Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (26 March 2019 - 12:29 AM)

ALso him messing around with the wait staff is adorable.

@  unluckiness : (26 March 2019 - 12:29 AM)

That's why I prefer wasting my time on the Kitchen Nightmares channel to the Hell's Kitchen one. He actually talks about the food there rather than increasingly colorful insults.

@  fourteenwings : (26 March 2019 - 12:17 AM)

They know their audience; people looking for videos of Gordon Ramsay being censor-bleeped every five seconds.

@  unluckiness : (26 March 2019 - 12:13 AM)

Gordon Ramsay likes the food compilation - 6 minutes. Gordon Ramsay hates on the food video - 1 hour. I love whoever manages his Youtube channel.

@  Ashley : (25 March 2019 - 06:35 PM)

Yeah, motorized flywheels have changed things a lot

@  Benbot : (25 March 2019 - 06:31 PM)

I'm big into Nerf. The blasters they make today are 1000 times more advanced than anything we had when growing up. There's a thriving modding community too.

@  wonko the sane? : (25 March 2019 - 01:29 PM)

Eh... they're okay. But unless you routinely end up with people who also own/use them (like in college, or an office where the boss buggers off for hours at a time.) they usually just end up sitting around gathering dust because without someone to shoot and shoot back: they quickly get old.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (25 March 2019 - 01:27 PM)

Hmm. I don't think I have ever owned a Nerf gun in my life despite knowing of them for my entire life and liking the TV adverts.

@  Ashley : (24 March 2019 - 11:08 PM)

a stupid discovery while looking at some nerf guns: they make toilet paper blasters. it's basically an automatic spitball launcher, with a little water tank and a reel for you to put the toilet paper on.

@  MEDdMI : (24 March 2019 - 09:10 PM)

Everyone is a little stupid in their own snowflake way

@  ▲ndrusi : (24 March 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Personally I have a much higher tolerance for anecdotes about Stupid Americans when they come from other Americans.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 March 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Australia is British Florida.

@  Patch : (24 March 2019 - 06:11 PM)

What other country has its own Florida?

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 March 2019 - 12:23 PM)

Many of us are in fact aware that our country is ridiculous.

@  Arazyr : (24 March 2019 - 08:25 AM)

As an American, I have no problem with the amusing anecdotes he's been sharing. In fact, I've been enjoying them, and got no indication of smugness from any of them. Please continue. 8^)

@  The Doctor Who : (24 March 2019 - 06:00 AM)

Minnesota, but I think it's only mentioned in, like, a side comic or something.

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 March 2019 - 05:57 AM)

Ever wonder what state Carly was in after 'The Rebirth'.

@  fourteenwings : (24 March 2019 - 02:15 AM)

I don't think it's right to feel indignation at people telling you that Americans might also have feelings and you should consider them before squawking yet more things in the same vein.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Intervening? It's not like much of anything that happens in this box is prompted.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 March 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I suppose I would normally feel indignation right about now, but with you I am merely unsurprised that you are intervening in a conversation to express your typical brand of disapproval.

@  Cabooceratops : (24 March 2019 - 01:06 AM)

Nitefort x ]

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 12:50 AM)

I'm not super fond of Nevermore's habit of using the Shoutbox to complain about TFW users, but those usually seem to be things he's personally witnessed and not anecdotes that he only has confirmation bias to backup, so I can believe he isn't just being smug.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 12:47 AM)

Amusing? Don't try to pretend you aren't being selective by picking things that support a narrative you're building.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 12:46 AM)

Shield Agent: this and the previous anecdote didn't sound like you have any reason to believe them beyond confirmation bias, so bringing up these things compulsively achieves nothing beyond making you look smug.

@  fourteenwings : (24 March 2019 - 12:23 AM)

Well I guess Fortnite sounds cool? Maybe it made more sense before the gameplay started to focus on the Battle Royale bit?

@  fourteenwings : (24 March 2019 - 12:22 AM)

To be fair this is only a few days after your very comprehensive thing about St. Patrick's Day. Oh also I guess that thing about the Estonian currency exchange so that's like three entire "Americans!" squawks this week.

@  Maruten : (24 March 2019 - 12:22 AM)

Not that Nitefort is any more sensible obviously.

@  Maruten : (24 March 2019 - 12:21 AM)

I tend to forget that it's called Fortnite because my 3yo calls it "Nitefort" so that's how my whole family refers to it.

