most of the cast being men, so they clearly want to do something for the girls and not go like a lot of other shows aimmed at girls, something a bit more action packed, but time will tell. who knows, maybe He-man will do what She-ra did when it first came along, spin out of the series.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#13 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1105 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:48 AM

I don't super care but at least it means Jordan Fischer is in work for a bit. I kind of do want to be excited, but it feels like this'll fall in that "This is taking itself too seriously"/'This is waaaaaay too goofy" dichotomy that Western Animation is stuck in (I mean, the other reveal was that terrible Thundercats reboot).

total autonomy of the look

✰ten thousandish words on M3 -Sono Kuroki Hagane-✰

#14 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35507 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

I'm eager for this, I've always prefered She-Ra to He-Man, even watching it recently She-Ra feels like a more mature cartoon then He-Man. She-Ra is part of a group of Rebels, fighting against an evil Empire, It's almost the exact oppisite of He-Man. On Etheria evil's won, Hordak rules all and does everythign he can to stay in power. You got a group that's mostly  fighting with swords and bows and the occasional magic user, vs a group that's got tanks, death rays, and endless robotic soldiers. Even with her super powers, She-Ra and her co-horts are behind the 8-ball, and a lot of plots tend to show that. You get episodes dealing with regular civilians trying to survive this war and weither they should support She-Ra and potentially be killed by the Horde for it, or keep their heads down and try to be loyal citizens in hopes they won't catch a hordesman on a bad day they ruins their lives for no reason. You got an episode about  book burning and how Hordak is trying to erase anything that claims the horde hasn't always been in power. You got an episode where Hordak's super weapon uses prisoners as batteries, draining them of their lives. 

For a Filmation series, a series aimed at girls, and just an 80's cartoon in general, this shit gets surprisingly dark at times. Sure good always wins out in the end, and their is still a level of humor about everything, but this has an on-going storyline, not as continous as what you see nowadays, but it was still telling a story where stuff would come back later and still be important. If you got Netflix, the whole  seires is on there last I checked. Seriously try and watch it, its got a lot of good and interestign stuff in it. And I hope, espically since this is Dreamwave and we know from Voltron they can do a damn good job, that this tries to keep some of those themes and ideas around.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#15 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46809 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

I don't super care but at least it means Jordan Fischer is in work for a bit. I kind of do want to be excited, but it feels like this'll fall in that "This is taking itself too seriously"/'This is waaaaaay too goofy" dichotomy that Western Animation is stuck in (I mean, the other reveal was that terrible Thundercats reboot).

Love it or hate it, Voltron has at least managed to show that a Western show, even based on an existing property, can at least hit that balance. Again, whether you like either the humor or the drama actually involved, but it's capable of both.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 19 May 2018 - 07:59 AM.

#16 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 39688 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:03 AM

Dreamworks has been pretty good on both animation on story on almost all of what they've done on netflix so far. Sure, trollhunter is more of their baseline CG stuff which was never very emotive or expressive to begin with, but the story is spot on awesome.

If they do for she-ra what they did with voltron: yeah, it could be damned good. There's lots of basic story elements in she-ra could create a grand scene to tell a story in: and without the bother of early 80's TV censors to demand an unreasonable standard for broadcasting...

There's potential here. Lots of it. I think I will try it.

#17 Steadfast

Steadfast

rar

• Citizen
  • 127 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:41 AM

argh when can we get Orko and the Sorcerors of Trolla?

it better be soonish or i'll do something pointless and stupid

(Orko was the real hero)

#18 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2216 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

I don't see Mantenna on the cast list...

C'monnn... Y'gotta have Mantenna! Who is Hordak gonna toss down his trap door?

#19 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 9735 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

Speaking as someone who's only vaguely interested in He-Man and the mythos surrounding him...this has gotten me curious.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#20 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35507 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

I don't see Mantenna on the cast list...

C'monnn... Y'gotta have Mantenna! Who is Hordak gonna toss down his trap door?

heh, being the Horde's buttmonkey was his only use. As long as they keep him the useless lacky and didn't try to make him more serious I wouldn't mind him, but really there are much better characters for them to use. I'm more disapointed about the lack of Imp, he was a wonderfully bratty character that had some good use as essentually Hordak's eyes and I loved his interactions with Hordak and the others becuase that little asshole could get away with just about anything.

...Shit they're also missing Madam Razz and Cowl. That's like making a He-Man reboot without Orko...

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users