Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 May 2020 - 09:19 AM)

Yes, and its ongoing.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (29 May 2020 - 01:05 AM)

Cyberverse is already officially uploaded to YouTube.

@  fourteenwings : (29 May 2020 - 12:36 AM)

Spin Master is abridging current episodes of Bakugan Armored Alliance and posting the result on YouTube. Maybe Hasbro does that someday too.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 May 2020 - 10:59 PM)

I see... :/

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 08:14 PM)

Within the US anyway. Those channels aren't easy or cheap to access in other countries, and their website often region lock content. Tubi is the only good thing on that list: largely identical (but not perfectly so. Damnit. I wanna watch COPS.) country to country and free.

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:24 PM)

So yeah, Hasbro is using plenty of venues to spread exposure of their brands

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Starz currently licenses Transformers G1 and the GI Joe movie (as well as MLP specials). Netflix has more current series available.

@  Nevermore : (28 May 2020 - 07:21 PM)

Study shows: Holders of the title "world's oldest person" have a severely increased risk of dying.

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:18 PM)

Tubi TV and Youtube both host various Hasbro cartoons. Both are freely accessed and ad supported. Any basic TV package (barring straight antenna) includes channels like USA Network, SyFy and FX, all of which regularly air the films from Transformers and GI Joe.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 06:18 PM)

I dunno what to tell you, media might be changing slowly, but at least it's still accessible. Even the folks that DON'T get one of the streaming services can watch it on the company website. It's a vehicle for the toy line after all, they need to make an effort to make it as consumable as possible.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 May 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Well. Thats said, then.... I guess... :doh

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 04:13 PM)

As long as the the cartoons are profitable, then they'll make more. The media it's shown on is completely irrelevant. I say that as a guy whose earliest surviving memory is a big red truck turning into a big red robot.

@  ZakuConvoy : (28 May 2020 - 03:06 PM)

Might be the end of an era. With the rise of streaming, who knows if Transformers will ever be on broadcast TV again.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 May 2020 - 11:46 AM)

3 seasons on a show is usually enough... but yeah ;-;

@  Roddie Luver : (27 May 2020 - 09:37 PM)

I’m also sad Cyberverse has no season four.

@  Paladin : (26 May 2020 - 08:10 PM)

it's too hugging hot today.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 May 2020 - 03:39 PM)

I'll agree with you on that.

*Figured -_-

I fugured

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 May 2020 - 01:37 PM)

I'm actually sad Cyberverse won't get another season. 2 and 3 (of what I've seen) have REALLY nailed it in being fun little actions shows, like the Sunbow series.

@  Rycochet : (25 May 2020 - 01:00 PM)

Yes.

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 May 2020 - 12:52 PM)

I'm waiting for Animated season 4. Am I insane?

@  wonko the sane? : (25 May 2020 - 11:22 AM)

I'm waiting for the next season to show up on netflix.

@  Sabrblade : (25 May 2020 - 10:59 AM)

Many of us have already watched the rest of the Cyberverse episodes since the whole third season aired in the UK last September.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 May 2020 - 10:18 AM)

*9th

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 May 2020 - 10:17 AM)

I just saw the 8th episode... omg

@  Bass X0 : (25 May 2020 - 01:28 AM)

Already seen it online.

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 09:42 PM)

Who's excited for tomorrow? The only thing that makes Monday worth it is the Cyberverse episodes .-.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 May 2020 - 12:30 PM)

Welcome. I just came into that trick myself recently, so happy to share.

@  Nevermore : (24 May 2020 - 12:05 PM)

Thanks, wonko the sane? for the tip with the cloning. That helped a lot!

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 12:02 PM)

Heheh.... yes... I don't think a sniper would be very good at making a vaccine... 0.0

@  Nevermore : (24 May 2020 - 11:48 AM)

All right! Cloning my old HHD to an SSD and then swapping out the drive was successful, it would appear. Finally.

@  Bass X0 : (24 May 2020 - 11:30 AM)

Scientist Perceptor is. Sniper Perceptor less so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 10:51 AM)

Perceptor would be more responsible.

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 10:48 AM)

Oof x~x

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2020 - 10:45 AM)

He'd cure the virus, but he'd probably commit at least two crimes against nature and weaponize a third in the process.

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 09:39 AM)

'Horrible consequences' would most likely happen with Brainstorm...

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 08:16 AM)

Totally. And Percy's not even human. XD

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2020 - 06:50 AM)

Can't do much worse than our current government, I say go for it.