@  Maruten : (24 March 2019 - 12:21 AM)

I assume the name is derived from the fact that one can build forts? But the nite part is a stretch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 March 2019 - 12:17 AM)

Hence I thought it would be an amusing anecdote to share as I am not a gamer, but other pop culture-invested people here probably would be, and thus perhaps they would have different relevant experience to share.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 March 2019 - 12:16 AM)

In fact before now I did not feel "superior" for knowing the word "fortnight" because I was raised to believe it was a rare but standard term.

@  Copper Bezel : (23 March 2019 - 10:33 PM)

Eh, it's not a common word in the US, so ... like I sincerely hope no one's feeling superior about it but I wouldn't assume.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 March 2019 - 09:59 PM)

Shield Agent: What is up with your compulsion to bring up every anecdote that supports your superiority complex towards Americans?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 March 2019 - 09:22 PM)

What I don't get is: what is a game titled "two weeks" even about?

@  Trpodeca : (23 March 2019 - 09:16 PM)

What strange people

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 March 2019 - 09:11 PM)

Interesting. I have just been informed by several Britons and Australians that since the debut of Fortnite, they have encountered Yanks who do not believe that "fortnight" is a real word.

@  Kayla Kaon : (22 March 2019 - 09:22 PM)

https://discord.gg/jMPfJWk

@  Kayla Kaon : (22 March 2019 - 08:05 PM)

What is up sexy people! Everyone having fun tonight?

@  Rycochet : (22 March 2019 - 01:01 PM)

If they don't take it down or back off, then unfollow. At least then they'll know why people are distancing themselves.

@  Rycochet : (22 March 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Call them out because if nobody challenges them on nonsense, they'll only sink deeper into their rabbithole of stupidity.

@  Benbot : (22 March 2019 - 11:26 AM)

When someone makes a deliberately hateful and dishonest post on Facebook, do you angrily call them out on it, or just ignore or defriend them?

@  Xellos : (22 March 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Dunno, I did watch Combiner Wars...

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 04:37 AM)

Also, nobody try watching last year's Stargate Origins: Catherine "webisode". My god, I've never seen anything so atrocious

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 04:36 AM)

Having watched the full decade's' worth of episodes during the last 4 or so weeks, the cult leader Goa'uld was Setesh/"Seth"

@  Pennpenn : (22 March 2019 - 04:00 AM)

I missed a whole bunch of stuff in the Squawkbox. Huh. It's been a long week.

@  Pennpenn : (22 March 2019 - 03:52 AM)

That or Old Testament God with his whole nuking cities, random plagues, brutal pogroms, absurd set ups to test followers faiths, etc etc as a very not rogue Goa'uld.

@  Pennpenn : (22 March 2019 - 03:48 AM)

1) Spite. 2) I'm fairly sure at least one episode did actually have a Goa'uld who'd be hiding out on Earth since the rebellion and had been host swapping and running cults, 3) mostly yeah spiteful contrivance to see Christain groups lose their collective shit.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 02:49 AM)

If you don't take paypal, and the item isn't a local pickup (in which case Cash is acceptable), I'm pretty sure you need to have some alternative credit card processor you're able to take payment through

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 02:48 AM)

Technically eBay doesn't own Paypal anymore, but even so I haven't seen an auction in years that didn't take Paypal as a form of payment.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 March 2019 - 11:01 PM)

I was gonna ask "aren't eBay and Paypal basically the same people" but turns out that hasn't been true for a while.

Photo
- - - - -

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 11460 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:06 AM

I see a little silhouette of a man...

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#2 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1842 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

I think he was a perfect choice for Flash Gordon...Come to think of it, he was perfect in Highlander too.

Edited by Ryougabot, 15 May 2018 - 11:20 AM.

"Expect me when I arrive" - G'kar
Ryougabot

#3 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Sailor Salarymen

• Supporter
  • 60926 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

this movie ... my word I think I'm going to watch it a dozen times 

#4 Star-A-Star

Star-A-Star

To me, Meowlnir!

