Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

Photo
- - - - -

Thundercats Roar! New comedy from Cartoon Network.

214 replies to this topic

#41 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46955 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

Nothing is allowed to die. Everything that has name recognition, to any degree, is a resource to be mined.

ANCIENT SPIRITS OF EVIL...TRANSFORM THIS DECAYED FLESH...

#42 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1285 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

Nothing is allowed to die. Everything that has name recognition, to any degree, is a resource to be mined.

As it shoulld be. It's all meat for the butcher's block, no matter how sacred some find the cattle.

LOOKDOWN.png

#43 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50765 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

I have no attachment to ThunderCats. I have an attachment to cartoons and the need to pretend they can sometimes be more than an infinite recursion of cash-ins on existing brand recognition and markets. This show exists because people will kinda vaguely recognize the name, and will perform better than a similar cartoon without that bump, because human psychology is stupid that way.
Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#44 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1305 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

Well, it has some of my favorite voice actors in it, so that is at least a plus. I'll probably give it a try just for that. Having a good cast still can't always save a show.

Edited by Xellos, 18 May 2018 - 07:25 PM.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#45 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2985 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

As it shoulld be. It's all meat for the butcher's block, no matter how sacred some find the cattle.

The cattle is rotten and riddled with maggots. Why would you want to eat that?!

#46 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15482 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

The fans upset that they can't rely on Thundercats branding to be 1) what it's away tried to be with the last show, and 2) what is functionally available in abundant supply in other source just without Lion-O. (Voltron, Castlevania, many many anime).

This show's existence is the punishment for thinking Robot Chicken was funny.
Woooo!

#47 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2277 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:49 PM

I enjoyed Thundercats when I was a kid.  I watched the  reboot from 2011 and found it interesting; at least they took the property seriously enough to try.  This is just a truckoad of no. 

It's just another "updated" property that wants to make it's mark in the word by ridiculing what came before.  Or so  it seems to me.

While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#48 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

We the North

• Supporter
  • 62657 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

Adventure Gem Cats!  - make everything look like the one thing you actually air so nobody notices it's not teen titans go again for hour 300

Edited by Destron D-69, 18 May 2018 - 09:24 PM.

#49 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52236 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:32 PM

I'm 100% ok with the idea of a comedy take on Thundercats.

Reinvention is better than stagnation by far and that includes reinvention of genre style.

That said, this is not my favorite art style for this type of show at all. I havn't really watched OKKO ever but I'm not a fan of the look.

I am willing to give this a look though and judge it after watching a few.

-ZacWilliam, Thundercats is not something that absolutely demands being serious and goofy/stupid and a living property is better than being the corpse that is Joe or He-man imo.

Pretty much that.

The property is effectively dead and THIS is a far better move (even if it fails) than Super 7 churning out 80's rehashes for $40 each.

Then let it rest in peace.

Why? Fans should ideally want a property they are fans of to thrive, not just exist.

I hated Beast Wars (at the time) but later came to rightfully appreciate it.

Look at everything we have now because of it!

:remembers the live action movies:

Look at most things we have now because of it!

card-strongarm.jpg

#50 Steadfast

Steadfast

rar

• Citizen
  • 142 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:34 PM

oh god that hair

Seriously, though, 2011 ThunderCats was great, and it's kind of a shame that this looks to be a parody/rehash of the original instead of something more new.

Anyway, the art style annoys me beyond reason and I really miss the earlier reboot, so maybe I'm just old and cranky.

#51 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 8443 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

Yeah, they can do cartoons that look like Steven Universe and Adventure time forever if they're all as awesome as those shows.

-ZacWilliam, great shows are great.

The fact that those shows are written and structured well doesn't make the art style a good choice. In SU's case it holds the series back, nothing about SU is the dopey comedy show the art implies it is. 

I think that may be part of the intention?  Definitely in Adventure Time's case.  It seems to be deliberately using the cartoony style as a way of highlighting the horror of the world in which Finn lives.

I thought it was because Pen Ward couldn't draw.

#52 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7410 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:51 PM

On conflict between the look of SU and the content... I don't get it. It is what it is and it looks like what it looks like, I think that's enough, but beyond that surely the look largely comes from Rebecca Sugar and if it had been gestated in a different aesthetisphere it probably wouldn't be the show we know and love.

On Thundercats... love the original, love the 2011 reboot; it was the Netflix Voltron of its day and its premature demise is a tragedy but it was too beautiful to live. This new show... I like the designs. It's a weird direction to choose for Thundercats but the property chosen is probably fairly irrelevant; presumably they wanted some other established thing to inflict a TTG-style makeover on and from the studios' perspective it probably didn't much matter which one they chose. If it's just goofy humour and cute designs like TTG (though frankly I'd say this looks better design-wise) then my family and I will enjoy it. If it pulls an AT/SU/GF/etc and throws in some hardcore character development or ongoing mystery or such, we'll enjoy it even more. If it takes off it will hopefully bring some attention to the earlier incarnations and eventually pay off for classic fans.

I don't see a downside at this point, although the show may of course turn out to be radioactive faeces. I'm happy to cross my (cat) fingers.
  • SoS likes this

WsuGTl1.jpg

#53 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46955 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

Serious response time: The fact I look on this style of animation with revulsion and I see the hairstyle choice of the animation head and immediately want to reach for a pair of scissors tells me that this is not a property aimed at me or my demographic.

