Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (21 March 2019 - 02:16 AM)

To be honest they did ignore big chunks of the stuff from the movie. Also never had the balls to portray Jesus as a rogue Goa'uld (yeah yeah I know shut up).

@  Echowarrior : (20 March 2019 - 08:57 PM)

The original Stargate movie was okay for what it was. SG1 was a decent show that probably lasted too long. Atlantis was a decent show that could've lasted a little longer. Universe...gah. There were exactly two characters on that show that I liked, and neither was enough to help it in my mind.

@  Xellos : (20 March 2019 - 04:05 PM)

I got into SG1 right as season 8 ended. The Stargates were the last shows that I would make sure to watch every week. Since Universe ended, I really have not been addicted to any live action series.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 March 2019 - 03:12 PM)

The concept of the film had enormous potential, and the rest was literally writers one upping each other when they didn't know if they were going to get renewed.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 March 2019 - 02:40 PM)

Haven't got as far as Universe yet, but I finished SG-1 on Prime last week and I'm part of the way through Atlantis, now. Amazing how long it went on, just based off a single film

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 March 2019 - 02:36 PM)

Teal'c PI never happened but Teengate did.

@  Cybersnark : (20 March 2019 - 02:33 PM)

Indeed.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 March 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Yeah, SG1 is fairly and uniformely good throught out it's entire run. Atlantis isn't quite as good, but has quite a few good episodes, and universe wasn't a bad take on the more dramatic and outlandish aspects of the universe.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 March 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Man, I should've watched the Stargate TV shows years ago; they're a lot better than I ever expected

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 March 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Well, if the merchant benefited from it there's no harm, I guess. Some people just aren't comfortable dealing with foreign currencies; although admittedly those usually aren't the types who'll go to a place like Estonia.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:51 PM)

I gather this was an ad hoc sale with no machine around. Or the U.S.-Americans in this story were so entitled they didn't bother getting any euros for their trip. One hears about the latter phenomenon often enough.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 March 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Easier to just use a credit card with no foreign currency conversion fee. There are plenty to choose from in the US

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:40 PM)

Joke's on them because the USD-EUR exchange rate gave him a lot more.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:39 PM)

Just read an anecdote on Facebook from an Estonian guy who once accepted U.S. dollars on par from some 'Mericans who didn't change their currency when traveling to another country.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 March 2019 - 11:14 AM)

Try their TF/GIJoe comic. I dare you. (I'm sorry in advance.)

@  Fnu Aw : (19 March 2019 - 10:41 AM)

My first reaction reading Dreamwave was "What am I stupid or something?" It can be hard to follow what's happening at times.

@  Paladin : (19 March 2019 - 07:52 AM)

but enough about *INSERT LEAST FAVORITE WEBCOMIC HERE*

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 March 2019 - 06:15 AM)

He draws about as well as he runs a business.

@  Nevermore : (19 March 2019 - 06:01 AM)

But... but... it has artwork by Superstar Extraordinaire Paticus Funana Lee!

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:36 AM)

The second one,has a lot more interesting idea (A unified post war Cybertron, people viewing Optimus differently now the wars over), but in practice it's a disjointed mess.

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:34 AM)

I'd say the first volume is the most Meh Transformers comic I've ever read. Reading it I felt like I was skipping a bunch of pages.

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:32 AM)

You know I've been reading Dreamwave's comics and its not very good.

@  lastmaximal : (18 March 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Basics we can afford to take for granted. So let's cool it.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 06:07 PM)

Learning what exactly?

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Don't be mean. The kid is learning.

@  KidTDragon : (18 March 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Tucker has to have his threads approved before they'll post now? That's hilarious.

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 01:19 PM)

Tucker, it is the same thread that you already posted. I am not approving that. As we have discussed you need to submit different content.

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 01:18 PM)

We will look at it Tucker.

@  Pennpenn : (18 March 2019 - 08:28 AM)

[Replace adjectives as needed]

@  wonko the sane? : (18 March 2019 - 08:28 AM)

an unhealthy volume of paranoia seems to accompany most hatemongers.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 08:12 AM)

"Them" being alien reptiloid Muslim Zionist Atheist Sanatist Communist pedophile feminazis. Or something.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 08:11 AM)

His views are "They're coming for us!"

@  unluckiness : (18 March 2019 - 12:59 AM)

I don't think even he knows his own views, frankly. What with blaming Spyro and having the Navy Seal copypasta in his so-called manifesto

@  Pennpenn : (17 March 2019 - 09:27 PM)

Even in the general population there are those who share his views. Probably a significant crossover with the ones who blame Muslims for what happened.

@  Pennpenn : (17 March 2019 - 09:25 PM)

It wouldn't surprise (but still disgust) me if there was a part of the prison population who condone or even celebrate his actions.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 07:45 PM)

TFcon is returning to Washington, D.C. this North American autumn 2019.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 02:48 PM)

I bet he will have to be kept in solitary for the rest of his life for his own protection against other prisoners.

@  Nevermore : (17 March 2019 - 02:46 PM)

**** that asshole that killed 50 people in New Zealand.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 March 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Happy Street Atri's Day!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 02:02 PM)

That works too. The burger example was just fresher in my mind from another site.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 March 2019 - 01:52 PM)

"Paddy" is short for "Patrick". But "Patty" is still short for "Patricia", right?

@  Kayla Kaon : (17 March 2019 - 01:38 PM)

My name is and I take offense to this

@  Locoman : (17 March 2019 - 01:26 PM)

MY NAME'S! NOT! RIIIIIIIIIIICK!

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 March 2019 - 10:15 AM)

Happy Saint Rick's Day!

@  MEDdMI : (17 March 2019 - 06:39 AM)

Whooo! I can get some cheap corned beef now!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:55 PM)

While I have no ties to Ireland, South or North, I have been reassured by many Irish people of the proper rendition.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:54 PM)

Paddy is the diminutive of Pádraig. Patty belongs on a burger.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:53 PM)

PSA to all: the abbreviated name is Paddy's Day or Saint Paddy's Day.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:42 PM)

Another round of U.S.-Americans throwing around Disneyfied Irish symbolism for the sake of getting smashed.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:41 PM)

Hooray, it is Lá Fhéile Pádraig / Saint Patrick's Day once again.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek General Discussion

2765 replies to this topic

#21 (Deactivated) Smitty

(Deactivated) Smitty
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 27 2012, 06:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Smitty @ Nov 27 2012, 05:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(MrBlud @ Nov 27 2012, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The same time they figure out Star Trek doesn't need to be an action movie.

It does if they want "Joe Sixpack" to go see and not just "Tim Trekgeek" thus allowing them to make more money.

While I do somewhat agree with you, Smitty (Can't let the movie get bogged down in its own premise, or you risk alienating the average moviegoer) I can't help but point out the most financially successful Trek movie was Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. The one that was about time travel and didn't have a main antagonist.

Personally, I wish they'd find the balance they had back in Star Trek VI. A action-thriller for the general movie crowd, but with enough character moments and in-depth look at the universe to sate the fan's appetite for geekitude. For myself personally, Star Trek VI is when the movie franchise peaked.

But by 91 Trek had almost three decades of history and following. Yeah ti's good but with this new Trek they are starting over from a failed TV show that was four years forgotten.

Edited by Smitty, 27 November 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#22 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4935 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

And now they have almost 50 years of history and following. Enterprise getting cancelled doesn't just negate that.

#23 (Deactivated) Smitty

(Deactivated) Smitty
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Nov 27 2012, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And now they have almost 50 years of history and following. Enterprise getting cancelled doesn't just negate that.

Not to geek like you and me, but Paramount has to think about Joe Sixpack.

#24 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17587 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(Smitty @ Nov 27 2012, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Benbot @ Nov 27 2012, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to geek like you and me, but Paramount has to think about Joe Sixpack.

Which they clearly didn't have to do for the nine movies and five television series before the reboot.

I mean, Trek can't attract a wide audience. It's not like it was world-wide popular in it's heyday and has some of the most ubiquitously iconic imagery this side of Star Wars. Obviously what's wrong with Trek has nothing to do with poor story writing, badly fleshed out characters, shallow, cynical marketing ploys and an overall dismissal of the audience's intelligence.

It's just that it doesn't pander enough to idiots.

nzo8WYb.png

#25 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45040 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(ZeroX @ Nov 27 2012, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh no, the entire fleet with the exception of the Enterprise gets destroyed?! That's terri... Wait, didn't that already happen in the last movie?

No, that was only half the Fleet. They mention another one the Enterprise was supposed to rendezvous with. My guess is that'll be the one that gets destroyed this movie.

Starfleet insurance premiums have to be through the roof by this point. And don't give me any Trek claptrap about not needing money, DS9 wisely flushed that particular bout of idiocy and in one of the few things Enterprise I felt did right, made mention of the crew getting paid.

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Nov 27 2012, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Obviously what's wrong with Trek has nothing to do with poor story writing, badly fleshed out characters, shallow, cynical marketing ploys and an overall dismissal of the audience's intelligence.

Clearly what we need are more Enterprise-esque Decontamination scenes.
Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#26 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

• Supporter
  • 17587 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 27 2012, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ZeroX @ Nov 27 2012, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh no, the entire fleet with the exception of the Enterprise gets destroyed?! That's terri... Wait, didn't that already happen in the last movie?

No, that was only half the Fleet. They mention another one the Enterprise was supposed to rendezvous with. My guess is that'll be the one that gets destroyed this movie.

Starfleet insurance premiums have to be through the roof by this point. And don't give me any Trek claptrap about not needing money, DS9 wisely flushed that particular bout of idiocy and in one of the few things Enterprise I felt did right, made mention of the crew getting paid.

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Nov 27 2012, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Obviously what's wrong with Trek has nothing to do with poor story writing, badly fleshed out characters, shallow, cynical marketing ploys and an overall dismissal of the audience's intelligence.

Clearly what we need are more Enterprise-esque Decontamination scenes.

Please, Trek's been doing T&A since TOS. But I'll take Shirtless Shatner over Blank-face Bakula any day. George Takei wasn't so bad either. And don't even mention Jolene "Parasite Lips" Blalock. She can't hold a candle to even the one-off love interests that Kirk wooed in his day.

It's funny... Trek has had a long history of attractive women (and men). That really hasn't changed. It's just that, at some point, the Powers That Be ran out of good ideas. Or something. I honestly think Trek could work again if they just stopped being lazy about the stories. Give us characters who are more than just physically attractive. Give us explosions we care about. Give us some meat with those tasty taters.

And the fleet will be destroyed off screen... again. Because why have explosions when you can have a stupid parking-brake joke, right?

nzo8WYb.png

#27 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8338 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Nov 27 2012, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I'll take Shirtless Shatner over Blank-face Bakula any day.

Shirtless Shatner NOW or circa 1966?

#28 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Bring back Seven of Nine.

PM me if you're bored!

#29 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10538 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

If T'Pol and Hoshi Sato in the decon chamber (okay, so they were with Archer and Porthos, lol) couldn't make Star Trek succeed on sex appeal, Seven of Nine certainly won't. Especially now that the Borg are toast. I honestly prefer what the books are currently doing with the Prime Universe, so unless Paramount or CBS are willing to go back and make genuine Trek again, I'd prefer they limit these watered down popcorn flicks to the Abramsverse. With interesting books being released for the Prime Universe that are slowly retconning the worst Trek had to offer from the Voyager years onwards, TNG being remastered for Blu-Ray, a Blu-Ray release of Enterprise beginning next year, old Trek soundtracks and scores being released left and right, and a potential remaster of DS9 after they're finished with TNG... let JJ do what he wants with the movies for the next few years.

Not to say I completely disliked Trek '09... I just found it to be a better Star Wars movie than a Star Trek movie. The first 9 minutes of the next one will play in front of 500 IMAX 3-D screenings of The Hobbit in two and a half weeks, though, so some of us will get a chance to see a bit of what we're in store for. And anyone who doesn't will no doubt hear all about it.

