Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

Photo
- - - - -

Cobra Kai - Season 2 premieres April 24th

19 replies to this topic

#1 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7750 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

anyone else watch this? i thought it was really good, much better than any of the sequels we got. i dont want to say too much so as to avoid spoilers, but if you liked the original movie then i think youll like this. 

first 2 eps are free, but they offer a 30 day free trial. as there are only 10 eps its plenty of time to watch it all (unless youre like me and binge it lol)

if they put it on dvd, ill more than likely buy it. course then id have to get the original movie on dvd as well...

Edited by Telly, 06 April 2019 - 09:56 PM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#2 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1601 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

It's had my attention for a while now. I'm hoping to get some time this weekend. I'll watch at least the first couple episodes, then do the free trial assuming I enjoy it.

#3 Darknova4life

Darknova4life
  • Citizen
  • 1615 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

I saw the first two and enjoyed them.  I probably will do the free trial to finish the season. 

#4 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

I live again...

• Retired Staff
  • 18753 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

I marathoned this last night after watching the first two episodes. It got me to sign up for Youtube Red's free trial

It has zero right being this good, considering the premise. 

#5 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3655 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:05 AM

i'm up to episode 5 (apparently convalescing after major surgery is conducive to binging, who knew?)...and I'm really liking this. its simple, doesn't take itself too seriously, and just seems to be having fun.

Really, right now the only thing I hate about the show is Daniels Wife.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#6 Darknova4life

Darknova4life
  • Citizen
  • 1615 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

I’ve only seen the first 2 episodes so far, but what’s wrong with Daniel’s wife? She’s super hot!

#7 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7377 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:28 PM

I thought his was going to be a train wreck of a show, once I realized it was actually real. When I first saw a trailer I thought it was a joke.

But. This show is amazing. They managed to capture the feel, magic and cheesyness of the 80s in it. And then all the plot twists with that’s his son, but his daughter and his student.....so funny and exciting. Not to mention that final episode, especially the final scene....wow.

#8 Darknova4life

Darknova4life
  • Citizen
  • 1615 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

Yeah, I finished the show, too.  It is fantastic and it absolutely MUST be renewed.  

#9 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7750 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Not to mention that final episode, especially the final scene....wow.

Spoiler

i had an idea about this show and the way it should eventually end. i think daniel and johnny will eventually have to end up merging dojos. miyagi-do is too passive, while cobra-kai is too aggressive. put the teachings together and i think youd really have something, and maybe thats what the real balance is they talk about

#10 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

I live again...

• Retired Staff
  • 18753 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

Renewed for a second season.

https://www.google.c...1202805893/amp/

Cobra Kai never dies.

#11 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34166 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:30 AM

I just finished the free ones. I like it. Not sure I can binge it fast enough for a 30 day trial, though. I hope it goes to DVD.

I like how Johnny and Daniel are neither of them rosy angels. They are both wrong.

#12 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7750 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

youre sucking all the fun out of it...

#13 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34166 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:49 PM

There are some technical notes, most of which would be way too boring to show (like cop shows almost never show scenes of doing paperwork).
1: Does Johnny have the credentials? To run a Dojo, you have to be at least a 3rd Dan blackbelt. Seems to me that after losing the tournament, Johnny probably left. Did he study somewhere else?
2: (and this ties back to the original movie), no one under 18 should have a blackbelt. Period. How can you master the basics (ie: what is required to get said shodan rating) when you body is changing on a monthly if not weekly basis. My own instructor, in 45+ years of teaching, only ever awarded 1 blackbelt to an 18 year old, and he was exceptional (it wasn't me). Blackbelt requires 4-7years of training for 1st (shodan). 2nd requires a couple more (sometimes there's a half-step called Shodan-Ho). 3rd requires a few more years. So, assuming there was any legitimacy to Cobra Kai, Johnny would have had to train for about 5-7 more years after losing the tournament. Did he? Somehow I don't think he'd want to train with Kreese after being strangled by him.
3: Cobra Kai is a copyrighted organization. Johhny would have to file paperwork with them. Otherwise they can go after him for copyright infringement.
4: Johnny would also have to file paperwork with one of the Japanese international karate associations.
5: Johnny tells his student without showing him. The kid clearly doesn't know how to make a fist, and he doesn't know how to do push-ups on knuckles. He tries to distribute his weight across the whole hand rather than properly focusing on the Index and Middle finger knuckles.

I am beginning to be concerned about the quality of what is shown here.
Of course, all of that is just the first student. Johnny is out of practice, and clearly has no idea what is required in running a dojo. Somehow, I don't think Kreese had his advanced students teaching the beginners (something that is supposed to start at 5th kyu/green belt)--that would have been yielding or sharing power.

Johnny didn't know he had to have a license and insurance. I don't know what the writers of the show do and don't know, but I think the straightforward interpretation is that a washed-up former karate guy got some money and said, "Hey, why not?" and is totally over his head.

#14 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7377 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:30 PM

I think we stop reading into it and just enjoy it for what it is...especially if you only saw the first 2 episodes.  

#15 Coke Bathtub Spirit

Coke Bathtub Spirit

SNORTSNORTGLUBGLUB

• Supporter
  • 4022 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:42 PM

Two more eps to go and loving it.

I watched the first movie with my 8-year old and he was glued to it. I was impressed. This show is a little too adult for a kid, though.
You know who I am, David.

#16 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28131 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:17 AM

If this is on YT Red, does that mean non Americans can't watch it?

#17 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7750 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:20 AM

April 24th!

#18 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3655 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:56 PM

im still beyond glad that season one of this show got me to pay for youtube premium....not only for the no commercials thing...but especially for some really great shows like ORIGINS and especially WAYNE (one of the best shows....so good and so much fun).

season 2 looksto be upping the quality and the stakes...im definitely there.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#19 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7750 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:01 PM

i dont know why, but i am super excited about this. i guess the first season was so damn good i just want more lol i havent been this excited for a tv show since...hell, i dont even remember

ill have to pay to see it this time, but im more than happy to do it. ill have to watch season 1 again before season 2 starts though

#20 Glenn

Glenn

The fault in our Stars(Lord)

• Supporter
  • 10352 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:18 PM

I watched the first 6 episodes of season 1 tonight at a friend’s. We are both hooked.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users