Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (16 December 2018 - 09:39 AM)

How's that unrealistic? Not even the ocean wants it.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 December 2018 - 01:35 AM)

The most unrealistic thing (from a U.S. perspective) is that Florida isn't underwater!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 December 2018 - 01:35 AM)

I was reminded today of a funny thing about Star Trek:

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 09:58 PM)

Whatever they can sell it for?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 December 2018 - 09:48 PM)

Geez, WTF do those China sellers on eBay need my phone number for?

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 09:44 PM)

Does the PotP voyager Starscream's chest stick out so far in combiner torso mode? It's kinda weird how much Elita Infinite's back seems so empty up top but very... protruding lower down.

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 01:26 AM)

Trying to fit Elita One's combiner head back into her torso is a pain in the arse (and not just because her torso becomes her arse in combiner torso mode)

@  RichardT1977 : (14 December 2018 - 10:04 PM)

Power corrupts and corruption empowers.

@  Echowarrior : (14 December 2018 - 07:10 PM)

Welcome to real life...at least until enough people get fed up and they break out the guillotines.

@  Pennpenn : (14 December 2018 - 06:58 PM)

It's almost as if the people with the most money have funneled money into making the systems of government and law serve their purposes in retaining their wealth, no matter how harmful, counterintuitive, or just flat out evil they have to be. Huh.

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:49 PM)

https://www.motherjones.com/media/2015/10/mother-jones-vandersloot-melaleuca-lawsuit/

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:45 PM)

Some states have laws against that, but they're in a tiny minority. There are plenty of cases where rich people have gone after journalists and their employers for accurate reporting, lost, but still left their targets saddled with hundreds of thousands ofdollars in legal fees and no hope of recovering anyof the money because a partisan judge has decreed that while they're innocent, they're not innocent enough.

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:43 PM)

The american system is as bad, there are plenty of cases of billionaires or corporations filing libel suits purely to kill reporting or activisim against their activities. SLAPP suits. Strategic Lawsuits against public participation.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2018 - 12:48 PM)

e.g. British libel laws place the burden of proof on the accuser, which is how we wind up with Emirati billionaires suing Western journalists in British courts

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2018 - 12:46 PM)

Never visited the UK in my life, but reading about British laws in the news gives me the vibe that British culture inherently protects the wealthy and established.

@  Anonymous X : (14 December 2018 - 12:39 PM)

Sounds a lot better than labour law in the UK. It's bare minimum standards here, you don't get any employment rights as such in the first two years of employment (and the employer can arbitrarily reset the clock). Unions are limited to a few public sector professions as well; in the private sector, there basically aren't any unions.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:25 PM)

Bonus points if your company has a works council. The employer is required by law to hear the works council prior to giving you your termination. The works council cannot prevent your termination if the employer really insists on going through with it, but if the employer failed to hear the works council, didn't wait for the works council to respond, or failed to tell the works council *all* the relevant details, the termination is legally invalid due to a technicality.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:23 PM)

The employer has to tell you the reason for your termination if you explicitly ask for it, and if you can prove the reason is factually incorrect, the employer may lose the case.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:21 PM)

For all its flaws, I really like a lot about our German labor law. Here, if you're under a permanent contract and have been continually employed for over six months, employers can only fire you for reasons that fall into one of three categories defined by law, and the burden of proof is on the employer's side in a potential court case.

@  Paladin : (13 December 2018 - 05:38 PM)

in brightest day or blackest night?

@  Bass X0 : (13 December 2018 - 05:25 PM)

Finally we get a Greenlight toy.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 December 2018 - 04:58 PM)

See.. In America they would just fire you for having the wrong color shoes on or some BS reason.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:13 AM)

And hey, in addition to the clocked extra hours, I earned an additional 50% overtime bonus.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:12 AM)

This past Saturday, in full expectance of a strike this week, I worked a full extra shift. They assigned me and some of the other volunteers to a totally pointless task, while some ladies were seriously sweeping the floor. When asked how long I was planning to stay, I smiled and said "a full shift!"

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:10 AM)

"You were asking for volunteers, right? I'm staying." - "But we have no more work for you!" - "I don't see how that's *my* problem..."

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:10 AM)

It's possible to use that to troll the employer a little, though... Once they allow voluntary overtime, they cannot backtrack from that. So once you notice you're rapidly running out of work, you just decide to do overtime out of spite.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:08 AM)

Now if there's *no* strike... people eventually run out of work.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:07 AM)

Amazon is prepared for strikes... they just hire way too many people for the Christmas season. If there's a strike, they still have enough (albeit inexperienced) workers.

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2018 - 07:49 PM)

Not one bit :p

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 December 2018 - 06:46 PM)

@Steevy Did you read TM2's post? "Amazon.de".

@  Paladin : (12 December 2018 - 06:37 PM)

just wait until the European economy collapses up its Brexit-shaped asshole.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 December 2018 - 06:22 PM)

Probably not a ton of people, no. Although I'd say I order from one European Amazon site once every month or two, myself. Usually UK, but sometimes Germany as well. France and Italy a couple times, too. There are some good Blu-Ray releases that are exclusive to Europe

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2018 - 06:00 PM)

I'm not sure a European strike is going to impact North American customers.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 December 2018 - 04:13 PM)

Well, somebody must've been working 'cuz I had an order in with Amazon.de that got shipped out the other day

@  Echowarrior : (12 December 2018 - 01:29 PM)

Amazon.

@  Benbot : (12 December 2018 - 01:01 PM)

AOL?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2018 - 08:22 PM)

Also, strike has been extended. So no working for 50 minutes. Would have been fun, though.

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2018 - 08:21 PM)

I said numerous times already that I work at that big American corporation that begins with "A".

@  Waspinator : (11 December 2018 - 07:21 PM)

Preferably the equivalent of Lara Croft or Indiana Jones a thousand years from now

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 December 2018 - 02:26 PM)

The turkeys... The answer is always the Turkeys.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 December 2018 - 02:05 PM)

Who would be the heroes in this situation?

@  Waspinator : (11 December 2018 - 02:03 PM)

When I die, I want my body to be part of a puzzle solution. Like, have my skeleton pointing at the clue the heroes are supposed to find.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (11 December 2018 - 12:38 PM)

Can you say where you work at? Or is that private?

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2018 - 02:49 PM)

It's completely pointless... whch is exactly the point. Hundreds of workers showing up 50 minutes before their shift is over.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2018 - 02:49 PM)

We're on strike until midnight tomorrow (Tuesday->Wednesday). Which means I will clock in at midnight and work until my shift is over... 50 minutes later.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2018 - 02:48 PM)

Hahaha, awesome.

@  Cybersnark : (09 December 2018 - 09:36 PM)

But The Pillows prefer to kill you with Poison Rock'N'Roll

@  Rodimus Supreme : (09 December 2018 - 10:23 AM)

Pillows can kill you softly.

@  Pennpenn : (09 December 2018 - 07:26 AM)

His song.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (09 December 2018 - 05:34 AM)

But is anything killing you softly?

Photo
- - - - -

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power - New Netflix Series

340 replies to this topic

#1 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Fair, in a condescending way

• Administrator
  • 47579 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:45 AM

So there was another EW reveal today. This franchise has always been a couple of removes away for me, but it's Dreamworks doing another Netflix show, so it's hard for that too go too terribly wrong, right?

she-ra.jpg?resize=340%2C500&ssl=1

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#2 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 2992 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:51 AM

Is she pansexual?

#3 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6254 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:57 AM

Lot of awesome people in the cast. I hope they can manage something cool that can pull itself free of the shadow of He-Man.

But also has lots of He-Man? NO

At any rate... bring it on. They can save He-Man for the inevitable "MOTU: Go Roar".

WsuGTl1.jpg

#4 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 20877 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:06 AM

But also has lots of He-Man? NO

Eh? The cast list doesn't mention anyone playing Adam or Skeletor.

