Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:37 AM)

Either way, I'd stick to the definitions of the people who actually work in the field and know what they're talking about over incredibly loose unhelpful ones 

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:34 AM)

Which fossils and genetic sequencing proved were quite different from wolves as we know them. Which is kind of the point, since while domesticated organisms changed genetically, so have their wild counterparts.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:34 AM)

I mean, even more extreme would be to ask if cows would turn back into aurochs. They'd go feral or exitinct, but they wouldn't revert.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Don't be ridiculous. The domesticated dog wasn't derived from the modern wolf. Both descended from a common ancestor

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Then they are still Geneticly modified. ;P I mean hell, in a lot of cases, there is very little difference between removing a gene and making it dormant. Anyways. Gotta run, stuff to do right now. Have fun.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:32 AM)

The ones that survived would be more wolf like, but they wouldn't be wolves. And in a lot of cases without human intervention most of the heavily modified animals and plants wouldn't survive a "few generations".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:31 AM)

Are you saying, given a few years (relativily speaking) of no humans, dogs will return to wolves?

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:30 AM)

Within a few generations without human intervention, the same traits resurface. because again, the genes aren't changed. Only the population.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:28 AM)

The genes for those traits are still present though. You're not manipulating the genotype, rather than the phenotype of the population.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:26 AM)

The fact that it's a more indirect method compared to, say, CRISPR is irrelevant.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Selective breeding is a form of genetic manipulation, since you're restricting or eliminating unfavored genetic patterns from being expressed in the target organisms.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:25 AM)

As it should be... People whine about GMO, but most of it is because they don't understand that biotech is usually just a faster way of doing the exact same thing thousands of years of crossbreading does.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:20 AM)

You can call it whatever you like, but again, that definition is so wide as to be worthless and few people would agree with the definition.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:20 AM)

The commonly accepted definition of "genetic modification" by the scientific community involves biotechnology and direct manipulation of genetic material

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:13 AM)

But.. While slower.. That's -exactly- what crossbreeding is.. Genetic modification.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:02 AM)

Which is patently ridiculous. They didn't modify the genetic makeup of these organisms; just manipulated the odds of traits deemed as favorable being expressed. 

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 07:53 AM)

By that definition, literally everything that humans have domesticated is a GMO.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 07:44 AM)

Why? It's completely geneticly modified to be almost completely distinct from what a real banana is.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:52 AM)

By looser definitions of GMO. So loose as to be worthless pretty much.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 06:35 AM)

So.. All banannas that anyone eats.. organic or not.. is a GMO..

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 06:23 AM)

Aren't they usually called palatains? But yeah, the only reason those cultivars survive at all is because of humans.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:16 AM)

That said, there are still wild banana plants which do reproduce sexually. If you don't mind gigantic seeds in them.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:16 AM)

This makes them highly susceptible to disease due to the stagnant genetic pool and inability to adapt.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:15 AM)

The domesticated kind reproduced asexually, meaning that the ones present today have the genetics of the same banana plants circa whenever bananas were domesticated

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 January 2019 - 04:53 AM)

Why would they be?

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2019 - 04:07 AM)

Shouldn't banana's be extinct now?

@  MEDdMI : (22 January 2019 - 11:38 PM)

:p You leave my male harem alone.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 11:27 PM)

Yeah, but unfortunately, it was Fire Emblem Fates.

@  MEDdMI : (22 January 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Fire Emblem Fates didn't force the gay pairings to have kids, not even for adoption. Granted, there were only 2 canon gay/bi options amoungst a sea of hetero, but still.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 10:27 PM)

It pissed off more people than usual since when the game was getting hyped much was made that you could have your character be gay as the first of May, and also the fact that the achievement for that event in the DLC was called "Growing Up"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 10:19 PM)

Never played the game, but that works as well! Textbook mindless natalism.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 10:15 PM)

Huh, I figured you were talking about that Assassins Creed Oddessy DLC that forces your character to have a kid regardless of your choices, previous behaviour, or current situation.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:16 PM)

Some context: I am bemoaning the fact that Modern Family is currently demonstrating why it should have already ended. Because not only it is making its annoying characters even worse, but Haley's storyline is taking her in a direction I hate.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:08 PM)

So when a lazy cop-out in the story happens, I'm going to object to the shoehorning.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:05 PM)

I think you misunderstand me. History is rife with instances wherein having children turned out not to be the right decision, and people with normal intelligence saw it coming. So people like myself find it infurating when television writers broadly pretend this doesn't happen.

@  Shrug : (22 January 2019 - 09:02 PM)

So it's not weird that it shows up in a lot of fiction. Since it shows up in a lot of nonfiction.

@  Shrug : (22 January 2019 - 09:01 PM)

But you know, like... the majority of people do it.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 08:49 PM)

And no characters call out this course of action for the stupidity it is. Believe it or not, not everyone is cut out to have kids, and having children is not an extraordinary life accomplishment.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 08:48 PM)

Yup. Like writers knocking up a (usually female) character for no good reason, often when said character has not previously expressed the desire for children, or children would heavily set back their life plans, or the other biological parent is not a good relationship partner.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 07:29 PM)

I mean, there's more to it, and varying levels of related concepts and blah blah blah, but I'm not gonna go further in the shoutbox.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 07:27 PM)

It's the "everyone's gotta make babies" school of thought. It varies but in media it manifests as "all characters end up married with kids or dead". For contrast an anti-natalist concept would be China's One Child policy.

@  Locoman : (22 January 2019 - 06:28 PM)

.... pro-natalist?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Pro-natalist clichés in fiction are overrated. But no Hollywood writer can come up with new ideas. Argh.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 10:05 AM)

How does the giant gimmicky Bumblebee toy have such an incredible leg transformation compared to the MPM

@  lastmaximal : (22 January 2019 - 09:27 AM)

I mean it's Vigo. We are like the buzzing of flies to him.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 05:51 AM)

Perfectly. His talent is only surpassed by Tommy Wiseau

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2019 - 04:57 AM)

How well he can play them is another story.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 04:34 AM)

Blasphemy. Nicolas Cage can play anybody.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 03:34 AM)

I'm just glad we're in a timeline where Nicolas Cage was too busy to play Aragorn in Lord of the Rings. As much as I may like Cage, there was no way he could have done that and Viggo was infintely better for the part.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 02:30 AM)

I want to see the timeline where Nicolas Cage was cast as Iron Man

Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars: Resistance - new cartoon debuting 7 October 2018!

Star Wars Rebels Force Awakens BB-8

66 replies to this topic

#1 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20652 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

EAD263_E6-_A219-4509-93_DB-_AFC18_B9_AB4

https://io9.gizmodo....-ser-1825546331

After Star Wars Rebels came to an end earlier this year, we knew the next chapter of Star Wars animation was close, and now we know exactly what it is. And its extremely exciting. The new chapter in Lucasfilms world is leaving behind the age of the Rebellion to tell a new saga set in the run-up to Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Announced by Lucasfilm today, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Rebels producer Dave Filonis next project will be Star Wars Resistance.

Set in what is described by the company as an uncharted time frame prior to The Force Awakens, the anime-inspired Resistance will follow a young pilot named Kazuda Xiono, recruited by General Leia Organas burgeoning Resistance for a top-secret surveillance mission to survey the growing power of the First Order. The series will focus on Kazuda and a cast of ace pilots, but will also feature familiar faces from the sequel trilogy in the form of BB-8, Poe Dameron, and Captain Phasma, with both Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie reprising their respective roles for the series.

Edited by Master Fwiffo, 26 April 2018 - 10:30 AM.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#2 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16570 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

1) I like this idea and am interested to see the character designs.

2) I'm gonna guess Poe and Phasma are gonna be occasional cameos not regulars, but that's fine.

3) It would be nice to eventually have a Star Wars cartoon where an ambiguous, likely death wasn't hovering over the protagonists. Their Last Jedi fate is gonna be a speculation for these guys like Ahsoka and Ezra before them.

-ZacWilliam, If I were them I'd honestly jump ahead an establish it right away just to do something different this time

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 26 April 2018 - 12:21 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#3 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1397 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

Is that a yellow X-wing?  Or an E-Wing / X-Wing hybrid?  When do I get the Lego version?!

I'm interested in this.  Anything fleshing out "The Resistance" would be incredibly welcome, IMO.

I wonder if they'll work in the end of Rebels? How can they not do that?

~Marduk

#4 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4300 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

It doesn't surprise me that this is coming.  After Last Jedi, I was pretty much expecting an "inter-quel" series akin to Clone Wars to fill the space between TLJ and Episode 9.  It does surprise me that they are looking at the origins of the First Order and being a prequel to TFA.

I'm glad to read that it will be "anime-inspired", and hoping that will give the series a breath of fresh air, stylistically.  Even though I know it's going to be cel-shaded CG like Robots in Disguise or Tron.

Guess we know what the big push for this Christmas will be :p

#5 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16570 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:49 AM

How long does Ashoka's species live? Ezra would be a bearded old man like Luke at the point this toon is set and the two searching for him would be even older.

-ZacWilliam, I dearly want to have that plot followed up but I'd hate to see it take that long in-story for the ladies to find him. Another place seems like it'd be better.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#6 Glenn

Glenn

Sitting next to me may result in Smart-ass poisoning

• Supporter
  • 10011 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

This looks interesting.  I'm sure I'll watcha few episodes and become completely addicted like everything else Star Wars.

#7 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 10879 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

I'm excited, but I was hoping for an OT-set Rogue Squadron series.

#8 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 63721 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Interesting.

It'd be nice if the main character was a female.

I want Jessika Pava to show up.

ACItEK8.png

#9 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4300 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:04 PM

"Anime-inspired" generally means it's going to look like an anime series, maybe with a bit of exaggeration in expressions.  Dreamwork's Voltron is "anime inspired".

I generally take it as meaning it's going to look like a 2D cartoon instead of the CG look Star Wars cartoons have mostly had since Clone Wars.

#10 Fenrir

Fenrir
  • Citizen
  • 792 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

I assume "anime-inspired" means human-proportioned cartoon characters, not sweatdrops and speedlines.

I'm excited and ready for a new Filoni series.

#11 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38566 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:40 PM

Awesome news! Although, I still need to see the last season of Rebels.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#12 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 27805 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:11 PM

Poe doesn't like the series premise, leads a mutiny and the show never gets past a pilot.

#13 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2688 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

mmmmmm, I want to be hopeful about this series but I am more worried than anything because the article doesn't exactly give a point in the timeline between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens and that is a big time frame, plus I do not really care for Poe as a charater, FA he just there, Last Jedi, didn't make me care much for him, or BB8, I think they should leave those charaters out of this or just give them a couple of moments but not as important, much like the original saga charaters were in rebels. Also, I didn't really like the last movie, AKA Last Jedi, that was a terrible film and it kind of killed a lot of my excitment for Star Wars, while I know the person in charge of this project did the previous two TV series, rebels was a bit of a mixed bag for me, so I'll try and keep a open mind, however I want to see actual footage of the show before judging if its worth my time or not, a logo tells me nothing about the artwork of the show.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#14 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

Too soon. Sob.

Uh, I mean... sounds great.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#15 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10727 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

The promo images seem to be implying a cel-shaded 3D look without outlines, which I'm not sure about; think I'll have to see it in motion. Kind of reminds me of Iron Man: Armored Adventures.

"Kazuda" sounds like a feminine name, so having a female protagonist would be neat.

unknown.png

#16 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1554 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:20 PM

3) It would be nice to eventually have a Star Wars cartoon where an ambiguous, likely death wasn't hovering over the protagonists. Their Last Jedi fate is gonna be a speculation for these guys like Ahsoka and Ezra before them.

I'd say this is an extremely different scenario compared to Ahsoka, Kanan, and Ezra. There were very specific reasons none of those characters could be around for the OT. The simple presence of another Jedi being active in the Rebellion during the OT would logically break the entire story premise of the OT. How can you have a story where the fate of the galaxy revolves around this kid struggling for years to become the first of the next generation of Jedi with little to no guidance from the virtually extinct order, when there's another guy in the office down the hall who can show him the ropes? It's not just that Yoda says he'll be the last Jedi. The entire story just doesn't work if those other characters are still in the picture. They had to be off the board by the end of Rebels, with death simply being the most clear and logical way to achieve that.

But some pilot who's part of the Resistance before TFA? How is it a problem if s/he is off on some mission at the time of TFA? Remember that TFA and TLJ combined take place over a matter of days. If a character wasn't at the Resistance HQ at the time of TFA's climax, that character simply wouldn't be part of the ST story thus far. It would be a bit of a thematical contradiction if Episode IX shows that there were really a bunch of other Resistance forces that avoided the TLJ slaughter, but a random pilot or two doesn't have any meaningful impact on the story. So as far as I can see, things are wide open for this new character.

#17 Fenrir

Fenrir
  • Citizen
  • 792 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:14 PM

The Resistance is understaffed, but there could still be Resistance groups out there.  The Rebel Alliance didn't hang out all in one place.  I'm not sure about the Raddus, but the other three evac ships, including Vice Admiral Holdo's ship and the A-Wing squadron, were the Resistance ships that were able to get to D'Qar in an hour's notice (or however much time passed since Starkiller).  The non-returning TFA Resistance cast members (e.g. Poe's team) are officially off on another mission.  It's not hard for Kazuda Xiono and her(?) team to still be in the Resistance, or even for them to cameo in Episode IX.

Edited by Fenrir, 28 April 2018 - 04:15 PM.

#18 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2688 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:49 PM

Amazon seems to think there are going to be 7 seasons of Rebels. Guessing they were misinformed.

It could be three of the four seasons spilt into two parts and that's what they call a season and we call mid season break around the halfway point.

#19 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4300 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:28 PM

New image of the main cast, including the new main, new First Order villain (in fancy red duds), and seems to point to Phasma and Poe having significant roles in the series.  Btw, still love the Crimson Skies hero fighter design:

http://www.jeditempl...aracters-leaks/

#20 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2688 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

MMMM, I'm not really sold on this, yet, not because Last Jedi kind of drained me of my love for Star Wars but because of the shift away from the computer animation style they been using for Clone Wars and Rebels to a more anime style, so I would like to see the trailer before deciding if I should watch this show or not

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Wars, Rebels, Force Awakens, BB-8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users