Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (24 June 2018 - 03:10 AM)

I just realised that Unsolved Mysteries has the same initials as Ultra Magnus.

@  Patchouli Kn... : (22 June 2018 - 05:18 AM)

Yeah, really... what a shitshow.

@  Pennpenn : (22 June 2018 - 04:53 AM)

This week has been an almost unmitigated damn nightmare. It can go die in some metaphorical trash fire where it belongs.

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2018 - 04:48 AM)

I feel your pain.

@  Whirl Maximus : (22 June 2018 - 04:47 AM)

This time ten years ago I was looking forward to Transformers 2.

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2018 - 01:41 AM)

There's room enough for five more cabinets.

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2018 - 01:41 AM)

Once I've settled in and earned money again, I can start with the third wall.

@  Plokatron : (21 June 2018 - 10:05 PM)

I'm still working on my comic just been trying to start up a Custom Lego shop. Won't be too long but I'm still here.

@  Dracula : (21 June 2018 - 10:02 PM)

(really though, great display)

@  Dracula : (21 June 2018 - 10:02 PM)

you're gonna have a buildup of dinosaur electrons.

@  Dracula : (21 June 2018 - 10:01 PM)

he needs his dino-breathing room! :D

@  Dracula : (21 June 2018 - 10:01 PM)

Trypticon looks a bit cramped in there, nevermore!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 June 2018 - 05:54 PM)

Sad thing is we've thought more about the foam than the show writers ever did. :D

@  Nevermore : (21 June 2018 - 05:47 PM)

https://imgur.com/ky0qGVD

@  Nevermore : (21 June 2018 - 05:47 PM)

Current status of my collection room in my new, still-under-construction apartment:

@  wonko the sane? : (21 June 2018 - 05:31 PM)

Depends on whether or not the motive engines for the vehicle mode are the same as the robot mode. Cause we know they use energon for everything.

@  Bass X0 : (21 June 2018 - 05:17 PM)

I was thinking today if Transformers would carry the fuel for their alternate mode in their robot mode? They'd have to, right?

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 June 2018 - 01:28 PM)

I mean, the clear meta reason is so non-Transformers don't die horribly on their ships, but that's not as fun to speculate about.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 June 2018 - 10:43 AM)

There's also lots of chemical reactions which only precipite with oxygen.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 June 2018 - 09:27 AM)

Oxygen is obviously a native gas on cybertron and also let’s the equipment “breath” so to speak.

@  Cybersnark : (21 June 2018 - 08:47 AM)

@Wonko; Yeah, but why oxygen? There are a lot of non-flammable gasses they could've used. And we've seen TFs using radio to communicate in vacuum.

@  Robowang : (21 June 2018 - 08:29 AM)

As the Cream of Wheat glugged forth from his meatus, his mind focused on only one thing: Mommy loved him so.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 June 2018 - 08:17 AM)

there's lots you can't do in vaccuum. The least of which is audio communication.

@  Cybersnark : (21 June 2018 - 08:04 AM)

Though that begs the question of why a robotic species would keep their ships pressurized with oxygen in the first place.

@  Pennpenn : (21 June 2018 - 07:29 AM)

Guess it's just me playing FTL recently. Opening a few doors out to the void is a good way to deal with fires and rude visitors.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 June 2018 - 07:14 AM)

Plus it depends on what part of the ship, can’t easily vent an interior area.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 June 2018 - 06:34 AM)

depends on what's wrong. If you need to get something out and away, would also need to have started in a pressurised space to begin with. If you just want to vent extra heat: it wouldn't work as well as vaccuum is an insulator.

@  Pennpenn : (21 June 2018 - 03:12 AM)

If they're in space wouldn't it make more sense just to vent the area affected to vacuum?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 June 2018 - 07:16 PM)

I mean the foam was dangerous, but in space they probably put out the fires, then wore the equivalent of a hazmat suit to clean up.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 June 2018 - 04:38 PM)

Only on special occassions.

@  Paladin : (20 June 2018 - 03:50 PM)

you don't?

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 June 2018 - 02:17 PM)

I mean, we don't usually use asbestos on our souls.....

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 June 2018 - 10:11 AM)

*looks at asbestos" Yep... Cause we've never used something harmful as a fire retardant. x.x;

@  unluckiness : (20 June 2018 - 06:32 AM)

fire retardant foam is so powerful it can extinguish even sparks

@  Pennpenn : (20 June 2018 - 05:23 AM)

I mean, this is a species that can be disabled (possibly fatally after a while?) by flame retardant foam, so yeah.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 June 2018 - 01:28 AM)

Transformers are exactly as resilient as the plot needs them to be, so who knows, it could be lethal today.

