Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM)

Or you'd have a lot of people lying about their emotional state to avoid being executed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 11:18 AM)

That would actually be a massive step up: since there's a LOT of stuff needed to quantify happiness, and it could only be an improvement over the existing governments which actually don't care if you live or die, never mind if you're "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 10:02 AM)

Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Failure to be happy is treason. Have a nice daycycle!

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 01:46 AM)

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

@  MrBlud : (14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM)

Humanity is pretty forgiving if you take care of its basic needs. "Freedom" and "Privacy" don't have much hold when you can't afford food, shelter, or medicine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 03:29 PM)

Something something peace through tyranny.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM)

You probably will have a house, AI overseers will crack down on stress, poverty, homelessness and human administration.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:36 PM)

The bad news is they'll probab;y be made and operated by Amazon so will record every single thing you do and transmit it to their datacenters so theycan have human operators sift through it and laugh at footage of you dancing in your socks or having intercourse.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

What if I don't have a house by then?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

If the robot will do the cleaning, I don't care if it's mandatory. I'm sick of moping floors.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM)

humanoid service robots, one for every house in the west. ETA: 2050. household robots will be mandatory.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

All I know is it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Big ones? Small ones? Ones as big as your head?

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 12:22 PM)

The robots are pink. Someone call Yoshimi!

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek General Discussion

2909 replies to this topic

#2861 tec

tec

My love to KyoAni

• Supporter
  • 30714 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:58 PM

Woah hey HEY I just noticed something in the DS9 ep The Search

Odo had been shapeshifting all over the ep and at the end Kira tap HIS combadge to beam back up to the Defiant

But how can that be whats the in house explanation for his combadge to to work?

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#2862 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7992 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:43 PM

the same way it works for all the other seasons hes not a solid: it just does

i think garak used odos communicator as well in an episode. i dont remember which one, but im thinking it was the one where odo was taken to the founders homeworld to be judged (or one leading up to that anyway)

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#2863 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1220 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:48 PM

Could he have had the communicating floating somewhere there in all the middle of the shifter goo, when he was in all the other shapes? And when it looks like it forms, that's just the covering for it flowing away to leave it in the right spot.

#2864 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11209 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:56 PM

Or maybe combadges are simple enough that he can replicate them just like he reproduces eyes and eardrums and vocal chords.

#2865 tec

tec

My love to KyoAni

• Supporter
  • 30714 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:58 PM

Combadges are not "simple" there packed with tech there be no way that Odo who had issues with human faces could duplicate the tech

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#2866 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49771 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:12 PM

To be fair, he can, unlike the T-1000, change his mass. We might not give his shapeshifting abilities enough credit. And after all, all the other Changelings looked like him. Maybe he thought he was trying to emulate a human appearance but actually he was preprogrammed for the face bumps.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#2867 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11209 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:27 PM

Except that the tech is always the exact same pieces in the exact same shape, in the exact same place, in the exact same proportions. We've seen that he has no problem with inanimate objects. The hard part would be the sarium-krellide power cell, and he could probably fake that by altering chemical structures to shove ions around, like a self-recharging battery.

Faces are hard because everything moves and varies from person to person.

(Also, Odo was never trying to make a human face. He lived on Bajor, surrounded by Bajorans.)

#2868 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49771 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:19 PM

And he just forgot about the nose ridges every time? I've no doubt they're less conspicuous to Bajorans than to humans but seriously, they're still kinda hard to miss if he's actually trying to avoid speed skiing down the local uncanny valley. 

I don't remember him turning into functional devices - was that a thing he did elsewhere? I know that the cost of goop animation forced his transformations to be very limited and he wouldn't have just turned into a tricorder when someone left theirs at home in an away team, but were there examples of him doing something like that?

Edited by Copper Bezel, 24 July 2019 - 11:19 PM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#2869 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:10 AM

Odo's commbadge always turns into goo when he changes. We even see a half and half in Way of the Warrior, when he 'kills' Bashir during the drill. And we know that Odo can turn into animals without looking unfinished. I always felt that it wasn't faces in general he had a problem with, it was making a face for himself.

#2870 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10372 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:58 AM

I think it was established in a Q&A in a magazine that Odo's commbadge is floating around whenever he's in his bucket. Logically, he pulls it into himself when he turns into something else, then pushes it back out whenever he assumes his humanoid shape. So he doesn't replicate that.

He replicates his clothes, but he doesn't replicate that. MST3K Mantra, I guess.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#2871 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5194 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, I think that's even explicitly stated in the show.

#2872 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49771 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

It honestly never occurred to me that it could be anything but an ordinary comm badge he was wearing. I definitely wouldn't look to the costly and rudimentary special effects as an authoritative source on the subject, and any time he does something that doesn't quite make sense if there's a comm badge in there is very likely to be a writer either forgetting or opting to ignore it for the sake of the story. 

The alternative I'd never considered, that Odo is capable of manifesting a transponder and emulating a computer to run it, is not attractive. I mean, he'd never actually need to tap the comm badge or speak into it, he could just send whatever message he wanted.

#2873 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25211 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:01 PM

How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Compensation Circuit work?

Just fine thank you
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#2874 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49771 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:37 PM

Hey, here's one. How about the fact that every time they go from full impulse (which is relativistically fast) directly to warp they should time travel, since their light cone is rotated by the fact of their relativistic speed at the point of departure from normal physics? X ]

#2875 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25211 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:53 PM

It makes the pretty lights go faster
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#2876 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3173 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:59 AM

Whenever he shapeshifts Odo keeps his combadge up the approximation of his butt.

#2877 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38918 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:52 AM

There is an episode that says whenever you scan a changling that is a chair, you only see a chair. (The episode where Sisko and Odo are on Earth)

Given that we have seen another changling turn into literal fire, I don't think that Odo will have trouble turning into a comm badge.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#2878 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1906 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

I can't believe I missed this

https://www.youtube....h?v=Yn0ij4nDEJc

"Expect me when I arrive" - G'kar
Ryougabot

#2879 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5194 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:58 AM

CBS and Viacom are remerging:

https://www.theverge...streaming-value

Does this mean there will be an end to this ridiculous merchandising firewall between the new shows and "classic" Star Trek and there will be at long last visual continuity?

#2880 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12535 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

CBS and Viacom are remerging:

https://www.theverge...streaming-value

Does this mean there will be an end to this ridiculous merchandising firewall between the new shows and "classic" Star Trek and there will be at long last visual continuity?

Intrigued that the article specifically calls out Transformers.

As much as I dislike the Bayverse movies, it's a fairly significant call-out.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users