Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Patch : (21 September 2019 - 03:02 PM)

Really? Worst alt-mode ever.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2019 - 02:09 PM)

To ashes we transform.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:14 AM)

They aren't all cranky... sure, it's hard to find one in a good mood, but still.

@  unluckiness : (21 September 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Cranky geese is a hell of a tautology

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:07 AM)

... that's like the third flock of geese this morning. Do those cranky bitches know something I should know?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 September 2019 - 06:26 AM)

Isn't there a thread for that?

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

I took a few hours off from work so I could attend. Actually met two coworkers there.

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

Anyone else here who participated in a climate change rally yesterday?

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

In case anyone's wondering.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Also, she pronounces her own name "Zuh-see".

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I think I'd read a while back she was born in Berlin

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I thought Zazie Beetz was really fantastic in Deadpool 2. Really looking forward to seeing her in Joker.

@  Liege : (20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM)

Any sightings of Ratchet at U.S. Walgreens yet? A couple of stores around me have recently restocked their toy aisles but no Ratchets yet at those ones.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:54 AM)

You don't even hear a hint of an accent, and she only very rarely chooses some odd wording where she probably wasn't familiar with the more appropriate alternative due to its relative obscurity.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:41 AM)

Just watched what's possibly the most relaxed interview ever of a German Youtuber interviewing Zazie while walking around Berlin. Turns out she was born in Berlin and spent quite some time in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:39 AM)

Actors and actresses I had no idea speak fluent German, part 4.231: Zazie Beetz from Deadpool 2.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

Photo
- - - - -

War for Cybertron: Siege discussion - 35th Anniv. Bluestreak & Soundblaster, pg. 338

8034 replies to this topic

#7761 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6173 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

I'm fairly sure the one and only time I ever went to a Service Merchandise was to get OpOp.

ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#7762 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28539 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:21 AM

I'm fairly sure the one and only time I ever went to a Service Merchandise was to get OpOp.

OpOp was a Toys'R'Us find for me.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#7763 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9167 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:06 AM

I ordered a G2 Optimus from Service Merchandise in 96 or 97, when I first started collecting TFs as an "adult."  They had some left over in a warehouse.

#7764 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12593 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

Not sure if I ever bought from Service Merchandise, but I do remember seeing Pretender Monsters and Micromaster Combiners there once upon a time.

#7765 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5280 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:03 PM

Service Merchandise--now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.  A long time...

Edited by Benbot, 23 August 2019 - 12:06 PM.

#7766 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1693 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:43 PM

Our Service Merchandise held out till the end of the chain, but we stopped shopping there long before then. I do remember shopping there when I was a kid, but can't remember anything specific we bought there.

#7767 Jackpot

Jackpot

Neo-maxi zoom dweebie

• Citizen
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

who here is older than dirt and remembers stores like Service Merchandise, BEST, or LaBelle's?

Of those, I've only heard of BEST (or, I guess, BEST), which was my go-to for TFs in the mid-'80s. That's where I saw the glorious wall of Soundwaves I mentioned in another post (though I think it was still a Jafco at the time), and it may be the only place I ever saw the Kronoform dudes. It was definitely the first place I encountered the '86 toys; I distinctly remember the awe I felt looking at Ultra Magnus and Galvatron and the Autobot cassettes and Wheelie and Metroplex and I don't even remember who else. Sky Lynx too, I think? I hadn't seen the movie, and I don't think the new season of the cartoon had come on yet, so outside of maybe a few commercials I might've caught, it was all a huge surprise.

The TFs were right next to the Robotech toys; I recall being sorely tempted by an SDF-1 there too.

Okay, thank you for listening.

buy art: MattDrawsRobots.com

follow: Facebook  Tumblr • Instagram • DeviantArt

#7768 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10442 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:05 PM

OpOp was a Toys'R'Us find for me.

I saw him at a Meijer first, if memory serves.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#7769 RichardT1977

RichardT1977
  • Citizen
  • 689 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:50 PM

I've been in a Best toy department twice in my lifetime. The first time was in, like, '81, so there were no Transformers. The second time must have been in '84 or '85, because I remember seeing the Decepticon cassettes (though I don't remember which ones).

Their Christmas catalog for that year definitely lived up to the store's name, though.

#7770 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 9322 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:01 PM

I didn't even know Best Buy existed in the 1980s.  Probably because we had The Wiz.

Then again we also didn't really get Walmart on Long Island until the mid to late 90s either.

Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#7771 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1248 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:24 PM

Service Merchandise...  I think it was the first place I saw G2 Transformers, but it is definitely the first place I saw Beast Wars.  I remember getting Iquanus as my first figure, then the next week getting the Optimus Primal Vs Megatron 2-pack.

Also, had to get a raincheck for the Batmissle Batmobile from Batman Returns, as they never got any in, and was in an ad.  I believe they ordered it for us, and I still have it, still my favorite Batmbobile design.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#7772 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2241 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

Beast Wars showed up around here at Kmart first.  My first BW toy was Terrorsaur, and Rattrap soon after.

While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#7773 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51944 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:43 AM

I bought a Tarantulas at Hills for a school project.

card-strongarm.jpg

#7774 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17210 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:46 AM

I'm surprised honestly by all the Beast Wars at Service Merchandise comments. Here in central CT it was definitely an early 80s phenomenon. I didn't keep track exactly but I have to imagine the one we had was dead and gone by G2 at the absolute latest.

I first found BW somewhere on the trip Between CT and Virginia pretty early. I remember getting the Tomart Toy magazine where I first saw them all only like the week before and I expected them to be months away and then we stopped at a Kmart or Walmart during the trip and boom, there were all the Wave 1 BW Deluxes.

-Zacwilliam, Trying to remember what I bought. I think it was Waspinator and Cheetor.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#7775 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 17538 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

My creaky old mind is correct.

• tec likes this

#7776 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19122 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

Wow two things: a) I'll bet Forbes wishes he picked up that Inferno now (though I see his Ebay prices have cooled a bit). And 2) Did those people go on to found TFW? Because that's how that exchange reads.

I didn't keep track exactly but I have to imagine the one we had was dead and gone by G2 at the absolute latest.

They had locations into the 2000's. The one that was up the road from me closed in '02 though I seem to remember at that point it was mostly empty save for watches/jewelry and some small appliances.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#7777 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65631 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:09 AM

You can see Astrotrain combines with his caboose in these photos. He gets some slippers and a big gun.
https://www.bigbadto...onDetails/97549
https://www.bigbadto...onDetails/97560
https://www.bigbadto...onDetails/97564

ACItEK8.png

#7778 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19122 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

I would've rather those panels could snap over his hollow legs or cover the back half of his shuttle mode. Not sure why he needed lifts.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#7779 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 17538 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

Did those people go on to found TFW? Because that's how that exchange reads.

I don't know precisely when you came in, but within the existing fandom, that was how everyone was for at least a year of BW. A huge chunk of the early BW fandom were newcomers.

Edited by LV!, 24 August 2019 - 11:27 AM.

#7780 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51944 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:57 AM

It is just too bad that Kenner does not have a clue how to revive the TF line

This quote has aged well.

card-strongarm.jpg

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic