Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (13 August 2020 - 10:31 PM)

Turns out the President set the whole thing up as a publicity stunt. Very rude.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 August 2020 - 08:11 PM)

The ninjas will go away, it will be fine.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM)

listen; i'm sure there were very fine ninjas on both sides.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 August 2020 - 07:50 PM)

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ninjas.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM)

Can we just let them have him?

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2020 - 06:18 PM)

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM)

At first, I obviously thought I was correct.  Then I thought perhaps the spelling had changed for some reason.  Copyright/trademark law is weird, ya know?  Now I just accept I goofed. XD

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM)

See, that one directly applies to me.  Apparently, I'd been misreading and mispronouncing it wrong for over 30 years... and I still slip and do it the wrong way much of the time.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

for the Internet age its the "Berenstain" Effect.

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Can you root for what The Rock is cooking!?

@  -LittleAutob... : (12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM)

sOmEoNe NoTiCeD-

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

I am the only one rooting for the rock these days?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

Photo
- - - - -

And Then They Fight (Comic Series)

158 replies to this topic

#61 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

I completely forgot to post yesterday. Got into things and when I wasn't busy with that I was working on the issues. So here's another 5 Filler Funnies, 41-45. Mixed quality like last time. 41, 43, and 45 are some of my favorites.

fhdfiad.jpg
41 is me being super happy to get that DeLorean toy I was waiting on for awhile. I still really like this comic.

pDZBjZD.jpg
42 is bad, but short. Moving on.

nWiXHm8.jpg
43 is an inbetween scene comic based on the plot of the TV movie Turtles Forever where the 2003 Shredder decides to kill all TMNT in the multiverse. I also had a custom made GI Joe Shredder based on 2003 version I wanted to use in a comic.

Gqm5aEO.jpg
In 44, the forum character was a slashfic fangirl, so this was having fun with that.

n9pcpVl.jpg
45 will be familiar as ATTF #32 is a re-edited version of it. I had just decided to continue TAOWAR when I finished that re-edit.

Reckless Fire is coming along nicely. There's some pages I can't wait to share. I got real flashy with them. Also fixed some stuff in the finale, Time Storm. Holding it back was a good thing.

#62 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:28 AM

Thursday already. Time's been flying lately. Got another 5 Filler Funnies, 46-50. Next week will be the last of the Filler Funnies with 51-55. If I need more time there's a handful of Specials to post, but I'm hoping to have the next new comic done by then.

jEH73Ro.jpg
46 - I had a long string of Mattel toys break on me straight out of the box, so I like making fun of their quality. This one's also a favorite of mine, though I feel it could've been set up better. And yes, that is the wheelchair Blade uses at in issue 36.

1GeyvLR.jpg
47 - This one references a customizer on Hisstank making Jonny Quest toys. Not sure if that thread even exists anymore, but the zodiac joke was based on the customizer's screen name. I should've shown a screenshot of it to make the joke more solid.

Bz0YRoi.jpg
48 - Another one of my favorites. Honestly, this one speaks for itself. I was planning to re-edit this into an ATTF until I decided to merge the comics.

pnjcatp.jpg
49 - Aonther simple one like 46, but better set up. Another one of my favorites. Gotta a lot of those in this batch.

5IzOMpJ.jpg
50 - I ad libbed most of this one. I was just happy to have made 50 of these and wanted to have Salesmen Megatron show up again to sell Enzyte. Fun fact, if you ask David Kaye what his worst voice job was he'll reply with "This is Bob." I can not remember if I knew this when I made the comic.

#63 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:30 AM

Today is the last round of Filler Funnies. Enjoy.

OG2qzzt.jpg
51 - The forum at the time got hacked and I was bored. I wouldn't call it one of my better ones, but it ain't my worst.

g9ap7js.jpg
52 - There was this one PSA on at the time that I HATED and wanted to make fun of. It was trying to use fear tactics that implies that if you do drugs you will lose control and will become a teenage parent. This PSA could've been an abstinence PSA or a drug PSA, but tried to be both and failed at both. It's not even an entertaining PSA like "This is You Brain On Drugs" was, so I don't recommend looking it up. 0Either way, this comic was so just a for me comic and I love it.

qYxHOiB.jpg
53 - Did I mention before that I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old? Also, Kup's line is from one of those all read along books. This joke ain't for everyone, but I still laugh.

7usXdBZ.jpg
54 - This was made before Ninjaman appeared in Gokaiger, so no one knew his fate at that time. I love this comic. It's among my favorites.

xwKaq2D.jpg
55 - If this looks familiar, that's because ATTF #15 is a re-edit of it. This was the second to last comic I made before switching to ATTF full time. Since I stopped posting TAOWAR at that time I re-edited it because it's a very ATTF like comic compared to a lot of the others. Anyways, this one is among my favorites, of course.

And with that I'm out of Filler Funnies. All that's left of old TAOWAR comics are 6 specials, 4 of which I'll be posting as the off weeks to new comics as I'm about ready to start posting the new stuff. The other 2 are holiday specials that I'll be saving for the holiday season. As for the new comics, I have tentative dates to share.

Upcoming Comics (Subject to change):
8/2/18: T.A.O.W.A.R. Specials: "I am Wreck-Gar" and "Lessons 1"
8/9/18: And Then They Fight #36 "How T.A.O.W.A.R. Should've Ended"
8/16/18: T.A.O.W.A.R. Specials: "Axalon Underground Heroes - A Dread Tale"
8/23/18: And Then They Fight/T.A.O.W.A.R. #37 - "Time Storm Part V: Reckless Fire"
8/30/18: T.A.O.W.A.R. Specials: "Botcon 2010 Report"
9/6/18: And Then They Fight/T.A.O.W.A.R. #38 - "Time Storm Part VI: Time's Scar"
10/2018: T.A.O.W.A.R. Halloween Special (TBD)
12/2018: T.A.O.W.A.R. Specials: "Bush's Last Night Before Christmas in the White House" (TBD)

#64 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

Today we have 2 one off specials.

PKzDC0Z.jpg

Just having fun with Wreck Gar. Probably should've just been a Filler Funny, but hindsight and all that.

pBtuGfy.jpg

Lessons was going to be a series of comics explaining the inner workings of the TAOWAR world, but I only made this one explaining GI Joe. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be to draw all those bunny people. Also, I want to punch my past self for "Raider-sama." I might try to do something like this again, just with less drawing.

See you next week for a new comic: And Then They Fight #36 "How T.A.O.W.A.R. Should've Ended"

#65 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:35 PM

Been fighting with the internet all day. Let's see if it will let me post before is crashes again.

Today is the first of the new comics. It's only 2 pages and just a quick joke before the big ones hit. Enjoy.

rkGJXYa.png
qYdhUHc.png

I considered ending TAOWAR in a similar way a few times over the years, but didn't because it's a lame way to get out of that huge story arc. Still fun to make the joke.

#66 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:41 AM

This week is probably the weakest week on the schedule, not because I think it's bad, but it's very forum character heavy. The comic was made to explain the events on the original timeline to build the Time Veil (way back at the first of the Paradox Saga). Only 2 of them were made.

I'm putting this here because it's one of the last old comics left and next week will be a big comic. This was guest written by Nexus Zero from said forum and he did a good job. All-in-all, I hope you can enjoy.

l89lwug.jpg
hjcvifn.jpg
XQyOBZ0.jpg

And then there's this poster for a text story I've lost long ago. I think this is the only old work I've lost at this point...that I'm willing the share, that is.

tZyOzdD.jpg

Let me see if I can remember the gist of it.

Starshooter and Icefang go to Transformers Animated's version of Detroit to ask Sumdac Systems for aid, but they find the city covered in fear. The only ones unaffected were the Dinobots. The fear was spread by Scarecrow from Batman and he was either possessed or working for Dai Shi from Power Rangers Jungle Fury. Starshooter, Icefang, and the Dinobots defeat Scarecrow and Dai Shi and get Sumdac's help for saving the city.

At least, that's what I remember about it.

Next week, And Then They Fight/T.A.O.W.A.R. #37 - "Time Storm Part V: Reckless Fire." It's finally here. I've been looking forward to sharing it and it's just the clean up issue.

#67 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:07 AM

It's finally time to continue that story from all those years ago. While this issue is mostly loose ends before the finale, I did put a lot of work into it. Enjoy.

IDmej8l.png
w2h3Wck.png
sYX0VbG.png
UTZRJd7.png
hS2TH1l.png
zZsUILX.png
Rbbn9DV.png
OmBDiKm.png
AlBPdhs.png
jNAk1ik.png
XRmRFa8.png
eWI6LLJ.png
zfczsxC.png
qCbB6HI.png
eQoOyJo.png
3qRyPpD.png
tDAc6C6.png
6Phazj7.png
IsK5rld.png
1cLQl7k.png
qCtmM5N.png

Next Week: T.A.O.W.A.R. Specials: "Botcon 2010 Report"

#68 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:28 AM

Today is the TAOWAR Botcon 2010 special.

ZGzfb9u.jpg
sjakiUB.jpg
5o3U2Jh.jpg
jDzafde.jpg
O2GUQto.jpg

-The only editing I did (beyond spellcheck) was merging the 2 cuts of this comic. One was made for a forum I had never posted on and I felt an intro was in order.

-In one cut, the Agent X joke was cut and I considered leaving it that way because it's just 100% stealing a Bender joke with no original spin at all, but it's still here so I might as well post it. If you want to see me do better with this set up, go read ATTF #16.

-Every toy I bought at Botcon 2010 appears in this comic somewhere. I've also sold a lot of them over the years. You might be surprised which I have left.

-Headmaster Don was always hard to cast because I never had a good toy for him. He was Energon Arcee the first time. I changed to Green Lantern because I sold that Arcee. Now I've sold that GL, so next time he'll be something else. Probably a Headmaster since TR has happened.

-It took 23 years and 1 day since the day for Headmaster Don first asked Hasbro to finally get Headmaster Arcee announced. No joke, I did the math when TR Arcee was announced.

NEXT WEEK: And Then They Fight/T.A.O.W.A.R. #38 - "Time Storm Part VI: Time's Scar" - THE OVER 40 PAGE TAOWAR FINALE!

#69 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:05 AM

And now the finale of TAOWAR. Strap in, it's over 40 pages. I've worked a long time on this and some of my favorite pages I've ever made are in this. Enjoy.

gehiEHQ.png
N9gwWb8.png
CoAjWSQ.png
GDHaay6.png
G54kVHK.png
XooSzrv.png
T5NRQHX.png
LfN03ua.png
2C3fq0d.png
JIKCsAk.png
wq8prUg.png
aXUlhNg.png
Vd2DWCC.png
bgfjVN7.png
YqvXMAv.png
OIw1E0k.png
oT85oZC.png
0jHygnO.png
ktjoITo.png
DgIMO6n.png
uSZvPg3.png
Vbw5V9j.png
MgJqm8i.png
fNabc7m.png
uiEDhES.png
iPEpEnI.png
acFVcAf.png
OlfYETv.png
WHHr69L.png

#70 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:08 AM

qy3rN3B.png
fWB29tE.png
CStMMhZ.png
xiNdlze.png
Zt4e4PT.png
OX8vVql.png
0Neq4SZ.png
9L8BpWQ.png
HmHUCep.png
2FEbM7X.png
M343RPY.png
zOsTcfo.png
8VHBdwi.png

So, what now? Next week I won't be posting a comic, but I do have notes, alternate pages, etc. I'd like to share. After that, I'm taking a break from the TAOWAR storyline. I will return to it when it's ready to be continued. For now, it's back to normal ATTF comics.

9/13/18: And Then They Fight/T.A.O.W.A.R. #37 & #38 Notes and Extra Stuff
9/20/18: And Then They Fight #39 "Diner Time"

#71 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:34 AM

No new comic today, but I do have some notes on issues 37 and 38 to share along with some alternate and cut stuff.

ISSUE 37 RECKLESS FIRE NOTES:
Page 1: This recap page was made six years ago right after I had finished TAOWAR 36.

Page 2:
Roz's backstory is inspired by Meryl's backstory from Trigun Maximum. In it, Meryl's father gives her a gun for protection against from men stronger than her. Some of the lines are paraphrased from that manga. Mainly the small size and evening the odds line. I was going to use direct quotes, but I was changing the context from dad worrying about his daughter being raped by a man (If you're unfamiliar, Trigun is a sci-fi Wild West manga) to a brother worrying that his sister might be caught in a war zone.

