Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 August 2018 - 09:20 PM)

Despite my parents explaining that to me when I was a kid, I still half-panic every time I see condensation dripping.

@  Shrug : (15 August 2018 - 08:23 PM)

Yup. If the water happens to be on the left or right of the vehicle, make sure to remember that. That way it's real easy to tell if it's something else dripping.

@  Nevermore : (15 August 2018 - 05:15 PM)

So I checked online and it appears... it's totally normal, that's apparently condensed water from the air conditioning.

@  Nevermore : (15 August 2018 - 05:14 PM)

Phew!" For a moment I thought I was in real trouble because when I arrived at home and drove my car into the garage, there was a trail of large wet spots.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2018 - 08:01 AM)

The showerhead exploded off the pipe this morning. So yeah... think it's going to be a "great" day.

@  Donocropolis : (13 August 2018 - 09:44 PM)

Luckily, it was "Wheel Horse Lawnmower"

@  Donocropolis : (13 August 2018 - 09:44 PM)

I knew that my father was getting old when he finally posted a facebook status that was clearly a search term.

@  The Wadapan : (12 August 2018 - 12:18 PM)

could've been worse then :p

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 August 2018 - 12:03 PM)

So when he tried to pry into his daughter's love life, he ended up posting numerous search terms relating to "hot boy".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 August 2018 - 12:02 PM)

I once saw this comedy episode wherein a dad mistakenly thought the status bar on Facebook was the search bar.

@  The Wadapan : (12 August 2018 - 11:41 AM)

is cool squawkbox =/= search box

@  The Wadapan : (12 August 2018 - 11:41 AM)

iron man note to self

@  Echowarrior : (12 August 2018 - 05:02 AM)

Happy Birthday to Nevermore and Angelus!

@  Waspinator : (11 August 2018 - 04:45 PM)

I like how that game had all kinds of transformation attacks. Some of them may not have made much sense, but they looked cool.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2018 - 11:33 AM)

Menasor kinda did that in the Devastation video game. He'd split into the Stunticons and run you over.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 August 2018 - 08:04 AM)

Megatron screams "decepticons attack", the constructicons form devastator, who then screams "Multi-vector assault mode" and breaks back into invdividual bots to attack seperately.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 August 2018 - 11:20 PM)

Imagine: an armada battle between Omega Supreme and Tidal Wave.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 August 2018 - 11:20 PM)

Some TF creator should apply it to multi-component Transformers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 August 2018 - 11:19 PM)

"Multi-vector assault mode" is such a cool term from Star Trek: Voyager.

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 August 2018 - 04:24 PM)

Most things would be pretty cold after two hundred and seventy degrees.

@  RichardT1977 : (10 August 2018 - 02:39 PM)

(Because F = (9C/5) + 32)

@  RichardT1977 : (10 August 2018 - 02:38 PM)

Oh yeah, five times thirty is TWO HUNDRED SEVENTY! My bad...

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2018 - 01:15 PM)

Given the weather we've been having this summer, anything under 30 is a friggen god send.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2018 - 12:53 PM)

Surely "slightly under 30" doesn't pass for "cold" unless you live in the tropics.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2018 - 12:20 PM)

... or we're finally facing the end game of global warming, but no one will care by then.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2018 - 12:18 PM)

Generally speaking, if the number when referring to temperature is less than 50, you're probably not talking to an american.

@  Benbot : (10 August 2018 - 11:13 AM)

86 F

@  RichardT1977 : (10 August 2018 - 11:07 AM)

(30 C = 68 F)

@  RichardT1977 : (10 August 2018 - 11:06 AM)

And is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

@  Benbot : (10 August 2018 - 09:13 AM)

What continent are you in?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2018 - 06:41 AM)

oh wow... even with humidity today it won't break 30. It's going to be so... COLD...

@  MEDdMI : (08 August 2018 - 06:58 AM)

@Msol Make sure he shares. My bro hardly ever let me play with his TFs. I even offered to let him play with my dolls/ponies, too.

@  MEDdMI : (08 August 2018 - 06:37 AM)

:p My brother was a bigger pain as a kid. As adults, I'm the bigger pain now.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 August 2018 - 06:31 AM)

Congrats man, and good luck. My personal experience is that little girls are pains in the ass clean through 30.

@  Msol : (07 August 2018 - 10:59 PM)

Yup yup. Now my 2.5yo will need to learn to share all his TFs...

@  MEDdMI : (07 August 2018 - 09:53 PM)

@Msol Really? Congratulations! :)

@  Msol : (07 August 2018 - 08:48 PM)

Ack! We're having a girl!

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 August 2018 - 06:16 PM)

It did include a Transmetal 2 hyena with a giant sawblade in his back.

@  unluckiness : (07 August 2018 - 08:56 AM)

but does it BURN BURN BURN TO THE GROUND?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2018 - 08:01 AM)

Okay, I don't buy doubles and I would have gone after a dozen of those.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2018 - 10:32 PM)

I still think Beast Wars should have included a Transmetal Maximal hyena with a motorcycle-based semi-third mode, of Junkion descent, named Lafftrax

@  Pennpenn : (06 August 2018 - 03:24 AM)

Well if they did the same thing as Roadbattletrapslash (and if they didn't what's the point?) it'd be two new molds, but still.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (05 August 2018 - 01:08 PM)

I'm surprised that Hasbro wound up scheduling Frenzy for release in the Bumblebee movie line.

@  TheMightyMol... : (05 August 2018 - 12:50 PM)

Dunno. There's been recent Rewind toys, and Eject is just a quick repaint. Flywheels would mean a whole new mold.

@  Cyoti : (05 August 2018 - 08:24 AM)

Flywheels is probably in the same queue at Hasbro as Eject.

@  TheMightyMol... : (05 August 2018 - 03:22 AM)

Energon Redux.

@  Foffy : (05 August 2018 - 03:15 AM)

Grand Slamwich

@  Pennpenn : (04 August 2018 - 07:51 PM)

So we can get proper Flywheels and maybe Grand Slam? I mean, I'm sure if they did it as a full range we'd have an Optimus in there somewhere (with Roller pants? I dunno).

@  Pennpenn : (04 August 2018 - 07:48 PM)

I'd like to see them do more duocon type toys later on. Sort of like how they did Brainstorm as a Headmaster on his own before releasing an entire range of them.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2018 - 08:03 AM)

The first time I saw him, they were both on the shelf, and I passed on roadtrap cause I wasn't overtly impressed with the design. Grabbed battleslashe, read the instructions... ahhh, it's a duocon. Then didn't see the little blue git again until yesterday.

Photo
- - - - -

Totally Scientific Poll: Would you want Peter Cullen as Prime in the next animated iteration of Transformers?

55 replies to this topic

Poll: Totally Scientific Poll

Cullen or Not Cullen

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46781 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:19 PM

Marduk indirectly raised a question in the Potpie thread. I'm quoting snippets of that exchange here:

Don't make a Prime that's going to sound like Cullen again, or a G1 that's always ultimately going to end up in 1984.

I'm pretty happy to keep Cullen around for as long as possible.

Oh I fully admit I'm in the minority on Cullen. 

The last line spurred the poll, but as the two of them fleshed out in the full posts, it's pretty uncontroversial that Cullen is both very good and very popular, and also that Optimus as presently constructed by the movies and cartoons and as voiced by Cullen is a pretty one-dimensional creature of nostalgia-bomb quotations.

There are lots of ways to Cullen (this or that variation of the Prime voice, or a new one entirely, with emotional range or without, etc.) and many ways to not Cullen (from no Optimus Prime at all to Ron Perlman to a Cullen soundalike.) I think that's a discussion that most of us have probably seen parts of but there's no reason not to have it again here if you're interested in sharing your thoughts.

As concerns the poll, though, I'm gauging a binary. If you prefer any form of Cullen, no matter what provisos you want to attach in the thread (whether about the character or role of Prime or the voice style, etc.) that's a Cullen vote. Likewise the reverse; you may have in mind "no more Optimi", an unspecific "someone new", or a very specific voice in a particular VA's toolbox, but it's a Not Cullen vote either way. You also don't have to have a strong preference to vote one or the other; I'm leaving out an "indifferent" option because I imagine the vast majority of us, if pressed, would agree that the opposite choice done well would still be better than our own preference implemented poorly. If you strongly have no preference, please null vote.

Is it time to go back to the sea of non-Cullen possibilities? Should Cullen stay on as Prime for as long as he's able? How do you feel about the future of voices for Optimus Prime?

Edited by Copper Bezel, 07 March 2018 - 07:22 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#2 Vexwing

Vexwing

You are being deceived

• Staff
  • 3343 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

I don't want an Optimus in the next iteration of Transformers.

But I'm not going to get that, so I'm fine with Cullen staying.

35806863916_c3f0822359_o.jpg
I'm on twitter for some reason! Hell if I know why.
@vexwing

www.flickr.com/vexwing

#3 Chromedome113

Chromedome113
  • Citizen
  • 108 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

I want Cullen back as long as he gets to be the fun goofy light hearted Prime he wants to play again, and not dour stoic nothing tape hiss he's told to play. Rescue bots, he was almost there, he had lines that were super fun but were held back from their full potential due to a weird Hasbro mandate.

#4 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46781 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

I'm personally in the camp that while Hasbro is clearly most of the problem with recent Primes, sticking with Cullen sure isn't helping and anything new would be refreshing. Machinima really sealed the deal for me by juxtaposing a Cullen sound-alike and Cullen doing a Cullen impression; I honestly still can't decide which was worse, which means that Cullen might not even be the best available Cullen impersonator even if "something new" is completely off the table.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 07 March 2018 - 07:53 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#5 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10413 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:57 PM

I'm voting for "no" purely on the basis that the only decent bit of Optimus voicework from Cullen in the last decade was this:

Edited by Broadside, 07 March 2018 - 07:59 PM.

#6 CORVUS

CORVUS

Why are you Earthlings so difficult?

• Supporter
  • 32032 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:58 PM

I'd prefer someone new at this point, or even someone who has done it in the past making a return to the character. But more than anything, we definitely need more G1-toon less-serious but still a commanding-presence Optimus, and less "My life is a boring pain" and/or "I'LL KILL YOU!" Optimus.

"Don’t you see? Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it." - The Eleventh Doctor

#7 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2386 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

I'm happy for Cullen to carry on playing OP, for now, but it depends on what he wants to do, for we know the upcoming series of TF could be his last, however, I know for certain he not the only person capable of playing Optimus prime, thou Cullen set the standard and the mold hasn't really been broken since with the other voice actors playing OP, but I think it would be intersting to see in a animated series, different OPs gather from different realities, AKA past verisons and have the voice actors of those Primes play off against Cullen, just to see what the results are and do similar with Megatron, its just a thought, the primes could discuss what it actually means to be a prime and get interupted by their arch enemy.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#8 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 5880 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

Obviously I voted Cullen. I do like to see room for non-Cullen Optimi to exist; it took me a while to reach that point, but I got there. I'd be happy to see any previous Optimus come back, embracing nostalgia of any vintage tends to be a thing I dig, and I'm open to completely new dudes if they work.

But as long as G1-tethered projects continue to exist, the idea of shutting the door on Cullen for good is unconscionable. 

I think Welker as Megatron is a completely different thing, because Megatron is allowed to be more things than Optimus generally is and so you never know which Welker you might get. Whereas with Prime... you can be pretty confident. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#9 Ave Destron!

Ave Destron!
  • Citizen
  • 5129 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

no i couldnt watch prime because of him
Does anyone see City-Swimmer? Is he gliding beneath the silver water? Is he creeping 'round a corner, hugging a wall, silent as a shadow in the dark?

#10 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1087 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:18 PM

I guess my vote is already known, lol.

I do like Cullen. I smiled so hard at getting him back for TF2007, but I'd really prefer not to get His Prime again for a while. Whether that's strictly Cullen or Hasbro's trend more towards G1, I'm not entirely sure. The two are so intertwined that it's almost impossible to separate them in my mind. Any G1 Prime is going to sound like Cullen, and most Cullen Prime's end up sounding like G1 (when they aren't taking faces).

I think it's time for something different when it comes to Prime. That is, if we have to have "Optimus Prime" in whatever comes next.

~Marduk (come on, Hasbro. Give Razorbeast a chance.)

Edited by Marduk, 07 March 2018 - 08:19 PM.

#11 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Pinky to pinky~

• Citizen
  • 3473 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:37 PM

Matthew Mercer using a more subdued version of his McCree voice as Optimus Prime, please. :D

That doesn't mean that Peter Cullen has to not be in that hypothetical next iteration of the series, either; he could be a younger Optimus' predecessor, like many other VAs have been to their classic characters (Larry Kenney as Lion-O's father, Adam West as the Gray Ghost, etc).

Having Cullen as Optimus is cool and all, but I feel it does limit how you can write Optimus as a character - Cullen has been sounding his age for a while now, so it's hard to write Optimus as anything other than 'grizzled, possibly traumatized war veteran'.

#12 Arazyr

Arazyr
  • Citizen
  • 681 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

Honestly, I could really go either way. I like Cullen from G1, movies, Prime, etc. I also liked Gary Chalk from Beast Wars through Cybertron. Even the occasional other guys were decent.

As long as the characterization is good (i.e., please no more face taker), I'm fine with whomever.

----
My Buy/Sale/Trade thread. Currently - Nothing at the moment.

Legion of Plastic, My new webcomic. WebsiteFacebook.

#13 Plokatron

Plokatron

Explorer of the Omniverse

• Citizen
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:46 PM

Allow Cullen to play a Optimus who is more in line with Gary Chalks' Primal. Stoic leader but with the ability to have fun with it. If not Prime I want Cullen in the next best role Ironhide. 

Look here mate it's Slag not Slug! It's metal related and nothin else in this day and age your just being pedantic! Plus how is a Triceratops connected to a Slug?! Not a invertebrate nor is it very fast. Don't look at me like that Slugs are a type of ammo broaden your horizons!

#14 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 41150 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

Peter Cullen as Bob Sagat. A younger, more energetic voice as Josh Radnor.

#15 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 5880 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

I think you mean Daniel Stern and Fred Savage, but yeah. 

Vanessa Redgrave and Jessica Raine...?

WsuGTl1.jpg

#16 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2853 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

no i couldnt watch prime because of him

Blame the director, not him.

#17 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 62756 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

I want Cullen Optimus that has heart and humanity. You can tell when he was talking about the differences between Optimus then and now, that he honestly prefers the original version and misses getting to perform that version that so many people looked up to.

Someone new with their own take is good too.

#18 Walky

Walky

A bigger physique than a gorilla captain

• Citizen
  • 38699 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:01 PM

DAVID KAYE

#19 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 15327 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:02 AM

This decision is going to be made for us in the next decade or so.

#20 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 5880 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:56 AM

I WANT DAVID KAYE TO REPLACE LV

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users