@  RichardT1977 : (19 June 2018 - 08:50 PM)

Which is why Marvel Megatron was interested in Dr. Biggles-Jones' railgun design and had it grafted onto his G2 tank mode.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2018 - 08:43 PM)

Doesn't really matter what transformers are made of. If you send a 10 pound ball of metal flying at a good enough velocity, you will do damage.

@  Soft Snow : (19 June 2018 - 05:53 PM)

A regular cannon that shoots cannon balls and does nothing to other transformers because they are robots but would put a mean whole in the side of your wooden boat...

@  Shiny Chariot : (19 June 2018 - 05:44 PM)

wtf did the shoutbox do to my emoji

also @ patchy its whatever your heart desires 😘

shes not a drill but she is a grill

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 June 2018 - 05:40 PM)

POTP CINDERSAUR IS A GIRL THIS IS NOT A DRILL

@  Patchouli Kn... : (19 June 2018 - 05:18 PM)

A fusion cannon, or just a regular cannon?

@  Shiny Chariot : (19 June 2018 - 05:04 PM)

megatron but he turns into a ford fusion with a cannon badly welded onto the roof

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2018 - 02:22 PM)

My Little Fusion Cannon: Friendship Through Tyranny.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 June 2018 - 02:01 PM)

was that supposed to sound sexual

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2018 - 01:55 PM)

I'm pretty sure that megatrons cannon is his best friend, so that friendship is magic stuff won't work.

@  MEDdMI : (19 June 2018 - 01:16 PM)

And then the magic ponies force everyone to be friends FOREVERRRRRRR

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2018 - 12:06 PM)

Or... megatron just goes to war against skynet cause he can't stand the competition.

Photo

The Last of Us

16 replies to this topic

#1 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

I've been curious about this title for a while now. I resisted getting it because I hate horror games...and particularly ones with limited resources.

But I kept hearing about it and of course Logan and all the comparisons that came with it couldn't be ignored.

So I was able to get it off PSN for about $7 on a massive sale (ends tomorrow evening).

I still don't like limited resources as a general rule. But holy crap, this game is good! I've only been playing it since this evening after work...but dang, just the story alone. And the beginning...just...damn!

In a way, I'm glad I waited because dang! I got this cheap! On the other hand, I'm kinda sorry I never played this sooner.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#2 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 7131 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:41 PM

Haven't played but saw the beginning. Yeah, that was painful to watch, especially hearing her voice.

FWXOT0z.gifphoto_zpsa2a20628.gif

Toy Drama Theater - 1 minute episodes of Transformers (and others) having drama in their lives

https://www.youtube....CateRo5nEbdkDhF

#3 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Okay, I gotta just say something here. I have a pistol, a revolver, a riffle, a shotgun, a bow and arrow, shivs and molotov cocktails. Ellie has asked me a few times now for a gun.

Now, I know in todays world, giving a teenager Ellie's age would be generally frowned upon. But in a post-apocalyptic world where the girl has seem some serious shit every day of her life, where she's obviously not stupid and knows a bit about how to survive and...most importantly...WHO YOU ARE DRAGGING ACROSS ZOMBIE INFESTED WAR ZONE AFTER ZOMBIE INFESTED WAR ZONE WITH BARELY A POCKET KNIFE TO DEFEND HERSELF...

...maybe giving the poor girl a gun wouldn't be too far out of line, hmm?

Yeah, sorry, Joel. I'm with Ellie on this one. Give the damn kid a gun!
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#4 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1340 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:22 PM

I've kind of had my eye on the game for a while. It's not my type of game really, but by all accounts it seems to be worth playing anyway. Right around the time I was seriously considering getting it, the remastered version for PS4 was announced, so I figured I'd wait for that. However many years later now, I still don't have that PS4. While I definitely will eventually get one, I am not likely to get it until next year at the earliest. So with all that in mind, are the PS4 version's enhancements worth waiting for, or should I just go ahead with the PS3 version?

#5 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:17 PM

I never played the PS3 version. So I couldn't really say how much better the PS4 is than the PS4. I mean, from what I've seen, you've got the PS3 at 720P with 30fps or the PS4 at 1080p with 60fps.

Going by an IGN review, I guess the photo mode is specific to PS4 if your into photo modes. Trigger buttons I guess are also remapped. But if you haven't created any muscle memory for the game yet, I can't imagine that should be a deciding factor. I guess the Left Behind DLC is supposed to be included (in which case I'm peeved because I actually spent money to get it separately).

Quick google search says that there's some map packs and Left Behind DLC included with remastered not included with the PS3. I haven't played Left Behind yet. I'm waiting for that for post game. I'd say that would be the one significant thing included with Remastered. But even that you should be able to get on PS3, just separately.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#6 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:37 PM

Dang! I see Ellie like this and it just gives me chills!

No language problems, but disturbing images. But then it is Last of Us 2...so...yeah.

Guess I better get to finishing this game before the next one comes out.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#7 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

Shit! I know ordinarily one should avoid spoilers for any game they're currently playing. But...damn! Even when I know it's coming, it packs a punch!
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#8 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

Hell yeah, I high-fived Ellie! You'd have to be a heartless bastard to just leave her hanging. Small moment, but it just became my favorite.

Okay, so there's quite a few rumors started by that trailer up there. Since they're just wild mass guessing by fans about a game that's not even out yet, I'm not sure spoiler tags are necessary.

1. Ellie is beginning to feel the effects of her infection. Even though she's technically immune to the zombie aspects of the fungus, she still has this fungus growing on her brain just physically taking up space. This rumor started because of how her hand is shaking before she starts playing the guitar.

I really don't think so. I mean, it's possible. But I don't think the hand shaking necessarily points to that. It looks like she just killed three guys...on her own. That's bound to cause a heck of an adrenaline rush for anybody, especially if she isn't used to killing like that (which seems likely given how much she's having to psyche herself up to this roaring rampage that Joel asks her about at the end).

2. Joel's dead and Ellie is just imagining/hallucinating his presence and how he would react to what she's doing. That or he could actually be a ghost here. This rumor started given how Joel first appears walking in the door from a background completely whited out, you never see her face and some of his word choices not quite lining up with what Joel would really say.

This is a possibility. I wouldn't say that he's a ghost. Even given the zombies in this franchise, it's kept fairly scientific and down to earth. I don't think they'd introduce ghosts. But Joel being dead, or maybe dying at some point in the game...well...Neil Druckmann got kinda cagey when directly asked about this very same theory. But then, of course he would be, whether Joel dies or not. You can't just confirm or deny something like that. Either way it would be a huge spoiler. I'm kinda surprised she even tried. Do a search for "The Last of Us Part II - PSX 2017 Panel | PS4" It's a nearly hour long video and I haven't really screened it for language, so I rather not post it here. But it's possible, but I'm not totally convinced either.

3. Those three dead people are Fireflies and she's out to take revenge on them. Maybe for killing Joel, maybe for killing her mother...but in any case, it's the Fireflies that she's after. 

This one I actually whole heartedly believe. The Firefly insignia on the stop sign outside only seems to confirm this, which possibly means that it wasn't them that attacked her, it seems very likely that she attacked them!

4. Fairly minor rumor says that maybe she got that tattoo from someone close, maybe a lover. This said because in a post-apocalyptic world where trust is hard to come by, you wouldn't let just anyone take the time to poke and prod you with a needle. In any case, it was done to hide her bite.

I can agree that she probably had it done to hide the bite. Sure most people seem to be out to kill her anyway. But that bite mark could possibly make enemies of would-be friends because no one wants to be around an infected. Of course, it seemed to me she had some fresh marks on her as well...so...? In any case, the idea that they were done by someone close, maybe a lover...I tend to doubt. I mean, it may be possible. But hardly conclusive with what we're given. My thought is that except for Joel...and if he above is true, maybe even including Joel, every one Ellie ever trusted and/or allowed to get close to her has either betrayed her or died. I'm thinking by the time this game rolls around, she's not going to be too terribly sociable.

PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#9 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:48 PM

Holy crap! I didn't plan on finishing this today. But...credits rolling and...damn! I mean, I've seen Youtube videos. I knew exactly how it ended. But it just...it didn't prepare me. I mean...jeez! Trying not to spoil anything (though I'm getting the feeling I'm the only one reading this thread at this point), but...holy crap! Spoiling myself did nothing to soften the impact. I mean, maybe it did some...but...damn! I am wrecked!

I may need a breather before I do the Left Behind DLC...because...dang!
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#10 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:10 PM

And that's it for Left Behind. Dang this game didn't pull any punches. The story is just...damn! I can't wait for Part II. I'm actually kind of sorry I'm done with this now. It was a hell of a ride. At least all the cinematics are all unlocked so I can just watch it movie style.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#11 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 7131 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:30 AM

I watched the cinematics before and I think my sorta problem was just a plot part contrivement. About how near the end, after all the monster fighting and stuff they survived, they had to... slip and fall unconscious during that water area? I'm not sure if I'm remembering that right. But they just appeared with the Fireflies and set the stage for the ending scene.

Just felt contrived that they were out, when they (or you as the player) had all the experience and you had no control about them getting knocked out then.

Toy Drama Theater - 1 minute episodes of Transformers (and others) having drama in their lives

#12 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

Well, that probably is my one complaint (if I were to have any) about this game.

In actual gameplay, Joel has this kind of echo location ability which, in gameplay, makes it virtually impossible for anyone to get the drop on him. Yet when the game wants it to happen, someone will get the drop on him. And it happens quite a bit.

But Asince it does happen quite a bit during the game, I can't really call them out on any one particular instance.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#13 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 7131 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:55 AM

Oh yeah, the radar, hehe. But, yeah, it was a story point there. After all the monster and enemy evading, you can't stop the cut scene part cuz of plot, hehe

I think it's ok to talk spoilers on a game some years old, right?

Just on the ending, I, hmm, I think I wouldn't have done what Joel did. Or at least I wouldn't have shot the people up. Cuz they were still good guys? But it's the world and everything.

#14 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:22 AM

Oh yeah, the radar, hehe. But, yeah, it was a story point there. After all the monster and enemy evading, you can't stop the cut scene part cuz of plot, hehe

Oh, I get what you're saying. I'm just saying, there's several times throughout the game where Joel's radar sense goes poof and someone gets the drop on him. I went back and rewatched the cutscene and saw that the Fireflies didn't really so much as surprise him. They came out of the water and Ellie wasn't breathing. So Joel was doing CPR and while he was doing it, they came up and told him not to move. He didn't listen to them and kept trying to do CPR when they knocked him over the head.

Plus they were actively looking for the Fireflies.

So that part I really don't think that part qualifies for getting the drop on them.

Just on the ending, I, hmm, I think I wouldn't have done what Joel did. Or at least I wouldn't have shot the people up. Cuz they were still good guys? But it's the world and everything.

Well, I understand why some people would've liked the choice of whether to save Ellie or save the world. But from what I've seen with Uncharted and here with Last of Us...I don't think that's the kind of game that Naughty Dog makes.

As for doing what Joel did...hehehe! You see, you're really only forced to kill the one doctor with the scalpel (and of course any enemies you meet along the way and ultimately Marlene). But you can leave the other two doctors/nurses that are in the room totally alive. I killed all three of them.

At that point, Joel's already done some brutal things in order to save Ellie. And you know, by the end of it all, even I loved Ellie so much...yeah...no body touches Ellie. So I killed all three doctors, including the two I didn't have to. And while killing Marlene happens in a cinematic, even if I were given a choice, I still would've shot her.

Nobody...NO...BODY...threatens baby girl.

PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#15 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 7131 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:22 PM

Oh, I don't remember that CPR getting knocked out part anymore, haha. Or Ellie drowning. See, she's a tough kid and if it was gameplay, she wouldn't have drowned, haha.

On the other thing... My paternal instinct isn't there yet so, I dunno, I would let her go.

Or if I ran away with her, I wouldn't kill Marlene. She was out to save the world too :(

Horrible decisions really :( I want happy endings!

#16 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:04 PM

Happy endings? You want a happy ending, you should go to a massage parlor. This is Last of Us, damnit!

Ahem...anyway...Ellie can't swim. It's actually a big plot point so some of the puzzles. And if by the end of the game, you could decide to just let Ellie die, then you're a monster. A complete and total monster! Hell yeah, I'd kill three doctors and Marlene to save Ellie. I'd kill ALL the doctors before I let anything happen to Ellie. Humanity is not worth her life!

Not really joking with that last one, either. By the end of the game, you see that humanity is rather scummy. With very few exceptions, there aren't too many people worth saving. Ellie's one of them.

So yeah, great game. Highly suggest it. You should be able to find it for $20 on the PSN or retail. Probably cheaper at a Disc Replay or something. So, hell yeah I think you should play this. 

Considering I was on vacation for a week (and in another state where I couldn't play this at all for that entire week) and already I've finished it since starting this thread...I'd say I finished this in maybe a little over a week. So, yeah, maybe short (or I just played the hell out of it). But considering the low price point you should be able to find it at, and the hell of a ride you'd be in for...I really suggest playing through this. You miss a lot by only having seen the cinematics. 

PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#17 Caldwin

Caldwin

Wha?

• Supporter
  • 22318 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

Okay...HEAVY LANGUAGE AND VIOLENCE WARNING...SERIOUSLY!

But being Last of Us...I'm not sure how gameplay footage would get posted otherwise.

PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users