And that's okay.

It's much the same vein I figure old fans of Looney Tunes thought when Tiny Toons - or even the latest Looney Tunes show - debuted. In the end, not everything has to be for us.

I hope this new Thundercats show succeeds the way they want it to. I won't be partaking.

Edited by Rust, 19 May 2018 - 02:32 AM.

#54 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Citizen
  • 22759 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:55 AM

Well that intro looks better than anything attached to the Thundercats name has any right to be. Really well animated, too.

The other clips aren't great but eh, I'll check it out.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#55 B-Fox

B-Fox
  • Citizen
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

WB Executive 1: So, that Thundercats franchise we got? We kind of botched remaking it already by producing a new series made by a bunch of people that openly hated it and through piss-poor scheduling made sure nobody could watch it. What's next?

WB Executive 2: How about a Carlarts comedy show because Thundercats lends itself to comedy because it's so stupid? 

MAH GEEWUN/MAH EYEDEEDUBBYA GOSPEL COMICS. The new eternal struggle

#56 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23293 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:14 AM

I'm 100% ok with the idea of a comedy take on Thundercats.

Reinvention is better than stagnation by far and that includes reinvention of genre style.

That said, this is not my favorite art style for this type of show at all. I havn't really watched OKKO ever but I'm not a fan of the look.

I am willing to give this a look though and judge it after watching a few.

-ZacWilliam, Thundercats is not something that absolutely demands being serious and goofy/stupid and a living property is better than being the corpse that is Joe or He-man imo.

Pretty much that.

The property is effectively dead and THIS is a far better move (even if it fails) than Super 7 churning out 80's rehashes for $40 each.

Then let it rest in peace.

Why? Fans should ideally want a property they are fans of to thrive, not just exist.

I hated Beast Wars (at the time) but later came to rightfully appreciate it.

Look at everything we have now because of it!

:remembers the live action movies:

Look at most things we have now because of it!

I dunno, this feels like valuing branding itself over the themes, setting and plot points and whatnot. Is "something called Thundercats but thematically very different" really preferable to like, "something that thematically resembles Thundercats but isn't called that and uses completely different character designs"?

Okay, maybe this question would make more sense if the topic at hand was something more successful than Thundercats.

#57 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7410 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:26 AM

It's a miracle that Transformers hasn't had this kind of treatment yet.

Also:

Is "something called Thundercats but thematically very different" really preferable to like, "something that thematically resembles Thundercats but isn't called that and uses completely different character designs"? Okay, maybe this question would make more sense if the topic at hand was something more successful than Thundercats.

While TF hasn't had this kind of treatment yet, it's probably had both of the models above, surely? Taking G1 as our baseline obviously.

Edited by Maruten, 19 May 2018 - 04:30 AM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#58 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23293 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:59 AM

I guess Tonka GoBots counts as "thematically similar but isn't called Transformers".

Beast Wars did hit a few similar notes even before it turned out they were on Earth during the time the Autobots and Decepticons were dormant. Like how it initially seemed like Megatron mainly took his crew there for the boatloads of Energon. And it was pointed out in a different thread that it had a similar treatment of fight scenes as G1.

I mean, even when they are at war, it's not like the war is treated like an actual war. Like, I'm imagining some fictional seminar of Cybertronian military history. There's just random battles with no clear end games in sight...which I guess explains the millions of year war.

Every time the war ends, it's due to some unforseen cosmic circumstance like Unicron (lots of time unicron) or whatever that combined monstrosity was called in IDW.

It's worth noting that while Predacons and Maximal did fight on prehistoric Earth, the Autobot/Decepticon conflict was over.

As of now, our best stories happen once the war stops. Sorry not sorry.

Which is interesting, since Beast Wars had them doing almost exactly the same sort of thing the G1 Transformers were doing, which was ultimately "whatever He-Man is doing".

I guess the closest thing to "officially Transformers but doesn't use any of the usual themes and plot points" would be like, the Q-Transformers cartoon.

#59 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50765 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:00 AM

I dunno, this feels like valuing branding itself over the themes, setting and plot points and whatnot. 

Yeah, so very, very much this. 

On conflict between the look of SU and the content... I don't get it. It is what it is and it looks like what it looks like, I think that's enough, but beyond that surely the look largely comes from Rebecca Sugar and if it had been gestated in a different aesthetisphere it probably wouldn't be the show we know and love.

No, it'd be a different better thing and you'd have never heard of the other instead, because that is how history works. The pilot had another different look from also Rebecca Sugar, if officialdom helps you process the concept. Is the idea of moving outside of sheer uncritical consumption and literally "I like this thing because It looks like the thing that I like which is it" - is it entirely unappealing to you to try and step back to consider these things from outside?

Edited by Copper Bezel, 19 May 2018 - 05:00 AM.

• D.M likes this
Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#60 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3796 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:13 AM

Amazing.  Just....amazing.

Ironbite-way to kill another property dea...TEEN TITANS GO IS ENDING!

wait...TTG is ending? or is this just wishful thinking on your part, man?

• D.M likes this

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users