Personally, I'd rather the antagonist in this upcoming film be Gary Seven than either Mitchell or Charlie X. Now that was an interesting guy, with a potentially interesting back story.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 27 November 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#30 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26383 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(Axaday @ Nov 27 2012, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is difficult to detonate a whole fleet. It could be done.

I have no idea how to detonate what they stand for. That would take a whole different bomb.

Maybe every ship's name is a different acronym and they're going to blow up all the things described by the acronyms.

QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Nov 27 2012, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I'd rather the antagonist in this upcoming film be Gary Seven than either Mitchell or Charlie X. Now that was an interesting guy, with a potentially interesting back story.

Star Trek versus Doctor Who? Count me in!

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#31 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Nov 27 2012, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It didn't work in the Xindi Arc, it's not going to work here. When are writers going to realize Earth should not be the center of the Star Trek universe?

The same time they figure out Star Trek doesn't need to be an action movie.

So.....never.

icon-screamer.gif

My petulant bitching aside, as they've gone on record saying it's not Gary Mitchell; odds are it's this Universe's version of Charlie "X" Evans.

Are the "Orczmann" duo still associated with this movie?

'Cause if they are, it'll still be "Trek Wars" and not a proper Trek movie...

QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Nov 28 2012, 04:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If T'Pol and Hoshi Sato in the decon chamber (okay, so they were with Archer and Porthos, lol) couldn't make Star Trek succeed on sex appeal, Seven of Nine certainly won't.

People liked Seven not just because she was smokin' hot - but because she could ACT, and because her character was interesting and well-written.

T'Pol? Not so much. Seriously, when the whole "emotion drug abuse" arc came along, I facepalmed. Then again she was not the worst things in Enterprise... (ahem... Xindi Wars... ahem... continuity)

I wish for an intelligent, cerebral Trek movie - much like some of the old ones that made sense. Sure, there needs to be action in it too, but it should NOT be all action. I kinda died a little inside when after watching the new movie with my 19-year old half-brother (to whom I often offered to lend my TNG, DS9 and Voyager DVDs), he told me afterwards: "Why didn't you tell me Star Trek was like this? I loved all the action!" ... I spent some time explaining to him how this is NOT what ST is about...

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 27 2012, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Odd, I thought Pine was fantastic as Kirk.

Though hands down, the best of the best has to be Karl Urban. I don't know what dark ritual he enacted to do it, but the man was channeling DeForest Kelly so well it got spooky.

OH yes. He probably had a mind-meld with Kelly some time ago. icon-hotrod.gif Actually, that just increased my disappointment with "Trek Wars" - all the actors, even 'Sylar' were spot-on for the roles (well, except for Simon Pegg, whoever thought he'd be a good Scotty?) - it's just that the asinine writing made them either underused or gave them totally different personalities (no, I will not forgive emotional Spock...)

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 27 2012, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I wish they'd find the balance they had back in Star Trek VI. A action-thriller for the general movie crowd, but with enough character moments and in-depth look at the universe to sate the fan's appetite for geekitude. For myself personally, Star Trek VI is when the movie franchise peaked.

Funny, I was just about to suggest that. icon-hotrod.gif From the Kirk era movies, that one is my favourite, even though I prefer TNG to TOS. It had a nice setup, a good antagonist, gave some much-needed fleshing out to the klingon race, and even helped Kirk overcome some character flaws and evolve by the end of the movie. That, and awesome space battles.

Anyway, I'll be disappointed if the new movie doesn't have klingons in it...

Edited by BB Shockwave, 29 November 2012 - 02:04 AM.

#32 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10538 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

Admittedly, having the Xindi play such a major role in 22nd-century Earth history only to never be heard from again (even though all the things that took place in later time periods were made far earlier, and of course couldn't have included the Xindi) seems a bit odd, this is hardly the worst thing ever done by Trek writers. IMHO, completely ignoring Andorians and Tellarites in the 24th-century was a far greater offense; and a completely avoidable one.

Personally, putting aside their anomalous introduction, I found the Xindi fairly interesting. And the books written since do mention them on occasion, though I've yet to read any with an actual Xindi character. It's possible the Xindi aren't yet Federation members, which wouldn't be entirely surprising given what they did to Earth.

#33 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45040 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Nov 29 2012, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
T'Pol? Not so much. Seriously, when the whole "emotion drug abuse" arc came along, I facepalmed. Then again she was not the worst things in Enterprise... (ahem... Xindi Wars... ahem... continuity)

The Xindi arc at least tried. I'd say the ultimate failing of Enterprise was the half baked Temporal Clone War. It never was well realized, and the culmination of it was Time Traveling, Space Alien Nazis. Admittedly, said Nazis vs Gangsters tickled me in the same way A Piece of the Action is a beloved TOS favorite of mine, but it was still extremely poor storytelling and an example of modern show writers coming up with a concept with no backstory or resolution to the concept.

It's especially infuriating because Enterprise is set around the time period of the Romulan War...and we only start getting a inkling of that towards the end of the show's run.

But to give Enterprise its due, its focus on Andorians and Tellarites gave both species some much needed attention.

Anyway, I'll be disappointed if the new movie doesn't have klingons in it...

Personally, I'm still burnt out on Klingon antagonists from the TOS era of movies. That having been said, I actually do agree with you. I think we need to "go back to formula" a bit. Starfleet on one side, Klingons on the other, with an objective both are trying to seize for themselves.
Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#34 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42002 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

IF there's Klingons to be had, I'd hope they have a bit more of the TOS personality and lose some of the TNG/Movie dramatic build.

In TOS, the Klingons were just intergalactic bullies. There really wasn't anything special about them; the were the bad guys and we fight them. None of the quest for honor or warrior's duty tripe that they beat over our heads repeatedly in TNG/Movies (Seriously, I cannot watch the TNG Klingon episodes anymore. Just so incredibly eye-rolling at the OMG KLINGONS ARE SUPER-BAD-ASS!!! of it all.)

So yeah, if they return, I'd very much like to see them simplified. (And possibly, like the Romulans, lose some of the forehead ridging. Not all of it, but something a little more subtle. Like General Chang and Chancellor Gorkon from Star Trek VI.)

#35 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

ToS Klingons were boring. You could switch them with ToS Romulans and would not notice the difference. The few ToS Klingons who got major roles were your basic moustache-twirling villains (and man, they DID have some large moustaches to twirl!)

TNG and later Klingons are interesting. The whole war/battle-centered culture, the "honor" system that is actually more about "who shoots first" then real honor... I loved Worf episodes, because he was like Grey Owl (Archie Belaney) - he learned what it means to be a Klingon from books and had an idealistic view of what a Klingon is. Hence when he meets with real Klingons... hilarity ensues. In D&D terms, Worf is the guy trying to play a by-the-book paladin thrown into a mix of people who play Chaotic Evil characters for giggles. icon-hotrod.gif

QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Nov 29 2012, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Admittedly, having the Xindi play such a major role in 22nd-century Earth history only to never be heard from again (even though all the things that took place in later time periods were made far earlier, and of course couldn't have included the Xindi) seems a bit odd, this is hardly the worst thing ever done by Trek writers. IMHO, completely ignoring Andorians and Tellarites in the 24th-century was a far greater offense; and a completely avoidable one.

Personally, putting aside their anomalous introduction, I found the Xindi fairly interesting. And the books written since do mention them on occasion, though I've yet to read any with an actual Xindi character. It's possible the Xindi aren't yet Federation members, which wouldn't be entirely surprising given what they did to Earth.

Yes, but to have a whole set of species, living in a semi-separate dimension, who attacked Earth and did more damage then even Klingons or Romulans - and for them to be never mentioned again even though we learnt they will become part of the Federation in the future?

Of course, unless they planned to have something happen to the Xindi wars, like that Timey-Wimey stuff erasing it from existence. BTw, on that note... did the producers ever tell anyone WHO the mysterious shadowy time-lord-guy was supposed to be whom we have seen since Season 1?

