Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 December 2019 - 02:13 AM)

Is BWTF down?

@  Nevermore : (15 December 2019 - 04:05 PM)

The music, if you'd even call it that, adds to the creepy atmosphere. Apparently it was recorded using sounds created in a real nuclear power plant of the same type as Chernobyl.

@  Nevermore : (15 December 2019 - 04:04 PM)

In case you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend the HBO mini-series "Chernobyl", which is about, well, you know. It's very intense and not for the faint-heartet. I'd say it's more scary than any horror flick, because (despite some artistic liberties taken with the behavior of some of the characters, and the timeline for some events), it's eerily real.

@  Sabrblade : (15 December 2019 - 10:51 AM)

Hey, at least you baked a cake in the bathroom. Not many can attest to that. :p

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Nope. Forgot entirely, had to make another trip.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 December 2019 - 04:04 PM)

Well, did you get water?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Went to the bathroom, shaved, baked a cake... wait, I only got up to get some water...

@  unluckiness : (14 December 2019 - 09:01 AM)

That's a common misconception. You see compared to the first run, it's a new mold.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 December 2019 - 03:27 AM)

Wouldn't that just add packaging authenticity? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2019 - 01:44 AM)

I read a anecdote of someone recently receiving a Glacialord with mold because apparently online stores' warehouses have been sitting on Fansproject products like that for years.

@  Rycochet : (13 December 2019 - 11:56 AM)

Unlike many of his peers, Morton diesn't seem to have gone out of his way to try and take every drug going so he's aged remarkably well.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Doesn't seem to have been a market for it, which is too bad, because it perfectly does what it sets out to do.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Just opened it and suddenly I'm 9 years old again.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Bought myself Fansproject Glacialord for my birthday during their Black Friday sale.

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Beast Wars Neo w/ English Subtitles Coming Late 2018

369 replies to this topic

Poll: Your chance to choose Cohrada / Corada / Colada's name in our fansub

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

How should his name be spelled?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 5863 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

Reboot not able to show or say hockey.

What.

What was that about?

Like, to give a stupid example, if I were ""translating"" a piece of British fiction into American English,

They actually did that with Bob the Builder.

I could technically translate "sod this" into "[word that is filtered into hug] this" - it has a similar meaning and can be used in sentences in most of the same ways. It's as close an equivalent to "sod" as you're gonna get. But "[word that is filtered into hug] this" would read as far harsher swearing to an American than "sod this" would to a British person, and thus you've changed the intended tone of that dialogue for the American.

And I think that's what we have here. A Japanese word that is colloquial and crude, but not as crude as the most common American English word of the same meaning.

#122 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1725 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

I'd like to second Spacewarp's suggestion: keep the more literal translation in the subtitle track with Cybertron/Destron, while using a less harsh version for the Maximal/Predacon track.

My reasoning is pretty simple. You're never going to reach any kind of consensus on this sort of thing. If you go with one choice or the other, there will be people happy with the choice, and people unhappy with the choice. If anyone didn't already know that to be a certain truth, I think this thread alone is all the evidence you'll ever need.

However, I think people tend to fall into two main camps. Either you want to see everything exactly as it was, or you're ok with making modifications to adapt to other cultures, norms, terminology, etc. There will of course be exceptions and shades of grey for any single individual, but I think those are the broad categories.

In general, I suspect the people who want to see Cybertron/Destron will also be the same people who will want to see the original language as much as possible. Meanwhile, the people who are open to changing either the factions or language to match what we typically see outside Japan are likely open to changing the other as well. Again, broad strokes, exceptions, etc.

Of course, that means more work, so that might not even be an option. At the end of the day, whatever way you choose to go, I'm pretty sure the final consensus will be that we're all thrilled it will even exist to be able to debate about. So thank you for tackling this series!  :)

#123 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 17796 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

"Swear" has been used as a noun for at least more than a century?

Maybe! To me it sounds ludicrously childish!

#124 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Citizen
  • 1056 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

I think if you make a sub that replaces words, it will just make someone else attempt to make a true translation in the future.
jBU1ixT.jpg

#125 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 17796 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

It's been twenty years and this is the first anybody has bothered, so...

#126 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 17796 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

However, I think people tend to fall into two main camps. Either you want to see everything exactly as it was, or you're ok with making modifications to adapt to other cultures, norms, terminology, etc. There will of course be exceptions and shades of grey for any single individual, but I think those are the broad categories.

In general, I suspect the people who want to see Cybertron/Destron will also be the same people who will want to see the original language as much as possible. Meanwhile, the people who are open to changing either the factions or language to match what we typically see outside Japan are likely open to changing the other as well. Again, broad strokes, exceptions, etc.

Also this is an extremely insightful post that I just want to, I guess, acknowledge? It's hard for me to imagine anyone is just thinking "no I have to see Transformers swearing" in our, like, post-Robot Chicken world, where surely that novelty has worn thin to the point of nonexistence. So the only interpretation that makes any sense to me is that people who feel strongly about robot profanity must be approaching it from a "translations should never be adaptations" mindset. I'm not sure I'd have recognized that without Exatron, which probably doesn't say much for my powers of insight.

#127 ThunderWear

ThunderWear

scoot scoot

• Citizen
  • 1227 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:04 PM

Now someone needs to go on a rant about the atrocities 4Kids used to do to One Piece.

Edited by Shrug, 05 February 2018 - 05:04 PM.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#128 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:18 PM

Honestly, I see it as less about censorship and more about the Transformers-ness of it.

I mean, it'd be like a Star Trek movie where two Vulcans end a conversation with "have a nice day," or a Star Wars movie where a Jedi wishes someone "good luck."

Weird context-appropriate idioms are part of the fun.

But this is Transformers. It's an official Transformers product, and that's how it's written.

If you start trying to force language and concepts that aren't a translation but literally "aren't there" then we're going to have a retread of that stupid argument a few years back where people were defending IIRC Shout's subtitles changing Sixshot from the ninja he was into a "phase sixer" because they thought it made more sense.

If there was an official localization then you can do that sort of thing because that's an active effort by the property owners to adapt material for a different audience, but this is a fansub, which exists to simply allow people to understand an existing show.

a "translations should never be adaptations" mindset.

To be fair, even as a purist i know that this is impossible. A translation is always going to have differences from the original text and you'll never have a 1/1 translation job, so a translator MUST be able to change things in a way that best carries the spirit of the work using their own judgement. It's like playing sheet music on two different instruments, you need to make alterations to fit the different tones to the new sound.

Edited by 2018, 05 February 2018 - 07:22 PM.

PM me if you're bored!

#129 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29146 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

a "translations should never be adaptations" mindset.

To be fair, even as a purist i know that this is impossible. A translation is always going to have differences from the original text and you'll never have a 1/1 translation job, so a translator MUST be able to change things in a way that best carries the spirit of the work using their own judgement. It's like playing sheet music on two different instruments, you need to make alterations to fit the different tones to the new sound.

I know exactly what you mean as I too have had to deal with this practice of adaptation first hand. I'm currently involved in a French-to-English translation project for a series of French-original Disney stories starring Goofy, in which I've had to make some small changes in the translation in order to make the dialogue not only make sense in English but to also fit how Goofy would speak these lines in English, all while still trying to keep true to the intent behind the original French dialogue.

For instance, in one of these stories--a parody of Don Quixote--Goofy refers to monsters as "creatures of Hell" in French. But since there's no way he would ever use that phrase in any official English-language Disney work, I opted to rework the phrase into saying "infernal creatures". But again, because it's Goofy, who's always using malapropisms, I modified the phrase even further to say "informal creatures", which better matches the silly kind of way that Goofy speaks in English, while the original intent of the dialogue is still recognizable to those familiar with how Goofy misspeaks his words.

Edited by Sabrblade, 05 February 2018 - 08:51 PM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#130 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 17796 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

I feel like that's the exact opposite of what she wants based on the first half of the post you quoted.

#131 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29146 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

I feel like that's the exact opposite of what she wants based on the first half of the post you quoted.

True, but, in the case of my project, it's a non-American work about an American-original character, rather than a completely non-American work altogether, so there admittedly are some particulars to consider when it comes to each case.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#132 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 17796 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

Well, I have no problem with adaptation at all. I generally prefer it. I'm just saying, I don't think that demonstrates knowing exactly what she means.

