Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM)

Oof-

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

Photo

Monster Hunter World: get this game*

49 replies to this topic

#1 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:19 AM

*but hang on to your receipt, you know, just in case you don't like it.

So I've sunk like a few days into this game now and it's just one of the most viscerally rewarding gameplay loops I've ever played? My only experience with the franchise had been the old portable titles and that was very "wonky controls and enemies with way too much HP", so I had a lot of misgivings going in. But wow, okay, they've made this franchise amazing.

The premise is you're a monster hunter (it's in the title) and you're part of a research crew traveling across the ocean to a new continent where powerful monsters migrate, in order to figure out more about the dangerous species and how to deal with them. What this entails is you make a character, set out into a bunch of huge, multi-layered, incredibly lively and beautiful zones thick with endemic animal and plant life, and you hunt down the giant monsters and either kill or capture them. There's a ton of exploration, crafting of materials, the combat system is surprisingly clever and complex with fourteen weapon types, all stats come from gear and food bonuses, and the actual fights are intense and unique.

So here's an example of gameplay flow- there's a monster called a Barroth who lives in the wastes. You go there, and meet some local cat-people tribes (they're like little two-legged kittens and you get your own and they're customizable!) and they say they'll set up a trap in an area. You find Barroth and get its attention by attacking it, eventually driving it towards the canyon where the ambush is, then you quickly use a grappling hook to climb up onto a rise, lure it closer with some slingshot bombs, then vault onto the Barroth's back and start hacking into it. The confused Barroth is driven closer to the ambush site, bucking and weaving while you hold on, then your buddies spring their trap and bring it down, allowing you to deal some heavy attacks to its underside and knock off the hardened mud that coats its hide. The Barroth recovers and flees to an oasis, you follow. However, when it arrives, another monster, the fishlike Jagratodus, sees the encroaching Barroth as a threat and just straight-up charges at it, flipping and knocking the beast to the ground and scaring it away. See, Barroth is a real animal, not just a videogame boss, it wants to live. You pursue it to the open dunes and Barroth starts shaking off big globs of excess mud it picked up in the oasis at you to slow you down. You dodge and manage to knock it over with some heavy blows but suddenly...the ground beneath you collapses! you were fighting ontop of a sinkhole, and you both plummet down into a subterranean cavern.... You hit the ground rolling, but Barroth took it harder. The beast limps away and you have a choice- you can use a trap and some sleeping pellets to capture it, which nets research points and some materials...or kill it and get even more.

Of course, most of the game's quests do specify hunting, not catching- the monsters are far too powerful and dangerous in the game world, so if you're not a fan of that, this game probably isn't for you. That said, hunting down the monsters is utterly thrilling, and the coolest part is that depending on what parts you damage in the battle you can increase the odds of rare material drops. Hell, even if you fail to kill a monster, you can at least claim materials from a cut-off tail or a broken scale fragment. The monsters themselves feel really respected and fearsome though in like a, tribal sense? They're these respendant beasts with tons of hidden abilities and the humans treat them very heavily. The game is very "this is what hunting is", it doesn't feel like videogame-y at all. Well, it does, but not like -that-.

Also I want to say the environments are kind of amazing too. The first area, Ancient Forest, is a coastline, deep forest, then a massive hollowed out tree plus caves beneath it, you can climb all the way up to where the great wyvern Rathalos nests and fall all the way down to the bottom. Then there's the waste, and just recently I've discovered the Coral Highlands which are...well, you kind of get the idea from the name? Also the game has co-op with up to four players!

So yeah, this is super fun and addictive and just doing material runs is great fun. It's on PS4 and Xbox and will be hitting PC later this year. You wanna prove you're a gutsy gamer? This game lets you.

But again, it's really about hunting, not videogame killing. Be prepared to feel the weight of your sword.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#2 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11202 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:21 AM

Got it.. But my random times of play and my general suckiness means I'm sticking mostly to single player.

And ehh.. This game is much more... arcadey (I guess the word is?) than previous MH games.

#3 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14356 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:22 AM

It is a massive improvement over older games. it has so many quality of life improvements and is  the most accessible monster hunter ive ever played.  All the weapons have new tech and the new monsters are amazing fights save for one prickly bastard who i won't name cause spoilers. 

#4 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43496 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

I've generally liked monster hunter games in the past, and I looking forward to the next one *for the switch*.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#5 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Meow and some such

• Supporter
  • 4781 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

(Sits in the corner playing Stories)
Can the Allspark help me finalize my moms final expenses and help me restart my life? https://www.gofundme...3b9342a8b25bbfd

WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787Pokémon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345 Actual friends: um....

#6 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7616 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

Haven't played a... monhun... game before, but the way everyone's obsessed with this, I couldn't not pick it up. Well, actually I almost couldn't not not pick it up, because everyone here underordered (which seems to have been inevitable given the demand) and apparently I got one of thew two last copies in the whole stupid city. Initially I was just all "screw this, I guess I'll just grab SotC (for a third time) instead" (and had to work hard for a copy of that too). I mean, it's basically the same game, right? But I couldn't resist the This Is The Big Game Now You Must Play It allure of MHW. 