#5 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6254 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:28 AM

I may have worded that confusingly, I didn't mean to suggest that I thought He-Man would be present; I was saying "I hope they make a show good enough that people don't spend the whole time waiting for He-Man, but also I will be one of those people and I would probably like to see He-Man but I don't want to do this show that disservice". NOTE: THIS POST MAY NOT HAVE EFFECTIVELY CLARIFIED MY POINT

It seems weird for them to resurrect a He-Man spinoff without putting a little He-Man in it, but also from what little we know about this show it seems crazy to think they'd lead with anything heavily Adamy because that would really kind of dilute Adora's whole thing, right? It's hard to imagine that this will be a show that says "here's a chick who bounced out of a boything". However they choose to address Adam - if they ever do - I'm sure they'll execute it well, but I wouldn't want to guess what that would look like at this point. For all we know the pilot will be packed with surprise MOTU junk, though I doubt it!

There will inevitably be people watching who just can't get past Where Is He-Man, and I will struggle to avoid being one of them because I'm old and to me these characters go together by default, but one imagines I'm not necessarily the demo the show is keen to capture. Seems like there's a solid team behind this show and hopefully they'll hit it out of the park and nobody will give a shit about He-Man.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#6 unluckiness

unluckiness

WARGARBARBL

• Citizen
  • 17656 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:40 AM

I dunno, if the He-Man franchise proper isnt popular enough to support itself, I dont expect a He-man spinoff to do any better. I guess the netflix distribution could make the difference but Im skeptical of its chances for success.

And maybe they can actually use the swords as swords this time

pDHhVB1.jpg

#7 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Administrator
  • 47579 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:50 AM

Yeah, there's at least as much nostalgia out there for She-Ra as for He-Man and they've always seemed like pretty independent products based on the same model to me. This isn't a case like the Venom movie where I think they're necessarily going to lose something by leaving out the parent franchise. I definitely don't think either is more dependent on the other, so I'd think if you can try and fail to reboot MotU, you can try to reboot She-Ra, too.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#8 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 20877 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

Ignoring any relevant context or whatever I think the names "She-ra" and "Hordak" sound better than "He-man" and "Skeletor".

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 19 May 2018 - 06:59 AM.

#9 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Merry Vengeance! And to all a good fight!

• Staff
  • 12036 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:56 AM

The "...and the Princessess of Power" is new. I mean, She-Ra was The Princess of Power. This seems like its going in an interesting direction.

Was the original She-Ra in another world, seperate from Eternia? If so then i can certainly see how they can introduce Adora with little or no He-Man baggage. Possibly.

EDIT: I'd say Skeletor is on a par with Hordak for cool villain name. But , She-Ra is better than He Man.

Edited by GodSentinelOmega, 19 May 2018 - 07:01 AM.

fslookup.jpg

#10 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 63506 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

I'm looking forward to this.

ACItEK8.png

#11 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Administrator
  • 47579 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

Was the original She-Ra in another world, seperate from Eternia? If so then i can certainly see how they can introduce Adora with little or no He-Man baggage. Possibly.

Yeah, it's a whole parallel thing.  Fighting Hordak in place of Skeletor on Etheria in place of Eternia, transforms using her own Sword of Protection instead of the Power Sword, which has to do with Castle Grayskull but also the Crystal Castle. She's introduced as He-Man's long-lost brother and meets him for her introduction, but otherwise it's just this entire rebranded set of MotU things and no interaction with MotU.

#12 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2612 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:25 AM

My thoughts to this are, it could be really good or really bad. I never saw much of the original He-man series, even less of She-ra, I saw some of that futurtic spin off of He-man, where he not longer looks like a barbarian but I don't recall it that well, I saw the last He-man series completely and I couldn't understand why it didn't get a third season because it was pretty good, but then I could say the same about the Thundercats series from a few years ago, that was pretty good. Anyway, I think the idea behind this She-ra series is to help balance out the sucess that is Voltron, Voltron is kind of aimmed at boys primary with most of the cast being men, so they clearly want to do something for the girls and not go like a lot of other shows aimmed at girls, something a bit more action packed, but time will tell. who knows, maybe He-man will do what She-ra did when it first came along, spin out of the series.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#13 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1232 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:48 AM

I don't super care but at least it means Jordan Fischer is in work for a bit. I kind of do want to be excited, but it feels like this'll fall in that "This is taking itself too seriously"/'This is waaaaaay too goofy" dichotomy that Western Animation is stuck in (I mean, the other reveal was that terrible Thundercats reboot).

