Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (22 September 2018 - 01:53 PM)

So apparently some models of air-conditioner are on trays inside the case, so they can be removed for easy access to the internals. I did not know that two hours ago: and have since cleaned three. It's been a learning kind of day.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (22 September 2018 - 09:15 AM)

There's probably been a Pokedex-themed 3DS cover.

@  Noideaforaname : (21 September 2018 - 04:34 PM)

I still got that Pikachu Edition Gameboy Color from back in the day. Yellow and Blue and with Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Togepi on the screen.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2018 - 04:30 PM)

Quote of the day: I either need bourbon or aspirin, and I'm pretty sure the liquor cabinet is closer than the medicine chest.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 September 2018 - 02:38 PM)

I don't recall any Pokedex themed DS or Game Boy, but plenty of Pokemon-themed ones. My favourite, and the one I've got myself, was the Pokemon Red/Blue themed 3DS with the swappable faceplates that came out around the time the original games were made available via digital download

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 September 2018 - 02:30 PM)

I'm fairly certain Nintendo has done Pokéball red and white, but I don't know about specific Pokédex colors.

@  Paladin : (21 September 2018 - 11:10 AM)

random thought: has Nintendo ever made a 3DS that looks like a Pokedex? because that seems like a GOLDMINE waiting to happen...

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2018 - 03:23 AM)

Wiigii! Titans Return Grotusque for only 60 Euros (actually 70 but I somehow had an eBay gift card for reasons that escape me) with free shipping from within my own country!

@  Whirl Maximus : (21 September 2018 - 03:02 AM)

That was the plan for Predators too with the Super Predators.

@  Waspinator : (21 September 2018 - 01:46 AM)

So, apparently in the new Predator movie, the Predators don't hunt us for honor or the challenge or anything like that, but because they're stealing human DNA to modify themselves. Congrats Hollywood, on making a monster far less cool and scary.

@  Pennpenn : (20 September 2018 - 08:46 AM)

I only started playing it recently so I don't know what it was like before. Actually surprised they haven't finished the story yet. Then again, unless they introduce another world it's pretty much just Maleficent and whatever the Foretellers are playing at left.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 September 2018 - 08:30 AM)

Geeze.. I reloaded up Kingdom Hearts X for the first time in a long time. That game has massivily inflated from when I played it when it first launced in the US.

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 09:07 AM)

It's an annoying thing to have happen in any game. I'm hoping they actually finish releasing all the story mode parts before 3 comes out.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 06:24 AM)

Ahh. Hadn't played that in a long time.. Since before the PVP I think.

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 04:33 AM)

Kingdom Hearts Union Cross. Specifically the PVP fights.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 04:31 AM)

What game PennPenn

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 03:13 AM)

Man, I love it when you've got limited attempts at something in a game, said game crashes at the end of the thing, so you lose the attempt but don't get any credit.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 08:44 PM)

I know. I'm back to the classic purple for the first time since the comic theme was introduced.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 08:32 PM)

Alright thanks, gonna be weird without the speech bubble boxes but I'll manage.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 07:59 PM)

Nope, ongoing problem for a bunch of us. The mods know, so... just hunker down and wait. In the mean time: changing themes will sort it out for a bit. Only the comic theme is affected.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 05:36 PM)

Is something going on? I'm missing the buttons to go to the newest post and there's no banner for the forum list, it just says "logo" in the corner.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2018 - 06:03 AM)

Leader-1!

@  Whirl Maximus : (18 September 2018 - 02:25 AM)

"huh?" 'chuckle' in every reaction shot. That's all I remember of Armada.

@  Paladin : (16 September 2018 - 07:36 PM)

if youre looking for sympathy its in the dictionary between shit & syphilis.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2018 - 03:10 PM)

Uuuhhhhhh.......

@  Rycochet : (15 September 2018 - 11:56 AM)

Due to it's concentrated lousiness, even small doses of Energon will age you, yes.

@  Lazy Garou : (15 September 2018 - 10:32 AM)

unicron trilogy video was great, but made me feel a hundred years old.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 September 2018 - 07:32 AM)

Awesome. Good job man.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 09:30 PM)

cleaning up, mostly.but the little plastic piece where the power cable hooked up was broken. That I managed to put back together.

@  Patch : (11 September 2018 - 04:48 PM)

So he also has White Castle-like qualities?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2018 - 02:23 PM)

Just keep him away from the plumbing, he's really hard on the pipes.

@  RichardT1977 : (11 September 2018 - 01:22 PM)

Overlord has some castle-like qualities to him

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 12:15 PM)

Fix it, like, found a working power adaptor, or fix it like: there was saudering involved.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 11:58 AM)

that feeling when you fix something and works like a dream. we now have a working snes in my house and I have tested 10 games on it and they all work.

