Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 May 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Have they made a sliver planeswalker yet?

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

Photo
- - - - -

Cobra Kai - Season 2 premieres April 24th

24 replies to this topic

#1 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

anyone else watch this? i thought it was really good, much better than any of the sequels we got. i dont want to say too much so as to avoid spoilers, but if you liked the original movie then i think youll like this. 

first 2 eps are free, but they offer a 30 day free trial. as there are only 10 eps its plenty of time to watch it all (unless youre like me and binge it lol)

if they put it on dvd, ill more than likely buy it. course then id have to get the original movie on dvd as well...

Edited by Telly, 06 April 2019 - 09:56 PM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#2 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1607 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

It's had my attention for a while now. I'm hoping to get some time this weekend. I'll watch at least the first couple episodes, then do the free trial assuming I enjoy it.

#3 Darknova4life

Darknova4life
  • Citizen
  • 1616 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

I saw the first two and enjoyed them.  I probably will do the free trial to finish the season. 

#4 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

I live again...

• Retired Staff
  • 18772 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

I marathoned this last night after watching the first two episodes. It got me to sign up for Youtube Red's free trial

It has zero right being this good, considering the premise. 

#5 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3681 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:05 AM

i'm up to episode 5 (apparently convalescing after major surgery is conducive to binging, who knew?)...and I'm really liking this. its simple, doesn't take itself too seriously, and just seems to be having fun.

Really, right now the only thing I hate about the show is Daniels Wife.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#6 Darknova4life

Darknova4life
  • Citizen
  • 1616 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

I’ve only seen the first 2 episodes so far, but what’s wrong with Daniel’s wife? She’s super hot!

#7 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7388 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:28 PM

I thought his was going to be a train wreck of a show, once I realized it was actually real. When I first saw a trailer I thought it was a joke.

But. This show is amazing. They managed to capture the feel, magic and cheesyness of the 80s in it. And then all the plot twists with that’s his son, but his daughter and his student.....so funny and exciting. Not to mention that final episode, especially the final scene....wow.

#8 Darknova4life

Darknova4life
  • Citizen
  • 1616 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

Yeah, I finished the show, too.  It is fantastic and it absolutely MUST be renewed.  

#9 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Not to mention that final episode, especially the final scene....wow.

Spoiler

i had an idea about this show and the way it should eventually end. i think daniel and johnny will eventually have to end up merging dojos. miyagi-do is too passive, while cobra-kai is too aggressive. put the teachings together and i think youd really have something, and maybe thats what the real balance is they talk about

#10 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

I live again...

• Retired Staff
  • 18772 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

Renewed for a second season.

https://www.google.c...1202805893/amp/

Cobra Kai never dies.

#11 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34204 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:30 AM

I just finished the free ones. I like it. Not sure I can binge it fast enough for a 30 day trial, though. I hope it goes to DVD.

I like how Johnny and Daniel are neither of them rosy angels. They are both wrong.

#12 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

youre sucking all the fun out of it...

#13 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34204 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:49 PM

There are some technical notes, most of which would be way too boring to show (like cop shows almost never show scenes of doing paperwork).
1: Does Johnny have the credentials? To run a Dojo, you have to be at least a 3rd Dan blackbelt. Seems to me that after losing the tournament, Johnny probably left. Did he study somewhere else?
2: (and this ties back to the original movie), no one under 18 should have a blackbelt. Period. How can you master the basics (ie: what is required to get said shodan rating) when you body is changing on a monthly if not weekly basis. My own instructor, in 45+ years of teaching, only ever awarded 1 blackbelt to an 18 year old, and he was exceptional (it wasn't me). Blackbelt requires 4-7years of training for 1st (shodan). 2nd requires a couple more (sometimes there's a half-step called Shodan-Ho). 3rd requires a few more years. So, assuming there was any legitimacy to Cobra Kai, Johnny would have had to train for about 5-7 more years after losing the tournament. Did he? Somehow I don't think he'd want to train with Kreese after being strangled by him.
3: Cobra Kai is a copyrighted organization. Johhny would have to file paperwork with them. Otherwise they can go after him for copyright infringement.
4: Johnny would also have to file paperwork with one of the Japanese international karate associations.
5: Johnny tells his student without showing him. The kid clearly doesn't know how to make a fist, and he doesn't know how to do push-ups on knuckles. He tries to distribute his weight across the whole hand rather than properly focusing on the Index and Middle finger knuckles.

I am beginning to be concerned about the quality of what is shown here.
Of course, all of that is just the first student. Johnny is out of practice, and clearly has no idea what is required in running a dojo. Somehow, I don't think Kreese had his advanced students teaching the beginners (something that is supposed to start at 5th kyu/green belt)--that would have been yielding or sharing power.

Johnny didn't know he had to have a license and insurance. I don't know what the writers of the show do and don't know, but I think the straightforward interpretation is that a washed-up former karate guy got some money and said, "Hey, why not?" and is totally over his head.

#14 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7388 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:30 PM

I think we stop reading into it and just enjoy it for what it is...especially if you only saw the first 2 episodes.  

#15 Ya Kid K MK VII

Ya Kid K MK VII

Mic check onetwo onetwo

• Supporter
  • 4069 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:42 PM

Two more eps to go and loving it.

I watched the first movie with my 8-year old and he was glued to it. I was impressed. This show is a little too adult for a kid, though.

#16 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28224 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:17 AM

If this is on YT Red, does that mean non Americans can't watch it?

#17 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:20 AM

April 24th!

#18 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3681 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:56 PM

im still beyond glad that season one of this show got me to pay for youtube premium....not only for the no commercials thing...but especially for some really great shows like ORIGINS and especially WAYNE (one of the best shows....so good and so much fun).

season 2 looksto be upping the quality and the stakes...im definitely there.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#19 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:01 PM

i dont know why, but i am super excited about this. i guess the first season was so damn good i just want more lol i havent been this excited for a tv show since...hell, i dont even remember

ill have to pay to see it this time, but im more than happy to do it. ill have to watch season 1 again before season 2 starts though

#20 Glenn

Glenn

The fault in our Stars(Lord)

• Supporter
  • 10529 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:18 PM

I watched the first 6 episodes of season 1 tonight at a friend’s. We are both hooked.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users