Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 June 2021 - 02:04 PM)

Fedex sucks

@  tigerhawk : (23 June 2021 - 10:09 AM)

"This never happened to the other fellow." -  One of my fave meta jokes in movies from 007: On her Majesty's Secret Service.

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

Photo
- - - - -

Solo: A Star Wars Story

332 replies to this topic

#281 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8378 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:29 AM

I think at least some of them will move forward sooner rather than later, but I think it's fair for Disney to pause things and have a good think first.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#282 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 5510 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

And it's not as if Disney is the first to do this.  Warner put aside over half a dozen film in various stages of production after Batman v Superman's backlash and subsequent underperformance of Justice League.

Transformers was slated for five yearly films until Last Knight, effectively, bombed at the box office, not to mention the issues associated with the Hasbro Heroes Universe that haven't even given us a film yet.

#283 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

They may also be taking the toy and merchandise sales into consideration, since the whole bit of releasing movies on top of each other means that product is now competing with itself at retail and is making a mess for everyone. 

Letting the fields go fallow for a while may give time for merch to finally move from shelves. 

#284 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2138 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

Spinoffs or no spinoffs, not making one movie a year feels like a positive move, for the public burnout/merchandise self-competition reasons others mentioned above.

I do vaguely wonder what the actual plan will be after ep. 9. I’d rather they not jump right into ep. 10. I wouldn’t mind Story films every two years for awhile after.

#285 Daith

Daith

Is this the Way?...

• Supporter
  • 10087 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

Personally I just think going back into the past with the established characters at this point was a bad move to do live action. The Uber Sensitive FanBoys were never going to accept anyone other than Harrison in the Han role. While I didn't mind Solo as a film, I can see why people could be put off with it. Unlike the prequels where there is a good thirty to twenty years difference to age our characters between movies from Ep 1 to Ep 4 making the change in actors necessary even if they were made in order, ten years usually doesn't always result in that many greater physical changes.  But the reality is there is no way to make a young Han or Lando without recasting. And reality is the bane of the USFB's I mentioned above.

Spin-off movies should be just that. Spun-off. Granted Kenobi is still a decent candidate because even if McGregor isn't looking like Alec Guinness in his later age there still is that connection to the prequels now. And Fett's looks under the armor are ambiguous as it is so while Temuera Morrison or Daniel Logan reprising the role would be ideal it's not a deal breaker if someone else got the role really as long as Fett keeps his helmet on.

But I'm getting off point. If spinning off why stick to known characters or events? It's not impossible to create an interest in something outside the Skywalker lineage. Heck If KotOR or something similar got made I'm sure it would bring people in. And I still wish Lucas's Red Tails film would of been a prototype Rouge Squadron movie By attaching films to already established main characters we do limit the story somewhat to what can be told.Of course there is always limits in an established continuity we have to follow but the further distanced from the main characters we have the more leeway to tell a more original and engaging story possibly. Of course the USFB's may take that and run the opposite way but in my mind if they continue to stick with established characters in the limelight of the spinoffs I think Solo is the roadmap for how well they probably will do.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#286 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 69053 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

http://collider.com/...pinoffs-on-hold

Stand Alone films are on hiatus after Solo's box office disappointment.  I'm more inclined to think that, because Star Wars was always an "event" film, people were just burned out by the extreme frequency of releases.  And I don't feel Disney did a good job distinguishing between "Story" and "Episode" projects on top of that.  I recall more than a few asking where Rey was during the marketing of Rogue One.

Another source supposedly within Lucasfilm says things are still moving forward: https://abcnews.go.c...ory?id=56057987

ACItEK8.png

#287 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 41263 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

https://www.allspark...this-september/

Coming to home media this September!

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#288 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21619 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

Looks like Ill be getting a birthday present a few days early!

Going to spring for the Steelbook for sure.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#289 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27649 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:35 PM

I just saw it. I still have a crap ton of extra's to go through, so I'll keep this brief.

It started off kinda slow but ended pretty good. It hit all the backstory points that needed answered (meeting Lando, getting the Falcon, Kessel Run), and some others that absolutely nobody was asking questions about.

Thing is...well...actually one of my co-workers said it better and more succinctly than I ever could...

It was a good movie. But when it comes to Star Wars, you expect better than "good."
Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#290 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1776 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:48 PM

I'm still bummed that there's likely not going to be a followup.  There's a lot of room there to explore parts of SW that we usually don't get.  I would love to have gotten more of the Lando-Han rivalry going forward. 

I still think that if it'd released later, it probably would have done better. 

~Marduk

#291 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 8175 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:31 PM

I think we will get a Solo 2.  I have not looked at Blu Ray sales, but, I have seen a TON of people who are just now watching it now that it is out and people are loving it.  Its a train robbery, a bank heist (Kessel), a get away (escaping through the maw), a double, or even triple cross at the end.  That part may not have kept you guessing, but it was at least entertaining to watch it play out.  The appearance of Darth Maul was a fun surprise.  This was a solid movie.  I hope they bring Ron Howard back when they decide to do the 2nd one.  We still need to see Han meet Jabba, dump the cargo, maybe set up some more back story with him and Boba Fett and him getting to the Catina.  

#292 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:31 PM

Quite a decent film but felt like a pilot for a young Solo adventures TV show on the big screen and i hope they never recast the adult version of Solo because Ford IS adult Solo just like Ford IS Indiana Jones.

#293 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 11020 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:38 PM

I certainly enjoyed it more my second time through... not 'cuz I didn't enjoy it the first time, but because at home with the 4K blu-ray I could actually see what was happening on the screen in dark scenes without squinting... the pre-trainjob campire scene was easily the worst offender at the theatre. I'm convinced now that the 3-D show I was at was some kind of jackjob, possibly with nobody bothering to change the projector's brightness for 3-D when transitioning from 2-D. It's a film of dark, grim cinematography that isn't quite my favourite aesthetic for a movie like this, however on a proper setup it's nice to see that the darkness isn't literally impenetrable.

#294 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35501 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:21 PM

I saw it a second time last night too.  I have never been a detractor.  While it is not one of the greats and I'll admit to a good dose of silliness in the concept and execution of the movie, I enjoyed it the first time.  I worried that it would stink a little on the second viewing, but I still liked it and my wife (first time) liked it too.

I was all ready to explain to my wife who Darth Maul was.  He came on screen and she said, "That's Darth Maul".  Apparently she knows him from our nephew's books.

#295 Robowang

Robowang

Since 1998

• Supporter
  • 4826 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:29 PM

Now I just want to know if Wilford Brimley is ever a guest at Star Wars conventions.

There might be some nice places on the planet.

Han talks about going to Coronet City, and Qi'ra's escape plan involves getting out of the "exclusion zone," which suggests that the post-industrial hellscape that we see is only a part of Corellia.

Which would make this one of the only two examples in Star Wars of a planet having multiple biomes (the other is the moon of Endor, which the Ewok TV movies reveal to have grasslands, mountains, and deserts in addition to the forest).

#296 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 7145 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:04 PM

Now I just want to know if Wilford Brimley is ever a guest at Star Wars conventions.

There might be some nice places on the planet.

Han talks about going to Coronet City, and Qi'ra's escape plan involves getting out of the "exclusion zone," which suggests that the post-industrial hellscape that we see is only a part of Corellia.

Which would make this one of the only two examples in Star Wars of a planet having multiple biomes (the other is the moon of Endor, which the Ewok TV movies reveal to have grasslands, mountains, and deserts in addition to the forest).

Naboo has forest, ocean, grass lands, and waterfall.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#297 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14671 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:23 AM

I'm just surprised he's still alive. Figured the "dia-beet-us" would have gotten him by now.

Yep.

#298 tigerhawk

tigerhawk
  • Citizen
  • 6702 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:55 AM

I've just seen the film again on Blu Ray and it was a better experience then when at the cinema. First time around I wrote it off, I felt it went through a few casts and jumped around alot of places but at the time was tired after days of hectic work. This time, I enjoyed the film alot more, I rate it higher then The Last Jedi, on par with The Force Awakens but Rogue One remains my favourite Disney Star wars film.

I still think that if it'd released later, it probably would have done better. 

I never knew this and the Justice League were out when they came out, I actually asked a friend at work into DC comics if he'd seen Justice League and he was shocked to learn it's been out for almost a year.

Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet you somehow brazenly declare that seeing is believing!

#299 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 10099 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:57 PM

Just saw it.  Not great, but still a lot better than TLJ. 

#300 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18629 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:48 PM

I'd put Solo about on Par with Return of the Jedi. Solid, good and fun Star Wars but not the top of my list but totally worth watching and worth watching again.

ZacWilliam, Best Star Wars remains Empire, New Hope, Last Jedi and Force Awakens in roughly that order, Solo probably comes in right after that. Those are all solid great and Solo is solid "real good."
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users