Joseph is finally named here. I should've named him long ago. You might notice that both Joseph and Roz don't have good shots of their faces. That's because Roz is just using the only little girl action figure I have and Joseph might not be his finalized toy.

Page 3:
I'll go into the details of Roz's Kai Blast some other time, but the one thing to note is that she used it once before and this is the "Second Bullet."

The first panel of this page was taken 6 years ago. When I shot Issue 36, I wasn't sure where some scenes would end, so I shot extra panels. This is one of them.

Page 5:
This flashback is partly to clean up some loose ends. I had set up that Robert's hand is frozen but never explained it. Archangel having a similar kai blast gave me the chance to explain both at once. I do wish I had made this scene sooner. I skipped a lot of little scenes like this that I shouldn't have in the Paradox Saga because I wanted to do flashbacks like that. They were a popular way to tell stories at the time.

Page 6:
This page was added after editing the pages around it. I felt the cutback from the flashback was to abrupt. Plus, this gave me the chance to add in Archangel's catchphrase thing and give Archdemon a parody of it.

Page 7:
Title: Reckless Fire, the opening theme song to the anime s-CRY-ed. The main character, Kazuma, had a super powered armored right arm. I think you can figure the connection to Archangel. Also, just realized that Kazuma attacks were bullet themed. This worked better than I thought.

The Kai Blast panels at the top are actually all in one GIMP file for Archangel's KB. Archdemon is just an extra layer so I can toggle who's KB it is.

I actually only have one of that physical flame effect, so in panels with their fists hitting each other, one is shopped on. Also I intentionally made Archdemon's bigger.

Page 8:
Okay, now for a rapid fire set of scenes for mostly clean up (and fun). These were originally at the end of the issue, but I felt it was better to end on the Archdemon stuff.

The Thief page was to introduce the Flying Wanyudo used in the finale. Thief's weapons have never been magical before and it feels very forced if she suddenly has one. While not perfect, this scene explains where that came from.

Page 9:
This page was originally part of the finale as the bridge to skip all the fights in Reckless Fire. This page would've been right after Thief asked Empp to open some Time Gates. Here's the original page:

Ve3OHwf.png

The top row was cut completely and replaced with Krang running away. The middle row had some effects redone. The bottom row had a line added to link it to the battlefield scene later.

Page 10:
This quick page of Tusk and Blade fighting Serpentor was a super late addition. 3 of the 4 pictures were taken 6 years ago. These were made as extra panels right after the big reveal. I liked the idea of using those pictures since they survived so long and it gave me a chance to more fully explain what Serpentor was. Plus he gets to beat up the heroes more, which I felt was needed.

Page 11-12:
Remember me replacing Springer with the Gen toy in older comics? Well, this is the main reason. I wanted to go back to the battlefield for a short scene where they fight Lord Zedd, the only Master to not have fought up til now.

Also, this battle is very much Hasbro VS Bandai. If you're wondering, Hasbro wins. Why? Because one of Lord Zedd's legs broke off during the photo shoot. Thankfully the only panel left with him in it was the one of him sitting, but I'm still pretty annoyed by this since I finally had a Zedd in scale with everyone and it broke the first time I got to use it.

Page 13-14:
Back to the Archs fighting. The Cybertron Unicron was the missing toy I had to find a new one of when I decided to make this. Why not just use Armada Unicron? He's Kind of big and would've made some things much harder to do. Plus, he wasn't fully Unicron yet and the deluxe was a good inbetween stage.

The muffin lines were added in editing and serve to lighten up this battle. Originally he was just going to talk like Unicron, but I felt he wasn't that far gone yet.

Page 15:
Scorching Feathers was a Kai Blast I had designed for Archangel years ago. Basically think of  the X-Man Archangel's feather dart things, but on fire. It's also worth noting that these wings were made to go with Archangel's upgraded toy and I had to do some things to get them on the old toy's back.

Page 16-17:
Diamond Vision was used once before as a partial joke when explaining what the original timeline was doing in the time skip at the first of the Paradox Saga. Felt I should bring it back.

The Pillbury Doughboy was something I thought up in editing and had intented to work, but after making it I realized it didn't work. However the visual of Unicron stabbing the Pillbury Doughboy made me laugh so hard that I decided to make it failing the joke. I'm really happy that I kept it.

