Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

Photo
- - - - -

Thundercats Roar! New comedy from Cartoon Network.

244 replies to this topic

#41 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48070 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

Nothing is allowed to die. Everything that has name recognition, to any degree, is a resource to be mined.

ANCIENT SPIRITS OF EVIL...TRANSFORM THIS DECAYED FLESH...

#42 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1403 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

Nothing is allowed to die. Everything that has name recognition, to any degree, is a resource to be mined.

As it shoulld be. It's all meat for the butcher's block, no matter how sacred some find the cattle.

You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#43 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

I have no attachment to ThunderCats. I have an attachment to cartoons and the need to pretend they can sometimes be more than an infinite recursion of cash-ins on existing brand recognition and markets. This show exists because people will kinda vaguely recognize the name, and will perform better than a similar cartoon without that bump, because human psychology is stupid that way.
Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#44 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1361 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

Well, it has some of my favorite voice actors in it, so that is at least a plus. I'll probably give it a try just for that. Having a good cast still can't always save a show.

Edited by Xellos, 18 May 2018 - 07:25 PM.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#45 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 3012 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

As it shoulld be. It's all meat for the butcher's block, no matter how sacred some find the cattle.

The cattle is rotten and riddled with maggots. Why would you want to eat that?!

#46 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15557 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

The fans upset that they can't rely on Thundercats branding to be 1) what it's away tried to be with the last show, and 2) what is functionally available in abundant supply in other source just without Lion-O. (Voltron, Castlevania, many many anime).

This show's existence is the punishment for thinking Robot Chicken was funny.
Woooo!

#47 NOIP

NOIP

A knockdown, dragout, rock and roll party in the streets.

• Citizen
  • 2311 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:49 PM

I enjoyed Thundercats when I was a kid.  I watched the  reboot from 2011 and found it interesting; at least they took the property seriously enough to try.  This is just a truckoad of no. 

It's just another "updated" property that wants to make it's mark in the word by ridiculing what came before.  Or so  it seems to me.

While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#48 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63285 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

Adventure Gem Cats!  - make everything look like the one thing you actually air so nobody notices it's not teen titans go again for hour 300

Edited by Destron D-69, 18 May 2018 - 09:24 PM.

#49 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52590 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:32 PM

I'm 100% ok with the idea of a comedy take on Thundercats.

Reinvention is better than stagnation by far and that includes reinvention of genre style.

That said, this is not my favorite art style for this type of show at all. I havn't really watched OKKO ever but I'm not a fan of the look.

I am willing to give this a look though and judge it after watching a few.

-ZacWilliam, Thundercats is not something that absolutely demands being serious and goofy/stupid and a living property is better than being the corpse that is Joe or He-man imo.

Pretty much that.

The property is effectively dead and THIS is a far better move (even if it fails) than Super 7 churning out 80's rehashes for $40 each.

Then let it rest in peace.

Why? Fans should ideally want a property they are fans of to thrive, not just exist.

I hated Beast Wars (at the time) but later came to rightfully appreciate it.

Look at everything we have now because of it!

:remembers the live action movies:

Look at most things we have now because of it!

card-strongarm.jpg

#50 Steadfast

Steadfast

rar

• Citizen
  • 143 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:34 PM

oh god that hair

Seriously, though, 2011 ThunderCats was great, and it's kind of a shame that this looks to be a parody/rehash of the original instead of something more new.

Anyway, the art style annoys me beyond reason and I really miss the earlier reboot, so maybe I'm just old and cranky.

#51 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 8814 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

Yeah, they can do cartoons that look like Steven Universe and Adventure time forever if they're all as awesome as those shows.

-ZacWilliam, great shows are great.

The fact that those shows are written and structured well doesn't make the art style a good choice. In SU's case it holds the series back, nothing about SU is the dopey comedy show the art implies it is. 

I think that may be part of the intention?  Definitely in Adventure Time's case.  It seems to be deliberately using the cartoony style as a way of highlighting the horror of the world in which Finn lives.

I thought it was because Pen Ward couldn't draw.

#52 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7698 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:51 PM

On conflict between the look of SU and the content... I don't get it. It is what it is and it looks like what it looks like, I think that's enough, but beyond that surely the look largely comes from Rebecca Sugar and if it had been gestated in a different aesthetisphere it probably wouldn't be the show we know and love.

On Thundercats... love the original, love the 2011 reboot; it was the Netflix Voltron of its day and its premature demise is a tragedy but it was too beautiful to live. This new show... I like the designs. It's a weird direction to choose for Thundercats but the property chosen is probably fairly irrelevant; presumably they wanted some other established thing to inflict a TTG-style makeover on and from the studios' perspective it probably didn't much matter which one they chose. If it's just goofy humour and cute designs like TTG (though frankly I'd say this looks better design-wise) then my family and I will enjoy it. If it pulls an AT/SU/GF/etc and throws in some hardcore character development or ongoing mystery or such, we'll enjoy it even more. If it takes off it will hopefully bring some attention to the earlier incarnations and eventually pay off for classic fans.

I don't see a downside at this point, although the show may of course turn out to be radioactive faeces. I'm happy to cross my (cat) fingers.
  • SoS likes this

WsuGTl1.jpg

#53 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48070 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

Serious response time: The fact I look on this style of animation with revulsion and I see the hairstyle choice of the animation head and immediately want to reach for a pair of scissors tells me that this is not a property aimed at me or my demographic.

