Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ZakuConvoy : (20 January 2019 - 07:42 PM)

His one shots and two or three parters are great. But...Dark Age got a little long in the tooth. Not bad, but not my favorite.

@  ZakuConvoy : (20 January 2019 - 07:40 PM)

For me, it's less the delay, and more that Astro City is always best in smaller chunks. The longer story arcs (which is what the OGNs sound like they're aiming for), while not bad, are far from the high points of the series.

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:52 AM)

The recent ongoing series didn't start until what, 2013?

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:51 AM)

Then was continued as a five-issue mini-series ("Local Heroes"), then came a 16-issue maxi-series ("The Dark Age"), plus a couple of standalone specials and two-parters...

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:50 AM)

It started out as a series, but due to Busiek's health problems (?), it was put on hold after six issues, then got relaunched with a new #1, had several delays (again because of Busiek's health issues), was discontinued after #22...

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:49 AM)

I don't get why people are making such a big deal out of Astro City becoming a series of graphic novels now. I mean, it's not like it's always been a steady ongoing series.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 08:19 PM)

I'm also only reading the trades. So I'm still missing... two volumes that are currently only available as hardcovers? Three?

@  Trpodeca : (17 January 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Astro City is great. Since I only read the trades, there probably won't be a big change for me.

@  ZakuConvoy : (17 January 2019 - 05:34 PM)

I have. Great series. Hopefully the transition to OGNs will be a smooth one.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 07:20 AM)

Anyone here reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City?

@  Verity Carlo : (16 January 2019 - 01:12 PM)

https://sites.google...ations---part-1awwwww shit

@  Benbot : (16 January 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Remember the Noid? He steals pizzas!

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:47 AM)

That said, the old "Nester" character from Nintendo Power IS owned by Nintendo, and I could see a homage in there

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:46 AM)

Because technically DiC created the character, Nintendo does not own him.

@  Paladin : (16 January 2019 - 10:28 AM)

sidebar- why is "Captain N" not in Smash yet? that seems like such an easy option.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2019 - 09:18 AM)

The 90's mario cartoons had exactly three character aspects to work with: fat, italian and plumber. He wasn't exactly wrenching pipes in every episode, so they had to do something...

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 January 2019 - 07:31 AM)

It's in another castle.

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:24 AM)

i HOpE sHe mADe LotSA SPAGHETTI

@  Locoman : (16 January 2019 - 06:17 AM)

Mario, wherever you are, HEEEEEEEELP!

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:07 AM)

That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario *wheeze*

@  Pennpenn : (16 January 2019 - 02:24 AM)

It's too hot here.

@  Echowarrior : (15 January 2019 - 11:03 PM)

I liked the Super Mario Brothers Super Show the best myself.

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 10:35 PM)

There's always the three Mario cartoons DiC made back in the 80s.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 09:48 PM)

So they could make a show that everyone would scream was an adventure time knockoff? I get what you're saying, but I can't see it being well received.

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

Photo
- - - - -

War for Cybertron: Siege discussion - Leader class Cybertron Optimus leaked, pg. 176

3683 replies to this topic

#41 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16569 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:23 AM

Not sure I like the concept of "different design direction" at all, since I'm rather happy with the Generations aesthetic and if it veers so far as to not look "right" together on the same shelf then my interest nosedives. I've got too big an "investment" in the current "look" toys to want to do all the same characters again in a new ethos.

Also, "bridge what different markets find desirable in a design" seems strange to me. Is there a market where some alternate aesthetic is way more popular than Generations? Size/price favored varies by market, but look? I suppose maybe that will mean more when we see them.

That said, weirdly maybe, I react much more positively to the idea that somehow these toys are different enough at a fundamental level that the 2 pack Deluxes literally Could Not be reused from the old lines. Like what the hell does that mean? Do all the new figures have some sort of gadget or gimmick that is an intrinsic part of them? Does it have something to do with their being 2-packs? Do they interact with each other somehow? Electronics seems doubtful financially, but... huh. I'm just really intreagued by what that could mean and that they're doing something THAT different as I kinda expected WFC to mostly be more of the same. Big change is at least something new.

-ZacWilliam, on the downside again if WFC figures are so inherently different from Prime Wars that no mold reuse is possible then probably no CW style Combiners? No Seacons or P.Monsters? :p

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 18 February 2018 - 04:25 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#42 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22079 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:27 AM

Maybe the new design direction is 'personality' and 'character design', that'd be a neat gimmick to have again.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#43 Chromedome113

Chromedome113
  • Citizen
  • 162 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:46 AM

Hopefully they pick characters from other continuities but midly G1ify, not too much that they lose anything cool about them but enough as to not stand out, like an Autoboot camp Bulkhead, or a Wasp, Cybertron Defense team? (Might be a bit redundant they're pretty blocky and classics was fairly Cybertron friendly) maybe the colonists from TAAO can be their, they've done Elita now throw in Strika and Airrazor, Slide maybe? Do a BattleClash and the other one with the Micromaster combiners?

