Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM)

Oof-

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

Photo

Stellaris: Apocalypse

19 replies to this topic

#1 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:13 PM

Since the old one (I'm fairly sure we had an old one) has faded into the ether, and with the advent of 2.0/Apocalypse I figured it would be a good time to start another discussion (especially since it would be rude to keep cluttering the Random Video Game Image thread).

I've gotta say, the changes between 1.9 and 2.0 are pretty damn massive, it almost feels like a new game. Some things are confusing (especially if you missed them in the patch notes/didn't bother reading them). The fleet manage seems to like creating phantom ship groups, not sure what's up with that- it may just be my inexperience or a glitch, we'll see.

I do appreciate that the Curator labs aren't a module any more, rather buffs that apply to your science ships without needing to upgrade. Well, I mean you don't need to "upgrade" them any more at all since they (somehow) update to the latest tech whenever you develop it without having to return to home. Which I appreciate from a logistical standpoint even though it threw me for a loop when I developed the Curator survey lab.

I feel vaguely annoyed when the ship designer keeps cranking out "auto-best" designs since experience has taught me to never trust the computer to handle things.

In my current game I've got a wide empire but ended up with bugger all planets. Might have to go Voidborne and start cranking out habitats and eventually Ringworlds.

Anyway, please share your thoughts on the game if you're playing.

Edit: I also appreciate the new reactor systems, not having to juggle that balance between shields, reactors, and generators. I get the feeling that the reactor booster auxiliary isn't all that useful early on.

Also not sure how I feel about missile tech getting shoved off into the "Guided" category to share room with torpedoes. Kinda liked having my fleets use nothing but missiles. Oh well. It makes some sense, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Edit2: The fact that Democratic mandates now give unity instead of influence also confused me and messed up my claiming systems for a bit.

Edited by Pennpenn, 24 February 2018 - 10:23 PM.

#2 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47879 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:37 AM

Like you said, it feels like a totally different game.

It took a bit to get used to, but I do enjoy the new system by which you claim territory via frontier outpost rather than basic expansion. It lets you control your borders a bit, and bypasses the all too often symptom of having really neat systems on the ouskirts of your territory you can't quite reach.

I do miss the various FTL technologies, but as an exclusive Hyperlane player previously, there wasn't a big learning curve for me in that regard. I love the fact edicts are upfront costs rather than continued drains on Influence...and honestly I enjoy how Influence is a bigger overall "currency" in the game that helps check your expansion.

Also, Paradox's game was on point for the trailers:

Edited by Rust, 25 February 2018 - 03:41 AM.

#3 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6468 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

Maybe this is a good occasion to take another crack at Stellaris. I got it when it came out and found the initial expansion and exploration phase was a lot of fun. Then when your borders start bumping into other races that shift in gameplay felt under-baked and wasn't as engaging or fun to me.

It wouldn't be the first Paradox game that needed a couple expansions and DLC packs to be a good game.

Edited by Teufel, 25 February 2018 - 11:21 AM.

#4 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47879 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

Not sure how much better that is, honestly but there's a lot more strategy involved in securing your own borders. With the switch to Hyperlane only, it makes finding chokepoint systems that defend large swaths of your territory that much more important. It also makes clearing out the galactic riff-raff a strategic decision. If you've got a chokepoint system that has a Crystalline Entity presence, for example, it's actually more sound a move to not clear the system if you don't have to. Why waste your own resources defending the backdoor when the creatures of the universe can do it for you?

Also pirates routinely spawn in unclaimed systems around your territory. There then becomes something of a decision to either snap up all territory next to a neighbor, or leave it lie fallow and potentially serve as a headache to them.

#5 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:22 AM

I have to figure out at some point if other empires are able to use wormholes you've explored and find out if that also applies to Crisis fleets. I mean, you can explore and use wormholes in systems owned by other empires (haven't tried to do one that heads into an unfriendly empire since pretty much everyone I've met so far has been at least tolerant of my continued existence, but I get the feeling you'll be able to explore it but not use it) and there's an implication that "exploring" the wormhole causes it to stabilize.

I'm kind of hoping that's the case and I'm opening up several Pandora's Boxes worth of "fun", since what the end game Crisis fleets needed was the ability to bip across the galaxy uncontrolled.

Relevant to what Rust is saying above I'm not ashamed to say I have the Ether Drake guarding one of my choke points. That said I've also got the Automated Dreadnought blocking off a handful of systems right in the middle of my empire including at least one decent sized climatically appropriate planet in the Dread's system. Ah well, guess I'll just eventually get it hopefully as an early Titan proxy. And I'm kind of glad that I don't have to worry about not being able to swap out its FTL drive for Jump Drives later in the game. Pre-2.0 it was rather annoying when you got Psi/Jump Drives that it either acted like a ball and chain around your capital fleet's ankles or you had to retire an otherwise excellent ship just because your engineers couldn't be arsed swapping out the drive section.

#6 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47879 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

Ended up firing up a few more games - one to take my Space Templars out for a spin and my "United Federation of Planets" analogue (The one Government ethos that actively WANTS refugees. I demand diversity!).

Space Templars got smacked right away with the doomsday event for the Homeworld, so now I'm running around trying to find the criteria necessary to advance that chain. My UFP game (The Accord of Affiliated Worlds) has seen me spawn next to two Xenophile BFFs and one Xenophobic Isolationist who has basically claimed the northern half of the map for themselves.

#7 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:46 AM

Status update! Yes, empires (or at least Marauder Clans) can use wormholes you've stabilized. I think you can figure out how I figured that out. Thankfully they're "cheap" to buy off for now. Next time I'll be ready and those lawless sodding vegetables will pay...

#8 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47879 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

When you have had enough of the Marauder Clan's nonsense.

q3NOZL0.jpg

They were the first alien species I ever encountered and have been a pain in my southern flank for 200 years. This is my Xenophile Pacifist empire. Had to knock out one of their systems to complete the cage, but that fleet nearby is named "Jailers". This also doesn't reflect the Ion Cannon I installed on each Citadel - bumping their attack strength to 22k. Without any defense platforms (So far).

I figured I'd keep them alive in case during the End Game catastrophes I need mercenaries. But this way they aren't constantly wrecking my crap.

#9 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:06 PM

Nice!

Started a new game of Stellaris today and got the "Religious crazies got a bunch of ships somehow", which I'd like to happen more often (only seen it twice). Though the first few battles went off without a hitch, I got to the final event and somehow its on the other side of the galaxy. I mean, it was in a system with one half of a wormhole pair so I guess the game didn't take into account that I hadn't stabilized it (and couldn't possibly have stabilized it for at least a few decades) when it was checking if it was close, but it really pissed me off.

Edit: Are you running on the beta patch, Rust? Have you noticed any instances of completing first contact situations but not getting the pop-up? It's happened a few times for me. I guess it doesn't matter unless we don't get the influence bonus since the choice of greeting doesn't seem to matter, but still.

Edited by Pennpenn, 17 March 2018 - 06:28 PM.

#10 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47879 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

Yup. It happened after I was long established and with empires across the map, so I thought it was just a new quirk for Apocalypse where the game prompts that a new civilization has been discovered, but since they're clear across the galaxy they really don't matter to you.

It's especially funny since one of 'em is a Bio-Borg type empire that keeps sending me insults while the other powers are carving it up like a roast. It's like "Okay, have fun with that."

#11 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:46 AM

I'm feeling annoyed that you can't affect how a starbase's weapons or defenses are arranged in Stellaris. Not the defense platforms, but the actual base itself. I suppose under most circumstances the generic choices made would be reasonable, but for certain circumstances it's very frustrating and if I was actually trying to run a stellar empire I'd find the engineer responsible for installing shield generators and kinetic weaponry on a star base in a system with a NEUTRON STAR and flush them out the nearest airlock.

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47879 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:34 AM

I'm rather irked. I've unlocked the Psi Jump Drive and installed it on all my ships. The problem is, I haven't the foggiest idea how to actually use the dang thing. My ships keep moving along the normal hyperlane routes. I thought the Jump Drive acted more akin the old Warp Drive (The ships even have a radius circle around them indicating how far they can "jump").

I've also abused the heck out of the Shroud you can contact when unlocking full on telepathy. My race were already Venerable, but I keep farming the increased life span buff out of the Shroud. My leaders are still the same ones I started the game with and 266+ years of age. :D

#13 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:40 AM

The jump drive doesn't work like the old warp or jump drives, it uses a specific command on the fleet window (it looks like an arrow going up then curving back down). That's pretty impressive on the leader ages, in my current game I'm reaching the part where a lot of my first generation leaders are dying off, which is a pain. Hopefully the one I've got on Gargantua holds out for long enough to complete the Infinity Machine event.

#14 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47879 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for that. It was bugging me why my shiny new drive wasn't working as advertised. It's a dangerous technology and the galaxy has pretty much shaken down into its final formation. I want end game events already, dangit!

And yeah, it's going to be...interesting...when my leaders do finally die. Like I said the race I started with is Venerable, but it's also a "safe harbor" Empire. I've got probably eight different races living in my empire (Not counting primitive species in my borders that have yet to be uplifted), one of which is now also a "unique" species since its empire got wiped out by Fanatical Purifiers and I decided to gene engineer the survivors to thrive on Tundra worlds - thus allowing me to colonize those planets in my borders.

My core world tech has been also substantially upgraded to the point I can directly control 14 planets and only recently had to create a Sector...which meant getting myself a Governor. None of my original race was a selection option. :D Meaning when my guys do start dropping off, the replacements aren't going to come with the same innate bonuses of my original race. I could reset rights across the empire, but that feels gamey. The empire's name is the "Accord of Affiliated Worlds", after all. Nothing says my guys have to be the ones in charge.

#15 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

Well hopefully you get some good xenos if nothing else.

The most annoying instance of "other races being in charge" I've ever had (which I hope got fixed) was when I was running an empire that had undergone Synthetic Evolution. I'd hired a scientist from a Curator Enclave but for some reason the synthetic rights set up for my empire was screwed up and the game considered the scientist as the only valid leader who could be elected for my empire. I had to "arrange" for a Fallen Empire to assassinate him, which was annoying.

#16 Apostrophe

Apostrophe
  • Citizen
  • 2545 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

Finally played a game past the first few years and got the worm event chain. I have accepted and love the gift of the worm.

#17 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47879 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

So I got the War in Heaven event chain. Things got awkward when only one other galactic power decided to join in two awakened Empires in their fight. The rest of us all ended up forming a giant Federation and the war has begun.

Your massive fleet strength and advanced technology mean nothing when you only hold four systems and the combined naval might of seven other galactic powers come screaming out of the night.

Edited by Rust, 18 March 2018 - 12:16 PM.

#18 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47879 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:31 AM

Well, Stellaris' newest expansion Megacorp dropped a bit ago, as did another massive update to the game.

I can safely say that at this point, Paradox lost me and my interest. I don't begrudge them trying to flesh a game out and make its systems more robust, but this is the second expansion in a row that has fundamentally altered the core game play. There's a difference between fleshing a game out and totally remaking it, and in remaking the game for Megacorp they managed to change it to such a degree that I can't be bothered to relearn things.

The principle complaint I'd have is the "enhanced" galactic economy. Yes, Stellaris had a really simple economic model that wasn't all that realistic or mattered much once you hit the mid-game. But the new economic system has too many balls in the air, especially at the start of a game. It's really easy to go into the red on something and be baffled as to why. I get that it's a contigency measure to prevent aggressive early blobbing, but for me it was a lot of unnecessary hurdles thrown up during a part of the game that is supposed to be about stretching your empire as far as it can go before you meet the neighbors.

The new UI changes are a non-issue, but speaking personally I hate it. I especially hate the fact if I end up going too far left on the screen it pulls up that obnoxiously large menu. Honestly don't see what the issue was with the old UI.

I feel disappointed, honestly. Stellaris was a game I really, really enjoyed and I hate to just walk away from it, but these latest updates just changed the game too drastically and sets a precedent for the future. I'm not interested in constantly having to relearn Stellaris. I'll gladly learn new systems, but continually changing the baseline experience is not something I can in good faith support. Stellaris is no longer the game I paid for.

#19 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:39 AM

The previous planetary system felt like you were in control, that you were making impactful decisions (whether you were or not is another matter entirely but whatever). It was a very "tactile" system and felt like you were developing something proactively.

The new system feels like you're just reacting rather than controlling. It's hard to get a handle on what's where, who is doing what, what you'll be needing in future. It feels more like you're a manager rather than a ruler (or courageous democratically elected blah blah blah or whatever). I've heard it makes the mid-game more interesting but it's so awkward that I haven't played a game long enough to reach the mid-game in 2.2.2, which rather undermines that supposed bonus. It's just straight up not a fun game mechanic to work with and you really don't get any kind of introduction or tutorial for it (well, not one worth spit), and given that it's a pretty fundamental part of the game it's stupid to leave it to players to try and feel out.

It figures the Megacorp expansion would be the one to suck the fun out of the game...

#20 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47879 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:11 AM

Yeah, I get the frustration in having to manually upgrade your planetary buildings in the old system, but being able to move pops around and knowing at a glance what a planet was geared for...it "felt" better than the district system.

Also really didn't need two more resources you have to juggle in addition to energy, minerals, and food.

Edited by Rust, 28 December 2018 - 07:46 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users