And that's okay.

It's much the same vein I figure old fans of Looney Tunes thought when Tiny Toons - or even the latest Looney Tunes show - debuted. In the end, not everything has to be for us.

I hope this new Thundercats show succeeds the way they want it to. I won't be partaking.

Edited by Rust, 19 May 2018 - 02:32 AM.

#54 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Citizen
  • 23054 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:55 AM

Well that intro looks better than anything attached to the Thundercats name has any right to be. Really well animated, too.

The other clips aren't great but eh, I'll check it out.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#55 B-Fox

B-Fox
  • Citizen
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

WB Executive 1: So, that Thundercats franchise we got? We kind of botched remaking it already by producing a new series made by a bunch of people that openly hated it and through piss-poor scheduling made sure nobody could watch it. What's next?

WB Executive 2: How about a Carlarts comedy show because Thundercats lends itself to comedy because it's so stupid? 

MAH GEEWUN/MAH EYEDEEDUBBYA GOSPEL COMICS. The new eternal struggle

#56 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23850 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:14 AM

I'm 100% ok with the idea of a comedy take on Thundercats.

Reinvention is better than stagnation by far and that includes reinvention of genre style.

That said, this is not my favorite art style for this type of show at all. I havn't really watched OKKO ever but I'm not a fan of the look.

I am willing to give this a look though and judge it after watching a few.

-ZacWilliam, Thundercats is not something that absolutely demands being serious and goofy/stupid and a living property is better than being the corpse that is Joe or He-man imo.

Pretty much that.

The property is effectively dead and THIS is a far better move (even if it fails) than Super 7 churning out 80's rehashes for $40 each.

Then let it rest in peace.

Why? Fans should ideally want a property they are fans of to thrive, not just exist.

I hated Beast Wars (at the time) but later came to rightfully appreciate it.

Look at everything we have now because of it!

:remembers the live action movies:

Look at most things we have now because of it!

I dunno, this feels like valuing branding itself over the themes, setting and plot points and whatnot. Is "something called Thundercats but thematically very different" really preferable to like, "something that thematically resembles Thundercats but isn't called that and uses completely different character designs"?

Okay, maybe this question would make more sense if the topic at hand was something more successful than Thundercats.

#57 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7698 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:26 AM

It's a miracle that Transformers hasn't had this kind of treatment yet.

Also:

Is "something called Thundercats but thematically very different" really preferable to like, "something that thematically resembles Thundercats but isn't called that and uses completely different character designs"? Okay, maybe this question would make more sense if the topic at hand was something more successful than Thundercats.

While TF hasn't had this kind of treatment yet, it's probably had both of the models above, surely? Taking G1 as our baseline obviously.

Edited by Maruten, 19 May 2018 - 04:30 AM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#58 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23850 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:59 AM

I guess Tonka GoBots counts as "thematically similar but isn't called Transformers".

Beast Wars did hit a few similar notes even before it turned out they were on Earth during the time the Autobots and Decepticons were dormant. Like how it initially seemed like Megatron mainly took his crew there for the boatloads of Energon. And it was pointed out in a different thread that it had a similar treatment of fight scenes as G1.

I mean, even when they are at war, it's not like the war is treated like an actual war. Like, I'm imagining some fictional seminar of Cybertronian military history. There's just random battles with no clear end games in sight...which I guess explains the millions of year war.

Every time the war ends, it's due to some unforseen cosmic circumstance like Unicron (lots of time unicron) or whatever that combined monstrosity was called in IDW.

It's worth noting that while Predacons and Maximal did fight on prehistoric Earth, the Autobot/Decepticon conflict was over.

As of now, our best stories happen once the war stops. Sorry not sorry.

Which is interesting, since Beast Wars had them doing almost exactly the same sort of thing the G1 Transformers were doing, which was ultimately "whatever He-Man is doing".

I guess the closest thing to "officially Transformers but doesn't use any of the usual themes and plot points" would be like, the Q-Transformers cartoon.

#59 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:00 AM

I dunno, this feels like valuing branding itself over the themes, setting and plot points and whatnot. 

Yeah, so very, very much this. 

On conflict between the look of SU and the content... I don't get it. It is what it is and it looks like what it looks like, I think that's enough, but beyond that surely the look largely comes from Rebecca Sugar and if it had been gestated in a different aesthetisphere it probably wouldn't be the show we know and love.

No, it'd be a different better thing and you'd have never heard of the other instead, because that is how history works. The pilot had another different look from also Rebecca Sugar, if officialdom helps you process the concept. Is the idea of moving outside of sheer uncritical consumption and literally "I like this thing because It looks like the thing that I like which is it" - is it entirely unappealing to you to try and step back to consider these things from outside?

Edited by Copper Bezel, 19 May 2018 - 05:00 AM.

• D.M likes this
Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#60 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3896 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:13 AM

Amazing.  Just....amazing.

Ironbite-way to kill another property dea...TEEN TITANS GO IS ENDING!

wait...TTG is ending? or is this just wishful thinking on your part, man?

• D.M likes this

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

I see behind a thousand lies that you try to hide

I bleed inside: you left your knife but I'm still alive
I...love the way you kill me
I love the way you watch me die

Life or death a bullet to the chest
I'd do it again...
Just when I think I've cut you out
You come with open arms to drag me down

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic