Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Benbot : (27 February 2020 - 10:24 AM)

I really don't like that guy. Show the toys, not your face. I'm tired of looking at him.

@  RCX : (27 February 2020 - 09:25 AM)

Toy Galaxy is excellent.

@  Benbot : (27 February 2020 - 09:03 AM)

I think you'll be save in Greenland.

@  CORVUS : (27 February 2020 - 01:12 AM)

Toy Galaxy is my favorite overall toy-related channel on YouTube.

@  fourteenwings : (26 February 2020 - 11:29 PM)

Last year's coverage via Toy YouTubers was brilliant. However, since YouTube's new (unfortunately necessary) guidelines the companies barely invited any of them back, so all we get is super-popular collector's info.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 February 2020 - 09:19 PM)

If it weren't for Toy Galaxy's coverage video, I would not have known about the Defenders of the Earth figures. New toys of Flash Gordon, The Phantom, and Mandrake the Magician? In 2020? I would have said you were smoking something strong.

@  Nevermore : (26 February 2020 - 06:32 PM)

So the question is... has Madagascar closed down all its ports yet?

@  Nevermore : (26 February 2020 - 06:31 PM)

A couple that got infected attended a Carnival event with over 300 people in attendance.

@  Nevermore : (26 February 2020 - 06:25 PM)

So the Corona virus keeps getting closer to where I live. Several confirmed cases in my federal state already.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 February 2020 - 02:20 PM)

Man, only having collector sites to get Toy Fair news from sucks. Did you know there is a 4" line of kids figures for the new Avengers game coming?

@  Dekafox : (26 February 2020 - 11:54 AM)

Since Omega already exists they could name it Auntie

@  Otaku : (26 February 2020 - 10:07 AM)

Oh, and one last Titan,provided we can fudge things a bit to include a character from Transformers: Animated; how about something at least resembling TF:A Omega Supreme?

@  Otaku : (26 February 2020 - 10:05 AM)

How about they find a way to make a mold they can use for both Broadside and Tidal Wave?

@  Maximus Ambus : (26 February 2020 - 02:13 AM)

Optimus Maximus, the mysterious titan of the Arisen, also Iaconus from Cyberverse.

@  TriBlurr : (25 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

I think the only other Titan class character that would interest me after Scoponok would be Tidal Wave

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 07:34 PM)

A Titan would have more room for other toys to hang out, assuming one has the table space for it.

@  Darth Gonzo : (24 February 2020 - 03:32 PM)

Play wise which would be better a Commander Class Aircraft Carrier Mode Broadside or a Titan Class Aircraft Carrier Mode Broadside?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 February 2020 - 01:53 PM)

I'd be interested in a deluxe or voyager Fort Max in Armada flashback red-and-green.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 10:49 AM)

I'd honestly be more interested in Commander-class Scorponok and Fort Max. I don't have the space for Titans.

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 February 2020 - 10:44 AM)

Make Commander class city bots to annoy collectors too

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 10:43 AM)

Make two Broadsides. One Voyager-sized that only turns into a jet, and one Titan-sized that only turns into an aircraft carrier. Piss off everyone on both sides of the scale.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Since they seem to also go by the oh-so holy cartoon scale thing, he'd probably be a Commander Class figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 February 2020 - 10:34 AM)

Broadside is an aircraft carrier. He should probably be metroplex sized.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 February 2020 - 10:21 AM)

Broadside's more of a Commander Class.

@  Darth Gonzo : (24 February 2020 - 04:47 AM)

I think Broadside should be the next Titan Class figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 February 2020 - 09:38 PM)

I tan nicely! But also have a family history of cancer... so... yeah, pasty for me it is.

@  Otaku : (23 February 2020 - 04:22 PM)

I really do begin to get sunburned after about 5 minutes of direct exposure, nowadays.  Side effect of already being pasty then going on a particular medication.  Yay?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 February 2020 - 01:36 PM)

It makes me burn. Accursed daystar.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 February 2020 - 01:33 PM)

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy....

@  Vexwing : (22 February 2020 - 03:26 AM)

I watched L.I.L.Y.Cat on there a while back, it was surprisingly good.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 February 2020 - 08:47 PM)

@Dekafox, no DTP, but they DO have LILY Cat ;)

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 08:46 PM)

For me, it's "chocolate therapy".

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 08:32 PM)

Tonight dough owns my soul.

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 07:28 PM)

Stupid, delicious Ben & Jerry's.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 06:42 PM)

Ahh. I remember watching Bubblegum Crisis 2020 or whatever.

@  Dekafox : (21 February 2020 - 06:25 PM)

Next you'll say they have Dominion Tank Police and L.I.L.Y.Cat

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2020 - 06:06 PM)

Bubblegum Crisis, going by several shouts down.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 05:38 PM)

BGC?

@  Bass X0 : (21 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Enjoy the fudgy icing of this Hostess Cup Cake!

@  Telly : (21 February 2020 - 02:31 PM)

harlock is on tubi as well. not dubbed though :(

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek General Discussion

3147 replies to this topic

#2941 Telly

Telly

Needs things explained to him sometimes...

• Retired Staff
  • 8417 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:17 PM

from the wiki

He was born with only one partially functioning kidney and received a kidney transplant at the age of 17. This limited his growth to 5 feet (1.52 m).

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#2942 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10015 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:23 PM

Depends on how much the visual/tech inconsistancies would bother you. First season I'd say was okay. Second season was better and had some episodes that actually felt to me like what I'd expect from Star Trek. 3rd season is up in the air(as it hasn't started yet), but the trailer seems to play it up like it's Andromeda Mk II with Burnham playing Kevin Sorbo playing Hercules in space. On the other hand it's the farthest point in the timeline that's been touched yet, since it's technically after the whole timeship stuff from Voyager/Enterprise.

To spin this discussion off a bit, I want to say I thought it was a missed opportunity in Enterprise to ignore the Temporal Integrity Commission from Voyager in favor of having the generic agent Daniels from two centuries further ahead. I liked the timeship Relativity and its crew uniforms.

WrOn94R.jpg

(And yes, I am aware that network executives mandated the unwanted Temporal Cold War storyline on the showrunners, which is why the storyline was so half-assed.)

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 23 November 2019 - 06:23 PM.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#2943 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 50786 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:12 AM

Such a waste. The one thing Enterprise really had going for it was keeping things small and concrete and having a world of threats that reflected something about the people facing them, so of course it needed vast unseen forces from the future throwing screwball plans at them in response to things that they hadn't done yet.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#2944 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 8417 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:41 PM

ugh. season 3 killed enterprise for me. i was mostly enjoying it until then. i stopped watching after...3 episodes i think? i didnt even bother with season 4. it wouldnt have been so bad but it drug on the entire season. half a season wouldve been more than enough. it wasnt until a few years ago that i finally watched them on netflix

enterprise is the first trek show i started watching but gave up on. not even voyager managed that

#2945 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5611 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:45 PM

Season 4 was the best season!  It was really the only season they attempted to tell prequel stories.

#2946 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12817 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:10 PM

ugh. season 3 killed enterprise for me. i was mostly enjoying it until then. i stopped watching after...3 episodes i think? i didnt even bother with season 4. it wouldnt have been so bad but it drug on the entire season. half a season wouldve been more than enough. it wasnt until a few years ago that i finally watched them on netflix

enterprise is the first trek show i started watching but gave up on. not even voyager managed that

I gather that others appreciated that season-long arc, but I'm with you. (except that I did stick around for S4)

#2947 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27135 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:11 PM

I've occasionally had people tell me season 3 is When Enterprise Gets Good. The cargo cult of serialization over so-called "filler" is a hell of a drug.

