Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

Photo

Oh Kansas....why you so weird?

Politics Kids GOP Democrats

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ironbite

Ironbite

TIME JUDGED ALL!

• Supporter
  • 29937 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

So I'm getting ready for work, reading random stories from around the nation when I happened upon some peculiar happenings in the Kansas Governor's race.  Something that made me stop and go "Wait seriously?"

Kansas apparently has no minimum age to run for public office.  And if I hadn't read it I wouldn't have believed it.  Now they're trying to fix things.

There are a lot of requirements if you want to vote in Kansas. You must be 18 years old. You need to show a photo ID at your polling place and show proof of U.S. citizenship when you register to vote. The U.S. Commission on Civil Rights says the state's voter ID laws are among the strictest in the nation.

But when it comes to the rules about who can run for state office? There are no rules.

"Under Kansas law, there is no law governing the qualifications for governor, not one," Bryan Caskey, director of elections at the Kansas secretary of state's office, told The Kansas City Star last year. "So there's seriously nothing on the books that lays out anything, no age, no residency, no experience. Nothing."

So into the race jumped Jack Bergeson. Calling himself an anti-establishment candidate, 17-year-old Bergeson is pursuing the Democratic nomination, advocating for a $12 minimum wage, legalization of medical marijuana, and high-speed rail for major cities in the region.

"I thought, you know, let's give the people of Kansas a chance," Bergeson told the Star in August. "Let's try something new that has never really been tried anywhere else before."

Three more teen boys, running as Republicans, soon entered the governor's race – so many that they had their own candidates' forum in a high school gym in Lawrence.

"This needs to be a government that represents everyone, not just 30 years old up," said 17-year-old candidate Dominic Scavuzzo.

Two more teen boys threw hats in the ring, spurring Kansas lawmakers to try to put a stop to such youthful exuberance. Republican Rep. Blake Carpenter introduced a bill requiring candidates to be at least 18 years old to run for the state's top elected offices, such as governor, secretary of state or attorney general. And candidates for governor and lieutenant governor would have to have lived in the state for four years.

"We have age requirements on voters, and I really think that anybody who's running should be able to vote for themselves," Rep. Keith Esau, a Republican running for secretary of state, told The Topeka Capital-Journal.

The Star reports that the bill passed out of House committee on Monday.

"I don't think it's a good thing," Bergeson, now 17, told the Star. "I'm not a fan of it. I think it's a reactionary bill. I think it's trying to disenfranchise candidates."

The law wouldn't take effect until after the November elections. And that's important, said Caskey at the secretary of state's office.

"The secretary of state does not want there to be any appearance of a conflict of interest concerning persons who are currently candidates and do not meet these proposed requirements," he told the Capital-Journal.

He's referring to Secretary of State Kris Kobach, the force behind the state's strict voter ID law, who is running for governor. Kobach was also co-chair of President Trump's controversial voting commission, which was dissolved last month.

But the anything-goes system that has been so appealing to Kansas teenagers has been less appealing to one group: women.

State Sen. Laura Kelly, a Democrat, became the first woman to enter the crowded fieldfor governor in December. Meanwhile, more than 20 men or boys have declared their candidacy.

The state's lack of rules for candidacy are so profound that Caskey could not even find a rule limiting the field to human candidates.

"[A] dog has never tried to file," he told the Star last year. "I don't know what would happen if one tried to."

Now.  I'm all for kids getting involved in politics.  To many times we've seen how the youth vote has swayed things.  But this?  This is absurd.  And the fact that in it's entire history as a public entity, there is no minimum age to run for public office in Kansas is ridiculous.  That should've been one of the first things written in it's constitution.

Ironbite-right next to "Scott Walker isn't allowed within 500 miles of the Governor's Mansion".

xC9l3eY.gif

#2 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35322 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:26 PM

I don't know Ironbite, reading his platform 17 year old Jack Ferguson would make a far better Governor than whichever monster comes out on the GOP side. I'd vote for him.

#3 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11467 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

If you arent old enough to vote for yourself, you shouldnt be able to hold office.

Though, isnt there a town in Alaska, that has a cat as the mayor?

#4 Ironbite

Ironbite

TIME JUDGED ALL!

• Supporter
  • 29937 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

Dog I think.  You might be thinking of the trainstation who's master is a cat.

Ironbite-but that's Japan and they're a little weird.

xC9l3eY.gif

#5 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 14213 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:30 PM

Unlike the current state politicians, the teenagers are actually LESS likely to have Kochs in their mouths. 

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#6 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11467 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

Nah it was Alaska. It was just a ceremonial position though as the town had no actual mayor..

https://en.m.wikiped...ki/Stubbs_(cat)

#7 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 18534 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

Kansas is being written by my current favorite political writer.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#8 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14693 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

I have no problem with teens running for office.  As said, how could they do worse than the Koch choking bastards currently in charge?  

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#9 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 37428 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

I'm all for this, not just for the lack of Koch's but also the injection of really fresh blood with more modern ideas into any goverment is going to be a good thing imo.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#10 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44836 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

I'm all for this, not just for the lack of Koch's but also the injection of really fresh blood with more modern ideas into any goverment is going to be a good thing imo.

All the young blood and fresh ideas in the world don't mean dick if the bureaucrats around them are owned by the folks who want status quo. If the system won't work for you, you can't get any work done.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics, Kids, GOP, Democrats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users