I picked the Insect Glaive as my first weapon, because it sounded cool and I liked the idea of the vaulting. And the vaulting is great, although I struggle sometimes to land a hit when I'm coming down. And then I'm struggling with the combat generally, it doesn't feel very comfortable or intuitive, so I think I'll try some other weapons. I've occasionally pulled off some amazing combo or whatever by accident, and perhaps experienced a tiny tremor of what the fighting will feel like if I Become Competent, and that was pretty exciting. 

Other than that, even only having played a couple of hours I'm impressed. I'm not sure it will win me over long-term, but I'm keen to try it out more. There certainly are a lot of dense and bizarre systems to navigate. Occasionally when I'm out on a hunt interacting with the world I get this Neo-Tomb-Raidery feeling of This Is Not A Video Game, that polished thoughtful exist-in-that-place vibe that's not about button prompts and memorising control schemes and HUDs in your face. But then... it becomes not that. Which is fine, games can wear their gameishness on their sleeve. But MHW has a very interesting mix of... organic vs gamey? I'm probably not explaining this well.

ETA: good grief, some of the armor sets look crazy awesome. https://monsterhunte...alife.com/Armor

Edited by Maruten, 14 February 2018 - 04:55 PM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#7 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

This guy's doing some tutorials for the game, it might be helpful.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#8 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7616 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:11 PM

Ta. I do definitely need to dig up some good tips. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#9 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7616 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:41 AM

Ran a couple of missions with dual blades and found everything much smoother.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#10 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14356 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:47 AM

Also check out Projared's tutorials. there for an older game, but the concepts still apply for monster hunter.  insect glavie can be tricky to get down at first but once you do its a lot of fun. 

#11 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:51 AM

My main weapon is the Insect Glaive because I love its jumping ability, but I'm giving the long sword and charge blade a go. Gonna try and make that poison katana.

#12 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14356 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

i went sword and board just to get used to the new mechanics but ive been fiddling with the bow and insect glaive.  i haven't run into one person yet whose used the hunting horn. 

#13 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7616 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:52 PM

Trying out the heavy bowgun now. Seems okay and I do like not having to get too close. Feels kind of wrong though, seems counter to the game’s philosophy to be, like, not whacking dinosaurs in the facebone. I like the stats on hammers but I’m not sure how often I’ll hit.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#14 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:37 AM

Yeah it seems like there's a bit of stigma in the community towards ranged weaponry, but I imagine there's plenty of people who prefer them and can't handle close-range. I guess it's nice there's options.

#15 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Meow and some such

• Supporter
  • 4781 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:07 AM

I’m waiting for one of you new players to run in to their first Deviljho. You will fear the murder-pickle!!
Can the Allspark help me finalize my moms final expenses and help me restart my life? https://www.gofundme...3b9342a8b25bbfd

WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787Pokémon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345 Actual friends: um....

#16 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14356 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:51 AM

HR has its own deviljho analog and hes just as if not more terrifying.   Killed Kushala Dora last night, good to know hes still an ass. 

#17 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7616 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:06 AM

Man, I am terrified of all these giant bastards. Familiarity will come, but so far I am still crapping myself every time I see anything bigger than... uh... one of the small ones. I guess Im pretty much over the Jyuratodas, which was the last guy I hunted. I do not enjoy water, so after chasing that bastard around through the swap for an hour I was like, okay, just bring that ugly face over here so I can shoot it off.

I look forward to being stronger and better, because it is a slog running across the whole map six times to take these enormous guys down. I mean, I... assume thats... what the game is... but still.

I applaud them for trimming down the franchises fabled complexity to make something that can crack the big time. I hope its not too watered-down for long-time fans, because it is still jolly complex.

Edited by Maruten, 16 February 2018 - 06:21 AM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#18 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14356 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:49 AM

ive been playing since Monster hunter 3 on the wii and World is honestly my favorite entry into the series thus far.  each game they slowly improve on things and take out what doesn't work, like 3's abysmal swimming mechanics. 

#19 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:18 AM

I look forward to being stronger and better, because it is a slog running across the whole map six times to take these enormous guys down. I mean, I... assume that’s... what the game is... but still.

There's a couple of other camps you can find in the Wastes to make it less of a trek- I think there's a midpoint one around a blue pool of water, I remember it because it required a shell from one of those big mosquitos to make and it took me a while to realize that I could kill them with a stone to not shatter their bodies utterly... There's also a cave near the far side of the big sand-dune area where you can drop down into a tunnel system with a camp and also the local Grimalkynes, it empties out into the underground place that Diablos spawns so be careful.

#20 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43496 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

I so want to play this game, but do not want to purchase a new console just to play it...

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users