@  Sabrblade : (23 May 2020 - 10:13 PM)

Little do we realize that the Perceptor in question is the Mini-Con combiner. :p

@  -LittleAutob... : (23 May 2020 - 10:11 PM)

He would!!!

@  -LittleAutob... : (23 May 2020 - 10:11 PM)

Horrible consequences? I... Doubt that would happen.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 May 2020 - 09:55 PM)

Even if he would come up with the answer by tomorrow.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 May 2020 - 09:54 PM)

I'd rather not deal with the horrible but unintended consequences of that.

@  -LittleAutob... : (23 May 2020 - 09:52 PM)

Lets let Perceptor make a vaccine for COVID-19. Who agrees with me :)

@  -LittleAutob... : (23 May 2020 - 08:43 PM)

I'll take your word for it. =D

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 May 2020 - 08:42 PM)

Although the TV edits of Robocop do contain some hilarity

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 May 2020 - 08:41 PM)

I can't think of any instance where sanitizing a film is a good thing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (23 May 2020 - 06:42 PM)

.... and thats a good thing? :doh

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 May 2020 - 06:39 PM)

I'm watching Predator on Starz! That means it has all the language and gore uncensored!

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek General Discussion

3430 replies to this topic

#2561 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6451 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:29 PM

Most of that is fair, but at the time I enjoyed Voyager in part because it wasn't DS9. DS9 had the narrative and character development, Voyager had the almost anthology like quality to allow randomly tuning in and be able to enjoy the show. I liked both, DS9 more of course, but the contrasts were complimentary in a way. I suppose it's unfortunate that's all they ever really strived for because they could've done so much more, but DS9 filled the "so much more" niche for me.

I've watched DS9 in the last couple years and it holds up rather well. Dat SD video quality is a little rough, but still some damn fine TV.

I haven't seen Voyager since it aired, but I imagine it doesn't hold up amazing overall and that's where a lack of ambition is going to hurt them; longevity. I guess that's less important when you've already raked in that sweet, sweet syndie money. I can think of several episodes that if I marathoned it I would have to fight the urge to skip even though I haven't seen them since the 90s. Vision quests? Warp 10? Fairhaven? *groooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaan*

The only Trek convention I went to years and years ago, I was surprised to find Robert Beltran was an absolutely hilarious individual. Him mocking Chakotay's half baked heritage and sappy New Age vision quests was great. He was there with Robert Picardo, the dude who played Gorn on the original ST, Peter Mayhew, and the gentleman who played Dr. Choatica. Throughout the Q&A no one was asking Choatica any questions and I felt bad for him. I resolved to ask him a question... but couldn't think of any in the remaining thirty minutes. :D Poor guy didn't get a single question. :doh

#2562 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47618 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:40 PM

replicator

#2563 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29091 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:16 AM

I think a lot of the stuff DS9 explored should have been on Voyager. The idea of what does a Federation ship do when it's stranded light years away in uncharted territory. But it never gets touched and instead we get reheated TNG ideas or straight up references.

Voyager should have been about tough choices and continuity driven. It could have pushed the crew's values and made them more rewarding when they found a way to still honour them. But it's lifeless and stale and the same attitude would continue on to hurt Enterprise (boy, I sure am glad that show's finale was really just an extra subplot for an older TNG episode!)

Voyager could have been amazing. Instead it's just boring.

#2564 Telly

Telly

god of kingdom come

• Retired Staff
  • 8570 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:34 AM

One of the saddest things about voyager is that one of their better episodes (to me anyway) didnt even focus on the main characters, but on 4 crewmen not seen before or after said episode (good sheperd)

When youve got 4 (it may have been 3 no i think about it) nobodies that are more interesting than most of your main cast, you got problems
When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#2565 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11650 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:46 AM

Voyager was one of those cases where the writers and the producers clearly wanted very different products. As others have noted, Voyager had a great setup (and, I'll add, some of the most creative alien designs Trek has ever done), but the producers insisted on a heavily episodic series where nothing could have lasting consequences (for fear of alienating viewers, possibly based on ever-reliable Focus Group Analysis of DS9).

Voyager had the perfect setup for a modern binge-friendly Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/CBSWhatever series, it just got here too soon.

#2566 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1348 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:05 AM

If it wasn't for Voyager and Harry Kim, we may not have gotten President Obama. So there's that at least

LOOKDOWN.png

#2567 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1339 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:47 AM

One of the saddest things about voyager is that one of their better episodes (to me anyway) didnt even focus on the main characters, but on 4 crewmen not seen before or after said episode (good sheperd)

I love those types of episodes, as they give an interesting perspective on the main characters.  "Lower Decks" from The Next Generation is one of my favorites for just that reason.  "A View From the Gallery" from S5 of Babylon 5 is also a great example, following a couple of maintenance workers as the station is attacked.