#2948 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 8417 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:44 PM

it wouldnt have been so bad had they not been in the expanse for the whole thing. ds9 did serialization great

#2949 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46993 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:55 PM

Enterprise got progressively better over its run, but getting better and being good are two separate things. With the exception of the Terra Firma two parter (Which really ought to have been the series opener), Season 4 submersed itself in references to the point of undermining its own stories. Their Mirror Universe two parter is some of the most painful Trek imaginable to watch. When you take Season 4 as a whole, it really is no wonder that their own series finale ended up being a TNG episode.

#2950 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 818 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:37 AM

Season 3 was just too much Grimdark. Star Trek is, should be, a fundamentally optimistic show. Even in the darkest parts of the Dominion War, there was light and hope. Look at season 6. Sure, there were runs of dark episodes, but they always made sure to include some more light-hearted stuff. Sacrifice of Angels was followed by You Are Cordially InvitedWaltz is bracketed by two (good) Ferengi comedy episodes; even In the Pale Moonlight is somewhat blunted by being followed up by what's essentially a musical episode, His Way. The war is always there, but it can't be at the front the whole time, because then the show stops being Star Trek. Season 3 of Enterprise was nothing but about how awful everything is, all the time. Even the episodes not 'directly' related to the arc - because everything in the season comes back to The Expanse in some way - are still just 'normal' serious episodes. Doctor's Orders is the only episode I can think of that's in any way lighthearted.

Season 4 is just fan-wank. Sometimes okay fan-wank, but always let down by itself. Followers of Khan dealing with Orion Slave Girls and being helped by a Soong; Why Do Some Klingons Have Smooth Foreheads; Babel and Tellarites... Observer Effect is a good episode which shits itself at the last minute by revealing that it's actually about the Organians. A Mirror episode that misses the point of Mirror episodes that simultaneously breaks the MU. I could go down the entire season and make the whole lot better by removing all the references. Except Dedalus, which seemed much more like a season 2 episode and was just bad.

#2951 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5611 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:50 AM

Maybe I don't understand the mirror universe.  Can you explain how do the mirror episodes of Enterprise miss the point and break the mirror universe?

#2952 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39517 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:11 AM

Isn't the mirror universe just evil humans doing whatever they please, enslaving aliens, strip mining worlds, and basically just generic evil stuff?

I actually liked Enterprise's contributions to the mirrorverse. I liked how they showed the alternate history in the credits, and showed the alternate first contact. Humans with unfettered access to Vulcan technology, as opposed to how the Vulcans kept humans at a slow pace in the prime time line, turn themselves into the Terran empire and conquer a lot of territory fast. I imagine that the TOS Defiant greatly increased their expansion rate. It all made for an interesting story as it showed more reasons why the Terrans were hated by everyone and why they were enslaved they were overthrown.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#2953 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 50786 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:15 AM

I honestly kinda thought the mirror universe existed to make a self-indulgent story about a hammily evil version of any given series' main cast, which the Enterprise treatment seemed admirably faithful to.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#2954 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5611 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

Isn't the mirror universe just evil humans doing whatever they please, enslaving aliens, strip mining worlds, and basically just generic evil stuff?

Isn't that what we do now?  [comes to shocking realization]

#2955 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9335 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:39 PM

I generally liked the first two seasons of Enterprise the best.  When it's not saddled with the TCW, it's about humans bumbling cluelessly but optimistically around the universe.  To me, that's a good use of a Star Trek story set at the dawn of deep space travel.

Season 3 was the post-9/11 story, full of humans making bad decisions.  A good Star Trek 9/11 story would have had humans succeeding by rising up and making connections.  Instead, they went with a parallel of the real world, which is bad.

I agree with those who think that season 4 was trying too hard to reference Star Trek.  On top of that, the multi-part episodes often felt like they were stretching the story too thin.

#2956 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10713 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:59 PM

I was so-so on Enterprise during its first run, with the exception of the fourth season, which I enjoyed a lot (despite the obvious fan-wankiness). When I finally went back and re-watched the whole series after buying it on blu-ray, I enjoyed it much more. 