@  Arazyr : (11 September 2018 - 10:44 AM)

...Now I want a Transformer that turns into a castle.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 09:37 AM)

You should be careful man, lots of allsparkers life in castle law states. It's a good way to get shot you know.

@  ▲ndrusi : (11 September 2018 - 09:35 AM)

Which house? Mine? Dammit I thought I locked my door!

@  GrungeWerX : (11 September 2018 - 01:20 AM)

GrungeWerX in tha HOUSE!!! WOOT!!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2018 - 11:54 PM)

There's been consistently good sc-fi flicks; most just fly under the radar as lower-budget or indie pictures

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:28 PM)

If you can forget about that garbage Ghost in the Shell feature...

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:27 PM)

Upgrade is a GREAT dark sci fi throwback film. Kind of feels like the genre has been nailing some good stuff after a LONG time of drek

@  Sabrblade : (10 September 2018 - 06:34 PM)

Hey, Steve is a Vehicon!

@  abates : (10 September 2018 - 04:44 PM)

I thought it was spelled "Stege".

@  Arazyr : (10 September 2018 - 02:10 PM)

So, "I before E, except after Siege"? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 September 2018 - 01:59 PM)

Memorandum to all: the word "siege" is spelled with the "i" before the "e".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (08 September 2018 - 12:55 PM)

Happy birthday to Star Trek and Star Trek: The Animated Series!

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2018 - 07:55 AM)

*smacks TMM upside the head*

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 September 2018 - 02:51 AM)

& Knuckles.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2018 - 11:01 PM)

Re: Coded?

@  Waspinator : (07 September 2018 - 09:14 PM)

Final Fantasy: The Movie: The Game: Pocket Edition HD Boogaloo

Photo

Old Video Game Mags

77 replies to this topic

#1 tec

tec

Its a Gunda..oh its a Samus

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

I been interested in going back though my old gaming mags and scan/take pics of fun articles I find and posting them here

This will kick things off found my oldest box of mags how old?

How about Feb of 84 with Scholastic's K Power

So we will kick things off with the cover

100_2850.JPG

This is gonna be fun

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#2 thefakelink

thefakelink
  • Citizen
  • 1274 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

I think I’ve got NPs from the early 2000s. Aside from that the oldest thing I have is the official players guide for Super Metroid.

#3 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

There's sites that host pdf downloads of a lot of old magazines. Some have been CnD'd but others are okay up to I think, 2008?

https://www.retromags.com/

http://kiwis.world/

https://archive.org/...s/magazine_rack

You need to make an account for the first one. Some you can read online, but most are downloads. Enjoy.

PM me if you're bored!

#4 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

So here are a few of the early days of PC gaming

One of the biggest titles on these early K Power Mags of witch I have 5 issues of for the year of 1984

Microsoft Flight Sim (Note that there give company address and phone # for all the reviews and products shown)

100_2851.JPG

Here is an ad for Zaxxon from Sega this is one of the earliest mags I own that mentions Sega

100_2855.JPG

A review for the last issue in this series Beyond Castle Wolfenstine

100_2857.JPG

Lastly we have a spread on "portable PCs" I owned a Epson HX 20 that had issues it never worked right and it could do almost nothing with its tiny screen

100_2856.JPG

Next up we ditch PC and go console with Gamefan

Edited by tec, 27 April 2018 - 11:13 AM.

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#5 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7472 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

I threw out all of.my old Nintendo Powers except the ones with the comics in them. But since they've reprinted the Link to the Past and Super Mario Adventure ones, all I need is the Star Fox and Super Metroid ( with purple haired Samus!!!) And I can get rid of em all.

#6 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:35 PM

So I only saved two issues of Gamefan from my youth One was a transition issue for gaming general and the other is very special to me

So first is the transition issue set in June of 95 right before the launch of the PS1 (September 9, 1995 it had been out in Japan since Dec 94)

Also is this issue and one of the reasons I got it was the talks of the Ultra 64(Arcade hardware and later know as the N64)

Covershot

100_2858.JPG

This is what I'm talking about with a transition issue here they talk about the Super FX2 chip and upcoming games before all of this got blown out the airlock and most good projects ended being shunted to the N64 and Nintendo ramps down SNES game development (RiP Star Fox 2 for nearly what 23 years till the SNES Mini)

100_2860.JPG

Ad for the 3DO a system I never saw in person ever nor in any store I went to at the time

100_2864.JPG 100_2863.JPG

Ah the start of magic the early days of Psygosis PS1 run with first screens of Wipeout a series I still play and buy to this day

