Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

@  -LittleAutob... : (09 July 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Okay?

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM)

Oof-

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

Photo
- - - - -

Thundercats Roar! New comedy from Cartoon Network.

242 replies to this topic

#21 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23763 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:14 PM

I feel like straight limbs with single joints in the middle are going to be as much of a dated signifier of a bygone art style as the toothy, jowly, bouncing to music Max Fleischer stuff of the 1930s.

Did Fleischer cartoons actually look like that or is that a different stereotype?

Admittedly, my knowledge of those is mostly restricted to mentions of Fleischer Superman's influence on '90s DC cartoons.

edit: sorry if the question comes off weird but I am kind of curious.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 18 May 2018 - 05:27 PM.

#22 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3956 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

I doult I'll bother with this, I rather liked the last attempt at Thundercats but obviously something went wrong, I doult it will make much headway generally, it seems like the TV shows for kids these days are all about comedy and horrible animation to be shoved down the kids thoats. Only a very rare few shows are actually watchable these days because they got good story telling but honestly reducing Thundercats to whatever that is meant to be, seems like something you would more likely get in japan anime after a ep of a more serious show airred and then you get the parody of it which I tend to skip, in other words, I am extremely, unlikely to bother with this!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#23 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51466 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, they can do cartoons that look like Steven Universe and Adventure time forever if they're all as awesome as those shows.

-ZacWilliam, great shows are great.

The fact that those shows are written and structured well doesn't make the art style a good choice. In SU's case it holds the series back, nothing about SU is the dopey comedy show the art implies it is. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#24 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18692 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

I feel like straight limbs with single joints in the middle are going to be as much of a dated signifier of a bygone art style as the toothy, jowly, bouncing to music Max Fleischer stuff of the 1930s.

Did Fleischer cartoons actually look like that or is that a different stereotype?

Admittedly, my knowledge of those is mostly restricted to mentions of Fleischer Superman's influence on '90s DC cartoons.

edit: sorry if the question comes off weird but I am kind of curious.

Yeah it was a thing at the time.

nzo8WYb.png

#25 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3079 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

Boy I'm tired of that animation style. And vaguely worried by the way the producer there needs to make a huge point on how faithful and actiony it's going to be. I mean, every new adaption kinda needs to say that, but still.

Enjoyed the intro, though.

#26 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52532 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

Everything popular eventually goes out of style.

Theres really no platonic ideal to anything. ESPECIALLY when it comes to something as freeform as animation.

card-strongarm.jpg

#27 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8229 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

Thinking about it a bit more, I feel lile this would've been a great direction to take Heman. Maybe not the same animation style, but I see this approach benefiting that brand a bit more.

#28 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51466 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:09 PM

Sure, kids are trading He-Man memes on Facebook without having ever seen the series, right? I think it actually occupies the right space for it. But that's also due the fact that ThunderCats just isn't as big and memorable a property, even if they're similarly objectively terrible in retrospect.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#29 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2585 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

Every art movement goes through a renaissance, zenith and decadence. A new style comes on the scene (Adventure time) which inspires other artists who then perfect it and bring it to new heights (Steven Universe) only for it to lose itself and fall out of style. I have no doubt we've reached the decadence period now, sooner or later someone will try something new which will be the next big thing and the cycle will start all over again.

#30 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51466 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

I know it's a distinction without a difference, that a language is a dialect with an army and that a religion is a cult with ... also an army, but an art movement or style with a ten-year life cycle or shelf life is called a "fad".

Edited by Copper Bezel, 18 May 2018 - 06:17 PM.

#31 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2585 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

I guess my real question is "Who is this for?" The target audience won't even remember the 2011 remake let alone the 80's version. And the audience they seem to want to appeal to with the callbacks is pushing 40 and in general are not big fans of this style.

#32 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47887 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:29 PM

My reaction as summed up in 11 seconds of NSFW video.

Spoiler

• D.M likes this

#33 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51466 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

I guess my real question is "Who is this for?" The target audience won't even remember the 2011 remake let alone the 80's version. And the audience they seem to want to appeal to with the callbacks is pushing 40 and in general are not big fans of this style.

I'm most baffled how the video seems to call attention to that. "You don't know what a ThunderCat is?" All I can think is that we're looking at something like the push to unify Transformers branding, that everything can be an all-ages brand now and that they're hoping parents who remember ThunderCats will buy ThunderCats for their kids. 

#34 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18692 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, they can do cartoons that look like Steven Universe and Adventure time forever if they're all as awesome as those shows.

-ZacWilliam, great shows are great.

The fact that those shows are written and structured well doesn't make the art style a good choice. In SU's case it holds the series back, nothing about SU is the dopey comedy show the art implies it is. 

I think that may be part of the intention?  Definitely in Adventure Time's case.  It seems to be deliberately using the cartoony style as a way of highlighting the horror of the world in which Finn lives.

nzo8WYb.png

#35 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67283 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

Interesting.

Not what I was expecting.

ACItEK8.png

#36 spikeriley

spikeriley

Time To Go Turbo!

• Citizen
  • 3673 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

I swear,  if this ends up like Teens Titans Go, where it's mostly stupid humor that causes little kids to like it to the point where it gets renewed a lot and has episodes mocking fans of the original, then Cartoon Network has officially cemented itself as the home of horrid reboots that ruin childhood classics for the sake of money.

#37 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51466 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

I think that may be part of the intention?  Definitely in Adventure Time's case.  It seems to be deliberately using the cartoony style as a way of highlighting the horror of the world in which Finn lives.

It feels a lot more dissonant to me in SU, since Adventure Time's world just has more of the chaos and sociopathy you expect from a cartoon world that's not quite so tightly structured. Of course, I haven't seen a lot of AT and I've seen all of SU so far, so.

I have no doubt that the look helped SU actually happen, since it makes the series look more like an Adventure Time than, well, a ThunderCats 2011, both in the programming block and in the budget. I also think some of the ugliness plays into the thematic ideas that reality is messy and no one is perfect, etc. in ways that, like, an idealized superhero look or something couldn't, comically undercutting these otherwise complex and human characters and working against the general cultural notion that heroes have to be pretty. And it's animated well and there's some occasionally good action in there.

But there's also a whole segment of viewers of the genre that it is that it's not going to reach that way, despite its phenomenal content under the surface, and that's kinda unfortunate. Plus I have to look at it to get the story. = P

#38 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 3008 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

I'm 100% ok with the idea of a comedy take on Thundercats.

Reinvention is better than stagnation by far and that includes reinvention of genre style.

That said, this is not my favorite art style for this type of show at all. I havn't really watched OKKO ever but I'm not a fan of the look.

I am willing to give this a look though and judge it after watching a few.

-ZacWilliam, Thundercats is not something that absolutely demands being serious and goofy/stupid and a living property is better than being the corpse that is Joe or He-man imo.

Pretty much that.

The property is effectively dead and THIS is a far better move (even if it fails) than Super 7 churning out 80's rehashes for $40 each.

Then let it rest in peace.

#39 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51466 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

Nothing is allowed to die. Everything that has name recognition, to any degree, is a resource to be mined.

#40 M Virion

M Virion

Sure-footed, newly free

• Retired Staff
  • 19305 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:11 PM

As with anything that has an immediately off-putting art style I'll give it a chance before I judge it, but initial reactions aren't kind.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users