It did a lot of things right... I liked the actual design of the NX-01, and the aesthetic of its interiors. It seemed to find the perfect balance of advanced and primitive to seem believably pre-TOS. Unlike most previous Trek series, the actors didn't go through that awkward period where they had to find their characters; whether you liked the characters or not, the acting was pretty solid right from the get-go. And the effects were (at the time) damn good for a Trek TV series, although Discovery has obviously blown those out of the water with its bizarrely high budget. There are also a decent number of gems in among the first 3 seasons... some truly mediocre ones as well, for sure, but ENT had its moments. Looking back, it was light-years better than Voyager, which only had the talented Robert Picardo going for it.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 26 November 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#2957 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52259 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:39 PM

Enterprise was on the whole irredeemable garbage and remains the only series I wont purchase.

This is coming from someone with TAS on DVD and Blu.

If you personally liked it thats great but it was so objectively bad it almost killed the franchise.

Edited by MrBlud, 26 November 2019 - 11:40 PM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#2958 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 50786 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:23 AM

I don't understand where TAS and Enterprise belong in any comparison. TAS is an extension of TOS with some give and take and very comparable in quality, with the disadvantage of rudimentary animation and the advantage of weirder aliens, personal force fields, and all the other stuff they couldn't do in live action at the time, plus a more compressed format that kinda works better than the full hour for a series like this. The writing and acting pretty much just translate.

If we're taking series as wholes, the only relevant comparison for Enterprise is Voyager. And yeah, like it or not, while the writing in both was irredeemable shit on a per-episode as well as a series arc basis, to say nothing of each being founded on a premise that it didn't have the stones to even attempt to execute, the Enterprise crew at least had chemistry, and that counts for something when there's at least a little bit of "fun" and "likeable" floating around to soften the onslaught of dumb. (Edit: To think of it, that's kinda Disco, too, just ratcheted up to 11 for each.)

And no matter how "objective" anyone claims they are, the things that sunk Enterprise ratings are almost certainly not the same concerns you or I would have.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 27 November 2019 - 01:27 AM.

#2959 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:31 AM

The point of Mirror episodes isn't 'evil people do wacky things', it's 'watch our characters react to versions of themselves and their friends... who are evil and do wacky things'. If there's no 'normal' characters around, then there's no stakes, nobody to support, nobody to compare with. And in the end, it doesn't affect the normal characters at all, so it was all for nothing. Also, if you have to flip a table to make everything interesting, maybe there's a deeper problem...  I feel the same way about Twilight in season 3, for the record. Good episode, but nothing to do with anything else, no lasting consequences.

As for 'breaking' things, I mostly mean the Defiant and all the implications that would have on the history of the universe, which doesn't fit with how it's shown in Mirror, Mirror. It's implausible enough that the two Enterprises with the same crews would be in orbit around the same planet, without giving one of those a century jumpstart on technology and history.

Actually... something like the Kelvin movies or Discovery would be what I'd expect, only with more evil. And fewer assholes.

#2960 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52259 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:42 PM

If we're taking series as wholes, the only relevant comparison for Enterprise is Voyager. And yeah, like it or not, while the writing in both was irredeemable shit on a per-episode as well as a series arc basis, to say nothing of each being founded on a premise that it didn't have the stones to even attempt to execute, the Enterprise crew at least had chemistry, and that counts for something when there's at least a little bit of "fun" and "likeable" floating around to soften the onslaught of dumb. (Edit: To think of it, that's kinda Disco, too, just ratcheted up to 11 for each.)

So does actually looking like a Star Trek show. Which Voyager had but Enterprise didnt.

Fans would stick with something that at least approximates stuff they like for seven seasons. If you remove that, all youre left with is...cast chemistry I guess. Which looks to net you about four seasons.

card-strongarm.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users