Page 18-19:
So Archdemon thinking he's killed Wolfdemon breaks him out of it and this is when the comic was going to get super dark. I toned this way down from the original script. The script called for Wolfdemon being seen with a gun, Archangel and Wolfangel leaving, and then hearing two gunshots from outside the room. I think Wolfdemon sending them both into a void was more in tone with everything else happening and I'm glad I changed this.

I don't think I'll ever be happy with that final panel of this scene though. It just kind of rushs, but I didn't have enough for another page.

Page 20:
How's this for a messed up ending? Yoda and GP have been long time allies to the heroes, but now we know that they've been using the heroes. Also filling in a plot thread from waaaaaay back in the Zombie Go-Bots story when Aaron Archer said Gobotron was destroyed. Turns out the Sages unleashed Unicron on the planet.

So Wolfangel has been mindwiped by Yoda. Figured every one of the main characters based on people in my life should have something not good happen to them in this season. Blade had to deal with Scar Forte showing up, Star accidentally killed Yuna in his fight with Darth Nova, Archangel learns he's slowly turning into Unicron, and Wolfangel gets mindwiped.

ISSUE 38 TIME'S SCAR NOTES:
Cover:
First of all, the last edit of this issue was saved at 11:59PM the day before I posted the comic. The last thing I did was re-edit the cover.

The cover is a reference to Chrono Trigger's English box art that uses one of Akira Toriyama's concept art (and frankly my favorite piece of Toriyama art ever). On the TAOWAR cover, Blade replaces Crono, Claw Jaw replaces Frog, Seaspray replaces Marle, and Serpentor replaces the Heckran.

The original edit of the cover looked like this:
TPlE4xQ.png

While I'll never been 100% happy with this cover, I do consider the final version way better.

Also, at one point, the Thanks for Reading page was going to be the cover. Here's the cover edit of that:
WfWtG5Z.png

Page 2-3:
The scene with Thief and Blade talking before the battles began was originally 3 panels at the top of the 3rd page and they were 100% garbage. Don't take my word for it, here's the original page:

bPvmGRA.png

The version in the final comic is the best correction I made. It bookends the finale the way I wanted it to with Thief stealing the figure at the beginning and revealing she's alive and has it at the end.

In order to wrap this up more quickly, I created a plot device in Atra Deus' sword. First, it tells Thief who Atra Deus is. She knew him, but didn't know his name when told at the end of issue 36. Seeing the sword jogged her memory and her reaction is basically "time to run." The Time Gates were an added plot device to have an exit point for the heroes.

Page 4:
Darth Nova appears here. He's actually a bit of a red herring as I was considering using him to buy them time to escape instead of Leader-1. I left this scene in because I wanted to remind people that he was here and left unresolved. Until I use him again, you can assume he was erased with the paradox, but know that I have plans for him.

Page 5:
Blade's sword is changing forms throughout this battle, but I limited it to 3 forms, original sword, axe, giant kunai thing. The only other form change with the sword is when he form changes into the Raider form later. Aside from maybe the axe form, I don't plan to use this ability in the future very much. It's too much like Thief's Release KB.

Page 6-10:
Pages 6-10 might be my favorite comic work I have ever done. I had a blast taking the pictures, editing them, everything. I can shit on my own work sometimes (like eariler in these notes), but these 5 pages are why I love making comics. It's fun.

Pages 6 and 7 are a two page spread, though the forum's scaling might make it hard to tell.

Title: Time's Scar, the opening theme to Chrono Cross. Can you tell I like the Chrono games? Because I love them. In fact, there's a point where I referenced something different specifically because I felt I had too many Chrono references. We'll get to that later.

W. is back! Yay? It was on these pages that I realized that W. and Nega-Gnome have never met and I had to have some fun with that. There's background stuff with them throughout this. While there's one more scene focused on W. later this was intended to be his send off. I'm happy with it.

Then we begin the combo. Stone Passion Wack is the old stock photo of W's KB I've used forever. Just wanted to use an old stock image one last time.

I probably would've used Scorching Feathers in this combo if I had made these comics in order, but I honestly kind of like the Unicron attack better.