• Citizen
  • 6297 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:12 PM

They certainly seemed to have nailed the casting and it has the Brian May seal of approval, so I'm optimistic.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#5 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27327 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

They're omitting the AIDs crisis.

https://www.indy100....xuality-8353886

Ironbite-soooooooooooooooooo....there's that.

xC9l3eY.gif

#6 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 2777 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

I'm not too surprised about that, considering what Sacha Baron Cohen has said about the direction of the film, and why he chose to leave:

https://www.rollings...biopic-20160308

#7 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 12545 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:51 PM

So, I just came back from watching the film, and... it was... okay.

Spoiler warning!

Now, I'm a longtime Queen fan (*points at own username*), and I found the casting and performances pretty good (in particular, Joseph Mazzello's similarity to the real John Deacon is just eery, and Gwilym Lee's Brian May voice is spot on), but the plot was a bit... odd.

The one thing that really bothered me was how much they messed up the timeline for the sake of drama. Events occur vastly out of order, while events that actually happened years apart are conflated into one singular event just so the plot they want to tell works, and worst of all, a lot of songs in the film occur (as in, are written/recorded/released) at much different points than in the real world.

Just a couple of things I noticed:

- Prior to Queen, "Freddie Bulsara" had been the singer of short-lived bands named Wreckage and Ibex, which is completely glossed over by the film.
- Also, Freddie went to Ealing Art College, where he earned a diploma in Art and Graphic Design.
- In reality, Freddie had not only been a fan of Brian and Roger's original band Smile for a while, but had also befriended their original singer Tim Staffell. Freddie and the three Smile members supposedly even shared an apartment for a while! Supposedly, it was Freddie himself who convinced the unhappy Staffell to quit so he could join the band. (Staffell later went on to become the singer of short-lived band Morgan, named after one of the members, Mott the Hoople keyboarder Morgan Fisher, and later worked as a model maker and designer, among other things.)
- Freddie didn't meet Mary Austin the same night he joined the band. In reality, Freddie met Mary at the clothing store she was working at, when he was already the band's singer, and allegedly it took him six months to finally ask her out. In fact, she was originally dating Brian May, until Freddie asked Brian if his relationship with Mary was "serious", and if he could ask her out.
- The fateful malfunction of Freddie's microphone stand that resulted in him picking up a microphone stand without a base as his trademark stage prop sure didn't happen during his first performance with the band.
- John Deacon didn't sign on as Queen's bassist until 1971, by which time the band had already performed with Freddie for a bit. In fact, he was only the band's fourth bassist.
- Freddie's name change happened much earlier. "Freddie" was originally a nickname he had gained in college (presumably because nobody could pronounce "Farrokh"), while "Mercury" was, according to Brian May himself, inspired by a line from a song on their first album "(My Fairy King" from "Queen", which featured the line "Mother Mercury, look what they've done to me").
- Queen's audience back in their early days weren't the "misfits that don't belong". They were a glam rock/hard rock band that attracted the same type of audience that would also listen to any other similar band from the same era.
- Queen's first US tour occurred much earlier than presented in the film, in 1974, promoting their second album ("Queen II"), although they were only the supporting act for Mott The Hoople. The song "Now I'm Here", which is on their third album ("Sheer Heart Attack"), the same album that features "Killer Queen", references the experience of that tour ("down in the city, just Hoople and me").
- The song "Fat Bottomed Girls" was featured on Queens fifth album, "A Day At the Races", which didn't come out until two years after their first US tour.
- EMI executive Ray Foster (played by Mike Myers) is completely made up. He's supposedly a composite of several EMI executives, which include Roy Featherstone (who was much more supportive of the band than his fictionalized movie replacement) and Paul Watts (who was genuinely critical of "Bohemian Rhapsody").
- Could somebody please explain to me why the film keeps making fun of "I'm In Love With My Car"? It's a perfectly decent song (a tribute to one of the band's roadies) and was often sung by Roger himself on their concerts. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with "You're My Best Friend", and it was released as the second single from the "A Night At The Opera" album.
- Speaking of "A Night At The Opera", it was simply named after the Marx Brothers film, just like the following album, "A Day At the Races".
- "We Will Rock You" was included on the "News of the World" album that came out in 1977. In the film, Brian doesn't come up with the idea until after the date "1980" is explicitly shown on-screen. Freddie was performing the song with the band long before he long before he cut his hair and grew a mustache.
- Speaking of that mustache: The man of Freddie's dreams was actor Burt Reynolds, but because he was (as far as I know) completely straight, Freddie never stood a chance with him. Freddie grew his mustache to resemble his idol more, and his various lovers also shared the same look. (In the film, Brian at one point calls Paul Prenter a "clone" of Freddie's.)
- Queen (or, to be more precise, Freddie's flamboyant image) started alienating a prude American audience long before the release of their controversial video to "I Want To Break Free" in 1984. Supposedly, the crowd at 1980 shows already threw razors on the stage in an apparent attempt to get him to shave off that 'stache, and John Deacon admitted in an interview as early as 1981 that they were alienating many of the fans in the US because of Freddie's playing with his not-really-ambiguous appearance.
