Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (29 September 2020 - 01:35 AM)

Ever notice Kath SOucie's Janine in the later episodes of Real Ghostbusters sounds like Tara Strong's Sari Sumdac?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:10 PM)

I wish they were more universal like Beast Wars, Animated or Prime and as professionally done,

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:06 PM)

The Netflix shows are done for adults, the Generation toyline is for adults who grew up with G1.

@  Sabrblade : (28 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Who said it ever was?

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Whatever happened to WFC Earthrise being a kids show X'D

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 11:43 AM)

Cool, my last tablet couldn't run it, and I stopped caring by the time I got the new one. So thanks!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:27 AM)

There are crossover characters, but the amount and distribution... Marvel Vs Capcom this ain't.  If @wonko the sane? my bad!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:21 AM)

I've been playing for *checks account* 1002 days, 23 hours.  So, by 2021, it will have been three years.  I think it takes place in its own continuity, largely inspired by G1 but borrowing from other places.

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

@wonko the sane? Can only speak for Earth Wars, but so few they're easy to forget.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 07:39 AM)

Didn't they already do the across universes thing in that tablet game?

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:30 AM)

Also, make the setting an amalgamation of different Transformers series, rather than based on a specific one. Bring in things like 'Sentinel Major' as the primo Autobot jerk, and sleek car mode Vehicons as the Decepticons' basic grunt.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:27 AM)

KT just needs to incorporate the vehicle modes into the combat system, like Platinum did for Devastation, so they're for more than just wheeling it across the battlefield. =P

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:25 AM)

Transformers: Warriors of Cybertron! =D

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (28 September 2020 - 05:15 AM)

I want a Power Rangers Mosu. I would also take a Transformers Mosu. :D

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 September 2020 - 04:50 AM)

It even ended on a sequel hook.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 04:40 AM)

Man, I just want another Devastation game... =(

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 September 2020 - 01:53 AM)

Aren't TFs way more varied than Joes, as far as they'd work in gameplay? Like, Omega Supreme is vastly different from Bumblebee.

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

Hell, ripoff Super Robot Wars withTFs

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

IDK they could make something like FF tactics or Fire Emblem ripoff with Robots and i'd buy it

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 09:43 PM)

See, I feel GI Joe (with it's varied cast) is a better fit for a strategy game, where as Transformers feels more suited for a shooter.

@  Maruten : (27 September 2020 - 08:28 PM)

I might give them points for making a strategy game if it's actually a good strategy game.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:48 PM)

I mean, points for making a strategy game instead of third person shooter, but: urrrrgggg. Cyberverse.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:47 PM)

A transformers game for the switch? *checks* Urrrggg... cyberverse...

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 06:28 PM)

October will be a big month for Hasbro fans: Zoids, GI Joe AND Transformers all have brand new console games. All on the Switch at that!

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 09:04 AM)

At least in animated he was more driven than just "loyal bootlick".

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 08:29 AM)

Oof, That's a huge downgrade

@  Maximus Ambus : (27 September 2020 - 02:35 AM)

After rewatching Animated Sound and Fury, in my head canon Titans Return Soundwave is that Soundwave.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:09 PM)

On an unrelated note: I just got the BBTS email about kingdom pre-orders... and even the stuff I don't want I'm perfectly willing to get if it means I can have the rest of it.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:08 PM)

It's digimon. So first one, then the other.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

50/50 odds, it's either a helicopter with limbs, or a scantily-clad human with heli blades on their back. If female, 90% odds on the second one.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 September 2020 - 12:39 PM)

I read that as "Helicoptermon" and wondered what kind of Digimon that was.

@  Bass X0 : (26 September 2020 - 12:35 PM)

Helicopter-mom, transform!

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 September 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Aw I scratched the hood of my 35th anniversary Bluestreak. Fortunately he's in robot mode a lot.

@  Sabrblade : (25 September 2020 - 07:24 PM)

No decoration could improve the wall more than Knockout himself

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 September 2020 - 05:04 PM)

The wall could use some decorating, though. Maybe a nice shelf or a portrait.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 04:32 PM)

I'm laughing so hard XDDD

@  ▲ndrusi : (25 September 2020 - 02:31 PM)

He doesn't even mind this time. You know what? It's comfortable here.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 02:23 PM)

AND THEN KNOCKOUT WAS IN THE WALL AGAIN XDDD

@  Bass X0 : (25 September 2020 - 01:11 PM)

is an annoying stage in Super Mario World.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek General Discussion

4214 replies to this topic

#3841 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9527 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:13 PM

I’m really not feeling the Rick & Marty comparison. R&M has at its heart meta deconstruction and nihilism. This is starting out as a far more optimistic and grounded show. The sci-fi zaniness is milder.

Spoiler

#3842 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9527 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:57 PM

Lest you think Romulan whiskey was a mistake:

https://www.startrek...romulan-whiskey

#3843 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51875 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:21 PM

I’m really not feeling the Rick & Marty comparison. R&M has at its heart meta deconstruction and nihilism. This is starting out as a far more optimistic and grounded show. The sci-fi zaniness is milder.

Spoiler

Yep. These are sympathetic characters in a world with consequences that are grounded in the limits of what can happen in the universe of Berman Trek. And half the jokes are about Star Trek. I was cackling by the opening sequence as the Cerritos tried to look cool doing shots from the TNG and Voyager openings that turned into pratfalls. This is a very light parody that already has some character drama. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#3844 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9527 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:00 PM

The opening credits are great. They have the gravitas of a traditional starship flyby, but each shot ends with a gag. I hope they update the opening periodically to refresh the jokes. 

#3845 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Citizen
  • 23083 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:20 PM

My favorite part about it is that these pratfalls all just feel like traditional Star Trek Dangerous Ship Things but are recontextualized as pratfalls.

Edited by Cabooceratops, 07 August 2020 - 06:21 PM.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#3846 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 40587 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:14 AM

So the lovely Wife and I watched this last night, and I loved it! It was a good laugh and something light hearted that was good to sit down and have a good time.

I love all the TNG era touches. 

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#3847 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 18078 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:33 AM

I liked it. I had to get settled in to the frenetic pace but I'm looking forward to the show.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#3848 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27561 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:15 PM

Honestly I think the exact moment the show had me was the bit in the intro where the ship comes upon the big battle and just nopes out.

#3849 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9527 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:19 AM

I watched DS9's "A Time to Stand" this morning, the season 6 premiere.  I suddenly felt a new appreciation for Dukat as a villain.  When he was down on his luck and floundering to find a place in the galaxy, he and Kira were able to relate as peers.  But once he's back in his old office on Terok Nor with a little bit of power again, he lords it over Kira menacingly with sexual overtones. It's a power dynamic that I didn't really understand before #MeToo discussion brought it out.  She tries to storm out of his office and the door fails to open, and I could totally imagine that he had a Matt Lauer button installed under his desk.

#3850 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11834 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:47 AM

Happy Federation Day!

On August 12, 2161, in the wake of the devastating Romulan War, United Earth, the Confederacy of Vulcan, the Andorian Empire, the United Planets of Tellar, and the Alpha Centauri Concordium formally established the United Federation of Planets.

In ensuing centuries, the Federation would grow to include more than 150 member states, representing the shared interests of over 125 intelligent species, with a combined population of 985 billion spread over 8,000 light years.

#3851 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35038 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:38 AM

After that it would shrink back down to 5 or 6.

#3852 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52681 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:56 PM

It's 20th Century sitcom stereotypes on a 24th century Starship. That itself isn't entirely awful but explicitly making it canon REALLY drops my enjoyment of it down. Would actual human beings in the 24th century escape into a Turbolift to make out during Wolf 359? No, but sitcom tropes totally would because that's what happens in sitcoms.

card-strongarm.jpg

#3853 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51875 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:53 PM

1. Everything on TV or film is explicitly canon per CBS. The only thing that's more explicit about LD is that unlike Picard or Discovery, it's accurate. It's also a comedy. Do you need a character to show up at the start of every episode and assure you that none of this really happened? Because I have good news for you, none of it really happened. 

2. You know that all of Star Trek was in fact written in the 20th century with 20th century tropes, right? You know that none of it was in fact written in the 24th century, or with any knowledge thereof, right? (I'm going to ignore the 21st century contributions.)

3. Sincerely what

Edited by Copper Bezel, 12 August 2020 - 05:53 PM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#3854 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35038 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:28 PM

I think everything that happens on this series will be THOROUGHLY ignorable if you are of a mind to do so.

#3855 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51875 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:40 PM

I feel like including a Caitian bridge officer is already a concession that what happens in animation, stays in animation. On the other hand, if either another Caitian or the Cerritos shows up in Picard next season, I'm not going to have a problem with this. X ]

#3856 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52681 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:43 PM

1) Mixing genres while making BOTH THINGS canon to the same Universe is a good way to detract from both things.

2) Of course but TNG wisely made it 7 seasons without OBrians Mother-in-law showing up to bust his chops or Riker inviting two women to the same dance.

3) NO ONE outside the realm of television would escape five feet behind a closed door from zombies and then start making out. On the incredibly unlikely chance that did occur. One of them would not immediately stop and remark on the structural integrity of the door or how the wood isnt native to the region. That would however 100% happen in a comedy. One of the many reasons its kinda incompatible within a non-comedic space.

If this were taking place in a looser, more 20th century Federation Id be much more forgiving but it breaks my suspension of disbelief when they take about literally having a brewski with the boys.

card-strongarm.jpg

#3857 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51875 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:31 PM

One of them would not immediately stop and remark on the structural integrity of the door or how the wood isnt native to the region.

#3858 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1958 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:55 PM

On the Caitian thing, don't forget there was a Caitian Admiral in one of the TOS movies, and they did name-drop the Kzinti in Picard which was another TAS thing, by way of Niven.

The California class(which is the Cerritos's class) really makes me think that it's the replacement for all those lost Mirandas post-Dominion War.  It feels about as expendable.

#3859 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 18078 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:24 PM

The pilot was intense, but star trek can be anything. I'd argue it detracts from the franchise less than some of the things that happen in Picard.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#3860 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51875 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:33 PM

On the Caitian thing, don't forget there was a Caitian Admiral in one of the TOS movies, and they did name-drop the Kzinti in Picard which was another TAS thing, by way of Niven.

Ah, right, fair points.

The California class(which is the Cerritos's class) really makes me think that it's the replacement for all those lost Mirandas post-Dominion War.  It feels about as expendable.

I love this idea. I've never appreciated until recently how much the Miranda is the Federation's Liberty Ship. Venerable cardboard workhorse. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users