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Elon Musk's 'Biggest Fan'✰

#14 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35858 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

I'm eager for this, I've always prefered She-Ra to He-Man, even watching it recently She-Ra feels like a more mature cartoon then He-Man. She-Ra is part of a group of Rebels, fighting against an evil Empire, It's almost the exact oppisite of He-Man. On Etheria evil's won, Hordak rules all and does everythign he can to stay in power. You got a group that's mostly  fighting with swords and bows and the occasional magic user, vs a group that's got tanks, death rays, and endless robotic soldiers. Even with her super powers, She-Ra and her co-horts are behind the 8-ball, and a lot of plots tend to show that. You get episodes dealing with regular civilians trying to survive this war and weither they should support She-Ra and potentially be killed by the Horde for it, or keep their heads down and try to be loyal citizens in hopes they won't catch a hordesman on a bad day they ruins their lives for no reason. You got an episode about  book burning and how Hordak is trying to erase anything that claims the horde hasn't always been in power. You got an episode where Hordak's super weapon uses prisoners as batteries, draining them of their lives. 

For a Filmation series, a series aimed at girls, and just an 80's cartoon in general, this shit gets surprisingly dark at times. Sure good always wins out in the end, and their is still a level of humor about everything, but this has an on-going storyline, not as continous as what you see nowadays, but it was still telling a story where stuff would come back later and still be important. If you got Netflix, the whole  seires is on there last I checked. Seriously try and watch it, its got a lot of good and interestign stuff in it. And I hope, espically since this is Dreamwave and we know from Voltron they can do a damn good job, that this tries to keep some of those themes and ideas around.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#15 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Administrator
  • 47579 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

I don't super care but at least it means Jordan Fischer is in work for a bit. I kind of do want to be excited, but it feels like this'll fall in that "This is taking itself too seriously"/'This is waaaaaay too goofy" dichotomy that Western Animation is stuck in (I mean, the other reveal was that terrible Thundercats reboot).

Love it or hate it, Voltron has at least managed to show that a Western show, even based on an existing property, can at least hit that balance. Again, whether you like either the humor or the drama actually involved, but it's capable of both.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 19 May 2018 - 07:59 AM.

#16 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40484 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:03 AM

Dreamworks has been pretty good on both animation on story on almost all of what they've done on netflix so far. Sure, trollhunter is more of their baseline CG stuff which was never very emotive or expressive to begin with, but the story is spot on awesome.

If they do for she-ra what they did with voltron: yeah, it could be damned good. There's lots of basic story elements in she-ra could create a grand scene to tell a story in: and without the bother of early 80's TV censors to demand an unreasonable standard for broadcasting...

There's potential here. Lots of it. I think I will try it.

#17 Steadfast

Steadfast

rar

• Citizen
  • 139 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:41 AM

argh when can we get Orko and the Sorcerors of Trolla?

it better be soonish or i'll do something pointless and stupid

(Orko was the real hero)

#18 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2285 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

I don't see Mantenna on the cast list...

C'monnn... Y'gotta have Mantenna! Who is Hordak gonna toss down his trap door?

#19 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 9957 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

Speaking as someone who's only vaguely interested in He-Man and the mythos surrounding him...this has gotten me curious.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#20 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35858 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

I don't see Mantenna on the cast list...

C'monnn... Y'gotta have Mantenna! Who is Hordak gonna toss down his trap door?

heh, being the Horde's buttmonkey was his only use. As long as they keep him the useless lacky and didn't try to make him more serious I wouldn't mind him, but really there are much better characters for them to use. I'm more disapointed about the lack of Imp, he was a wonderfully bratty character that had some good use as essentually Hordak's eyes and I loved his interactions with Hordak and the others becuase that little asshole could get away with just about anything.

...Shit they're also missing Madam Razz and Cowl. That's like making a He-Man reboot without Orko...

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users