Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 02:39 PM)

@TheMightyMollusk Thanks for clarifying.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 12:34 PM)

@Otaku, most people were oblivious. The smart ones did their emergency shopping the day before, so there wasn't much left anyway.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 09:37 AM)

@wonko Only happened a few times and I don't remember the exact details, but yeah.

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 08:06 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Is that really the same thing? I mean, it is if the people were casually shopping and oblivious to the danger to them or the employees of the store, but if they were desperately trying to get needed supplies themselves... or am I just supposed to be smart enough to know you wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't the former? >_<

@  wonko the sane? : (18 July 2018 - 07:59 AM)

Okay, what? I've had to explain why the TV wouldn't work when the power is out to children, but never to an adult in their right mind.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:44 AM)

*When I worked at the cable call center, some people wondered why their TV wouldn't work when there was an outage...

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:43 AM)

w

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 03:11 AM)

We had people still trying to shop while we were being pushed by state police to shut the store down due to flooding. The police finally had to help herd them out.

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:36 PM)

Or working for an airline and people complaining about not being able to take off in severe weather, and expecting us to know when the bad weather will end. *points at window*

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:34 PM)

Outages/fire alarms are fun when you work retail and people complain that they can't keep shopping.

@  Echowarrior : (17 July 2018 - 07:11 PM)

Outages occasionally happened at the fulfillment center I used to work at. Never fun.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

Apparently the early shift (i.e. those who didn't participate in the walkout) were sitting in the cafeteria, waiting for power to return, while the late shift couldn't even enter the building.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 July 2018 - 04:18 PM)

Oh, wow. I thought the news about the website outtage would have been the topper, but that pretty much wins.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:14 PM)

Whoopsie.

First the union called for a two-day strike yesterday, and then today the entire city where the Amazon warehouse I work at is located apparently had a power outage.

So,uh. Seems like Amazon's Prime Day really didn't go well this year.

@  unluckiness : (17 July 2018 - 09:55 AM)

It wasn't just blander and more polite bacon like I was expecting

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 July 2018 - 09:51 AM)

Canadian bacon.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 July 2018 - 09:15 AM)

And the even more important question is: is that ballpit deep enough to conceal a body... what?

@  unluckiness : (17 July 2018 - 05:35 AM)

THe more important question is if they have a ball pit

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 July 2018 - 10:18 PM)

How many attendees on average does TFcon get? And how about TFNation?

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 06:31 PM)

I stopped reading it.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 06:04 PM)

If talking about it here is all it takes to get you, why hasn't the oreo thread killed you yet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL. Of your stomach.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

Hey man, how you deal with yo problems is yo bidness.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 04:08 PM)

I did no such thing! I am innocent of the pop tart corruption!

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 02:57 PM)

You guys made me buy cinnamon roll Pop Tarts today.

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:38 PM)

@D Immortalis Just fill the bag with air first and pop that? XP Oh, and you won't like that I grew up microwaving them more often than actually toasting. ;)

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:37 PM)

@MEDdMI Yeah, the even more artificial flavors like S'more are the ones that usually taste good cold. There exceptions... I think it was Sugar Cookie that needed to be toasted...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 02:19 PM)

And.. Amazon is borked.

@  Donocropolis : (16 July 2018 - 05:55 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw - Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered him and P/CP

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 01:41 AM)

Repugnus up

@  Paladin : (15 July 2018 - 07:41 PM)

or add peanut butter.

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 07:33 PM)

Nuke them enough in the microwave....?

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 06:43 PM)

if po tarts dont POP then they become a lie.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 05:10 PM)

I typically just went for the traditional flavours... I think mostly Rasberry or Strawberry. I'll have to pick up a box next time I'm out

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

@Otaku I've tried that too with a few of them. I liked the soda flavored ones they had. Too bad they were limited. :(

@  Otaku : (15 July 2018 - 03:48 PM)

@D Immortalis Most Pop-Tarts I like are better eaten frozen... and the only reason I started doing that is because Pop-Tarts commercials told me to try them that way. XD

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 03:03 PM)

woohoo, just got my tickets to see From Ashes To New and Hollywood Undead on the 26th!

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 10:07 AM)

oh wow Jazz has heel spurs.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 July 2018 - 06:32 AM)

That's basically what happened to me. I was on that aisle for completely other reasons, caught sight of them in my peripheral, and then... just couldn't stop thinking about them.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 02:47 AM)

Hungry for pop tarts now - haven't had those in years

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

anyone that doesnt put theit pop tarts in a toaster is a heretic.

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

Do they still make the cinnamon-brown sugar ones?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 09:03 PM)

Yup. And?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 08:29 PM)

Aren't Pop Tarts like, totally junk for you by the definition of the word?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 08:27 PM)

Four IS standard... but it's been so long I had forgotten.

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 July 2018 - 07:29 PM)

Bah, wonko, I remember when 4 was STANDARD

@  Paladin : (14 July 2018 - 04:10 PM)

https://twitter.com/NickRoche/status/1018234094310879234 people suck...

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 01:10 PM)

Me: opening a box of pop tarts. "Oh my god! There's FOUR in here?!?! Score!"

Photo

Old Video Game Mags

77 replies to this topic

#1 tec

tec

Its a Gunda..oh its a Samus

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

I been interested in going back though my old gaming mags and scan/take pics of fun articles I find and posting them here

This will kick things off found my oldest box of mags how old?

How about Feb of 84 with Scholastic's K Power

So we will kick things off with the cover

100_2850.JPG

This is gonna be fun

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#2 thefakelink

thefakelink
  • Citizen
  • 1273 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

I think I’ve got NPs from the early 2000s. Aside from that the oldest thing I have is the official players guide for Super Metroid.

#3 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42882 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

There's sites that host pdf downloads of a lot of old magazines. Some have been CnD'd but others are okay up to I think, 2008?

https://www.retromags.com/

http://kiwis.world/

https://archive.org/...s/magazine_rack

You need to make an account for the first one. Some you can read online, but most are downloads. Enjoy.

PM me if you're bored!

#4 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

So here are a few of the early days of PC gaming

One of the biggest titles on these early K Power Mags of witch I have 5 issues of for the year of 1984

Microsoft Flight Sim (Note that there give company address and phone # for all the reviews and products shown)

100_2851.JPG

Here is an ad for Zaxxon from Sega this is one of the earliest mags I own that mentions Sega

100_2855.JPG

A review for the last issue in this series Beyond Castle Wolfenstine

100_2857.JPG

Lastly we have a spread on "portable PCs" I owned a Epson HX 20 that had issues it never worked right and it could do almost nothing with its tiny screen

100_2856.JPG

Next up we ditch PC and go console with Gamefan

Edited by tec, 27 April 2018 - 11:13 AM.

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#5 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7358 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

I threw out all of.my old Nintendo Powers except the ones with the comics in them. But since they've reprinted the Link to the Past and Super Mario Adventure ones, all I need is the Star Fox and Super Metroid ( with purple haired Samus!!!) And I can get rid of em all.

#6 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:35 PM

So I only saved two issues of Gamefan from my youth One was a transition issue for gaming general and the other is very special to me

So first is the transition issue set in June of 95 right before the launch of the PS1 (September 9, 1995 it had been out in Japan since Dec 94)

Also is this issue and one of the reasons I got it was the talks of the Ultra 64(Arcade hardware and later know as the N64)

Covershot

100_2858.JPG

This is what I'm talking about with a transition issue here they talk about the Super FX2 chip and upcoming games before all of this got blown out the airlock and most good projects ended being shunted to the N64 and Nintendo ramps down SNES game development (RiP Star Fox 2 for nearly what 23 years till the SNES Mini)

100_2860.JPG

Ad for the 3DO a system I never saw in person ever nor in any store I went to at the time

100_2864.JPG 100_2863.JPG

Ah the start of magic the early days of Psygosis PS1 run with first screens of Wipeout a series I still play and buy to this day

100_2865.JPG

One of the reasons I got this issue back in the day an article on the Ultra 64 and Nintendo's plans for its future with Howard Lincoln

100_2866.JPG 100_2867.JPG

Part 2 next

#7 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

Part 2

We started with Zaxxon in 84 here is Zaxxon 2000 for 95

100_2868.JPG

Lots of 3D Fighting game info in this issue with talks on VF2 and Tekken but this little jem of a no name game from Atari caught my eye

100_2870.JPG

There was also some 2D fighter action for Fatal Fury 3, Street Fighter The Movie The Game a mess of a game (except Kyle as Cammy) but also first news of Street Fighter Legends...er Zero....er Alpha that at the time I was excited for but then I turned out not to be big fan of the Alpha series

100_2873.JPG

Last is an add for the PS1 (and Saturn) with zany prices right before the launch of the systems

100_2875.JPG

#8 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:21 PM

And here it is you want to talk about influence on the direction I wanted to go as a gamer look no farther from cover to back cover this issue packed with games I bought because of it and still buy games based in this issue (the only other to come close is a run of EGM that we will get to)

On the cover alone I own 8 of the games listed and a 9th game we will talk about when we get to it

100_2876.JPG

On the back of the issue is another game I own and love

100_2877.JPG

This issue is still a fun read and the layout and pics are much nicer compared to the earlier issue I showed off

#9 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18260 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

I'm still trying to get a good copy of the second issue of Nintendo Power that was thrown out (among others) in that ugly betrayal years ago. I think with that, I'll have the whole run?

I also had the entirety of SEGA Visions, and I think that was thrown out, too. I really want those back, as my interest in SEGA has magnified significantly in recent years (I want to build a classic SEGA "rig" with a Model 1 Genesis, Model 1 SEGA CD, and Power Base Converter, among other goals for a Saturn and Coca-Cola Game Gear).

Plus various issues from others. =(

By the way, in case anyone has forgotten/didn't know, I write for a few magazines now: Nintendo Force, Mega Visions (all about everything SEGA), and Old School Gamer. I'd love it if you checked them out!

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Edited by LBD "Nytetrayn", 27 April 2018 - 05:07 PM.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#10 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

Sadly and this is something Ill go in deeper when we get to this issue of Gamefan and the EGM run is I am not a Sega fan at all I own a Saturn,Genesis and DC and only a handful of titles for each except for the DC where I have none even though I own the console

#11 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7358 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

I used to have that Mischief Makers one!
  • tec likes this

#12 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:54 PM

So back to to my gaming bible I bought more then ten games for myself because of this issue and we are about to see why

Lets start with some shooters

First are some ads for both Star Fox 64 and Ace Combat 2 while Air Combat was a start Ace Combat 2 is where they got it right and led to my second fav game Ace Combat 4 you will see more coverage of the Ace series going forward and it starts here

100_2878.JPG 100_2885.JPG

Next we look at Raystorm part of my favorite top down shooters series this ad and this feature sealed the deal

100_2881.JPG 100_2892.JPG

Next up is a few Psygosis features that had great looking flight games I would hunt down after they came out with each new one in the series

Colony Wars and G Police

100_2886.JPG 100_2888.JPG

Next is a set of reviews for games I bought because of this issue (except F1)

100_2883.JPG

#13 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:28 PM

Lets talk Ghost in the Shell for just a bit I had seen the movie and even though more anime had come out state side I dint see anything new on that cool cartoon I had seen with the robot chick till now this was a bomb shell of a spread on GitS I poured over the images soaked up the art and was hyped for this game

Here is part of the huge article on the game from what I hear part of the team that worked on Jumping Flash worked on this title and I could beleave it also pictures of some of the Action figures I got based on this game and not on the movie or series

100_2910.JPG 100_2911.JPG

Some ads that got me even more hyped for the game (it would be a awhile before I could afford the game

7844-motoko_17a.JPG 7853-motoko_26a.JPG

The covers to both the JPN and US versions of the game the game would turn out to be fantastic with new full cel animation to flesh out the story even some cute fun extras that show off the personalty of the Fujikomas

197447_11040_front.jpg 3934_front.jpg

The first piece of art here is the full version of a poster I got from another game mag that hangs on my wall to this day the second is the full image of the US cover of the game

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Official_Art_Book_PSOne_Version_74.jpg Ghost_in_the_Shell_Official_Art_Book_PSOne_Version_79a.JPG

Edited by tec, 29 April 2018 - 10:28 PM.

#14 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

We continue with this issue with huge articles on upcoming N64 games I still play to this day

First Mischief Makers the best 2D game on the N64 shake shake shake and the the first real clean images of Goldeneye what a game that turns out to be

100_2893.JPG 100_2894.JPG

Next is Rush while the first game was a port of the arcade version the next 2 in the Rush series takes a bit of departure

Rush 1 also has one of the worst soundtracks play with the sound off you will thank me later

And a page on Tetrisphere that has one of the best soundtracks on the N64

100_2895.JPG 100_2896.JPG

And last is very early access shots of Extreme G a F-Zero Wipeout clone on Motorcycles the series wold get really good then really bad

100_2899.JPG

#15 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

There was also some great articles on fighting games

First is great coverage of Street Fighter EX Plus A I liked this series better then the Legends er Zero er Alpha series

100_2887.JPG

Then here is the first time I seen info of Waku Waku 7 a fighting game I would not get a chance to play till I had access to the dark arts 5 years later But I loved the look of this game and it turns out to be very fun and well worth it

100_2906.JPG

Next is pain a game I so wanted to play after seeing this feature on it Samurai Showdown 64 and its a game I have still yet to play hell I think the games a myth I fell in love with Shiki character design luckily though she would make it back over to the 2D versions of SNK fighters

100_2900.JPG

Edited by tec, 30 April 2018 - 10:56 AM.

#16 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

RPGs have have got a lot to say here as well

We start with this great look at this beautiful Breath of Fire 3 coverage a series I chose to play over the Final Fantasy games

100_2905.JPG

Speaking of FF here is some FF7 love while I don't play the FF series I do respect it and play a few game with the characters in them Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia 1-2

100_2891.JPG 100_2882.JPG 100_2879.JPG

#17 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

Last in the mag is games that I did not get till way later in life

First we have what would become Gundam Battle Assault here in the US and I would own and a Macross Game that I would love to own

100_2901.JPG 100_2904.JPG

Next is games I would have to wait for the Playstation versions of both are really great and both I need to revisit and finish

100_2902.JPG 100_2903.JPG

And we finish with some SOTN coverage A game I own but have yet to even play and lastly we have Import swag I used to take long looks at theses types of ads and dream of the days I would be able to get my hands on some of it

100_2908.JPG 100_2907.JPG

Not all the game mags I own are as important or influential there are few EGMs and Play that come close but not to this degree there some small stuff I left out as well but this is the issue that set the blueprint of gaming for me for a long time to come

#18 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

Speaking of EGM its now time to get into them as its the game mag I have the most of beside my run of Play we go from Dec 91 to April of 2000 with 19 issues

We will see the historic run of the 10+ years of Gameboy, the rise and fall of many would be game systems, The new hotness of Street Fighter 2 to its eventual cool down ending in a not deserved scathing review of Super SF 2 The New Champions and a host of other fighters try to take the throne,

And oh man the shooters from top down to side scrolling they where relentless in the 90s some good some bad if you though there where to many FPSs you have no idea.

We will see a love affair fall apart and end in heartbreak leaving gamers confused and sad. we will see Project Reality transform into the N64

We will see Sega get married to the CD Rom format give berth and have to bury the sweet baby Saturn way to young only to do the same with the Dreamcast

The 90s where cruel and gross humor was king but gave us some great games in this mess somehow

Edited by tec, 30 April 2018 - 04:32 PM.

#19 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:45 PM

EGM Dec 91 #29

And here we go we start in Dec of 91 The SNES had just started Sega had just started to dip its toes into CD format and Nintendo..well we will see in just a sec

100_2914.JPG

The biggest reviewed game this month FF2 oh and about the cover story on Zelda "3" this is it half a page on coverage

100_2916.JPG 100_2924.JPG

And here it Nintendo's blackest eye and the event that would change the gameing landscape even to this day the ugly divorce of Sony and Nintendo started here in gaming gossip and talked about more in the next few months and Sonys plans at the time hinted at the Playstation would have educational software more on the break up to come

100_2920.JPG 100_2921.JPG

#20 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 28162 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:01 PM

The second part we talk about the games proper well when I say games what this issue really boiled down to where fighters and shooters

First and more predominantly are the shooters there are over 34 references to shooters in ads, reviews and screens shots in this issue

This is just a small sample of just the ads also that chopper looks like I seen it somewhere hmmmm?

100_2922.JPG 100_2925.JPG

And here we have the birth of Street Fighter 2 this is the start of the hype and fever at witch this game took off soon we will be flooded with fighting games and it started so simple with Mailbag questions and an article

100_2915.JPG 100_2926.JPG

Lastly is a look at Sega first foray into CD and an ad showing prices of games back in 91 they seem familiar...

100_2928.JPG 100_2927.JPG

Edited by tec, 30 April 2018 - 11:01 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users