100_2865.JPG

One of the reasons I got this issue back in the day an article on the Ultra 64 and Nintendo's plans for its future with Howard Lincoln

100_2866.JPG 100_2867.JPG

Part 2 next

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#7 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

Part 2

We started with Zaxxon in 84 here is Zaxxon 2000 for 95

100_2868.JPG

Lots of 3D Fighting game info in this issue with talks on VF2 and Tekken but this little jem of a no name game from Atari caught my eye

100_2870.JPG

There was also some 2D fighter action for Fatal Fury 3, Street Fighter The Movie The Game a mess of a game (except Kyle as Cammy) but also first news of Street Fighter Legends...er Zero....er Alpha that at the time I was excited for but then I turned out not to be big fan of the Alpha series

100_2873.JPG

Last is an add for the PS1 (and Saturn) with zany prices right before the launch of the systems

100_2875.JPG

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#8 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:21 PM

And here it is you want to talk about influence on the direction I wanted to go as a gamer look no farther from cover to back cover this issue packed with games I bought because of it and still buy games based in this issue (the only other to come close is a run of EGM that we will get to)

On the cover alone I own 8 of the games listed and a 9th game we will talk about when we get to it

100_2876.JPG

On the back of the issue is another game I own and love

100_2877.JPG

This issue is still a fun read and the layout and pics are much nicer compared to the earlier issue I showed off

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#9 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18355 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

I'm still trying to get a good copy of the second issue of Nintendo Power that was thrown out (among others) in that ugly betrayal years ago. I think with that, I'll have the whole run?

I also had the entirety of SEGA Visions, and I think that was thrown out, too. I really want those back, as my interest in SEGA has magnified significantly in recent years (I want to build a classic SEGA "rig" with a Model 1 Genesis, Model 1 SEGA CD, and Power Base Converter, among other goals for a Saturn and Coca-Cola Game Gear).

Plus various issues from others. =(

By the way, in case anyone has forgotten/didn't know, I write for a few magazines now: Nintendo Force, Mega Visions (all about everything SEGA), and Old School Gamer. I'd love it if you checked them out!

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Edited by LBD "Nytetrayn", 27 April 2018 - 05:07 PM.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#10 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

Sadly and this is something Ill go in deeper when we get to this issue of Gamefan and the EGM run is I am not a Sega fan at all I own a Saturn,Genesis and DC and only a handful of titles for each except for the DC where I have none even though I own the console

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#11 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7472 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

I used to have that Mischief Makers one!
  • tec likes this

#12 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:54 PM

So back to to my gaming bible I bought more then ten games for myself because of this issue and we are about to see why

Lets start with some shooters

First are some ads for both Star Fox 64 and Ace Combat 2 while Air Combat was a start Ace Combat 2 is where they got it right and led to my second fav game Ace Combat 4 you will see more coverage of the Ace series going forward and it starts here

100_2878.JPG 100_2885.JPG

Next we look at Raystorm part of my favorite top down shooters series this ad and this feature sealed the deal

100_2881.JPG 100_2892.JPG

Next up is a few Psygosis features that had great looking flight games I would hunt down after they came out with each new one in the series

Colony Wars and G Police

100_2886.JPG 100_2888.JPG

Next is a set of reviews for games I bought because of this issue (except F1)

100_2883.JPG

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#13 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:28 PM

Lets talk Ghost in the Shell for just a bit I had seen the movie and even though more anime had come out state side I dint see anything new on that cool cartoon I had seen with the robot chick till now this was a bomb shell of a spread on GitS I poured over the images soaked up the art and was hyped for this game

Here is part of the huge article on the game from what I hear part of the team that worked on Jumping Flash worked on this title and I could beleave it also pictures of some of the Action figures I got based on this game and not on the movie or series

100_2910.JPG 100_2911.JPG

Some ads that got me even more hyped for the game (it would be a awhile before I could afford the game

7844-motoko_17a.JPG 7853-motoko_26a.JPG

The covers to both the JPN and US versions of the game the game would turn out to be fantastic with new full cel animation to flesh out the story even some cute fun extras that show off the personalty of the Fujikomas

197447_11040_front.jpg 3934_front.jpg

The first piece of art here is the full version of a poster I got from another game mag that hangs on my wall to this day the second is the full image of the US cover of the game

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Official_Art_Book_PSOne_Version_74.jpg Ghost_in_the_Shell_Official_Art_Book_PSOne_Version_79a.JPG

Edited by tec, 29 April 2018 - 10:28 PM.

