Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 09:48 PM)

Not I

@  Pennpenn : (17 February 2018 - 09:34 PM)

Does anyone know of a good place to get clean versions of the G1 Transformers weapon sound effects? Preferable as .wav files.

@  CORVUS : (17 February 2018 - 09:10 PM)

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/02/12/say-goodbye-to-the-view-image-button-on-google-images/

@  CORVUS : (17 February 2018 - 09:10 PM)

You can thank Getty Images for the loss of the view-image button.

@  Locoman : (17 February 2018 - 08:47 PM)

why the hell did google take away the "view image" button

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 08:21 PM)

I don't have kids... So that's not an issue for me.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 February 2018 - 06:14 PM)

I assume you have fewer kids than toys, but whatever gets the job done more efficiently, I suppose.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 06:02 PM)

Duck tape what? The toys or the kids? ;)

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 February 2018 - 05:55 PM)

Duct tape.

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2018 - 05:53 PM)

Good luck trying to keep hyper kids away from shelves full of toys.

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 05:50 PM)

Solution: Acquire some hyperactive children and only let them loose after shelfing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 05:45 PM)

@shrug, I can't do that.. 1 concrete floor.. 2 my feet are messed up. x.x;

@  RichardT1977 : (17 February 2018 - 05:32 PM)

When the Mattel panel comes up, does anyone think it'll mention anything about a tie-in with the upcoming She-Ra series?

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 05:25 PM)

I don't get it very often, but every time I adjust a shelf/figure I do the "jump up and down like a hyperactive child" test when I'm done.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 04:50 PM)

Luckily I don't have that problem much.

@  Bass X0 : (17 February 2018 - 04:30 PM)

How often do you experience the domino effect on your toy shelves? One toy accidentally falls over, bumps into another one, and several fall over.

@  Kalidor : (17 February 2018 - 03:56 PM)

They'll be covering TMNT, Voltron, Ben 10 and Mysticons for sure. Not sure if anything as epic has some of the Hasbro stuff we saw will come to light

@  Kalidor : (17 February 2018 - 03:55 PM)

Yeah I know - I skipped posting it in here but at least the info is there. The Playmates panel is starting in about 30 min tho

@  Nevermore : (17 February 2018 - 03:48 PM)

By the time you answered, the panel had already concluded. :p

@  Kalidor : (17 February 2018 - 03:13 PM)

https://discord.gg/c9GPkem

@  Kalidor : (17 February 2018 - 03:13 PM)

Yes - we've got (or had) live coverage of it on twitter and it's all compiled in our discord channel as well

@  Nevermore : (17 February 2018 - 01:32 PM)

Is the HAsbro Toy Fair panel today?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 12:35 PM)

Yeah! That's it!

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 12:28 PM)

Ah, yeah that's one of the ones I keep forgetting even exists. Dunno about them (Boukenger?)

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 12:06 PM)

The Operation overdrive japanese version *sorry.. can't remember the name* seemed very fragile to me.

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 12:01 PM)

To be fair, they weren't more fragile generally until Kyoryuger.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 11:59 AM)

"Not like the Japanese version! The japanese verions is sooooo good." Despite the fact they are much more expensive and more fragile. x.x;

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 11:59 AM)

I think people are just mad that it's

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 11:50 AM)

It's an unobtrusive feature that adds play value. You can completely ignore it, mess with it once for 15 minutes, or make wacky combinations every time you buy something new.  My only issue is the implementation of it in the Legacy Tigerzord.  Makes you have to partform the Mega Tigerzord some.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 11:48 AM)

But the zord builder system is so cool. I love mixing and matching zords. It also makes it so older zords arn't "Obsolete."

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 11:47 AM)

Yup. Power Ranger fans are just as bad as... well, every other fandom for not liking fun.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 11:46 AM)

So elsewhere.. I got insulted for likeing the zord builder system. x.x;

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 11:44 AM)

The Thunder Megazord is a much more complicated design than most Sentai mecha, (transforming robot wearing transforming armor instead of 5 things fold into a Voltron) so the 200 pricetag wasn't much a shocker to me.

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 11:43 AM)

Tor was more-or-less larger, but he's also basically hollow. A much simpler design, really, but when former Bandai Rep Greg was questioned about it he said it would cost them at least as much as Titanus to sell. Which I felt like was more of answer to make people quit asking instead of the actual reason why (lack of faith in less prevalent non-season 1 stuff)

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 11:40 AM)

I have a mostly mint-in-box original Dairenoh. The reissue's preorders popped up and closed during my long joblessness, so I missed that.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 February 2018 - 11:39 AM)

I never had any of the original MMPR toys, so I'm not 100% sure how Tor compared in size to other large Zords like Titanus, but the high price tag (I think it was $200 USD for Titanus) didn't seem to stop them releasing that one. Maybe he was a more popular figure than Tor, though. I'd honestly completely forgotten about Tor until I read the Squawkbox last night.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 11:00 AM)

Well I can just say.. Getting the Original Dragonzord, Megazord, Thunderzord, White Tiger, and Broken Tor and Blade blaster has made me very happy.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 February 2018 - 08:15 AM)

Yeah, that. I think it eventually ended up with a licensor instead of Mattel themselves, somehow. No idea if trying to buy anything is still lots of suffering anymore.

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 08:10 AM)

He-Man, right? Isn't that fandom pretty masochistic by now from all the stuff Mattel pulled?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 February 2018 - 08:02 AM)

Didn't Mattel make the same kind of announcements with (one of?) their web exclusive lines?

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 07:58 AM)

Oh, and the new legacy team line with problems across the board that Bandai literally announced with "if you stop buying them, we'll stop making them."  Which is true of any toyline, but threatening your fans to buy ones they don't want in order to get ones they do is a new level of crappy public relations.

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 07:53 AM)

But then they wanted $80 for the Falconzord at announcement. Said that was a mistake, only for it to show up at store at $80, with a temporary price drop a month later to placate the fans.  

@  Shrug : (17 February 2018 - 07:52 AM)

Legacy Thunder Megazord is amazing and really, really close to being worth the full asking price. They even fixed a design flaw post-release. Not something I can recall Bandai doing ever before (or since, actually.)

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 February 2018 - 06:07 AM)

Things like that may be the reason the Bandai is losing the brand.

@  unluckiness : (17 February 2018 - 05:55 AM)

Because it would be stupidly expensive if the Thunder Megazord was anything to go by

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 February 2018 - 01:01 AM)

seems like they did everything else

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 February 2018 - 12:59 AM)

Why was there never a Legacy Tor, anyway?

@  Plokatron : (17 February 2018 - 12:45 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw Nice Tor is one boss of a Zord, I mean when you remember that Serpenterra in the original Sentai is a Cosmic being in Mech form and that Tor was able to survive it stepping on him talk about tough. I mean Mata Nui, Primus or Unicron would smash him so flat you'd thing he was tin foil but still tough is tough. I never got the thunderzords save The White Tiger and that is only thanks to a dear friend. Had Ninjor and the Ninja Zords but the first two I missed. I plan to buy a Masterpiece Dragonzord Green was awesome! Funny thing Grimlock and Slag in my Comic (Thread coming soon on it's development) Transformers: Roll Out his altmode is the original red trex and Slag is the Triceratops I'm trying to get creative with the Sabertooth Tiger and Mastodon replacements but Pterodactyls pterodons are as close as we get to flying Dinos so Swoop is going to be the only exception to them being Dinobots (Ain't he always?) Oh nut got that feeling again @wonko the sane? Wonko are my shouts getting too long? Don't want to make a nuisance of myself.

@  Shrug : (16 February 2018 - 08:49 PM)

No one seems to appreciate that Tor is a giant robot turtle. I don't care what the Ultrazord combination is. Giant. Robot. Turtle. Basic robot mode is just a bonus.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2018 - 05:45 PM)

I use Tor for a monitor stand.

Photo
- - - - -

Masterforce Observations

PRE-TENDAH

34 replies to this topic

#1 RCX

RCX
  • Retired Staff
  • 2734 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:59 PM

So I'm finally sitting down (after a few false starts) and watching Masterforce from beginning to end.  I've never seen this show, but have heard it's quite good.  So far, I am thoroughly enjoying it as a different and very interesting take on the Human/Transformer relationship.

However, throughout the first few episodes, I've had trouble keeping everyone straight.  Specifically the 4 main Pretenders.  At first I thought it was because "I'm almost 40, and learning brand new characters from a 30 year kid show just is more difficult when not viewed through kids' eyes." But then I realized that these characters have twice as much info than "normal" Transformers have about them.  I am talking about visual information. I find it so easy to recall every TF that was on the Ark, and that's partly because I've had that info in my head for over 30 years.  All of those guys basically have a robot mode and a vehicle mode to recall. 