#44 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 41789 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:54 AM

I have no idea how any of the infobites dropped actually come together...

But War Dawn style alt modes with less toy like design and meshing things different people like still says hovercar Bumblebee but now with the hard elbow jab that Aileron would be his repaint.

Edited by NightViper, 18 February 2018 - 05:54 AM.

#45 unluckiness

unluckiness

WARGARBARBL

• Citizen
  • 17859 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:58 AM

Thank god. One line that looks like POTP is enough thank you.

pDHhVB1.jpg

#46 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Pinky to pinky~

• Citizen
  • 3603 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:01 AM

"'gritty' [ugh] realism"

Everyone will be in varying shades of gray, brown and dull green because this is a war and in war there is no color or personality or individualism. :wtf

...Then again I'm one to talk, as I'd actually like to see them finally make mass-release Deluxe Autotroopers in this next line. :p

#47 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3020 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:04 AM

If we are going to have any G1 characters I want to see the Pretender characters used and not have their design be based on their shell.

#48 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9298 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:05 AM

The "bridging the gap between the aesthetics that different areas of the world enjoy" thing 100% sounds to me like "looks more movie-ish". Asian markets have generally been very into the movies/movie aesthetic, right?

#49 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10715 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:11 AM

I have no idea how any of the infobites dropped actually come together...

But War Dawn style alt modes with less toy like design and meshing things different people like still says hovercar Bumblebee but now with the hard elbow jab that Aileron would be his repaint.

oh my god please

unknown.png

#50 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22079 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:19 AM

The "bridging the gap between the aesthetics that different areas of the world enjoy" thing 100% sounds to me like "looks more movie-ish". Asian markets have generally been very into the movies/movie aesthetic, right?

.....Don't get my hopes up.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#51 Chip

Chip

Machine Saurer, my strength / Only you can understand my heart.

• Citizen
  • 7735 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:26 AM

I could be into movie-y tetrajets. We've seen some bad attempts at jamming together movie and G1 design elements, but I like the movie designs far more than the movies they're in so I'm always up to see another attempt.

Since it's a prequel, I expect this will function as a prequel to basically whatever universe you like; actual movie, unspecified G1, whatever. Like how Beast Wars followed whatever G1 you wanted so long as you didn't over think it.

#52 MidnightFox

MidnightFox

Lunar Rabbit

• Citizen
  • 1300 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:36 AM

"'gritty' [ugh] realism"

Everyone will be in varying shades of gray, brown and dull green because this is a war and in war there is no color or personality or individualism. :wtf

...Then again I'm one to talk, as I'd actually like to see them finally make mass-release Deluxe Autotroopers in this next line. :p

I'd love for them to do mass retail generics again...

#53 Chromedome113

Chromedome113
  • Citizen
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:33 AM

Has anything been said that it will be a prequel? Other than the IDW reboot being the biggest clue that it's back to basics? Because I am really sold on this being the "all the weird colonists that don't have Earth alt-mode toyline and some G1 losers".

#54 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 41789 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:40 AM

Has anything been said that it will be a prequel? Other than the IDW reboot being the biggest clue that it's back to basics? Because I am really sold on this being the "all the weird colonists that don't have Earth alt-mode toyline and some G1 losers".

https://twitter.com/...946139031228417

"Want to tell the story of the war on Cybertron before they came to Earth. NOT based on the video games. #HasbroToyFair #NYTF #Transformers"

#55 Donocropolis

Donocropolis

Broom broom!

• Citizen
  • 3027 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:36 AM

I'm hoping that we get some Cybertronian-mode-only characters like a proper Impactor (I barely know Tor) and Rack'n'Ruin.

#56 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 41789 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

Impactor is one of the choices for the WFC Fan Vote. Stuff that ballot box if you want one!

#57 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2679 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

Having thought about this line, I think its the desginers of the toys wanted an excuse to let loose a bit and desgin some figures with alt modes that do not conform to Earth standard vehicles, so they could desgin something a bit more far out there, plus they would not have the limitation of basing the desgins on video game models or movie desgins, in other words they got some shackles taken off, then again it could be, when the cat away, the mice will play!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#58 DirtyByrd

DirtyByrd
  • Citizen
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

So hopefully we will get the Dynobots Cybertronian alt modes. I love the dino modes but to see them in their big artillery designed modes from the books would be cool. If they ever did it, I would assume it would be toward the end of the next trilogy though. It definitely seems like Omega Supreme would make a great candidate for the next Titan. Can't wait to see those Tetra Jet designs.

#59 DirtyByrd

DirtyByrd
  • Citizen
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:16 AM

It also seems like a great time to give us Devcon, Dion, Impactor and Ariel, since they are already talking about Alpha Trion.

#60 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 7464 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

I'm just hoping for decent alternate modes and not the usual "hey this robot is doing yoga, it's 'cybertronian'".  And no visible heads.

Reply to this topic

7 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 1 anonymous users