Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Red Dwarf of Transformers? An interesting, innovative and genuinely funny series that descended into a self referential mess of cliches that continues long after it should have been put out to pasture and rendered nerly everyone thoroughly unlikeable? That seems about right.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 01:59 PM)

MTMTE and Lost Light are the Red Dwarf of Transformers stories, as opposed to the others which are more like Star Wars and Star Trek.

@  Kalidor : (17 September 2020 - 01:37 PM)

Anyone in CONUS want a Skylynx for $100 shipped?

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 September 2020 - 01:34 PM)

Maybe an acquired taste in that's in that it's from a fan raised on the UK run where Transformers wasn't taken so seriously in many stories, especially some Earthforce standalones.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2020 - 09:47 AM)

so, terrible?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Yeah I think at that point Lost Light is just the '86 movie without the soundtrack.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 September 2020 - 02:28 AM)

So, exctly what Triangleman just said.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 12:36 AM)

A few of the same characters.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 12:07 AM)

Now having actually read Galaxies #10, I don't actually see what it has in common with Lost Light at all besides featuring Ultra Magnus, Chromedome, and a spaceship.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 05:33 PM)

So, it's exactly like Lost Light, then.

@  Bass X0 : (16 September 2020 - 01:52 PM)

What if Lost Light was stripped bare of its charm and humor? Galaxies #10 is the answer.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 01:49 PM)

I didn't mean "*exactly* 15 years ago and no other time."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 September 2020 - 12:27 AM)

I mean, the comment was about a linewide gimmick of 15 years ago, not a gimmick only present in a minority of toys from that year.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 September 2020 - 12:14 AM)

I'd like a western take on the UT for it's twentieth, like a annual CG or anime movie on Netflix that is a condensed retelling similar to the film Macross/Robotech: Do You Remember Love.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 September 2020 - 12:11 AM)

Giant Planet had them, Energon had a few. I've been disappointed in Siege for not having something for the Micromasters, Earthrise has with the base bots but they've been wasted here.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (15 September 2020 - 10:47 PM)

Wasn't 15 years ago Cyber Keys rather than Minicons?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 September 2020 - 09:38 PM)

By and large, even the worst Minicons have some unique engineering or design elements. The nostalgia factor aside, Micromasters got pretty samey after you got several, especially the "proper" 89 series.

@  unluckiness : (15 September 2020 - 07:13 PM)

There's certainly a load of crummy ones to sift through

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2020 - 05:29 PM)

Or both. There's some overlap.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 September 2020 - 03:19 PM)

People either hated minicons or became completely addicted to them.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 September 2020 - 03:17 PM)

A properly-planned theme, or as people called it 15 years ago, a stupid linewide baby toy gimmick that ruins the toys.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 September 2020 - 01:39 PM)

Look on the bright side: at least Kingdom has a properly-planned theme to its name unlike Power of the Primes being a hilariously transparent junk drawer for the PWT, and with letdown Prime toys to boot.

@  -LittleAutob... : (15 September 2020 - 01:33 PM)

Oh that makes sense-

@  wonko the sane? : (15 September 2020 - 01:32 PM)

To renew their copyrights on all their names, characters and series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (15 September 2020 - 01:32 PM)

Strange.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 September 2020 - 01:08 PM)

War for Cybertron trilogy is a strange thing, from pre Earth to Earth to Beast Wars.
What was their plan again?

@  Bass X0 : (15 September 2020 - 12:40 PM)

Fall! FALL!! I would have waited an eternity for this; it’s Autumn, Prime...

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 September 2020 - 11:22 AM)

Wow...harsh truths!

@  Trpodeca : (15 September 2020 - 07:29 AM)

Saw Age of Extinction. Not Rise of Skywalker 10/10

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2020 - 05:14 PM)

So not a murderer, just a cheapass. Wanted the whole kit for the value of the batteries.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2020 - 01:41 PM)

You can't force other people to sell; ao despite abundance the prices are high. I'm just a small scale hobbyist, I'm not looking to cash in just help other folks with their... uh, passion.

@  Rycochet : (13 September 2020 - 01:28 PM)

It's like diamonds, artificial rarity boosting the price,

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2020 - 01:25 PM)

I call bull carp on that. There's a HUGE secondary market, and gently used pieces go for tens of thousands.

@  Rycochet : (13 September 2020 - 01:24 PM)

They lose a lot of their value when not mint in sealed body.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2020 - 01:04 PM)

I could probably stand to part with 2 or 3 of them. I've been collecting them for years anyway.

@  Rycochet : (13 September 2020 - 11:45 AM)

Coming soon to kijiji, wonko's kidney.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2020 - 11:37 AM)

I threw a bunch of lawn and garden tools up on kijiji, today someone messaged me and said they wanted them all. They haven't even tried to haggle or anything. I suspect I'm about to be robbed or otherwise ripped off.

@  Classic Cybe... : (11 September 2020 - 11:03 AM)

Proud dad moment: my 6 year old daughter telling her 3 yr old brother that Prime is the leader because he has the matrix, but Hot Rod gets it next.

@  Paladin : (11 September 2020 - 10:50 AM)

and not just the cthulhu episode....

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 September 2020 - 07:04 AM)

The Real Ghostbusters is better then I remember it, sometimes genuinely creepy.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 September 2020 - 02:18 PM)

Years later Geewunners went "Trukk not munky!"

@  -LittleAutob... : (10 September 2020 - 12:17 PM)

We are wimpz

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2020 - 10:12 AM)

Thats ork talk...

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 September 2020 - 08:19 AM)

Now go look for "HUMANZ R WIMPZ".

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 September 2020 - 06:46 AM)

And just when Runabout was unveiled. COINCIDENCE? Hey I have a ad campiagn for them! Nowhere is sacred!

@  Bass X0 : (09 September 2020 - 05:17 PM)

so there is graffiti near work which says "F*** THE MATRIX!" and "FTBR". If I did graffiti myself (I don't), I'd change it to FIBRIR.

@  -LittleAutob... : (09 September 2020 - 02:04 PM)

Yessssss

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

Actually we could easily get the CW constructicons and TR Galvatron in Studio Series like Cogman. I still hope Kingdom Galvatron is him with COMBAT support either as Megatron in Galvatron armor or Energon Galvatron who is G1 Galvatron with detachable wings and particle cannons.

Photo
- - - - -

Transformers: Cyberverse 2018 Toyline Discussion

1689 replies to this topic

#1641 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30984 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:01 PM

Actually found One Step Whirl for the first time at Walmart today. He's small and simple but I think he's got a lot of personality and seems pretty fun.

His name lies. He is actually "Five Step Whirl" to both vehicle and back to robot mode. I wonder if he might be a hair fragile with his spring gimmick for an actual little child, but otherwise like him.

Does he have any articulation in robot mode, or is he a brick like most other One-Steps?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#1642 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1932 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:39 PM

Just the shoulders, pretty much.

#1643 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18122 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:03 PM

Shoulders rotate. They are also on spring loaded bits from the transformation so you can flex them back or a small bit forward but they don't stay there. His claw hand opens and closes. His ankles can tilt back also from the transformation but not forward from neutral.

-ZacWilliam, he's a solid G1 level of articulation, but he's a cool enough thin little guy that I can't say I mind.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#1644 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27517 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:51 AM

Entertainment Earth has now moved Thunderhowl to "Archive" status, meaning "we don't expect any of these again ever," which is a little worrisome considering I still have one on order with them.

Not that I'm sure, at this point, that I would have received him within a century anyway, since Pitney Bowes seems to be collecting packages.

#1645 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18122 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:03 PM

Energon Armor Thunderhowl is In Stock on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...ob_b_prod_image

-ZacWilliam, next day delivery for me.

#1646 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18122 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:00 AM

He came early.

Thoughts:

OK robot mode but the robot crotch sides where the legs attatch do not seem to lock in place and tend to move out of alignment in an annoying way. Otherwise decent. Love the cape and sword with scabbard.

The wolf mode is not very good. Like I probably own 4 or 5 TFing wolves and scores of quadruped animals and this might be the least convincing. There's nothing egregious except really the body proportions and shape just read way too much like a human pretending to wolf. atleast the crotch pieces lock solidly into place here.

-ZacWilliam, I love the Thunderhowl episode of the show and the ancient knight theme, I hope the other figure with the Maccadam parts is cooler.

Edit: Played around with the bot mode a little more. It's probably better than I was giving it credit for above. While I wish the crotch pieces locked in place, once you know they don't it's not too hard to avoid dislodging them. I compared him to the character concept art and he's very on target. If his plastic was only jet black instead of a dark green that looks blackish in bad light he'd be pretty perfect likeness wise.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 02 August 2020 - 12:57 PM.

#1647 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9361 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:18 PM

Wondering but the only Cyberverse Cheetor toy is the boat battle armor? If it is, that's so unfair, considering he's such a pivotal character.

Also, which is the best Skybyte, Wheeljack and Grimlock toys from Cyberverse? They have several versions each, right?

(I got the small Grimlock that barely transformed, that weird half dino thing, and I didn't buy any other Cyberverse you since.)

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#1648 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18122 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:52 PM

I have not bought a lot of Cyberverse but here are the Cyberverse toys I've had and thoughts on the quality:

1) Deluxe Windblade from year 1 - Well designed but with very thin, very light and very fragile feeling plastic. It's designed as good as any modern TF toy but holding it feels like holding a KO.

2) Deluxe Acidstorm year 1 - Felt slightly more substantial than Windblade but still "lighter/cheaper" than a usual TF. Gimmick did not get in the way but also did not work very well (spring was so tight it spun so fast and for such a short burst the human eye couldn't actually see the blades in the wings come out)

- Years Pass -

- I consider buying Target exclusive Deluxe Slipstream but never quite get around to it. -

3) Ultra Alpha Trion- Very little poseability just a small bit in the arms, but he is solid and the robot mode actually looks the most like G1 Cartoon Alpha Trion of any toy ever, so he works fine for standing by Orion and the Female Autobots on my shelf.

4) Ultra Clobber - She's a wonderful character in the show so I had to get her. Decent size. Good robot mode likeness. Her transformation is a bit counter-intuitive and awkward and her plastic feels a hair thinner and lighter than I'd like. Not as badly as the first Cyberverse toys though. Happy having her in bot mode. Love having her posed with the other ladies on my shelf.

5) Ultra Rack'n'Ruin. Cool. Simple. May never transform him again, but don't care. Not much else to say really, just still jazzed to have a toy of him in any form.

6) Hammerbyte season 3 - Awesome. Great in both modes, poseable, fun gimmick, feels solid and like a TF basic we could have gotten in the Armada through RiD2 era. Kind of my new platonic ideal of a transformer for kids. He's really pretty perfect.

7) 1-step Whirl - Is actually 5-Step Whirl but is a fun little toy. Solid, cute, doesn't feel fragile despite his size and thinness. If you don't mind shoulders being the only articulation (I don't, grew up on G1) he is pretty cool

8) 1-step Repugnus (and Repugnus revenge multipack later) - Neat. An ACTUAL one step transformation. And kind of a cool magic trick of one too. Ball-Joint shoulders and elbows. I recommend him just for the cute little monster mode.

9) Deluxe Arcee with Maccadam parts - Super pretty colors. Nice robot sculpt. Cute car mode. My daughter fell in love with her instantly. Backpack is big, but feels more natural and aesthetically pleasing than the WFC fig. She's the Arcee toy I'd recommend before any other ever made.

10) Ultra Thunderhowl - reviewed him above. On the whole he's got a couple nitpicky bits but he FEELS 100% like a regular modern deluxe figure and a fun one. So yay on that. I recommend him as probably the best toy in his Size Class Cyberverse has done.

-ZacWilliam, I had forgotten about a third of those when I started typing or I might not have started, but oh well. Other than the first 2 I'm pretty happy with the CV toys I own and the last handful have been as pleasing as anything in Generations and with a modicum more creativity and fun on the whole.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 02 August 2020 - 01:58 PM.

#1649 haywire

haywire

Secretly a Gobot in Disguse, don't tell anyone! :)

• Citizen
  • 1254 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:12 PM

Also, which is the best Skybyte, Wheeljack and Grimlock toys from Cyberverse? They have several versions each, right?

I have the armor Skybyte and the 1-step. The armor one is a great toy if you can find it, the armor gimmick doesnt interfere with the top quality of the base toy. The one-step is not bad, but jams up sometimes during transformation.

I would agree that Hammerbyte, Clobber, and RackNRuin are all fun, good figures. I also would mildly recommend the little Ramjet. I have the little Windblade, the robot mode is one of my favorite versions of her, but the half-transformation because of the gimmick really sours me on that one, and the less I say about little Slipstream, the better.

Edited by haywire, 02 August 2020 - 07:13 PM.

#1650 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9361 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:06 PM

I have the armor Skybyte and the 1-step. The armor one is a great toy if you can find it, the armor gimmick doesnt interfere with the top quality of the base toy. The one-step is not bad, but jams up sometimes during transformation.