When they first started really bringing out story bits from Discovery, how it was not going to have the captain be the main character that was followed, I almost thought, or at least hoped, that it might have gone this route.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#2568 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6451 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:41 AM

If you have Amazon Prime, for the next 25 hours as part of Prime Day there are some pretty smoking hot deals on Trek series and movie sets.

Since I'm finally picking up DS9 and VOY (I could've typed Voyager, but I wanted to save time by abbreviating it) on DVD I'm looking forward to the inevitable announcement in 6 six months that they're coming to Blu Ray.

Edited by Teufel, 17 July 2018 - 12:45 AM.

#2569 Telly

Telly

god of kingdom come

• Retired Staff
  • 8570 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:07 AM

Since I'm finally picking up DS9 and VOY (I could've typed Voyager, but I wanted to save time by abbreviating it)

but...but...

on DVD I'm looking forward to the inevitable announcement in 6 six months that they're coming to Blu Ray.

even if they do it, you could always sell the regular versions

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#2570 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10793 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:21 AM

When youve got 4 (it may have been 3 no i think about it) nobodies that are more interesting than most of your main cast, you got problems

Just a poor man's "Lower Decks", another TNG recycle.

#2571 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1339 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:22 PM

Since I'm finally picking up DS9 and VOY (I could've typed Voyager, but I wanted to save time by abbreviating it)

but...but...

on DVD I'm looking forward to the inevitable announcement in 6 six months that they're coming to Blu Ray.

even if they do it, you could always sell the regular versions
I don't think it is very likely, there is a pretty good article explaining why TNG was a crazy task, basically recutting the show and recreating all the effects, and why DS9 and Voyager would even be harder sells.

http://www.treknews....-on-blu-ray-hd/
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#2572 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10793 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

So, the rumors were true; Patrick Stewart will be returning to Star Trek in a new CBS All-Access series that's going to tell the story of the next chapter of Jean-Luc Picard's life.

Not so excited about Kurtzman being involved... but certainly worth a look.

http://www.startrek....nic-picard-role

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 04 August 2018 - 07:16 PM.

#2573 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47618 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

So his time as the Federation Ambassador to Vulcan?

#2574 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10793 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

Well, I don't think they let themselves be limited by things that might've been mentioned in other mediums, be it comics or the CBS authorized Pocketverse novels (though I wouldn't so much mind if they borrowed parts from the latter). Nor whatever All Good Things may have hinted at about his future, since it was an alternate future.

#2575 TheSupernova

TheSupernova

Out there... Thataway!

• Citizen
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:29 PM

I haven't been exposed to any of the fiction set post-Nemesis, so they can do whatever they want.

It does seem, though, that Picard won't be in command of a ship, or necessarily even in Starfleet. But, as long as he's still the person we all came to like through TNG, then that's all that matters.

I'm not a man of many words.  When I do have something to say, though, I'll try and make it worth your while!

#2576 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11650 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

Well, I don't think they let themselves be limited by things that might've been mentioned in other mediums, be it comics or the CBS authorized Pocketverse novels (though I wouldn't so much mind if they borrowed parts from the latter).

Though the idea for this apparently comes from Kirsten Beyer, the "Keeper of the Torch" for the novelverse.

EDIT to add (a link to) the relevant tweet.

Edited by Cybersnark, 05 August 2018 - 07:58 AM.

#2577 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 3378 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:47 AM

Honestly, I hope that the TNG films are retconned out and ignored...
QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.

#2578 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47618 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:53 AM

I'd keep Riker finally accepting a ship of his own, but after that yeah there's nothing in the TNG films worth keeping. I'd have said Data's emotion chip but that got progressively forgotten about as the movies wore on anyway.

#2579 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11650 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:06 AM

I like how the novels have spooled things out post-Nemesis, though a lot of it would require explanations that a TV show would probably be better off avoiding.

(Which is not the same as disregarding them, it just means not mentioning them. Don't talk about Data's resurrection, or the Borg no longer existing, or the new DS9 --find new things to explore.)

Admiral Riker is easy, 'cause that's a logical step for his career. Same with having Geordie or Worf show up as captains, or Picard and Beverly having a son (since he exists in both official post-Nemesis timelines) but just leave some things safely off-screen for now.

#2580 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8979 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:12 AM

Have CBS/Paramount ever cared about the Star Trek novels?

I hope they give us a Rian Johnsonized Picard.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users