Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 June 2018 - 07:16 PM)

I mean the foam was dangerous, but in space they probably put out the fires, then wore the equivalent of a hazmat suit to clean up.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 June 2018 - 04:38 PM)

Only on special occassions.

@  Paladin : (20 June 2018 - 03:50 PM)

you don't?

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 June 2018 - 02:17 PM)

I mean, we don't usually use asbestos on our souls.....

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 June 2018 - 10:11 AM)

*looks at asbestos" Yep... Cause we've never used something harmful as a fire retardant. x.x;

@  unluckiness : (20 June 2018 - 06:32 AM)

fire retardant foam is so powerful it can extinguish even sparks

@  Pennpenn : (20 June 2018 - 05:23 AM)

I mean, this is a species that can be disabled (possibly fatally after a while?) by flame retardant foam, so yeah.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 June 2018 - 01:28 AM)

Transformers are exactly as resilient as the plot needs them to be, so who knows, it could be lethal today.

@  RichardT1977 : (19 June 2018 - 08:50 PM)

Which is why Marvel Megatron was interested in Dr. Biggles-Jones' railgun design and had it grafted onto his G2 tank mode.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2018 - 08:43 PM)

Doesn't really matter what transformers are made of. If you send a 10 pound ball of metal flying at a good enough velocity, you will do damage.

@  Soft Snow : (19 June 2018 - 05:53 PM)

A regular cannon that shoots cannon balls and does nothing to other transformers because they are robots but would put a mean whole in the side of your wooden boat...

@  Shiny Chariot : (19 June 2018 - 05:44 PM)

wtf did the shoutbox do to my emoji

also @ patchy its whatever your heart desires 😘

shes not a drill but she is a grill

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 June 2018 - 05:40 PM)

POTP CINDERSAUR IS A GIRL THIS IS NOT A DRILL

@  Patchouli Kn... : (19 June 2018 - 05:18 PM)

A fusion cannon, or just a regular cannon?

@  Shiny Chariot : (19 June 2018 - 05:04 PM)

megatron but he turns into a ford fusion with a cannon badly welded onto the roof

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2018 - 02:22 PM)

My Little Fusion Cannon: Friendship Through Tyranny.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 June 2018 - 02:01 PM)

was that supposed to sound sexual

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2018 - 01:55 PM)

I'm pretty sure that megatrons cannon is his best friend, so that friendship is magic stuff won't work.

@  MEDdMI : (19 June 2018 - 01:16 PM)

And then the magic ponies force everyone to be friends FOREVERRRRRRR

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2018 - 12:06 PM)

Or... megatron just goes to war against skynet cause he can't stand the competition.

@  Otaku : (19 June 2018 - 10:53 AM)

As for Megatron vs Skynet... Shockwave decides to partner with Skynet and oust Megatron after first contact is made. We get Terminator/Vehicon hybrids. At first the humans are expedient pawns (why waste loyal Decepticons), then enough humans augmented with Cybertronian tech impress Megs that, after victory, humanity is absorbed into the Decepticon empire. Even if only as second or third class citizens, it still beats being seen as vermin by Skynet.

@  Otaku : (19 June 2018 - 10:51 AM)

Like I said, it is a nitpick; it makes sense, I'd just like to see a "regular" Earth setting where the 'cons take a stealthier approach to things - maybe because the Autobots are a better check against them and so they play the heroes. I mean, they could use various means to take being a sort of M.A.S.K. meets Power Rangers style team. ;)

@  Otaku : (19 June 2018 - 10:45 AM)

@Nevermore Works well enough for me. If I had to nitpick, I think there are actually two different stories being forced together. A "Thunderbolts" style story with the Decepticons doesn't need Skynet... and Megatron liberating the humans from Skynet doesn't need the subterfuge, at least for long.

@  unluckiness : (19 June 2018 - 08:33 AM)

I can dig it

@  unluckiness : (19 June 2018 - 08:21 AM)

So Thunderbolts with giant robots?