I would agree that Hammerbyte, Clobber, and RackNRuin are all fun, good figures. I also would mildly recommend the little Ramjet. I have the little Windblade, the robot mode is one of my favorite versions of her, but the half-transformation because of the gimmick really sours me on that one, and the less I say about little Slipstream, the better.

Ah, good to know the armor Skybyte is decent. I'll look for him then, thanks.

There isn't a 'deluxe' Wheeljack around?

My friend is getting a Clobber based on the strength of her character alone, since he loved her in the show. Me, I'm tempted because she looks like Lugnut. Just slightly weird that she turned into a hovertank instead of a flying vehicle.

(I recall she didn't transform at all in s2 so, I dunno, maybe they didn't give her an alt mode until s3 then decided to landlock her so she can be better pals with Hot Rod? Also to give Whirl the solo aerial support during their escapades.

(Actually, seeing a video of Whirl's toy makes me want to get him too, since I figure he's cheaper anyway. Plus, great character! Beware elevators, haha)

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#1651 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 13580 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:50 AM

https://www.target.c...ee/-/A-79503057

GUEST_65da50ef-1f79-48db-ba0e-627b91049162.jpg  GUEST_e31b801a-3811-4edf-86d8-b7f2a53780e4.jpg  GUEST_f973b225-770f-4259-a959-55513b21caab.jpg  GUEST_430c3b25-bf6e-4907-a9cd-daa401cb9292.jpg

aR2oX8u.jpg
Big thanks to my dad for playing along with this visual recreation.

#1652 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13580 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:38 AM

More photos of Iaconus.

https://www.target.c...us/-/A-79535402

GUEST_cd1c3d8b-545b-459c-8b18-507b3c2bb6a8.jpg GUEST_308e65f9-260c-42ce-9ebc-1f1f14651353.jpg GUEST_2d4c1ed4-eb33-4116-b40f-69e9d6f8b8ac.jpg  GUEST_5d8fca06-9ce0-453e-aaca-a08f595efd43.jpg  GUEST_9fc75041-71c7-468e-b9bd-296caa13bbac.jpg

aR2oX8u.jpg

#1653 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30984 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:29 AM

They keep showing only the back end of the ship mode with the rocket boosters.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#1654 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18122 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 09:46 AM

Picked up Deluxe Megatron today. Only because 1) He was clearanced for 50% off at Walmart and 2) He came with Maccadam's upper torso and I have the Shoulders that attatch to it from Deluxe Arcee.

I absolutely did not ever plan to get this toy as I try to only collect a new figure of a Character I already have a toy of if it significantly improves upon the one I got.

I won't say this one does that, but I will say, having bought it the toy impresses me more than I expected. It's a very solid, well done small Megatron. Looks good. Very poseable. Clicks together solid in both modes. No notable flaws. If a kid wanted a good Megatron toy at a price his parents would go for I could 100% recommend this guy.

-ZacWilliam, the problem is I now have 2 components of Maccadam and I plan to get Thunderhowl who makes 3... and if I already have 3 of the pieces... I'm leaning perilously close to "Collect them all" when I really only wanted 2.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 08 August 2020 - 09:46 AM.

#1655 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13580 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:25 PM

Iaconus has been found at Meijer in Normal, Illinois.

https://www.tfw2005....6#post-18183372

3C94449D-6B5B-464C-BE0F-72A912DC2B01.jpeg

aR2oX8u.jpg

#1656 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27517 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:30 PM

Entertainment Earth has now moved Thunderhowl to "Archive" status, meaning "we don't expect any of these again ever," which is a little worrisome considering I still have one on order with them.

Not that I'm sure, at this point, that I would have received him within a century anyway, since Pitney Bowes seems to be collecting packages.

Update: he's been canceled, apparently.  Time to see if anyone else still has him available.

#1657 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19816 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM

They keep showing only the back end of the ship mode with the rocket boosters.

I hate to break it to you but... the other end must look worse.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1658 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27517 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:34 PM

I mean... I would assume the other end looks like his legs pressed together.

#1659 Blacknife

Blacknife

Never heard of it; never will

• Citizen
  • 5935 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:35 PM

I mean, they couldn't even bother with a Metroplex like transformation for Iaconus... It will still allow for the upper torso to have the Energon armor effect....

#1660 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30984 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:00 PM

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users