#133 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29146 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

That's fair.

My example comes from the other direction, yes, but I felt the bit about how "a translator MUST be able to change things in a way that best carries the spirit of the work using their own judgement." fit what I've been doing lately. :doh

Edited by Sabrblade, 05 February 2018 - 09:52 PM.

#134 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:05 PM

I mean, everyone's approach is different. For example, I think of Goofy talking with a bit of an American hick accent, so I might try something indirect, like mentioning pitchforks and brimstone, which are traditionally kinda American folksy references, which allude to hell creatures but avoid outright saying "hell". Of course my approach would mean the sentence structure would be more different from the original, I assume, so if the sentence is too long and doesn't fit whatever context, then it'd be unwieldy.

PM me if you're bored!

#135 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 8279 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

Reboot not able to show or say hockey.

What.

What was that about?

The show's early jokes at the expense of Board of Standards and Practices came from frustration encountered by the show's makers by an abundance of script and editing changes that were imposed upon Mainframe before episodes were allowed to air. These changes were all aimed at making the show "appropriate" for kids, and to prevent even the slightest appearance of "inappropriate" content, imitable violence or sexuality.

The character Dot was considered too sexualized by the BS&P even though she was "never one to expose much cleavage" so the animators were forced to make her breasts less curvy and form them into a lumpy "monobreast", as lightly referred to by the staff. However, starting with season three, the "monobreasts" of all adult female characters were replaced with more anatomically correct versions. In another case, the word "hockey", as well as the sport itself, was cut in some countries as it was supposedly used as a vulgar slang term there. In the episode "Talent Night", one scene of Dot giving her brother Enzo "a sisterly kiss on the chin" was cut due to BS&P's fear of promoting incest, an insinuation which Pearson described as "one of the sickest things I've heard."

Quoting Wikipedia there.

Edited by Blot, 05 February 2018 - 10:53 PM.

#136 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29146 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:25 AM

I mean, everyone's approach is different. For example, I think of Goofy talking with a bit of an American hick accent, so I might try something indirect, like mentioning pitchforks and brimstone, which are traditionally kinda American folksy references, which allude to hell creatures but avoid outright saying "hell". Of course my approach would mean the sentence structure would be more different from the original, I assume, so if the sentence is too long and doesn't fit whatever context, then it'd be unwieldy.

I forgot to mention that it technically wasn't Goofy as himself in the story, but Goofy portrayed in the role of one of his ancestors who was a parody of Don Quixote, so I was also trying to avoid using too many anachronisms and/or 20th century American cultural lingo in order to find just the right balance between sticking true to A) the character of Goofy himself, B) the ancestor role he was playing, C) the culture and time period in which he was placed into said ancestor role, and D) the original spirit/intent of the original French dialogue.

In the specific case of his saying "creature of Hell" in the French dialogue, the French word used for "Hell" was "L'enfer", which I felt the word "infernal" was a close enough alternative for "of Hell" to still be evocative of "L'enfer" (while "informal" was just too good of a Goofy-esque malapropism for "infernal" to pass up, since the parts where Goofy's ancestor says the phrase are presented as lighthearted humorous moments with some slapstick comedy and silly misunderstandings; it just fit the tone and action of these scenes so perfectly).

Anyway, back to Beast Wars Neo, ah-hyuck!

Edited by Sabrblade, 06 February 2018 - 12:36 AM.

#137 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Staff
  • 11032 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

Reminds me that the Asterix translators had a strict rule for themselves: rather than try to translate the jokes on the page exactly, they would instead include exactly the same number of jokes on each page.

unknown.png

#138 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21210 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

Super happy to see this done!

On the current topic, I just think its weird to hear/read a Transformer say shit. Slag all the way.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#139 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29146 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:48 AM

I found it baffling that the aimed-at-adults Titans Return cartoon had everyone using the softened-for-children's-television "Scrud" instead "Scrap", as well as Windblade once uttering "What the headlight", yet Emissary was able to yell the D-word like it was nothing.

#140 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9624 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

I got super confused for a minute there, and wondered if Emissary had called someone a dick, or something.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users