- Speaking of "We Will Rock You", the film features it as a show opener, but in reality, Queen would typically play a lesser-known fast version as a show-opener for a few years (until it was replaced by other songs on subsequent tours), while the better-known "slow" version has to my knowledge always been used at the end of their performances for the remainder of their stage career, always immediately followed by "We Are the Champions" (except for the 1986 "Magic" tour, when they featured "Friends Will Be Friends" in between the two songs).
- "Another One Bites The Dust" came out long before the band's "disco" era that resulted in the album "Hot Space" (1982). In reality, it was already featured on the album "The Game" (1980).
- That party scene features a little person as a servant who is supposedly serving drugs to attendants. This was the subject of a long-running myth among Queen fans, something Roger Taylor has vehemently denied for years. How would he have known? See, the biggest party animal in the band besides Freddie? Yup, that was Roger.
- Freddie didn't fire their manager John Reid in the early 1980s. He and the band parted ways as early as 1977, supposedly on friendly terms.
- Freddie also didn't fire his personal assistant and hanger-on Paul Prenter prior to Live Aid. Despite conflicts that began as early as the 1982 "Hot Space" album, he continued in his position until 1986, long after Live Aid. Allegedly, Freddie finally got rid of him (both professionally and privately) after Prenter had thrown a party at Freddie's residence, which ended with the place trashed. After a falling-out, Prenter threatened to reveal salacious details from Freddie's private life to the public, resulting in him giving an interview to UK tabloid The Sun. In the film, Prenter instead gives a TV interview to the same effect.
- Freddie pursuing a solo career is presented as a controversial move that almost broke up the band for good, but in reality, it was Roger who first released a solo single ("I Wanna Testify") as early as 1977, then a solo album ("Fun in Space") in 1981, followed by a Brian May solo album ("Star Fleet Project") in 1983, and then a second Roger Taylor solo album ("Strange Frontier") in 1984, all of them before Freddie would release his first solo album.
- As far as I know, Freddie contracted HIV during his days in the Munich gay scene. The film places his infection much earlier, and he is already showing symptoms of AIDS during the promotion of the "Hot Space" album. In real life, he supposedly didn't get diagnosed until long after Live Aid, and thus, he also didn't tell the band about his condition prior to the concert, but that's minor compared to the next problem...
- That huge break-up that supposedly lasted multiple years? Yeah, that didn't happen. Several members have gone on record stating that each of them quit the band at different points, on multiple occasions, but they always came back - and it never lasted even remotely as long as it was shown on screen. It was more like "That's it, I quit. - Sorry, guys, will you still let me back in?" In reality, Queen recorded an entire album ("The Works") in 1984, and while Freddie's first solo album, "Mr. Bad Guy", was largely recorded during a time when Queen were on a recording hiatus, they still went on an extended tour in 1984, which ended only two months before Live Aid. So much for "we haven't been performing together for years". Hell, during the real Live Aid concert, you can see people in the audience with then very recent "Queen Works" scarves.
- Collective songwriting credits for simply "Queen" didn't happen until the album "The Miracle" (1989). The aforementioned "A Kind of Magic" album, which came out after Live Aid, still featured individual songwriting credits, with the exception of "One Vision", but that is a result of the complicated history of the song's creation.
- As part of the "Works" tour, Queen played several concerts in South Africa, which was highly controversial at the time because the country had been widely isolated by the rest of the world due to the oppressive Apartheid regime. This is completely glossed over in the film.
- That dramatic pause before Freddie starts playing the first piano notes of "Bohemian Rhapsody" during Live Aid also never happened. They went on stage and Freddie immediately began to play.
- During the entire movie, a lot of songs are cut for time. Lines, complete verses and, in the case of the Live Aid performance, even two entire songs ("Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and a truncated "We Will Rock You") are omitted. (Also, Freddie and Brian returned to the stage later that day to perform an acoustic ballad, "Is This The World We Created?")
- Yeah, phones didn't ring during Live Aid until Queen went on stage. Suuuuuuuure. Somewhere, Bob Geldof is getting real dizzy from shaking his head.
- Live Aid was by far not the last major performance by Queen. Rather, the concert was seen by many as a return to form for the band. Subsequently, they recorded several songs that would be featured in a certain film named "Highlander" (including "Who Wants To Live Forever", which is featured before Live Aid in the film), reworked some of those songs (there was never an official "Highlander" soundtrack) and released them as an album ("A Kind of Magic"), and then went on another tour to promote the album, which saw the band return to Wembley Stadium, the stage they had owned during Live Aid, for two consecutive nights, the second of which was released as a full concert album after Freddie's death. The final concert of the "Magic" tour, Knebworth Park, was the last live performance of Queen ever. It was only after 1986 that Freddie's illness really started to affect his ability to perform.
- Freddie's "four aging Queens" line during the talk at EMI's office prior to Live Aid was lifted verbatim from a speech he gave during the second 1986 Wembley performance. The topic he was discussing? Rumors about Queen supposedly being about to break up, which he vehemently denied.
- Jim Hutton, Freddie's final lover, worked as a hairdresser, not as a waiter/manservant. The two met at a night club.
- John Deacon never sang. Although you can see him move his lips in concert footage, his microphone was always turned off.