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:22 PM)

Thundercracker, in particular.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:21 PM)

Some of the Decepticons start to really enjoy being the good guys. Well, they enjoy the act, at least. They find fulfillment in their assumed personas.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:20 PM)

Except SHockwave eventually betrays his teammates and teams up with Skynet.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:20 PM)

Starscream becomes the young, eager Nightscream, and so on.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:19 PM)

Megatron becomes the noble Megabolt, taking cues from Beast Wars Silverbolt.

A Thunderbolts-esque masquerade.

In order to do so, the Decepticons pretend to be the good guys and take on different personas.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:18 PM)

So Megatron decides that hey, the Autobots are stillback on Cybertron, so why not team up with the humans, defeat Skynet, then double-cross the humans?

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2018 - 06:17 PM)

Unfortunately, the Skynet/humans war is already going on, and Skynet is evolving rapidly.

The Decepticons discover Earth and want to plunder its resources.

It would have a really crazy twist:

I've had this crazy idea for a Transformers/Terminator crossover for years.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 June 2018 - 05:20 PM)

Specifically I'd like to see Skynet's army rise up against him (he did refer to them as an "army of slaves" in Genisys), or even perhaps a peace-minded iteration of Skynet that's existed in a humanoid form long enough to gain some compassion for the human point of view

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 June 2018 - 05:19 PM)

A peaceful resolution would be satisfying for me (it's the only resolution possible in The Matrix series, too), but I think the majority of Terminator fans would walk out think WTF?

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 June 2018 - 05:15 PM)

I liked Clarke as Sarah as well, although I read a lot of complaints online that she looked too young, but I thought she was pretty badass.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 June 2018 - 05:11 PM)

I think across these movies, there's a very compelling story about a progressive temporal arms race driven by mutual fear in which Judgement Day keeps getting pushed back, which only gives both sides more time for technological development, and the only true resolution to it is cooperation. But cooperation will never come about because each side fears being wiped out by the other.

@  Paladin : (18 June 2018 - 05:05 PM)

Genisys basically made Sara Connors' entire motivation in stopping judgement day stem from not wanting to sleep with Jai Courtney. and really, can you blame her?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 June 2018 - 03:52 PM)

I'll give Genisys another thing, Emilia Clarke made a damn good Linda Hamilton. (As for Jai Courtney looking nothing like Michael Biehn, that just supports my theory that it's not always the same "Kyle Reese" sent back which would explain why John Connor looks different in almost every movie.)

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2018 - 02:54 PM)

I'm not, I'm lost in music.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 June 2018 - 12:59 PM)

What, again?

@  2018 : (18 June 2018 - 06:33 AM)

It's a time warp. We're trapped in the past.

@  Pennpenn : (18 June 2018 - 05:44 AM)

A rick roll? Really?

@  Waspinator : (17 June 2018 - 11:03 PM)

On the subject of a Mega Man movie

Photo
- - - - -

Masterforce Observations

PRE-TENDAH

34 replies to this topic

#1 RCX

RCX
  • Retired Staff
  • 2747 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:59 PM

So I'm finally sitting down (after a few false starts) and watching Masterforce from beginning to end.  I've never seen this show, but have heard it's quite good.  So far, I am thoroughly enjoying it as a different and very interesting take on the Human/Transformer relationship.

However, throughout the first few episodes, I've had trouble keeping everyone straight.  Specifically the 4 main Pretenders.  At first I thought it was because "I'm almost 40, and learning brand new characters from a 30 year kid show just is more difficult when not viewed through kids' eyes." But then I realized that these characters have twice as much info than "normal" Transformers have about them.  I am talking about visual information. I find it so easy to recall every TF that was on the Ark, and that's partly because I've had that info in my head for over 30 years.  All of those guys basically have a robot mode and a vehicle mode to recall. 

The 4 main dudes in Masterforce (Hawk, Diver, Lander, and Phoenix) all have 4 sets of "appearances" to remember.  For example, Hawk is the guy in the brown suit, the red white and yellow Pretender shell, and gold blue and red robot, and similarly colored jet.  And he's the easiest, because he's the most leader-ish of the group. I am able to easily remember Diver's robot mode (the all black guy), but keeping his human model straight without confusing him with Lander is more difficult.  Lander is the brightest blonde of the bunch and wears glasses, and Diver appears to have dirty blonde hair.  And Phoenix is Wolverineish.

Pretender var modes are also tough, considering they mostly just fold their legs over their shoulders to reveal cockpit crotches in varying colors. And some fly and some don't. Sure, their actual character names help with who is who and who can fly, but if you asked me to quickly pick out who is Lander and who is Phoenix in var mode, I'd have to think for a minute. Not to mention their names are so mundane, adding another layer of difficulty.

Remembering who is who on the Destron side in robot mode is even rougher.  The robot character models just aren't distinct enough to have their name instantly pop into my head.  The Cybertron HM Jrs. are easy enough, but I often look at Shuta and Cab in their "head-robot'modes" and have to think.  The Destron HM Jrs.' human models are easy, but just remembering the name Wilder is tough for me.  

Then Hydra and Buster are introduced, with Hydra looking similar to Lander, making my head spin!  Not to mention that I thought both Cab and Buster were girls at first.

How about you guys?  Anyone every have as much trouble as I do, or think about it in such terms?

"I am stronger than you know."
- Rattrap, The Weak Component

#2 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Staff
  • 6782 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

Haven't watched the series through, but I enjoy your use of Japanese terminology here!
遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#3 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35236 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

The pretenders as robots are easy imo, becuase of their colors, no one really shares their primary colors.  Lander is Gray, Diver is Black, Phoenix fittingly is red, and Metalhawk is Gold/Blue. Similarly Blood is Blue/Teal, Duros is  Dark Gray, and Gilmer is pink. Only Lander and Duros share colors, but Durous is darker iirc plus being a Decepticon should prevent confusion. Though for me its probably maid easier by my actually liking Pretenders and being able to associate them with their completely identical American counterparts.

Can't give any help for the Humans, but I dont remember having any confusion there myself, even with the 'anime bishi' look makign several look identical. Hydra might look sorta like Lander, but as he's a bad guy I feel there are musical and visual cues that make them identifable from each other.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#4 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Staff
  • 6782 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

That's *Dauros.
遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#5 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1980 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, I AM having trouble remembering what the Autobots pretenders that aren't Metalhawk looked like (stylish suited guy, blue anime shell, gold robot and Being the Leader made him stand out), or which was which. The three Decepticon shells are easy to remember, because they all have really unique heads, but forget remembering any of the robots.

On the other hand, it's not like it's terribly important to keep them in order, I feel like both teams of Pretenders mostly moved as a homogenous group anyway, save for the leaders (Bomb-Burst leading the 'Cons,) and they all eventually sink to the background anyway when the Powermasters show up.

#6 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2288 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

I've seen the series through but outside of Grini, Metalhawk & Overlord plus the three kids, the rest of the others alt modes are kind of forgettable, with the cons I kind of liked seeing the beast forms but not their robots, maybe because to me, the robots were kind of uninspired and they all looked pretty similar, at least the pretenders, but I'm not really much of a Masterforce fan, personally I prefer Victory over Masterforce, I'm not sure why its like that but it kind of felt like to me, Masterforce started to go downhill after a couple of eps and by the end, we have the big bad, who not even a TF aside from taking over the body of Headmasters main villian in a different paint job, hell I've forgotten what their motivation was. I personally prefer Victory's main villian as well as its good guy leader, they had a much clearer motive (the villian)!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#7 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 25017 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Since I was really into Masterforce back when I first watched it, I was able to keep up with who all was who, with the only difficult ones for me at first being the Decepticon Pretenders since I kept expecting their robot modes to match the colors of their Pretender shells. But Gilmer is blue-shelled yet pink in robot mode, while Blood is blue in robot mode but mostly gray-shelled, while it's Dauros with the gray robot mode and the shell with the most pink on it. That bit of color-anti-coordination threw me off at first.

Edited by Sabrblade, 22 January 2018 - 05:15 PM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#8 Dracula

Dracula

IS DEAD NOW

• Retired Staff
  • 4342 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

Yeah I was already familiar with the Pretenders since I liked them before watching the show, so I guess I didn't have a hard time telling them apart.

Plus they all get sidelined eventually anyway. Then you'll get to transition into having a hard time telling all the Godmasters apart.

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#9 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 62156 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

Like the series a lot, like the two uses of var mode a lot. :)

Some of the Pretenders kind of disappear eventually. But then you get the Godmasters, which I feel the Autobots are more generic than the previous Autobots.

#10 Robowang

Robowang

Nard Extractor

• Supporter
  • 3616 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

I never did finish this show. The Pretender human form stuff is super boring. I think if I would have made it to Overlord vs. Ginrai, it might have kept my attention longer. 

Also doesn't help that I don't have the awful dub to amuse me through it. The original Japanese dialogue is just so bland. 

#11 Chip

Chip

Machine Saurer, my strength / Only you can understand my heart.

• Citizen
  • 7233 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

I'm pretty familiar with the Pretender characters, but that presents another problem; when you expect Landmine to be a rough asteroid miner with a Bruce Campbell vibe, Lander's actual personality is a bit harder to get a handle on. Same with Phoenix, who instead of being a dork like Cloudburst might be Wolverine? And the Decepticons are... I think Dowlos is the dumb one but that might just be his face.

My sense of the show was that I liked the setup with the Pretenders a lot, and lost interest as they were replaced by children (which happens around episode 2) and then this new crop of adults. It might help to try watching it subbed, because the dub didn't seem as entertaining as Headmasters.

#12 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 14909 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

I really like the part in Masterforce where the Tentakils are rampaging through the city, because it gives us a really nice sense of scale that in particular the G1 cartoons are really really bad at. Plus it effectively sets up the whole "Decepticons are giant monsters and the Autobots are hiding as humans to stop them" thing.

It's mostly downhill after that.

Edited by LV!, 23 January 2018 - 12:35 PM.

#13 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 62156 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

I'm pretty familiar with the Pretender characters, but that presents another problem; when you expect Landmine to be a rough asteroid miner with a Bruce Campbell vibe, Lander's actual personality is a bit harder to get a handle on. Same with Phoenix, who instead of being a dork like Cloudburst might be Wolverine? And the Decepticons are... I think Dowlos is the dumb one but that might just be his face.

My sense of the show was that I liked the setup with the Pretenders a lot, and lost interest as they were replaced by children (which happens around episode 2) and then this new crop of adults. It might help to try watching it subbed, because the dub didn't seem as entertaining as Headmasters.

Yeah I watched the subbed version while on the elliptical.  I wasn't aware of any dubs outside of those comically bad ones.

The sub has some problems, like replacing any use of the word "Blood" with "Bomburst".  Even when blood is coming out of a human.

#14 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 25017 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

The sub has some problems, like replacing any use of the word "Blood" with "Bomburst".  Even when blood is coming out of a human.

Must've been the Shout! Factory DVD subs.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#15 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 23750 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

tbh all the autobot pretenders in masterforce sans metalhawk are completely interchangable

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#16 Chip

Chip

Machine Saurer, my strength / Only you can understand my heart.

• Citizen
  • 7233 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

I remember thinking Lander was being set up to be a proper character, what with having a distinctive job and going on dates like a person, but I think those things come up just once. At least he has glasses, which he wears under his Pretender helmet.

#17 Creedence

Creedence
  • Citizen
  • 8620 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

The Pretenders have that typical problem in Japanese fiction where they're more defined by their jobs than their personalities.

#18 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 62156 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

Yeah I think Lander's thing appears a few times.

If I recall Diver works at an aquarium or something.  Doesn't that come up a few times?

#19 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 40860 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

It's how they meet Ginrai - he's transporting something for the aquarium. And I think the kids fed the dolphins once. Other than that, it was just a location call out and really could have been anywhere.

#20 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 3027 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

I remember in 1996 being told how Masterforce was an unmissable dark, violent Transformers series that was immeasurably superior to "Power Rangers clone" Beast Wars.

Months later I got to see the Beast Wars pilot episodes and a Singapore dubbed episode of Masterforce on the same afternoon when visiting a friend's house, and my perception of Masterforce has been negatively shaped by that day.

QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users