The 4 main dudes in Masterforce (Hawk, Diver, Lander, and Phoenix) all have 4 sets of "appearances" to remember.  For example, Hawk is the guy in the brown suit, the red white and yellow Pretender shell, and gold blue and red robot, and similarly colored jet.  And he's the easiest, because he's the most leader-ish of the group. I am able to easily remember Diver's robot mode (the all black guy), but keeping his human model straight without confusing him with Lander is more difficult.  Lander is the brightest blonde of the bunch and wears glasses, and Diver appears to have dirty blonde hair.  And Phoenix is Wolverineish.

Pretender var modes are also tough, considering they mostly just fold their legs over their shoulders to reveal cockpit crotches in varying colors. And some fly and some don't. Sure, their actual character names help with who is who and who can fly, but if you asked me to quickly pick out who is Lander and who is Phoenix in var mode, I'd have to think for a minute. Not to mention their names are so mundane, adding another layer of difficulty.

Remembering who is who on the Destron side in robot mode is even rougher.  The robot character models just aren't distinct enough to have their name instantly pop into my head.  The Cybertron HM Jrs. are easy enough, but I often look at Shuta and Cab in their "head-robot'modes" and have to think.  The Destron HM Jrs.' human models are easy, but just remembering the name Wilder is tough for me.  

Then Hydra and Buster are introduced, with Hydra looking similar to Lander, making my head spin!  Not to mention that I thought both Cab and Buster were girls at first.

How about you guys?  Anyone every have as much trouble as I do, or think about it in such terms?

"I am stronger than you know."
- Rattrap, The Weak Component

#2 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Knight of Infinity

• Staff
  • 5647 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

Haven't watched the series through, but I enjoy your use of Japanese terminology here!

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#3 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 34693 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

The pretenders as robots are easy imo, becuase of their colors, no one really shares their primary colors.  Lander is Gray, Diver is Black, Phoenix fittingly is red, and Metalhawk is Gold/Blue. Similarly Blood is Blue/Teal, Duros is  Dark Gray, and Gilmer is pink. Only Lander and Duros share colors, but Durous is darker iirc plus being a Decepticon should prevent confusion. Though for me its probably maid easier by my actually liking Pretenders and being able to associate them with their completely identical American counterparts.

Can't give any help for the Humans, but I dont remember having any confusion there myself, even with the 'anime bishi' look makign several look identical. Hydra might look sorta like Lander, but as he's a bad guy I feel there are musical and visual cues that make them identifable from each other.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#4 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Knight of Infinity

• Staff
  • 5647 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

That's *Dauros.

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#5 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1835 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, I AM having trouble remembering what the Autobots pretenders that aren't Metalhawk looked like (stylish suited guy, blue anime shell, gold robot and Being the Leader made him stand out), or which was which. The three Decepticon shells are easy to remember, because they all have really unique heads, but forget remembering any of the robots.

On the other hand, it's not like it's terribly important to keep them in order, I feel like both teams of Pretenders mostly moved as a homogenous group anyway, save for the leaders (Bomb-Burst leading the 'Cons,) and they all eventually sink to the background anyway when the Powermasters show up.

#6 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 1881 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

I've seen the series through but outside of Grini, Metalhawk & Overlord plus the three kids, the rest of the others alt modes are kind of forgettable, with the cons I kind of liked seeing the beast forms but not their robots, maybe because to me, the robots were kind of uninspired and they all looked pretty similar, at least the pretenders, but I'm not really much of a Masterforce fan, personally I prefer Victory over Masterforce, I'm not sure why its like that but it kind of felt like to me, Masterforce started to go downhill after a couple of eps and by the end, we have the big bad, who not even a TF aside from taking over the body of Headmasters main villian in a different paint job, hell I've forgotten what their motivation was. I personally prefer Victory's main villian as well as its good guy leader, they had a much clearer motive (the villian)!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#7 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 23945 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Since I was really into Masterforce back when I first watched it, I was able to keep up with who all was who, with the only difficult ones for me at first being the Decepticon Pretenders since I kept expecting their robot modes to match the colors of their Pretender shells. But Gilmer is blue-shelled yet pink in robot mode, while Blood is blue in robot mode but mostly gray-shelled, while it's Dauros with the gray robot mode and the shell with the most pink on it. That bit of color-anti-coordination threw me off at first.

Edited by Sabrblade, 22 January 2018 - 05:15 PM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#8 Dracula

Dracula

IS DEAD NOW

• Staff
  • 4202 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

Yeah I was already familiar with the Pretenders since I liked them before watching the show, so I guess I didn't have a hard time telling them apart.

Plus they all get sidelined eventually anyway. Then you'll get to transition into having a hard time telling all the Godmasters apart.

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#9 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 60999 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

Like the series a lot, like the two uses of var mode a lot. :)

Some of the Pretenders kind of disappear eventually. But then you get the Godmasters, which I feel the Autobots are more generic than the previous Autobots.

#10 Robowang

Robowang

Nard Extractor

• Supporter
  • 3495 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

I never did finish this show. The Pretender human form stuff is super boring. I think if I would have made it to Overlord vs. Ginrai, it might have kept my attention longer. 

Also doesn't help that I don't have the awful dub to amuse me through it. The original Japanese dialogue is just so bland. 

NEEDS: Beast Wars II DRILLNUTS 

Beast Wars Powerpinch

Beast Wars Returns Strika

Beast Wars Returns Obsidian

SCF Chase figures - see post here - plenty to trade

Robowang's eBay Store - lots of TFs

MY WANTS LIST

My feedback

#11 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 6967 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

I'm pretty familiar with the Pretender characters, but that presents another problem; when you expect Landmine to be a rough asteroid miner with a Bruce Campbell vibe, Lander's actual personality is a bit harder to get a handle on. Same with Phoenix, who instead of being a dork like Cloudburst might be Wolverine? And the Decepticons are... I think Dowlos is the dumb one but that might just be his face.

My sense of the show was that I liked the setup with the Pretenders a lot, and lost interest as they were replaced by children (which happens around episode 2) and then this new crop of adults. It might help to try watching it subbed, because the dub didn't seem as entertaining as Headmasters.

#12 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 13837 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

I really like the part in Masterforce where the Tentakils are rampaging through the city, because it gives us a really nice sense of scale that in particular the G1 cartoons are really really bad at. Plus it effectively sets up the whole "Decepticons are giant monsters and the Autobots are hiding as humans to stop them" thing.

It's mostly downhill after that.

Edited by LV!, 23 January 2018 - 12:35 PM.

#13 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 60999 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

I'm pretty familiar with the Pretender characters, but that presents another problem; when you expect Landmine to be a rough asteroid miner with a Bruce Campbell vibe, Lander's actual personality is a bit harder to get a handle on. Same with Phoenix, who instead of being a dork like Cloudburst might be Wolverine? And the Decepticons are... I think Dowlos is the dumb one but that might just be his face.

My sense of the show was that I liked the setup with the Pretenders a lot, and lost interest as they were replaced by children (which happens around episode 2) and then this new crop of adults. It might help to try watching it subbed, because the dub didn't seem as entertaining as Headmasters.

Yeah I watched the subbed version while on the elliptical.  I wasn't aware of any dubs outside of those comically bad ones.

The sub has some problems, like replacing any use of the word "Blood" with "Bomburst".  Even when blood is coming out of a human.

#14 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 23945 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

The sub has some problems, like replacing any use of the word "Blood" with "Bomburst".  Even when blood is coming out of a human.

Must've been the Shout! Factory DVD subs.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#15 Princess Viola

Princess Viola

Now officially pinkified!

• Supporter
  • 23042 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

tbh all the autobot pretenders in masterforce sans metalhawk are completely interchangable

tumblr_oyyada3sti1qzq67s3w.jpg

#16 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 6967 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

I remember thinking Lander was being set up to be a proper character, what with having a distinctive job and going on dates like a person, but I think those things come up just once. At least he has glasses, which he wears under his Pretender helmet.

#17 Creedence

Creedence
  • Citizen
  • 8419 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

The Pretenders have that typical problem in Japanese fiction where they're more defined by their jobs than their personalities.

#18 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 60999 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

Yeah I think Lander's thing appears a few times.

If I recall Diver works at an aquarium or something.  Doesn't that come up a few times?

#19 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 40261 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

It's how they meet Ginrai - he's transporting something for the aquarium. And I think the kids fed the dolphins once. Other than that, it was just a location call out and really could have been anywhere.

#20 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 2969 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

I remember in 1996 being told how Masterforce was an unmissable dark, violent Transformers series that was immeasurably superior to "Power Rangers clone" Beast Wars.

Months later I got to see the Beast Wars pilot episodes and a Singapore dubbed episode of Masterforce on the same afternoon when visiting a friend's house, and my perception of Masterforce has been negatively shaped by that day.

QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users