Those are just the discrepancies that stood out to me.

I really did like the camera direction during the Live Aid performance, though.

Edited by Nevermore, 05 November 2018 - 06:10 AM.

"'[Foreigners] at least need to be able to speak proper German.' Okay, what the hell is that supposed to be? Proper German'? Where do they speak that? Have you ever been there? Are you German? Can you engage in a conversation in a Swabian pub? Most people from Cologne already fail at asking for directions in the Eifel region."
- Volker Pispers, German comedian

#8 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19246 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:07 PM

After that wall of text, it pretty much makes it sound like the entire movie is wrong.

#9 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 12545 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:21 PM

It certainly felt very hollow. Like, it was almost laughably slavish on the surface, while being awkwardly inconsistent and unauthentic on the inside.

A good comparison would be the adaptation of Watchmen, which recreates the comic version's visuals but features some very odd changes (such as the excessive violence in Nite Owl and Silk Spectre's alley fight scene, or the ending twist.)

I give it this, though - from what I know, the movie's portrayal of Freddie's Parsi roots (especially his lack of public acknowledgement) didn't contradict anything I'm aware of, although that scene with his parents was a bit too on the nose (especially with the convenient phone call at the end).

I'm also not sure if his relationship with his parents was portrayed accurately - as far as I'm aware, he supported them financially for years, and they supported him while he kept his extravagant lifestyle away from them.

His sister Kashmira - I'm not entirely sure, but I think she was already married by the time the film still shows her living with her parents.

What really bothers me, in retrospect, is how much the film presents Freddie, and especially the people around him (notably, Paul Prenter), as the source of all conflict, while the other band members are all presented as choir boys who leave parties early, end up married and with families and whatnot. No mention of Roger being a party animal and womanizer. No mention of the other band members' solo projects, which predate Freddie's own. No mention of collectively controversial things like the South Africa performances prior to Live Aid. Nope, the film's narrative is basically that Freddie's stardom went to his head, he decided he didn't need the other band members anymore, then finally realized his mistake and then they all reuinited. That's a very standard "rockstar" film plot... it just isn't very accurate to the real story of Freddie and Queen.

Also, I sure wouldn't have minded hearing a few more obscure songs besides the "Greatest Hits" staple, such as "Brighton Rock", "The Prophet's Song", "In The Lap of The Gods... Revisited", "'39", or the various 1950s Rock'n'Roll covers, none of which were hits, but which were longtime features during their concerts. Instead, the only reasonable any song that didn't become a hit seems to exist in the movie is as the punchline of a joke. Which is all the more baffling since it wasn't all that long ago that Queen released a three-volume "Deep Cuts" compilation of great songs (hand-picked by Brian and Roger) that never hit the charts.

But then again, that's what Queen's live shows have become during the past two decades - nothing but an endless repeats of the big hits. Nothing else seems to exist anymore (although at least Brian still acknowledges the guitar solo from "Brighton Rock", it became isolated from the rest of the song even while Freddie was still alive). So I'm not really surprised.

Edited by Nevermore, 04 November 2018 - 10:03 PM.

"'[Foreigners] at least need to be able to speak proper German.' Okay, what the hell is that supposed to be? Proper German'? Where do they speak that? Have you ever been there? Are you German? Can you engage in a conversation in a Swabian pub? Most people from Cologne already fail at asking for directions in the Eifel region."

#10 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25039 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:09 PM

So basically

Earth is Kill because Santa.

#11 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3046 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:24 AM

It was good but did feel like a standard by the book bio movie.

#12 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8055 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:55 AM

Haven't seen it yet but I really appreciate Nevermore's in-depth off timeline rundown. That's really precise.

Isn't there another musician getting another biopic soon? Rocket Man?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#13 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:42 PM

After that wall of text, it pretty much makes it sound like the entire movie is wrong.

If the film had been about a fictional band that somehow shared many similarities to the overall story of Queen, it would have been one thing. 

But since it's about such a huge band as Queen, the information's out there; anyone willing to take the time to fact-check what the film got wrong. 

Which is sad, as if it had been a movie about a fictional band it would have been a very good film overall. 

#14 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 2777 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:45 PM

Does the movie cover how Freddie was one of the rare people to face Connor MacLeod in combat and live?

#15 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3046 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:56 PM

Does the movie cover how Freddie was one of the rare people to face Connor MacLeod in combat and live?

No but they do have the song playing in one scene.

Haven't seen it yet but I really appreciate Nevermore's in-depth off timeline rundown. That's really precise.

Isn't there another musician getting another biopic soon? Rocket Man?

Yes.  Saw the trailer for that before this movie.

#16 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 12545 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:59 PM

Thinking more about it, the movie really sells the other band members short, for better and for worse. Even though Freddie was their frontman, the audience liked them all. The movie doesn't even mention Brian's excellent guitar play, nor the fact the his "Red Special" guitar was his own homemade creation at the tender age of 17, with the help of his father. Roger was really a ladies' man, the straight counterpart to Freddie's flamboyant persona. For all the talk about being a "family", the other band member's contributions to so many of their songs are essentially treated as trivia points next to Freddie taking center stage.

I mean, Brian had his entire guitar solo routine (whose earliest incarnation even predates Queen, appearing in the middle of the Smile song "Blag") that was eventually incporporated into the song "Brighton Rock" (featured on their third album, "Sheer Heart Attack") until it finally became its own thing during shows, soon spanning more than ten minutes of nothing but Brian playing a guitar duet with himself using delay, distortion and other effects while the rest of the band was taking a break. None of that made it into the movie, and yet he still keeps playing variations of that solo to this very day.

Ultimately, the movie comes across as the theme park version of the band's history.

Edited by Nevermore, 05 November 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#17 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 12545 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:55 AM

Here's one more issue with the film which I see often repeated by Queen fans and experts, and I will reiterate it here because it is true:

One of my main gripes with how fast and loose the film plays with the facts is that the real version of events was oftentimes much more interesting and fascinating than the trite music film clichés featured in the film. It's almost as if the creators had feared that the audience would consider a more accurate depicton of reality too "unrealistic" or something...

An example: How Freddie joined the band.

Film: Freddie is at a concert, sees the band, likes them, meets his future girlfriend, Tim (the singer) quits the band, Freddie meets Brian and Roger and proposes himself as their new lead singer.

Reality: Freddie and Tim were friends from college, Freddie met the band through him, started singing in his own band, Freddie moved into an apartment with Brian and Roger, Tim quits the band, Freddie quits his band... and yet somehow it still took them a while to figure out that he should become their new singer.

Which version do you think would make for a more entertaining movie?

#18 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 6601 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:50 PM

I'm just glad Sacha Baron Cohen didn't end up playing Freddie. He would have been "Sacha Baron Cohen AS Freddie Mercury", but Rami Malek simply IS Freddie.

In need of Movie Arcee's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#19 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:22 AM

https://www.billboar...-100/2018-11-17

The actual song "Bohemian Rhapsody" is now in the Top 40 again, this week at #33 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart. 

IIRC the song's presence in "Wayne's World" was enough to make it re-chart in the US as well. 

#20 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7672 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:24 PM

there was a station that played it non-stop for 24 hours when waynes world was out

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users