We end with what might be my favorite single page. Everyone with a ranged Kai Blast just unloading on Serpentor. Star and Scarlett use a fusion attack. Shortround even finally gets a Kai Blast of his own, Black Friday Missiles. Why didn't I think of this sooner?! When I added the Blow Out Sale sign was when I knew I had made something good. And the final panel of this page is the most Super Sentai/Power Rangers thing I have ever made.

The only thing on this page I'd improve if I could is the Overkill sign. It's from Final Fantasy X and I could only find the HD version that was usable. I would love it to be the original sign.

Page 11:
Exposition time. Needed to explain the plan to the main cast. This was originally going to be at the start, but I feel it better here since Thief needed to tell everyone else anyways. Either way, it's basically technobabble. I even used a Trek style analogy. Also wanted to address the wheelchair that disappeared and since Thief hasn't seen Blade since the battles begun, she doesn't know about it.

Page 12:
Now it's time to use that plot device from earlier. The idea here is that this paradox exists in order to bring Atra Deus back using a clone (Serpentor) and Atra's sword. The sword itself houses a trigger to make the clone into Atra. I never decided how exactly, but given his abilities later, I think assuming the sword has Atra's soul in it is probably what's happening.

As Serpentor starts to become Atra, I put his past faces floating behind him to make it clear that he was in fact "The Master" from season 1.

Page 13:
Worth noting that Atra is floating here. He can float like Magneto, but doesn't do it a lot because it wasn't easy to do. He barely looks floating on this page for example.

Page 14:
And we have Atra Deus properly introduced. I wanted to make sure that you got a good look at the new custom toys being used in this finale. Both Atra and Blade's Raider form have nice big panels.

Atra Deus customs parts:
Head, mask and cape - Darth Bane
Body - "The Doctor" Corba Commander from Rise of Cobra
sword - 1/144 Gouf Custom model from Gundam

I did make this custom around the same time as issue 36, so I've had it for at least 6 years.

Atra's personality a clam one. He wants to talk, not fight you, but he also wants to screw the world up.

Page 15:
Suddenly, Leader-1 helps us. I wanted to have a send off for him since I put him through a lot and this was the right turn for him. It cuts away before he dies, so like Darth Nova and others, you can assume he's dead for now, but I will not rule out bringing Leader-1 back some day.

Page 16:
Time to talk about the biggest thorn in my side for this comic: The Time Gates effects. In total, there are 24 Time Gate effects. A lot of these also had characters walking through them to. It was getting very tedious to do and I was actively avoiding them being in shots by the end. Still, I feel I kept pretty good continuity with them. Also, I've mentioned it before in another comic, but the Time Gates are taken from Chrono Trigger.

Page 17-18:
Setting up the final battle was a pain becuase originally it was not going to be in the Paradox Chamber, but inside the Time Gate. The idea was Blade and Thief would just be trying to get out of there and the close the gate on Atra. Atra would be doing things like blocking them. I like what I ended up doing instead, but I do hope to do a scene like that one day.

Page 19-21:
Theif's back story:
This should've been done sooner. Because I didn't do this sooner, it's all right here in the middle of the climax, but it had to happen. Couple of things about this backstory I want to mention.

There is one proper noun used, this is because I didn't want to overload this with terms because it's not impotant right now and I honestly didn't have names for a lot of it yet. The noun is the kingdom's name, Cygnus. While it is a name of a constellation, it's also the name of a kingdom in the game Radiant Historia. If you've never heard of Radiant Historia, it's basically Quantum Leap in a classic RPG setting. Go play it. It just got remade on the 3DS and it could use the love.

The other thing I wanted to point out about this is that I originally wrote King instead of Queen. Late in editing I decided that I wanted Cygnus to be a female monarch. This was just because pretty much every RPG, Disney movie, and the like always has a King or 2, but rarely a Queen Regent.

Blade's Raider Form:
"I'M A KAMEN RIDER!"...I'm not even sorry for doing that.

The Raider form is made up of parts from Kamen Rider Ex-Aid's SO-DO line. That line is great for customs. These are made from leftovers from the line.

Head - Para-DX Knockout Fighter
Torso, back plate, and arms - Brave Level 2
Chest plate and legs - Gemn Dangerous Zombie
Shoulder pads - Jet Combat Level 0
Backpack and belt buckle - Fuma
Sword - I actually have no idea. I have 2 of this sword and no idea where they came from.

I specifically used Dangerous Zombie parts because there is a bone design to them and it makes Blade look like he's wearing bone themed leg braces. Picked the Para-DX head because it looked good with the rest and had a headband like Blade. The chin strap also made for a passable beard. I really wish I had one of the Dai SO-DO bodies with the extra joints. That would make this even better.

So originally Blade was not going to get a new form this season. The original idea was that Atra Deus would be revived and the heroes would have to run. Atra Deus would be a full time villain in the next season. When I decided I wanted to have a more opened end story in the future, I realized I needed this fight to happen.

Page 22:
If I had known that Atra's cape would look so damn good in green, I would've painted it. Cursed Chorus came from needing a Kai Blast for Atra and a summoning like one just felt right. I've had these creature toys forever and wanted to use them. Plus, this got that cape off of Atra, meaning it was easier to pose the figure.

Page 23 and 28:
I cut back to the End of Time a couple of times. Archangel has a bigger role in these scenes because I made them back when I was still going to cut his fight with Archdemon. These scenes are mainly to act as a mid battle reset and let these characters that haven't met in the arc interact a little.

Page 24-31:
Not a lot to say about this fight. It's mostly ad libbed. I like how it turned out. Thief does seal the Cursed Mask as a means to defeat it. This means in theory she has that chimera in her collection.

The new summon, Thunderblast was originally going to be the big thing that Blade got instead of a new form back when it was about escaping. Except is was going to be Thunderblast twins and they were going to be based on the Shiva twins from Final Fantasy XIII.  I might add the other one later, but for know Southern Bell Thunderblast will do. She also breaks up the fight with some humor.

Page 32:
This is another page that I really enjoyed making. I wanted 2 panels and I wanted them on top of each other. I think it turned out really well and looks cool. Don't think it tops page 10, but that might be because I had to fight with Atra to stay strapped to the console.

Side note, the red crystal is right behind Atra. Make of that what you will.

The Epilogue:
A lot to unpack here. When time tried to fix itself, the world became one of 7 worlds. All of the worlds have names and different themes to them that I plan to reveal later.

Nega-Gnome was never meant to survive. He was meant to be an ally that would stay behind or something like that, depending on how the paradox ended. Due to everything ended up happening, he's still around. I would've given him a bigger epilogue, but he'll be useful in the very next story I want to tell with these characters, so he'll be acting as my tempt W. for that arc.

The epilogue's main goal is to end the stories for most characters in case they never appear again and bring it up to date with the real world year. Example: Archangel and Wolfangel do have a kid in real life, but weren't even married in the comic's year.

It's worth noting that Claw and Hanz are no where to be found in the rest of the comic. I was originally just going to not even bother with them appearing, but found a place in the epilogue for them.

Also gave a reminder that Jack Sparrow was still golden. This is mainly here because I sold the Black Pearl (and some of the figures) soon after taking the picture. It was the last chance to use it and I currently have no plans to resolve this sub plot.

Tusk's story arc is basically over, though I may have something to do with him and his son now. There's a time skip of about 10 years so Stickly is a teenager/young adult now. Haven't found it yet, but there's a story to tell there.

I like this way of writing W. out. It breaks the forth wall and Blade gets to lie his ass off to get him to go away. Side note, I considered Tusk and/or Thief to replace the W in the title by revealing their names to start with a W, but never settled on names.

Blade's epilogue took forever to get working correctly. Originally had written a much longer one where Thief just "lands" in town and it ends with everyone getting together. I didn't like that. Too long and kind of bland. Then I had the letter being a ransom note from the next mini villain, but that was to cliffhanger-y. Thief challenging Blade to take his toy back was the perfect balance between the 2 ideas. You know she's safe and it's an more uplifting note to end on.

Then there's the final page with the Sages. This page gave me so many problems. I kept moving it around to the beginning, middle, and end of the epilogue. Finally I just redid the whole page a few days before release. I like the new one much better. Here's the original:

TPyunLy.png

This was to wrap up some loose ends. Specifically to answer two things:
1) "Who is the guy in the robe at the end of season 1?" Gravel.
2) "Why was Gravel attacking Blade?" Because he and the other Sages were making their "Hero" to fight Atra Deus. Much like the Unicron thing, this is a little messed up.