Oh and I forgot to add my biggest gripe about Enterprise - Vulcans. When I said I wanted Trek to explore them more, I did not want them to be portrayed as your stereotypical "holier-then-thou" arrogant High Elves - for all intents and purposes, that's what they were like in Enterprise. So much, that sometimes the writers forgot Vulcans are meant to be logical, not emotional, and had some antagonistic Vulcans be actively trying to discredit Earth or just being dicks with humans for no logical reason whatsoever.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 29 November 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#36 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10538 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

I like to think of the varying depiction of Klingons between TOS and the TNG era as being the result of our seeing them through the perceptions of humanity in each respective time period. And I suppose it's possible via a bit of retconning that the Klingons who did appear during TOS had a bit more resentment and hostility towards humanity than might have been typical (hence their almost comically exaggerated aggression) considering they had second-class status in their own society due to their human appearance. Possibly that's why ships crewed by Klingons possessing the Augment mutation were assigned to border skirmishes in the first place, since they would have been considered more expendable.

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Nov 29 2012, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTw, on that note... did the producers ever tell anyone WHO the mysterious shadowy time-lord-guy was supposed to be whom we have seen since Season 1?

Nope. I honestly don't think even they knew, lol. But wisely, the people who came in to work on Season 4 just ignored it once they'd used the Space Nazis to bring the Temporal Cold War to a close.

Oh and I forgot to add my biggest gripe about Enterprise - Vulcans. When I said I wanted Trek to explore them more, I did not want them to be portrayed as your stereotypical "holier-then-thou" arrogant High Elves - for all intents and purposes, that's what they were like in Enterprise. So much, that sometimes the writers forgot Vulcans are meant to be logical, not emotional, and had some antagonistic Vulcans be actively trying to discredit Earth or just being dicks with humans for no logical reason whatsoever.

I dunno, I think a bit of friction between two species that are so different is only natural. Both ultimately want peace, but you can see why humanity would make Vulcans nervous; even 100 years after first contact. Vulcans are so long-lived, they've forgotten what it's like to be impatient. Besides, Season 4 established that the Romulans had been interfering in Vulcan society, and it was never said how long they'd been at it. But considering they'd managed to establish a relationship with the leader of the High Command, it's probably safe to assume they'd been working at it for quite a while. It's entirely possible that the gradual shift in the High Command's policy towards a more aggressive stance was due primarily to Romulan interference. And since it's the High Command that governs all of Vulcan's official dealings with other species (with the average populace, logically, leaving it to those designated to do so), that's pretty much the only side of Vulcan we saw in the first 3 years of Enterprise.

Anyway, one of the funniest moments in Star Trek I'd ever seen was Archer trying to deal with Captain Vanik during dinner aboard Enterprise in 'Breaking the Ice'. Vulcans are good for a laugh, if nothing else.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 29 November 2012 - 09:45 AM.

#37 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

I wish they'd bring in some new aliens for a change.

PM me if you're bored!

#38 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

• Supporter
  • 17587 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE(14000 Years @ Nov 29 2012, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish they'd bring in some new aliens for a change.

Or maybe just use more than the main three.

I mean, we have Bolians, Tholians, KardashianCardassians, Ferengi, More races than I would care to count starting with T, and the like. Trek doesn't need NEW races, it just needs to make use of the ones it has.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 29 November 2012 - 10:17 AM.

nzo8WYb.png

#39 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16754 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

2009 star trek was awesome. I just wish its sequel was out by now.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#40 (Deactivated) Smitty

(Deactivated) Smitty
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

They kinda of explained that. One Vulcan said to Archer that other races were so single minded that they were easy to deal with, but Humans were so all over the place with their motivation that it almost scared them. He said that Humans reminded them of themselves. I recall he gave the impression that Vulacns wanted to guide Humans to the same path of "logic and reason" that they had found with with out all the troubles they went through.

Edited by Smitty, 29 November 2012 - 08:55 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users