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#14 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

We continue with this issue with huge articles on upcoming N64 games I still play to this day

First Mischief Makers the best 2D game on the N64 shake shake shake and the the first real clean images of Goldeneye what a game that turns out to be

100_2893.JPG 100_2894.JPG

Next is Rush while the first game was a port of the arcade version the next 2 in the Rush series takes a bit of departure

Rush 1 also has one of the worst soundtracks play with the sound off you will thank me later

And a page on Tetrisphere that has one of the best soundtracks on the N64

100_2895.JPG 100_2896.JPG

And last is very early access shots of Extreme G a F-Zero Wipeout clone on Motorcycles the series wold get really good then really bad

100_2899.JPG

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#15 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

There was also some great articles on fighting games

First is great coverage of Street Fighter EX Plus A I liked this series better then the Legends er Zero er Alpha series

100_2887.JPG

Then here is the first time I seen info of Waku Waku 7 a fighting game I would not get a chance to play till I had access to the dark arts 5 years later But I loved the look of this game and it turns out to be very fun and well worth it

100_2906.JPG

Next is pain a game I so wanted to play after seeing this feature on it Samurai Showdown 64 and its a game I have still yet to play hell I think the games a myth I fell in love with Shiki character design luckily though she would make it back over to the 2D versions of SNK fighters

100_2900.JPG

Edited by tec, 30 April 2018 - 10:56 AM.

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#16 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

RPGs have have got a lot to say here as well

We start with this great look at this beautiful Breath of Fire 3 coverage a series I chose to play over the Final Fantasy games

100_2905.JPG

Speaking of FF here is some FF7 love while I don't play the FF series I do respect it and play a few game with the characters in them Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia 1-2

100_2891.JPG 100_2882.JPG 100_2879.JPG

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#17 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

Last in the mag is games that I did not get till way later in life

First we have what would become Gundam Battle Assault here in the US and I would own and a Macross Game that I would love to own

100_2901.JPG 100_2904.JPG

Next is games I would have to wait for the Playstation versions of both are really great and both I need to revisit and finish

100_2902.JPG 100_2903.JPG

And we finish with some SOTN coverage A game I own but have yet to even play and lastly we have Import swag I used to take long looks at theses types of ads and dream of the days I would be able to get my hands on some of it

100_2908.JPG 100_2907.JPG

Not all the game mags I own are as important or influential there are few EGMs and Play that come close but not to this degree there some small stuff I left out as well but this is the issue that set the blueprint of gaming for me for a long time to come

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#18 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

Speaking of EGM its now time to get into them as its the game mag I have the most of beside my run of Play we go from Dec 91 to April of 2000 with 19 issues

We will see the historic run of the 10+ years of Gameboy, the rise and fall of many would be game systems, The new hotness of Street Fighter 2 to its eventual cool down ending in a not deserved scathing review of Super SF 2 The New Champions and a host of other fighters try to take the throne,

And oh man the shooters from top down to side scrolling they where relentless in the 90s some good some bad if you though there where to many FPSs you have no idea.

We will see a love affair fall apart and end in heartbreak leaving gamers confused and sad. we will see Project Reality transform into the N64

We will see Sega get married to the CD Rom format give berth and have to bury the sweet baby Saturn way to young only to do the same with the Dreamcast

The 90s where cruel and gross humor was king but gave us some great games in this mess somehow

Edited by tec, 30 April 2018 - 04:32 PM.

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#19 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:45 PM

EGM Dec 91 #29

And here we go we start in Dec of 91 The SNES had just started Sega had just started to dip its toes into CD format and Nintendo..well we will see in just a sec

100_2914.JPG

The biggest reviewed game this month FF2 oh and about the cover story on Zelda "3" this is it half a page on coverage

100_2916.JPG 100_2924.JPG

And here it Nintendo's blackest eye and the event that would change the gameing landscape even to this day the ugly divorce of Sony and Nintendo started here in gaming gossip and talked about more in the next few months and Sonys plans at the time hinted at the Playstation would have educational software more on the break up to come

100_2920.JPG 100_2921.JPG

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#20 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28492 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:01 PM

The second part we talk about the games proper well when I say games what this issue really boiled down to where fighters and shooters

First and more predominantly are the shooters there are over 34 references to shooters in ads, reviews and screens shots in this issue

This is just a small sample of just the ads also that chopper looks like I seen it somewhere hmmmm?

100_2922.JPG 100_2925.JPG

And here we have the birth of Street Fighter 2 this is the start of the hype and fever at witch this game took off soon we will be flooded with fighting games and it started so simple with Mailbag questions and an article

100_2915.JPG 100_2926.JPG

Lastly is a look at Sega first foray into CD and an ad showing prices of games back in 91 they seem familiar...

100_2928.JPG 100_2927.JPG

Edited by tec, 30 April 2018 - 11:01 PM.

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users