I want Blade and the others to one day learn about this, but that's a story for another time.

And so TAOWAR is over. I still have the TAOWAR holiday specials to post later this year, but any stories with these characters will continue in ATTF. My plan right now is to do a Land of Summons arc that's 3 issues max. I have a simple story set up for it. I plan to do it the same way I did these two issues where I make most/all of it before releasing it so I don't have a cliffhanger ending.

Next Week: And Then They Fight #39 "Diner Time"

#72 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

Back to the basics this week with a short gag comic. Enjoy.

vLV7Zpb.png

Not sure what's next week. Might take the week off, might have another short comic by then. We'll see.

#73 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:30 AM

Surprise! Got a new comic this week after all. Just had to wait until Punch arrived. Enjoy.

NjfHIip.png

#74 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:01 AM

Today I have the cover and first page on Spy Troops to share. This will be a page a week until done, with a few exceptions. Enjoy.

GH37rga.png
H9n89Ly.png

Schedule for October 2018:
10/4/18: ATTF Transformers Spy Troops Cover and Page 1
10/11/18: ATTF Transformers Spy Troops Page 2
10/18/18: ATTF Transformers Spy Troops Page 3
10/25/18: T.A.O.W.A.R. "Halloween Special"

#75 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:58 AM

Spy Troops Page 2. This was the original one page gag that started this little story. Enjoy.

CZ0OHtu.png

#76 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:35 AM

csKbXiQ.png

#77 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 01:44 PM

No Spy Troops this week, I'm posting the T.A.O.W.A.R. Halloween Special from way back in 2009. Enjoy!

PZVPY5s.jpg
23ywXAd.jpg
qCOky5L.jpg
U7qd8Ad.jpg
iFmvnYb.jpg
vqko9GS.jpg
sw5dpWB.jpg

NOTE:
-This was written by Star the Wanderer. It's good stuff. I wrote some extra bits of it, I can't remember what though. If you see something unfunny, just assume that my doing.

-I believe this is the only time the Tales of the Time Thief custom figure of Thief is seen without her dress piece on. I upgraded her into the modern style soon after this.

-So I just realized I've posted Wii-PO's story completely out of order. Whoops.

The correct order is
1) "Bush's Last Night Before Christmas in the White House" (posting in December)
2) Filler Funny 36 "The Adventures of Wii-PO and Raider"
3) "T.A.O.W.A.R. Halloween Special"

So I posted the middle first, the end second, and will end with the first. If I had noticed this sooner I probably wouldn't have held the holiday specials back and posted all 3 together in order in one post.

-I had sent a picture to Star of a bunch of figures that could be used as costumes. I don't remember who's idea it was to use the Grimace as a ghost for W's costume, but it was the best choice by far. Side note, not sure how many of these costume figures I still own.

-The blue ghost guy is a McDonald's Silly Slammers that was one of my favorites. When slammed he would say "Now you see me..." "...now you don't!" Couldn't pass up using him in a Halloween Special.

-I know the Monster Mash bit was my doing. I think it goes on a few to many panels now, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't still like it.

-After the finale of TAOWAR, I considered making a few different comics, one was a sequel to this Halloween Special that would be a slasher movie style comic with Wii-PO as the killer. However, I was hitting burn out on TAOWAR story and characters, so I went with Spy Troops instead. I might make that slasher Wii-PO comic one day, just not right now.

Next week we get back to Spy Troops and it looks like November will be all Spy Troops.

Schedule for November 2018:
11/1/18: ATTF Transformers Spy Troops Page 4
11/8/18: ATTF Transformers Spy Troops Page 5
11/15/18: ATTF Transformers Spy Troops Page 6
11/22/18: ATTF Transformers Spy Troops Page 7
11/29/18: ATTF Transformers Spy Troops Page 8

#78 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:54 AM

Spy Troops Page 4. A little early, but I might forget in the morning, so getting it now. I previewed an panel from this page while I was shooting it a month or so ago on Twitter.

zwL4x17.png

#79 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:33 AM

Spy Troops Page 5.
4smNMYQ.png

#80 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts